Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! SFGAdv 2020 - Jersey Devil Coaster: Custom RMC Raptor

SFGAdv 2020 - Jersey Devil Coaster: Custom RMC Raptor

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Traintastic26 News Writer
News Writer

Points on hand: 7,584.00 Points
Six Flags Great Adventure have begun teasing for their 2020 addition, due to be announced on August 29th along with the rest of the chain:

Rumour has it that this is for the parks next roller coaster. It is speculated that it is going in the Seaport area of the park next to the rapids:

...and in terms of what this coaster is rumoured to be, it is a new single rail project from RMC. Whether this will be either the Raptor or the bigger T-Rex remains to be seen.

Sources:

https://twitter.com/SFGrAdventure/statu ... 3954897921

https://twitter.com/SFGrAdventure/statu ... 8886114306

https://twitter.com/SFGrAdventure/statu ... 3036155904

https://twitter.com/SFGrAdventure/statu ... 8911309824

https://www.reddit.com/r/rollercoasters ... erm=cpforb

Post August 21st, 2019, 10:38 am

Points on hand: 662.00 Points

Post August 22nd, 2019, 9:57 am

Points on hand: 1,187.00 Points
I wonder if the 12 is inversions? If it is a Trex, I feel like maybe they'd go for the US record. Either that or airtime moments possibly. Im puzzled by the letters, E R C Y

Post August 22nd, 2019, 2:26 pm

Points on hand: 2,475.00 Points
At first I thought it would be a Marvel IP, but now I'm thinking it could be Jersey Devil related? Like the myth? Idk, I've been wondering if they'd do something themed to the Jersey Devil forever.

It seems certain to be a dueler/racer, but I hope not a West Coast racer clone.

This is totally fantastical but the "better together or go at it alone" clue makes me wonder if there's ANY chance it could be a dueling Raptor (alone) and T-rex (together)... probably too cool to be true.

It probably will be a WCR clone after all lol

edit: Also "Rivers once flowed here but since have run dry," do we think they're talking about old Adventure River or possibly removing Congo?

Post August 22nd, 2019, 4:13 pm

Points on hand: 662.00 Points
Rumor states that Congo River Rapids is going bye-bye

Post August 22nd, 2019, 10:40 pm

Points on hand: 5,701.00 Points
I heard through the grapevine that Six Flags has ordered two Raptors for 2020, and I highly suspect this is one of them. I doubt it will be a standard model and think there's the possibly it could be dueling, but we'll have to wait until next Thursday to know for sure. I am very certain, however, that this ride is not the world's first T-Rex, as RMC has stated that ride is still years away from being ready and they are focusing on Raptor and IBox coasters for the foreseeable future.
Coaster Count: 535 (114 wood, 444 steel); Park Count: 110
Top 5 Wood: El Toro, Voyage, Thunderhead, Outlaw Run, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel: Superman the Ride, Fury 325, Millennium Force, X2, Intimidator 305

Post August 23rd, 2019, 6:57 am

In that case, not saying it's a T-rex then but doesn't SFGADV seem like a big park for a raptor? GRANTED, I would have said the same about Joker, and the same about Tempesto and Tigris, so I don't even know anymore. What's the capacity like on those? I supposed a dueler would double it.

Post August 23rd, 2019, 10:57 pm

Points on hand: 5,701.00 Points
zacattack1104 wrote:
In that case, not saying it's a T-rex then but doesn't SFGADV seem like a big park for a raptor? GRANTED, I would have said the same about Joker, and the same about Tempesto and Tigris, so I don't even know anymore. What's the capacity like on those? I supposed a dueler would double it.

