Board index Public Relations Contests Traveling/Rentable NL2 Coaster Contest: Start Building!

Traveling/Rentable NL2 Coaster Contest: Start Building!

Only official CoasterCrazy.com Contests are posted here.

Points on hand: 3,123.00 Points
Playing around with the idea of this: objective is to design a modern, fun, innovative, tiny, traveling coaster. The contest would have a length and height restriction. My idea is for contestants to make 3 rides, a euro fighter, a spinner, and a 3rd of their choice to adapt into a tiny, functional and exceptionally fun traveling coaster. Ratings will be based on following rules, trackwork and forces, layout, innovation, support work, all tied into cost efficiency. All 3 rides per person would be rated, but individual best ride would be chosen to declare winner. I'll work out specifics later, I wanna gauge interest. Could be fun!

Edit: Start building! (If you haven't already)
Due: Sept 25, 00:00 / 12:00 midnight, Central Time (plenty of time)
Submit to: kgadaw2@uic.edu

Don't worry about an entry list. Anyone can pick up and play/submit at their leisure. Post any progress in here to hype/intimidate the others!

Rules:
Alright, after poking around a bit, I've got some details and more specifics to share. I really don't want to limit anyone's vision here, so the only rides I won't allow are any styles that seat more than two people wide(see below). I want everyone to keep in mind what would be cost effective, so: tie spacing, spine types, train length, train count, track length, avg track height. Since we're trying to keep this as real feeling as possible, I looked into rentable boom trucks/carry deck cranes and came to the conclusion that for fairs to want to rent or purchase a temporary coaster, we have to keep the height to a maximum of 55'. Most common boom trucks and highway-legal carry deck cranes that are reasonable for a fair setup would support about this height. I don't expect or require any scenery to be used. I will expect the track and supports to look immaculate. Keep in mind that footer wouldn't actually be poured for a temporary structure. Everyone, do your research to figure out how to properly design your ride for our temporary, movable, reusable scenario.

So, actual rules:
-Max Height, 55'
-No B&M, No Vekoma Laydown, No 4D, and No Wooden Coasters with wooden supports (Wooden coaster with metal supports is cool)
-May Be: Circuit or Shuttle
-All Transport Devices Are Allowed (Note: If you use electro-magnetic transport, keep in mind the higher cost. Keep your layout even shorter and lower if you decide to use a launch, or compensate elsewhere to help reduce manufacturing cost.)
-No Min or Max Car Count per Train (using one or two cars per train should be max, but there are scenarios where you could very easily go longer)
-No Max Track Length (Note: if your ride appears too long, too large, or not self contained, it won't be well received during judging)
-Max Ride Time of 2:00, Time Works as Follows: From exiting the station to first touching the final brake run. (So, NOT from leaving the station to arriving at the station)

Any well-versed and experienced NLers wanna help judge?
Last edited by strata force on September 21st, 2017, 12:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post August 16th, 2017, 2:50 am
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,048.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
I am intrigued although the thought of completing 3 separate coasters kind of puts me off.
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post August 16th, 2017, 8:16 am

We could just do one, I'd make a full list of what's types allowed for it

Post August 16th, 2017, 8:57 am

Points on hand: 3,149.00 Points

Sounds fun!
Coaster count: 28 1. Fury 325 2. Twisted Cyclone 3. Goliath (sfog) 4. Intimidator 5. Afterburn

Post August 16th, 2017, 10:40 am

Points on hand: 483.00 Points
Bank: 19,590.00 Points
How about using this coaster? A super compact coaster.

screenshot-2017-08-16-12-39-55.png

Post August 16th, 2017, 11:04 am

Points on hand: 15,350.90 Points
^
You appear to be working under the assumption that the rules will just happen to be in line with what you've built.

Post August 16th, 2017, 4:09 pm

Points on hand: 1,389.00 Points

Post August 16th, 2017, 10:52 pm

Alright, after poking around a bit, I've got some details and more specifics to share. I really don't want to limit anyone's vision here, so the only rides I won't allow are any styles that seat more than two people wide(see below). I want everyone to keep in mind what would be cost effective, so: tie spacing, spine types, train length, train count, track length, avg track height. Since we're trying to keep this as real feeling as possible, I looked into rentable boom trucks/carry deck cranes and came to the conclusion that for fairs to want to rent or purchase a temporary coaster, we have to keep the height to a maximum of 55'. Most common boom trucks and highway-legal carry deck cranes that are reasonable for a fair setup would support about this height. I don't expect or require any scenery to be used. I will expect the track and supports to look immaculate. Keep in mind that footer wouldn't actually be poured for a temporary structure. Everyone, do your research to figure out how to properly design your ride for our temporary, movable, reusable scenario.

