Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions What is Cedar Point adding in 2020?

What is Cedar Point adding in 2020?

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post September 13th, 2018, 12:01 pm

Points on hand: 1,304.00 Points
What do we think Cedar Point has up their sleeves for 2020? According to Rob Decker, a Cedar Fair designer, it will be ???bigger and badder than Steel Vengeance.??? Does he mean literally as in the first Polar coaster or a coaster taller than 205???, or one that is very technologically advanced? I have a theory but I want to hear yours too.

If you want to, follow this format:
What: The coaster???s ride model (i.e. B&M Floorless, Intamin Hyper)
Who: The builder of the coaster
You don???t need to put a when, because that???d be 2020
Where: The location of this coaster???s footprint
Why: Explanation for your prediction (industry trends, record snatching, etc)
1. Voyage 2. Intimidator 305 3. Maverick 4. Skyrush 5. Mindbender (Galaxyland) 6. Fury 325 7. Kumba 8. Goliath (Six Flags Over Georgia) 9. The Beast 10. Phoenix

Out of 139 creds

Post September 13th, 2018, 2:06 pm

Points on hand: 483.00 Points
Bank: 19,590.00 Points

Post September 13th, 2018, 2:09 pm

cool5 wrote:
A jet coaster? I would love that!

We need to resurrect TOGO, or have Golden Horse build a second side of Valravn so it can duel. But still what is the most realistic, or feasable option for CP 2020? I know the launched B&M flyer rumor was hot in 2016, then the polercoaster/lifthill strata, and now a GCI I guess
1. Voyage 2. Intimidator 305 3. Maverick 4. Skyrush 5. Mindbender (Galaxyland) 6. Fury 325 7. Kumba 8. Goliath (Six Flags Over Georgia) 9. The Beast 10. Phoenix

Out of 139 creds

Post September 13th, 2018, 4:21 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
I wouldn't expect anything major unless it involves a ride replacement for the next 5 years.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post September 14th, 2018, 5:18 am
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,048.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
That sort of terminology almost screams "not actually a coaster but we're hinting it".
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post September 14th, 2018, 5:52 am

Points on hand: 1,187.00 Points
Here's an unlikely but interesting thought. What if they brought Intamin in to manufacture more track for Top Thrill Dragster to add to it and have it retake the tallest coaster record (they'd have to speed up the launch, so they could go for world's fastest too). They could even go as far as to give it a new paint job and all. That way the rollercoaster capital of the world can once again be home to the world's tallest rollercoaster.

Post September 14th, 2018, 7:07 am

smartguy86 wrote:
Here's an unlikely but interesting thought. What if they brought Intamin in to manufacture more track for Top Thrill Dragster to add to it and have it retake the tallest coaster record (they'd have to speed up the launch, so they could go for world's fastest too). They could even go as far as to give it a new paint job and all. That way the rollercoaster capital of the world can once again be home to the world's tallest rollercoaster.

I dont see modifying a pre existing coaster in the future b/c a lot of parks did that in the 20s & 30s, but that would be nuts

Out of 139 creds

Post September 16th, 2018, 7:13 pm

Points on hand: 7,295.00 Points
I currently see 3 possible coasters and 3 Possible locations for Cedar Point.

Coaster 1 Possibility is a GCI Wooden Coaster replacing the rest of Shoot The Rapids location with a possible interaction with Snake River Falls The reason for this is Cedar Fair been installing GCI coasters for this being one of my Theories is because of Cedar Fair Relationship with GCI examples are Gold Striker,Mystic Timbers,Prowler,Renegade and them Redoing Ghost Rider plus that is one of the parks Missing Coasters in there line up. A modern-day family thrill for a wooden coaster.

Coaster 2 Possibility is a B&M Flyer. This is the last ride they need for them to have a well rounded B&M Collection. The Location could be where the dorms are rumored to be torn down since they are currently moving the dorms off the property. Also with Cedar Fair Good Relationship with B&M, I see this as a higher possibility if they want another Thrill ride for there big 150th.

the Last Coaster Possibility and what I think is very unlikely is Gerstlauer Infinity Coaster going in the front of the park over by Gatekeeper. It would be a great addition and they have tested the waters with hang time to see how well it could do with the cedar fair chain. I believe it was Well Received for Knotts but not sure how the Cedar Point crowd would react to it. they could even try to break the record for most inversions with this ride.

That is my current Predictions for Cedar Points 150th for 2020.

Post September 16th, 2018, 10:40 pm

Points on hand: 848.00 Points

I'll settle for just about anything that isn't a Polercoaster. Those gimmicky things are what I'd expect to find in places like the Las Vegas Strip or International Drive, not a proper amusement park???especially one like CP.
I, for one, welcome our new RMC overlords.

Post September 24th, 2018, 7:17 am

EccentricGamerCL wrote:
I'll settle for just about anything that isn't a Polercoaster. Those gimmicky things are what I'd expect to find in places like the Las Vegas Strip or International Drive, not a proper amusement park???especially one like CP.

