Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Six Flags Magic Mountain: flash pass

Six Flags Magic Mountain: flash pass

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post November 25th, 2016, 10:35 am

Points on hand: 153.00 Points
Hello all

I'm not quite sure to start a new topic for this, but "bumping" a topic on SFMM doesn't seem like a great idea either, so...

During summer I have to go from Europe to LA. I don't have a lot of time but I really want to visit SFMM. I want to tackle this problem by buying one of their fastpasses. But than I have no experience in this park what so ever. I was wondering about your experience: is this going to be possible with a fast pass?

On their webpage (https://www.sixflags.com/magicmountain/store/flash-pass) I see they offer 3 types of flash passes:
- $40 (normal): reservation equal to current wait time
- $75 (gold): UP TO 50% faster than current wait time
- $115 (platinum): UP TO 90% faster than current wait time

I always considered those passes as being a bit of a "rip off" but I have no choice. Visiting 1 day without a flash pass is going to leave me with a feeling that I have still not visited the park. I really want to try out the bigger (and classic) coasters. I was hoping, with the international experience on this forum, I can get some advice on this topic?

Thanks!

Post November 25th, 2016, 11:34 am
Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
SFMM's flash pass system works well but is also a bit of a ripoff. When I went I also had one day and since it was in the beginning of August and bought the Platinum Pass. I was able to do everything but the Platinum Pass also has some restrictions. None of the Flash Passes let you use X2. Even with the Platinum Pass you have to pay 15 dollars extra for a one time use on X2. You also only get one reservation on TC, Superman, and Full Throttle.

I was able to get on all rides that day even with the Flash Pass restrictions. Another benefit of the Platinum Pass is it allows for rerides without getting off the train.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Post November 25th, 2016, 1:13 pm

Okay, so if I understand well, i can reride if I want but I can also just go to the next ride? And paying $15 for X2 is indeed a rip off but yeah... If you are there just once, you'll do that anyway. Does anybody perhaps knows if they sometimes do Groupon offers (or other offers like that) on their entrance price?

Post November 25th, 2016, 1:16 pm
Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
The reservation system allows rerides on all rides except X2, Full Throttle, Superman, and Twisted Colossus.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Post November 25th, 2016, 2:32 pm

Points on hand: 5,701.00 Points
Six Flags Magic Mountain is a park that often requires two days to do all coasters, particularly on weekends during the summer. From mid-June to mid-August, the park is typically busy every day, and lines are usually 60-90 minutes for the headliner coasters (longer on Saturdays). Therefore, if you only have one day and want to ride everything, a Flash Pass is well worth the investment.

The Flash Pass at SFMM consists of a small device called a Q-Bot. This device allows you to pick a ride and make a reservation for your time to ride. Your return time will be based on the actual wait at the ride and the level you purchase. For example, if a ride has a 60 minute line, your return time will be in 60 minutes with Regular, 30 minutes with Gold, and 6 minutes with Platinum. Once it is time to ride, your Q-Bot will alert you, then you just go to the attraction and enter through the Flash Pass entrance. For most rides, this admits you directly to the station platform, where you will typically wait two or three trains before boarding. Your Flash Pass will be scanned for entry at the attraction, but after it is scanned you are free to make another reservation and do not have to wait until after you ride.

Flash Pass is available on all coasters (except the kiddie rides), water rides, and Lex Luthor, but some rides have restrictions. Full Throttle and Twisted Colossus both require the purchase of at least a Gold Flash Pass to gain entry, and both can only be reserved once. New Revolution and Superman: Escape from Krypton also have the one reservation rule, but both require a Platinum Flash Pass. Lastly, X2 is not included by default and requires a $15 upcharge along with at least a Gold Flash Pass...you also only get one ride on this one. All other qualifying rides are available on any Flash Pass and may be reserved an unlimited number of times in a day.

While I have not used Flash Pass at SFMM myself (as it is my home Six Flags), I have used it at several other Six Flags parks. Based on my experience, I recommend purchasing the Gold level with an X2 add-on unless you are visiting on a Saturday, in which case you should spring for Platinum. While Platinum does include a couple additional rides, it no longer allows for double rides and is therefore a significant ripoff. Additionally, Superman is often a walk-on on any day except Saturday if you get up there within the first 45 minutes or so. New Revolution will be a bit of a wait if they are still doing VR next year, but without VR it would likely be less than 20 minutes most days. Even if you can only afford Regular, you should have no difficulty getting on all the coasters in a day as long as you purchase a Flash Pass.
Coaster Count: 535 (114 wood, 444 steel); Park Count: 110
Top 5 Wood: El Toro, Voyage, Thunderhead, Outlaw Run, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel: Superman the Ride, Fury 325, Millennium Force, X2, Intimidator 305

