Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Splash Canyon (Drayton Manor) Incident 09/05/17

Splash Canyon (Drayton Manor) Incident 09/05/17

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Points on hand: 5,955.00 Points
Ok, f*ck her honestly. Entirely not the park's fault.
Ok but how desperate you have to be to voluntarily fly from another country to go to Thorpe?

Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

100% rider error.
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
skyscraper wrote:
Update: the victim's mother is planning to SUE Drayton Manor.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... wning.html

I am so glad this is the UK and not the US. In the US she probably would have won.

Let's hope the judge has common sense in their mind.
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,053.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
Dirk_Ermen wrote:
skyscraper wrote:
Update: the victim's mother is planning to SUE Drayton Manor.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... wning.html

I am so glad this is the UK and not the US. In the US she probably would have won.

Let's hope the judge has common sense in their mind.

There is a chance that the HSE will say that the park didn't do enough to prevent the accident occurring (this is commonly what happens in the construction industry) and if they do end up deciding that's the case they'll have the backing of an independent body on their side.

Hopefully the HSE have common sense in their mind.
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Points on hand: 6,049.50 Points

Don't think she is going to win, but may get a settlement from the insurance company to just go away. Unless they can prove Drayton knew or should have known a hazard was occuring and did not do anything.

Several years ago in the US there was a major lawsuit about an accident where a guest removed their seat belt and was ejected from a ride.

Nothing was found to be wrong mechanically, all the maintenence records were in order, they should have won.

The park lost only because it was ruled there was not suffcient signage as to the hazards, even if the hazard was obvius.

The following season every park with a legal department in the country had to update their signs and meet the new standards that had been outlined in the case.

Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

This is why we are doomed as a species
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Points on hand: 0.00 Points
Bank: 15,208.00 Points
Updates:

1. The BBC are reporting that the victim died of chest injuries, not drowning.

An 11-year-old girl who fell from a theme park water ride suffered fatal chest injuries, police have said.

Evha Jannath, from Leicester, was on a school trip when she fell from the Splash Canyon ride at Drayton Manor Theme Park on 9 May.

An inquest into her death was opened and adjourned on Wednesday.

The South Staffordshire Coroner's office said she died from "blunt force chest trauma" and a further inquest hearing would be heard on Tuesday.

Staffordshire Police and the Health and Safety Executive are jointly investigating the incident at the park.

More than 100 mourners attended Evha's funeral service at Saffron Hill Cemetery in Leicester on Tuesday.

The Muslim Burial Council of Leicestershire said Evha's death had "touched the hearts of many people".

The theme park, near Tamworth, Staffordshire, closed for three days following the death but reopened on Saturday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39953060

2. The inquest hearing date has been set for Monday 6th November.

THE provisional date for the inquest hearing regarding the death of a girl who fell from a ride at Drayton Manor and later died has been announced.

Eleven-year-old Evha Jannath was on the Splash Canyon ride at the Tamworth-based park when she fell in the water and suffered serious injuries. She was airlifted to Birmingham Children's Hospital but died shortly after arriving.

South Staffordshire Coroner's Office has confirmed that the hearing is due to take place on Monday, November 6 this year.

A spokesman for the coroner's office told the Herald: "The inquest for Evha Jannath has opened and is immediately adjourned. The provisional date for the hearing will take place on November 6."

Drayton Manor remained closed for three days following the incident, the park is now open but the Splash Canyon ride remains closed.

Staffordshire Police confirmed today (May 17) that Evha died from 'chest injuries'.

http://www.tamworthherald.co.uk/inquest ... ry.html?11

Points on hand: 0.00 Points
Bank: 15,208.00 Points
(Sorry for the double post)

Update:

Reports are now saying that the victim may have got hit by another boat while trying to climb out of the water.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/21/girl-kill ... t-6651145/

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
^ You should go on updating such important news for us - we appreciate you!
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Previous

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!