Ikr, I dont even think its gonna be a poler coaster seeing as how much trouble the Orlando one has had
Last edited by Kw6sTheater on January 10th, 2019, 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Out of 139 creds

Post September 24th, 2018, 10:32 am

Points on hand: 15,350.90 Points

Post January 10th, 2019, 8:13 am

Bump. It???s 2019, and we have an inevitable announcement in July/August, or maybe some leaks coming in late spring.

Out of 139 creds

Post January 10th, 2019, 1:32 pm

Post January 10th, 2019, 1:56 pm

deere839 wrote:
My bet is on gci or b&m flyer currently

Welcome back Deere

Out of 139 creds

Post January 10th, 2019, 8:14 pm

Kw6sTheater wrote:
deere839 wrote:
My bet is on gci or b&m flyer currently

Welcome back Deere

Thanks my laptop screen is broken so I'm on my new kindle I got for Christmas until I get my new laptop in a month's so figured to join back to the forums.

Post January 11th, 2019, 1:32 am

Points on hand: 5,701.00 Points
I'm still thinking it will be a major expansion that will include a coaster, but the coaster itself will not be spectacular on its own. A modern wood coaster (most likely GCI given Cedar Fair's history) seems like the most probable in this case as it is the most glaring omission from the park's coaster lineup.
Coaster Count: 535 (114 wood, 444 steel); Park Count: 110
Top 5 Wood: El Toro, Voyage, Thunderhead, Outlaw Run, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel: Superman the Ride, Fury 325, Millennium Force, X2, Intimidator 305

Post January 11th, 2019, 10:53 am

Its Cedar Point, so I think they will be doing that middle ground (between a Raptor and a T-Rex) RMC single rail that was mentioned in IAAPA interviews last year. It could fit into the Wicked Twister/Xtreme Wheels stadium spot and would require the relocation of Tiki Twirl (Which has been done many times before, most recently to make room for Valravn) and fly above the midway over there. Or, they could go the actually interesting route, and put it on Millennium Island, intertwining with Millennium Force and the like. The coaster would break records of the tallest, fastest, longest, steepest and most inverting single rail coaster in the world, plus some firsts for a single rail like over 200 feet (They could go 206+ to make it literally ???Bigger and Badder than Steel Vengeance???, as Rob stated), unique inversions, etc. And then name it Cyclone because that???s a nod to the coaster that stood on that exact site in the ???20s. I suspect we will see 15 records milked out of this design??? because 150 years of Cedar Point. If you???re saying they won???t build a coaster in 2020, then you haven???t studied Cedar Point???s patterns of outdoing their recent major additions for even more significant ones. With their reputation as America???s Roller Coast it would be almost a letdown if they don???t end up building something huge.

Out of 139 creds

Post January 11th, 2019, 8:49 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
1-Millennium Force | 2-Intimidator 305 | 3-Fury 325
4-Skyrush | 5-Iron Rattler | 6-X2 | 7-Kingda Ka
8-Voyage | 9-Maverick | 10-Monster

Post January 14th, 2019, 3:07 am
Traintastic26 News Writer
News Writer

Points on hand: 7,584.00 Points
This article recently came out on Amusement Today, kinda giving an idea of Cedar Point is planning for 2020:

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/cedar ... 4d5a927c3e

For those who can't access the article, here is what it says:

SANDUSKY, Ohio ??? It???s the second oldest amusement park in North America, and in 2020 Cedar Point will celebrate its milestone 150th anniversary.

The planning is already underway, and park officials are asking fans to help pick the perfect retro item to resurrect.

???We???re in a 150th anniversary meeting and want your opinion,??? Cedar Point???s Tony Clark tweeted Thursday afternoon. ???If we could bring a retro CP food item you remember from years ago, what would you want to see? GO!???

Tony Clark

@TonyClarkCP

Ok guys. Need your help. We???re in a 150th Anniversary meeting and want your opinion.

If we could bring back a retro CP food item you remember from years ago, what would you want to see? GO!

3:16 PM - Jan 10, 2019

Dozens of people weighed in, with many fondly pleading to see the return of the unforgettable fruit-shaped drink sippers. Like this one.

But what else is coming for the big 150th anniversary? Clark offered a few more teases when he spoke with WKYC about the 2020 season last September.

???We are, of course, planning some big things. The difficult part for us, is what is that gonna be? Is it gonna be a huge attraction? Or is it gonna be multiple experiences? Or is it gonna be retro everything? You can probably plan on there being lots of retro stuff hearkening back to our early history. Some of it from our history that most of us today remember, so things from maybe the ???70s on. Maybe some new attractions, too. We are planning for that now.???

But wait... There's more!

???If you???re expecting one giant 800-foot roller coaster, probably not gonna happen. But, if you???re expecting multiple cool things, that???s probably more along the lines of what we???re thinking. It???s such a big celebration. You can???t just celebrate with a roller coaster. It???s got to be multiple things, and things for everybody in the family. That???s really what we???re focused on.???