Post May 19th, 2017, 10:18 am

BUMP (sorry). I want to buy tickets for Six Flags Magic Mountain now but I was wondering if there are any "locals" on this forum who can tell me where I can find the cheapest tickets? I am visiting 3 parks during our trip to the West-Coast:
- Six Flags Magic Mountain
- Knotts
- Universal Hollywood

If anybody has any ideas, that'd be great thanks! :)

Points on hand: 5,657.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
Buy online 3 days in advance.
[19:34:14] RideWarriorNation: jim
[19:34:27] RideWarriorNation: can you pls change sig
[19:35:22] Jcoasters: ok
[19:35:39] RideWarriorNation: ty

Post May 21st, 2017, 11:49 am

Jcoasters wrote:
Buy online 3 days in advance.

Oh okay :)

The same for knotts and universal hollywood?

I don't know, check out their websites. I think Knott's has an online,advance discount too

Get there early of course so you can be in the front of the line and then sprint to your ride of choice. I'd say X2 and then over to Tatsu before it gets too crazy. Remember that x2 runs backwards so the best seat is the front, which is seemingly the back, closest to the entrance of the park. You want this seat. Without spoilers, this by far the best seat. Also, the ride is very rough, especially twords the end, and the front of the train (remember, seemingly the back, it runs backwards) is wayyyy smoother. Be sure to put the harness fairly tight so that you don't jostle around too much, and be sure to brace yourself.

Also, if you've never ridden a standup coaster let me know and I'll give you my tips.

Jcoasters wrote:
I don't know, check out their websites. I think Knott's has an online,advance discount too

Get there early of course so you can be in the front of the line and then sprint to your ride of choice. I'd say X2 and then over to Tatsu before it gets too crazy. Remember that x2 runs backwards so the best seat is the front, which is seemingly the back, closest to the entrance of the park. You want this seat. Without spoilers, this by far the best seat. Also, the ride is very rough, especially twords the end, and the front of the train (remember, seemingly the back, it runs backwards) is wayyyy smoother. Be sure to put the harness fairly tight so that you don't jostle around too much, and be sure to brace yourself.

Also, if you've never ridden a standup coaster let me know and I'll give you my tips.

Thanks for your reply. I have ridden a stand up coaster before (@Drayton Manor, UK): not my best experience. Not bad, but not that "wow-factor" too...

So your recommendation is: first X2, than Tatsu? When I read some reviews on Tripadvisor, I see that F&B is very expensive out there (more expensive than other parks as I read it) and that the staff is very unpolite. I assume that these are just people with a bad experience? Negative reviews are always easier to find than positive ones (all over the internet about every company).

Post May 28th, 2017, 10:25 am

Yeah the food is expensive, the staff isn't the best there are plenty of nice people of course, yeah some people just leave super negative reviews. My recommendation would be to wake up early and eat a power breakfast, then bring in all your food. You can go to Whole foods in Valencia off McBean Parkway and use their "pay per pound" buffet/salad bar thing, they also have like pizza and stuff. To be honest, I'm cheap as love so I just normally pack a poop ton of like peanuts and tortillas or food I cook prior and bring in a container. So yeah, my recommendation would be to stop at a store that morning, probably in Valencia, and get some food to eat for lunch and dinner. There's a little grassy area with tress and some benches in the middle of the parking lot you can eat at, maybe park close to it, up to you.

As far as ride's go, yeah that's what I would do first, making sure to get there early and be first in line for entry. After that I would loop around to the back and do Apocalypse, Riddler's, and stuff. I mean, the longest line is probably X2, a lot of people get in it late at night too so I'd get it over with before it gets hectic, some days can be like 3 or 4 hour wait if it's a jam pack day. If you're getting the flash pass, It might be worth it to pay the $15 for a second go as it's pretty unique, or just use that pass on your first go up to you. The longest lines after that will probably be Tatsu, Twisted colossus, and Goliath in about that order, so one of those would be my recommendation for first go. If you run to twisted colossus, you might be able to get a ride in both front and back before the lines get super long, it's definitely a ride you wanna get both experiences in, like most of it's type. Scream never really has long lines, Batman, apocalypse, and riddler's are a mixed bag depending on how many people are there. I've been on days where there's an hour wait for Tatsu yet a walk on to Riddler's, but generally they have shorter lines than like X2 and stuff. Full throttle has short trains and is near the front of the park so that kinds love it up sometimes.

If you are going to ride each coaster once here is my recommendation seat:

X2: Front row, remember that it is seemingly the back row while loading. I don't remember which side of the train I prefer, but I think the right side while loading because it's on the outside during the turn. I just forget which one is smoother during the fly to lie, either way brace yourself haha.

