Board index Roller Coaster Games Track Advertising [NL2] Sasquatch - B&M Invert [Released!]

[NL2] Sasquatch - B&M Invert [Released!]

Advertise your ride here to get it ridden and rated!

Post December 13th, 2018, 1:08 am

Points on hand: 2,395.00 Points
Enjoy your ride!
https://www.coastercrazy.com/exchange/d ... k_id=22179

With finals over with, I've finally got a few solid days where I can hone in and wrap up a roller coaster (maybe 2!)
First up I've got Sasquatch, a 2nd generation inspired B&M inverted roller coaster. Once upon a time I was calling this ride The Butcher of Blaviken and had the beginnings of a theme going. TBoB had a MCBR and two wing-overs in the finale, but it had an issue. When a stop was forced on the MCBR, the ride needed wheels to get it to the final brakes, and without them (as was intended) the ride would stall just before the final brakes. The speed of said wheels was higher than I was comfortable with as well.

I decided to play with the idea of this mistake being discovered as it was here, and left the already-built MCBR where it stood and repurposed the support structure for the new hill under the brakes. A new ending was also made, shortening it down to one wing-over.

As for when this will be released, I'm thinking by this weekend. I want to finish the trackwork for another ride as a bit of an easter egg before I upload Sasquatch, as well as a few minor finishing touches for the surrounding park elements.

Sasq_01.png

Sasq_02.png

Sasq_03.png
Last edited by FrankLeeMadere on December 26th, 2018, 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post December 13th, 2018, 7:48 am

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
I think your track design looks really good, and I like what you're trying for in the story, but I don't think it really works. It's a newer B&M and we haven't ever seen B&M make a track design mistake like that. Maybe if it was Intamin :P but then to leave the MCBR I think doesn't fit. If they're going to spend the millions to redo the ending - lets say that's realistic - then I don't think they'd display their mistake unless it was something that happened to make the scene look more aesthetically pleasing.

So anyways track I like...track color could use some work IMO...scene looks great. But the MCBR is very questionable to me.

Post December 13th, 2018, 11:06 am

Maybe this went into track advertising too soon.. XD

I get what you mean about B&M and mistakes, I thought it was asthetically pleasing and created a nice interaction between ride and supports, hence why it's still there, but my taste isn't the gold standard so I'll rethink it.

I don't know that I'm super happy about the color either. The main brown I really like, but the white ties aren't the best. Maybe brown instead? Slightly different brown? I'll play around with it more.

Post December 13th, 2018, 12:36 pm

Points on hand: 1,304.00 Points
Light on top of dark generally looks better for coaster supports/track.
1. Voyage 2. Intimidator 305 3. Maverick 4. Skyrush 5. Mindbender (Galaxyland) 6. Fury 325 7. Kumba 8. Goliath (Six Flags Over Georgia) 9. The Beast 10. Phoenix

Out of 139 creds

Post December 13th, 2018, 2:22 pm

So black supports then?

Edit:
I've tried several combinations where the supports were darker than the spine, but I didn't really like any of them better than what I had previously. I think I'll refer to rides like Montu and Great Bear to support my palette, which have lighter supports and I think they look great. Well, Montu looks great. hehe
So, I've saturated the spine color a bit and matched the ties to it, with the same off-white supports.

And at the end of the day this is the way I like it so :P

Post December 14th, 2018, 8:47 am

You can just switch the track and support colors and see where that gets you.
1. Voyage 2. Intimidator 305 3. Maverick 4. Skyrush 5. Mindbender (Galaxyland) 6. Fury 325 7. Kumba 8. Goliath (Six Flags Over Georgia) 9. The Beast 10. Phoenix

Out of 139 creds

Post December 14th, 2018, 11:06 am

I did switch the colors of the supports and track; didn't like it. If the theme was arbitrary it'd be no problem to switch colors all together, but being Sasquatch/Bigfoot, a dominant brown is more appropriate, I think. So, brown train for Bigfoot, brown track for the trail he leaves in the woods with his big feet and the blur he always causes in photos, and white supports because I couldn't find a better color for them.