Cedar Point opens for its 2019 season on Saturday, May 11.

Post January 14th, 2019, 7:18 am

Boardwalk revamp with loads of retro throwbacks, RMC single rail (mentioned in the interviews as one between the Raptor and the T-Rex in stature) themed and named to the ???20s Cyclone, and please play 70s music throughout all of Cedar Point pretty please??? just like Family Kingdom does. The coaster wouldnt be the pinnacle of this expansion, but rather would take a backseat to the Boardwalk expansion of yesteryear.

Out of 139 creds

Post December 13th, 2019, 6:16 am
Traintastic26 News Writer
News Writer

Points on hand: 7,584.00 Points
So we now know what Cedar Point is getting in 2020 and its... this:

Cedar Point's 150th Anniversary

The Fun Is Just Beginning

The biggest celebration in Cedar Point's history is upon us. What started as a simple bathing beach in 1870 has grown into a multi-day, American summertime tradition on Lake Erie. For 150 years, Cedar Point has been the backdrop to so many special moments. But it all comes down to one thing - spending time together.

In 2020, we're introducing many ways to celebrate, from a new nighttime spectacular to a river adventure ride for the entire family. You'll find nods to the past, and innovations and changes that signal the future of America's Roller Coast(r).

Be a part of this historic celebration. The FUN is Just Beginning!

Ticket of a Lifetime

An exclusive ticket that can't be found anywhere on Earth! Beginning in February, guests can enter for a chance to win a Ticket of a Lifetime - a ticket that affords them free admission to Cedar Point for the rest of their lives! 150 winners will be chosen throughout 2020 and each winner can enjoy the ride with three select family or friends for a total of four Tickets of a Lifetime per winner. Guests will have the chance to win both online, outside the park and at Cedar Point. Complete details coming soon. Ticket of a Lifetime promotion not open to residents of NY and FL.

Snake River Expedition

Trapper Dan needs your help! Embark on one of his riverboats and be a part of the adventure. Help the crew complete a secret mission, smuggling valuable bounty to safer waters. What is it? We don???t know ??? and it???s best you don???t ask! Beware of a few surprises, twists and turns around every bend ??? it???s not always smooth sailing. Snake River Expedition is scheduled to open May 9.

Celebrate 150 Spectacular

It???s a party fit for a sesquicentennial! See the park???s iconic turning points, innovations and moments in this new multi-sensory nighttime parade with over 100 performers and illuminated floats moving to an original score along the Main Midway each night. The Celebrate 150 Spectacular culminates with an epic street party in Celebration Plaza with performances, dancing, pyrotechnics and music throughout the night! The Celebrate 150 Spectacular runs June 12 ??? August 16.

Food & Beverage

A heaping cup of new and a dash of nostalgia combine for the perfect food & beverage recipe! We???re rolling out the new French Quarter Confections, The Mac Shack mac & cheese bar, an all-new Corral and The C.P. Juice Co., featuring the park???s well-known fruit juice bottles of orange, grape, lemon and apple. But there???s so much more we???re serving, so get your napkins ready ??? it???s time to dine!

Town Hall

Learn more about Cedar Point???s unbelievable history and see how the park transformed from simple bathing beach to massive multi-day resort destination inside the reimagined Town Hall. You???ll also get a glimpse of previously unseen artifacts that include ride blueprints, logo development sketches, concept renderings, scale models, recreated displays of icons like Jungle Larry???s African Safari, Fascination, breathtaking photography and more.

Celebration Central

Pagoda Gift Shop becomes Celebration Central, the hub of 150th anniversary merchandise, special edition collectables and wearables. You can even send a free digital or printed postcard to friends and family, showing them how you???re celebrating our anniversary. Plus, you can start an epic Cedar Point button collection thanks to the new button trading program, and it all starts at the Button Stop right next door.

Anniversary Guest Experiences

A special year brings special opportunities ??? like the chance to be permanently recognized inside the park with our new Legacy Walk. Pick a brick and become a literal part of our foundation! And remember the Courtesy Corps? You???ll see modern-day versions of these information kiosks throughout the park. We???re also introducting new self-guided history tours, Segway history tours and special anniversary events to celebrate a big reason why we???re still here ??? YOU!

Bands In Residence

Cedar Point will be soliciting the best bands from across the region and country to join us in a unique Bands in Residence program. Local and regional bands can submit for consideration to share their music and vocal talent with the millions of guests who visit during the park???s Anniversary season. Chosen bands will perform at one of Cedar Point???s live entertainment venues as part of the program. A few lucky bands will open the main stage for the three festival weekends that close out the 2020 season.

Share Your Memories

We???re also celebrating the very reason we???re here ??? YOU, our valued guests. So, we need your help. We want to share your memories and stories. Your reasons for coming to this special place. Your mementos of coming together. Whether Cedar Point is an annual tradition, or you remember coming here as a kid, we want to share your images, videos and stories with the rest of the world.

Source: https://www.cedarpoint.com/play/events/ ... nniversary

Return to General Theme Park Discussions