Board index Roller Coaster Games NoLimits Coaster 2 Inversion rule of thumb, please?

Inversion rule of thumb, please?

All discussion relation to NoLimits Coaster 2 should be posted here. Purchase NoLimits Coaster from this page: nolimits-coaster-2-purchase-and-upgrade-links-t32524.html

Post July 16th, 2017, 4:17 pm

Points on hand: 3,557.00 Points

Post July 17th, 2017, 5:25 am
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,048.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

Post July 17th, 2017, 9:02 am

Points on hand: 3,557.00 Points
My bad. It's a very vague post. I wanted to know inversion rules of thumbs. I mainly wanted to know how many inversions are too many for one coaster and if 10 - 15 is acceptable realistically (despite my name :D). But any other tid bits about inversions would be helpful.

Post July 17th, 2017, 9:18 am

Points on hand: 2,347.00 Points
Most inversions on a rollercoaster is the Smiler with 14.

Post July 17th, 2017, 9:55 am
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,048.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
10 is also fairly common given the Intamin 10-loop models.

Useful Link: https://rcdb.com/rhr.htm?m=4
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post July 17th, 2017, 10:35 am

Points on hand: 15,350.90 Points
Anywhere from 3 to 7 seems like an extremely common number. No reason you couldn't make a ride with 15 inversions, tho you'd have to be careful to not make it feel too repetitive.

Post July 17th, 2017, 11:05 am

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
Up to 20, IMHO, if combined well! Let's have high hopes for inversions! :D
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Post July 17th, 2017, 10:55 pm

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points
I would say that it depends almost entirely on what style of coaster you are trying to create / emulate the style of.

As said, Smiler, an Infinity Coaster model from Gerstlauer, has 14 inversions. Personally I wouldn't go more than that because it is, in my own opinion, just gratuitous. The same coaster model has a layout with 1 inversion (Schwur des K??rnan at Hansa Park).
Also as mentioned, if you want to make an Intamin compact 10-inversion type, go check out videos of Colossus at Thorpe Park or Altair at Cinecitt?? World. Intamin has also made some custom models such as Fahrenheit at Hersheypark with 6 inversions.
If you're wanting to make a B&M multi-looper; say, an inverted coaster, floorless coaster, stand-up coaster, sit-down coaster, wing coaster, whatever; they range anywhere from like 4 to 7 inversions. Although, some are as low as 3 and as high as 8 (see Dragon Khan at PortAventura). You really do have a lot of freedom with B&M in terms of both train style and inversion count.
If you want to make an older classic Arrow Dynamics large multi-looper, check out ones like Vortex at Kings Island, Viper at Six Flags Magic Mountain, the defunct Shockwave at Six Flags Great America.
Rocky Mountain Construction - eh, pick a number. Some have zero and we haven't seen the completed Mean Streak or Hurler yet.
I could go on but you get the idea. Think about what you're really trying to design and go check out real world examples carefully.

If all else fails, just bend the "rules" and make whatever the heck ya want.
X2 ??? Intimidator 305 ??? Millennium Force ??? Iron Rattler ??? El Toro ??? Fury 325 ??? Maverick ??? Skyrush ??? Twisted Timbers ??? Voyage

Post July 18th, 2017, 9:10 am

Points on hand: 15,350.90 Points
tiepilot35 wrote:
Rocky Mountain Construction - eh, pick a number. Some have zero and we haven't seen the completed Mean Streak or Hurler yet.
I could go on but you get the idea. Think about what you're really trying to design and go check out real world examples carefully.

If all else fails, just bend the "rules" and make whatever the heck ya want.

Not sure if I've seen anyone advertise a 'most inversions on a woodie' record yet, so maybe you could do that.

Post July 21st, 2017, 3:41 pm
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
Unrealistic Coasters wrote:
My bad. It's a very vague post. I wanted to know inversion rules of thumbs. I mainly wanted to know how many inversions are too many for one coaster and if 10 - 15 is acceptable realistically (despite my name :D). But any other tid bits about inversions would be helpful.

There is no rule. Do what feels good for you. Just as long it's still fun and not repetitive in your eyes. Don't limit yourself on what certain companies haven't done yet.
(12+ years ago people complained a Zero G stall was a badly designed zero g roll. But look what RMC is doing now all over the place. ;) )
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Return to NoLimits Coaster 2