I think the color discussion is a bit moot anyway. We can objectively talk about trackwork, supports, layout and element choices, even down to nit picky shaping, but color is more of a creative choice and has no bearing on the performance of the ride. B&M has done white track with brown supports, black with white, blue with tan, pink with white... really, all over the place with color choices.

Post December 15th, 2018, 3:05 am
PvM User avatar

Points on hand: 8,245.00 Points

I also think the track looks great but the story about the MCBR is a bit questionable. I think it could be more believable if you converted it into a different style of track (SLC perhaps) and turn it into remnants of a previous coaster that stood in that area.

Post December 15th, 2018, 4:31 am

PvM wrote:
I also think the track looks great but the story about the MCBR is a bit questionable. I think it could be more believable if you converted it into a different style of track (SLC perhaps) and turn it into remnants of a previous coaster that stood in that area.

Ooohh.. That's good. :)
That's given me a spark to do something a bit more interesting. I had planned on putting a partially built roller coaster on the other side of the river, which would be a preview to my next project. But, I like the idea of it being a roller coaster that once was. Perhaps I'll swindle a roller coaster into the same terrain in a believable way. Could do a 'back to the future' type of project.

In that case, this will get pushed back for some time.

Would a moderator mind moving this discussion over to the hard hat area? Seems it would be more appropriate there at this point.

Scenery near the roller coaster is coming along. Still need benches, lights, trashcans, and such.
screenshot-2018-12-15-03-58-20.png

Here the 28m immelmann is poking out of the dense forest. There are a few good spots in the queue like this, where you can just make out a roller coaster, mimicking the sightings of Bigfoot, but I'll leave those to be seen if you download. :) Which leads to idea number one for the throwback: an old school vekoma roller coaster, most likely of the corkscrew variety, will be the old roller coaster there. It'll be named Bigfoot, to keep theme.
screenshot-2018-12-15-04-04-58.png

Idea number 2: this decently long straight could be a road that is obviously aged during 'Sasquatch' and then back to its pristine self in the golden days of 'Bigfoot.'
screenshot-2018-12-15-04-06-52.png

I could also include some bits of old 'Bigfoot' track near paths or parts of 'Sasquatch' as homage to the original roller coaster.

I've got quite the project on my hands now, so I'll be quite content this winter break in my spare time.
Any and all ideas are welcome. 8-)

Post December 21st, 2018, 7:41 pm

The brilliant yellow and rich black of 'Bigfoot' have faded, but the memory lives on as a part of 'Sasquatch'.
I don't want to give too much more of the ride away before uploading, so here's a similar angle that still shows some of the work that has been put into this recently.

screenshot-2018-12-21-19-23-37.png

Very near to done at this point. Maybe another day's work?
Looking at the supports for Bigfoot here again, I'm thinking I may want a few more L-beams crossing on the outside where I had to cut them from the inside, to give rigidity where I took it away so Sasquatch could pass through.

Post December 21st, 2018, 8:27 pm

Points on hand: 483.00 Points
Bank: 19,590.00 Points

Post December 21st, 2018, 10:41 pm

Eventually, yes, but it may not be my next coaster. I've got a pair of woodies to finish yet.

Post December 22nd, 2018, 10:39 am
PvM User avatar

Points on hand: 8,245.00 Points

I really like what you did with the brake run. Looking forward to the release!

Post December 23rd, 2018, 3:14 am

Super late night teaser since it's winter break and I made too many goals for one evening. :)
screenshot-2018-12-23-03-10-44.png

[edit]
Sorry, I've already shown that angle.. but a keen eye will see at least a few small details that are noteworthy. I'm planning to release on Wednesday after Christmas.

Happy holidays all.

Post December 26th, 2018, 7:25 am

So was Bigfoot an arrow launched looper? And having dilapitated track stand over a new coasters track looks very strange... merry belated Christmas!

Out of 139 creds

Post December 26th, 2018, 10:49 am

Fixing up dilapidated track is the business model for RMC. Can't let them be the only ones in that market.

Post December 26th, 2018, 11:31 am

Points on hand: 483.00 Points
Bank: 19,590.00 Points

Post December 26th, 2018, 12:16 pm

Sometime after 7 (Central)
Heading home today. I'll do a comb through and make sure I didn't miss anything before uploading.

Return to Track Advertising