Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park Meets UK Mini Meet-Up: SW8 opening!

UK Mini Meet-Up: SW8 opening!

Planning a theme park visit? Post it here to organize a theme park meet with other members of the site. You can't go wrong with taking another enthusiast with you!

mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,048.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
Im fairly certain Herman is coming from the Netherlands too so you might be able to catch a similar flight then I'd be able to sort you out some transport (Id have floorspace / blow up bed at mine but ive already offered Herman the spare room!)

Depending on when Herman is flying and flying to Im considering Blackpool or similar either side of the weekend too. Otherwise it might be a case of getting nearby and I think we can work out me picking you up en route if nobody else can. Or of course you can drive yourself - public transport to uk theme parks is... Not easy.
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

herman116 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 7,471.00 Points
I just booked my flights:

I will depart from Eindhoven to Manchester at 16:10 in the afternoon with flight FR3235.
On the Monday I booked a flight from Manchester to Amsterdam that will leave at 19:00 so that there will be time to go to Blackpool (flight EZY1835).

According to the website of Blackpool, it won't be opened on 23 march, but luckily it will be opened on 26 march. So looks like it should be possible to go there. :)

mkingy User avatar

Sounds like a plan! I'll book the relevant days off :)
Coaster Count - 198

PvM User avatar

Points on hand: 8,245.00 Points

I'll look into it too tomorrow, I'll have to see if I'll be available during that weekend. Anyway thanks for offering the ride and place to sleep, mkingy!

Points on hand: 117.00 Points
I am very interested in this trip. Count me in plz!
Always remember:

What goes up, must come down!

PvM User avatar

I checked and I'll be able to join too. I'll book the same flights as Herman so transport from and to the airport can be fixed easily.

mkingy User avatar

With Jammy, Herman and PvM that fills up my car / house space without looking into getting a rental.
Coaster Count - 198

Points on hand: 1,079.00 Points
I'm going to start booking accommodation/transport at the end of January once payday rolls round. So Seth, Meta and I are staying on site at Alton Towers, and most likely in a hotel for Thorpe Park and Chessington. I won't be joining for Blackpool purely because Icon won't be open for this trip.

mkingy User avatar

Have Blackpool actually hinted at mid-late spring?

Spring is March-May and the a good deal of trackwork was installed before Christmas - Helix went from track complete to (press) opening in little over a month (source: http://coasterforce.com/forums/threads/ ... 97/page-17), if trackwork is done by mid February surely it's possible this would open by the end of March barring any serious problems?
Coaster Count - 198

It's not future problems I'm concerned about. It's the fact that the foundation work mess up last year pushed them back by at least a couple of weeks. Several sources are stating that Icon won't be open till about April.

herman116 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

PvM wrote:
I checked and I'll be able to join too. I'll book the same flights as Herman so transport from and to the airport can be fixed easily.

Gezellig! ;)

It would be a fun surprise if Icon would be open. But I think I won't be counting on it.

Post January 6th, 2018, 12:04 pm
Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

THE MAIN MEET DATE HAS CHANGED

To my knowledge the meet date has been moved back by a week or so to allow for more variability with other parks opening and such. This way we can have international and local members travel to more than just one park!
The following dates and parks are now in effect for the mini trip:

March 24
Thorpe Park
Park Link

March 25
Alton Towers
Park Link

March 26
Blackpool Pleasure Beach
Park Link

If you haven't seen this yet please make sure you let us know if you are still attending, who is coming with you and for which parks you'd like to be a part of!
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post January 8th, 2018, 2:48 pm
herman116 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post January 9th, 2018, 11:57 am

Thorpe Park today confirmed their 2018 season starts on Friday 23rd March, so I'd expect Saturday to be VERY busy when we're there. That being said, we've got something new to look forward to in the form of a rethemed X! :)

Post January 10th, 2018, 2:19 pm
PvM User avatar

A friend of mine alerted me on the Merlin annual pass which is on sale right now. For those attending the meet-up and intending to go to Alton Towers, Thorpe Park or Chessington again later this year, this could be a great deal: https://www.merlinannualpass.co.uk/comp ... ale-now-on

@Herman, I still gotta book my flight. I wanna be sure, did you book the flight on the 23rd?

Post January 11th, 2018, 2:23 pm
herman116 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Yup, that's right, I booked it on the friday (23rd).

Post January 12th, 2018, 2:03 pm
PvM User avatar

Post January 14th, 2018, 2:31 pm

I've booked Friday 23rd off, and will be traveling down to Thorpe Park for opening day this season, so if anyone's arriving at Heathrow/Thorpe on the Friday you're more than welcome to join me on park as I'll be staying at a nearby hotel (Staines Travelodge) for the night of the 23rd, to travel up to Towers with Seth and Meta on Saturday evening.

Post February 25th, 2018, 10:35 am
JAMMY User avatar
Event Coordinator
Event Coordinator

Points on hand: 5,820.00 Points
Just under one month to go until the mini meet! Look forward to saying goodbye to those closed season blues! :D
Favourite Park 2016:Still LISEBERG (mmm... HELIX)
Favourite Ride 2016: Still HELIX (at night)

Steam: JAMMYD777
https://twitter.com/JAMMYD778
https://www.youtube.com/JAMMYD778

Post March 8th, 2018, 7:27 pm
Metazoanhaddock User avatar

Points on hand: 3,282.00 Points
Bank: 52,337.00 Points
Getting close boys!
Head Moderator
Director, Structural Engineer - PEAK Amusements
Site Contest Judge (Supporting)
Chatroom Admin