So, actual rules:
-Max Height, 55'
-No B&M, No Vekoma Laydown, No 4D, and No Wooden Coasters with wooden supports (Wooden coaster with metal supports is cool)
-May Be: Circuit or Shuttle
-All Transport Devices Are Allowed (Note: If you use electro-magnetic transport, keep in mind the higher cost. Keep your layout even shorter and lower if you decide to use a launch, or compensate elsewhere to help reduce manufacturing cost.)
-No Min or Max Car Count per Train (using one or two cars per train should be max, but there are scenarios where you could very easily go longer)
-No Max Track Length (Note: if your ride appears too long, too large, or not self contained, it won't be well received during judging)
-Max Ride Time of 2:00, Time Works as Follows: From exiting the station to first touching the final brake run. (So, NOT from leaving the station to arriving at the station)

I'll edit and post updates if I need to add or change something. If anyone sees any problems or has suggestions, feel free to shout them out. Let me know if you're still interested at this point, and I'll write up a contestant list. Must join by 8/23 11:59pm Central.
Last edited by strata force on August 30th, 2017, 10:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post August 22nd, 2017, 10:19 pm

Might as well wait longer for more players, prolly after 5hrs o' power.

Post August 23rd, 2017, 2:15 am

Points on hand: 0.00 Points
Bank: 15,018.00 Points
I think It's about time i entered my first Nl2 contest, and this sounds like something i could manage. I'm in!

Post August 23rd, 2017, 12:50 pm

Points on hand: 110.00 Points

Post August 24th, 2017, 2:49 am
mkingy User avatar

Just to clarify - 55 foot tall - to be measured from default ground level to top of rails? (ie. if I place a footer, then a 55 foot long vertical beam that'll be considered as 55 feet?
Coaster Count - 198

Post August 24th, 2017, 8:40 pm

Yup, most of the Rentable cranes went just over 57 so a 55' grounded footer would work just perfectly.

Post August 25th, 2017, 9:25 am

Points on hand: 529.00 Points
I've actually tried to make a funfair coaster. Never finished it though. Too bad it's 30 feet over the height limit... not sure if it's too late to join, but if it's not, I'm down to give it a shot

Post August 30th, 2017, 4:43 am
mkingy User avatar

Post August 30th, 2017, 7:07 am

Post August 30th, 2017, 7:08 am
PvM User avatar

Points on hand: 8,245.00 Points

Sounds like a fun contest but I guess I'm too late to join now, right?

Post August 30th, 2017, 8:49 am
mkingy User avatar

Pretty sure it's not too late to join :)

And I'm pretty sure it started when he posted the rules!
Coaster Count - 198

Post August 30th, 2017, 9:32 am

Just started building my entry!

EDIT:
Ive got a small, rectangular coaster that does five laps. Would it have a ride time within the 2 minute limit, or should i reduce the lap count?

Post August 30th, 2017, 12:04 pm

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
^ I know that you're still new to building your tracks, but good luck to you! Fingers crossed! :D
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

I updated the original post with the due date! Anyone who wants to try may participate and submit. I'll provide an email to submit to probably within the week/few days of due date.

@skyscraper: as long as it is not longer than 2 minutes at the completion of 5 laps, you're in the clear. If not, reduce or rethink.

Is there a way to get the entrance and exit stairs of the default station on the same side, or do only certain coaster styles allow it?

Points on hand: 212.00 Points
Is it ok if you make a bayern kurve esque ride or do I need to make an actual coaster?

mkingy User avatar

Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
I'm quite tempted on just importing my old NL1 ride: Y2Z. But I would need to find my NL1 files first. :lol:
It was a mini traveling launched maurer ride. I believe the template was something like 30m by 20m or so. Really tiny, yet still awesome.

Edit: Found it and imported:
screenshot-2017-09-05-00-39-23.png

I'll probably tweak certain parts to improve it slightly. But if this is all valid. I'm in.
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Next

Return to Contests