Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Nickelodeon Universe Removing Atomic Collider

Nickelodeon Universe Removing Atomic Collider

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Points on hand: 10,818.00 Points
jimmy-neutron-87.jpg
'Jimmy Neutron' ride being retired at Mall of America's Nickelodeon Universe
It was one of the original rides when the park opened in 1992.

Adam Uren - Apr 11, 2018

This weekend marks the end of an era at the Mall of America.

Jimmy Neutron's Atomic Collider will be retired at Nickelodeon Universe, with visitors getting their last chance to try out the ride this Saturday and Sunday.

It was one of the original attractions at the park, albeit under a different name, when the Mall of America opened in Bloomington in 1992.

The spinning ride rotates cars horizontally and vertically, giving riders the option of how much they want their cars to spin and in which direction.

It's described by BestKidFriendlyTravel as "like The Scrambler, but on steroids" ??? the Scrambler being the amusement rides where cars are spun on two separate, horizontal axes.

Young (or old, in fact) visitors this weekend will be able to take pictures with Jimmy Neutron before they take one last spin.

In its place, the MOA told Bring Me The News it's bringing in "an exciting new attraction which will be announced next week."

https://bringmethenews.com/life/jimmy-n ... n-universe

I'm sad to see it go as it was a very fun and unique ride (I believe this is the last of its kind in the U.S.), but it looks like it's getting old. The park hasn't added any new rides since 2015, and I figured they'd have to remove a ride to add a new one since the park is pretty much landlocked. Now what will they add in its place is the question.

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
I hope something really cool goes in its place. This park used to be brimming with unique flat rides; the Mighty Axe, the Screaming Yellow Eagle, the Mystery Mine Ride motion theater, and this. The removal of this one kind of feels like the end of that classic flat era. It's not a bad thing, because the replacements have all been pretty great: The Gerstlauer Sky Fly replaced Axe, the Mystery Mine Ride removal made room for Spongebob, the Revolution swing ride replaced Eagle. And that Brain Surge ride is really unique and cool. I'm ecstatic the park is evolving, but the Atomic Collider (I still find myself calling it Treetop Tumbler :lol:) is such a fun ride. A couple dozen pops of nice floater air, and switching to backwards rotation was a delight if you were lucky enough to be placed on one of the backwards arms.

Oh well. I look forward to some hopefully good news!
1-Millennium Force | 2-Intimidator 305 | 3-Fury 325
4-Skyrush | 5-Iron Rattler | 6-X2 | 7-Kingda Ka
8-Voyage | 9-Maverick | 10-Monster

Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
Too bad to see another unique flat-ride leave. I do hope it won't be scrapped but a different park will take it over.
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
We'll see what they put in its place.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Traintastic26 News Writer
News Writer

Points on hand: 7,584.00 Points
Good news, we now know what's replacing the Atomic Collider. Bad news, it's a play area themed to Paw Patrol:

Source: https://twitter.com/nickuniverse

Points on hand: 483.00 Points
Bank: 19,590.00 Points

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
God damn it
1-Millennium Force | 2-Intimidator 305 | 3-Fury 325
4-Skyrush | 5-Iron Rattler | 6-X2 | 7-Kingda Ka
8-Voyage | 9-Maverick | 10-Monster

Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
I can't say I'm too surprised.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!