Tatsu: Front row left seat, because it's flying and places you on the outside of the overbank, drop, and fountain turn. Either edge in front is great though.

Apocalypse: Back row, nice airtime on the drop.

Viper: idk, I avoid viper I haven't ridden it since I was like 12 lol, but my guess is the front is smoothest.

Riddler's: Back row, very right seat (this is taken from the riders perspective, so the seat closest to the loading side of the station). You get some wicked ejector during the turn/hill into the final corkscrew and the hang time on the loop is fantastic. By far my favorite seat of the ride because it has the most airtime, however the front is really cool too of course. Probably one of my favorite rides ever, when the restraints are used properly the standing hang time and airtime is just incredible.

Batman: I like the front just for the view, but whatever.

Full Throttle: The back gets great airtime on the final top hat.

Twisted Colossus: If you're going to ride it once, I vote back, but I recommend a ride in both front and back.

Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Is the repaint done yet on Riddler? I was assuming there would be more pictures of it plastered around the internet.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Dunno, moved to nor cal like a year ago.

Post May 28th, 2017, 11:42 pm

Points on hand: 5,701.00 Points
^^Riddler's repaint won't be done until at least mid-June. The ride is scheduled to open at the same time as Justice League, which is looking like a late June/early July opening at this point.

HussRainbow wrote:
BUMP (sorry). I want to buy tickets for Six Flags Magic Mountain now but I was wondering if there are any "locals" on this forum who can tell me where I can find the cheapest tickets? I am visiting 3 parks during our trip to the West-Coast:
- Six Flags Magic Mountain
- Knotts
- Universal Hollywood

If anybody has any ideas, that'd be great thanks! :)

For SFMM, buy your ticket at least a week in advance on the website. Tickets start at $57.99 if you purchase at least 7 days before visiting, then they begin to rise. For Knott's, you can get up to a $30 discount if you purchase tickets in advance online. However, the discount does vary by day, so a Knott's ticket will only be valid for a specific day. USH is the same as Knott's...check the website for prices on the specific day you plan to visit.

I'm going to disagree a bit with Jcoasters on strategy. In my experience, X2 frequently doesn't open at park opening, and it is not uncommon for it to have a shorter line mid-afternoon, so I generally recommend you don't go there first. Instead, I recommend starting with Full Throttle, then heading around the park counter-clockwise and doing each coaster as you get to it. Aim to reach X2 around 3-4 P.M. and you will often be rewarded with a wait under 30 minutes (assuming they aren't running one train). If you opt to purchase a Flash Pass (recommended if you only have one day), the exact order won't matter much.

In general, SFMM's longest lines are for New Revolution (due to VR), Tatsu, X2 (other than the mid-afternoon sweet spot), Goliath, and Full Throttle in that order, with all five generally reaching an hour or more on most summer days. Twisted Colossus is the park's highest capacity coaster, so its line is rarely that bad...from the entrance it is only 30 minutes. Superman, Riddler's, and Apocalypse are highly variable...they could be a walk-on at one point and an hour wait later in the same day (in general, the earlier the better for these, especially Superman). With the exception of Green Lantern (which is skippable IMO), nothing else in the park usually gets a wait more than 15-20 minutes on an average summer weekday. Note that weekend crowds are generally at least double weekday times, so if you are visiting on a Saturday or Sunday assume double these numbers.

Regarding food, Six Flags parks in general are the most expensive for food, and SFMM is no exception. For an entree, side, and drink, expect to pay about $20. I have rarely encountered unpolite employees, but service is often slow at food stands, so either eat as early as possible (most restaurants open at 11:30), or wait until after 2 P.M. to avoid the lunch rush. I usually try to eat a late lunch and then get dinner after leaving the park when I visit. If you do choose to bring food for a picnic, note that absolutely nothing is allowed to be brought into the park, and security will make you discard anything except unopened water bottles prior to entering.
Coaster Count: 535 (114 wood, 444 steel); Park Count: 110
Top 5 Wood: El Toro, Voyage, Thunderhead, Outlaw Run, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel: Superman the Ride, Fury 325, Millennium Force, X2, Intimidator 305

Hi all

Wow, thanks for all the feedback. That'll be really helpful during my visit. I must say: I am looking forward to my visit @ sfmm but Knotts is not coming up in my mind so much. I see it more as a "must have done that park". I only have a few "must-do's" in Knotts: Silver Bullet and Xcelerator. Due to budget reasons I'm not going to buy a flash pass for Knotts.

Anyway, thanks for all the feedback, I'm looking forward to my first visits to both parks! :)

Return to General Theme Park Discussions