Based on my observations, a standard Raptor operating with three trains has a higher capacity than a Sky Rocket II but lower than a Free Spin. On a dueling Raptor, however, you'd probably get capacity numbers comparable to most non-B&M coasters designed to operate with only two trains. It'd still be on the lower end for SFGAdv, but probably not so low to be problematic after the newness wears off.
Coaster Count: 535 (114 wood, 444 steel); Park Count: 110
Top 5 Wood: El Toro, Voyage, Thunderhead, Outlaw Run, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel: Superman the Ride, Fury 325, Millennium Force, X2, Intimidator 305

Post August 24th, 2019, 12:12 pm

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points
I'd welcome a Raptor, clone or custom. They look really sick. I don't think the capacity would be such a huge issue, considering they do have a free spin. And I've been there when El Toro was taking 3-5 minutes per dispatch. Kingda Ka never runs more than 2 of its 4 station blocks and about 3 trains on average.
X2 ??? Intimidator 305 ??? Millennium Force ??? Iron Rattler ??? El Toro ??? Fury 325 ??? Maverick ??? Skyrush ??? Twisted Timbers ??? Voyage

Post August 24th, 2019, 3:34 pm

Yeah, the capacity question is probably OK, but I wouldn't exactly use Joker as a paragon of good or smart planning for a park like GAdv. It works out fine, but that doesn't mean it was the best idea. Hell, even Dark Knight still has stupidly long lines for what it is sometimes because operations are so bad.

I mean, whatever, as said above a 3-train raptor is probably fine on the capacity, especially once the newness wears off and if it happens to duel it will be x2. I'm still a little skeptical that lines won't be a bazillion hours given the history of bad operations at GAdv/SF in general but it's not like I'll be complaining if a Raptor is what it is.

The extant ones look fun but it would be nice if it wasn't a clone, considering our last coaster with a fully original layout was 13 years ago.

Post August 24th, 2019, 4:25 pm

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points
I called like 2 months ago that it will be a WCR clone... I'm sticking with that
What are these for?

Post August 25th, 2019, 11:22 am

Points on hand: 6,539.00 Points
I think it'll just be two raptor clones side by side. Maybe with the lift hills going in opposing directions.

Post August 27th, 2019, 1:21 pm

Probably not, since Bonus clue 2 sounds like it won't duel.

But Airtime Thrills also pointed out that it could be a cryptic way to say it won't be a clone.

Post August 27th, 2019, 2:39 pm

I've been seeing some suggestions that if "M" is the letter of the last clue we'll maybe have "RMC YES"

Post August 28th, 2019, 10:07 am

Post August 28th, 2019, 4:00 pm
Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
Leak!

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Neat!

And i'd like to point out that I was not entirely incorrect about my capacity concerns given the 50% increase per train. I wonder how much this will affect how it runs. Don't get me wrong, I'm SUPER excited about this and not at all disappointed (which I find a crazy feeling to have before even riding a new coaster, like all the crap about Orion) but I do wonder if the general larger size of the ride and not just the train will subtract much from the zippiness of WWGL and RB.

Points on hand: 1,123.00 Points
Wow, this announcement has me reconsidering some of my 2020 plans. Looks like it's finally time to go back to SFGAdv!

I wouldn't be concerned about the longer train slowing down the pacing or anything too much. It shouldn't be any less zippy than any of the ibox conversions which all have 12 rows - even though those rows are broken down into 6 cars.

That's true about the I-boxes, although I can only judge from the videos as I've yet to get on one (which is a little crazy because SFNE is my home park, but it's not all that close.) Although my second address is near GAdv so I'll be first in line for this one... I've been waiting for the rumored Jersey Devil coaster since I was, I dunno, ten or something and my cousin swore it was coming next year. Nearly two decades ago.

I can't even begin to tell you how glad I am that this is not a Marvel IP.

Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
Hmmm... I'm expecting a new trend to pop up. Build rollercoasters named after sports teams?
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

That's the Jersey DevilS. :lol: (but also really)

For those who might not know, The Jersey Devil is a local legendary flying beast with a goat body and hooves dragon wings, and some kind of antelope-like head (it varies). Ed: the story dates back to the mid 1700s and the team is named after the cryptid. It's a great scary story that kids tell each other at camp and very "of the area", even particularly to southern Jersey where GAdv is, as the myth says he lives in the Pine Barrens. There have been whispers about a coaster named after this local entity for YEARS because it seemed so obvious, and here it is.

Ed: I didn't watch through to the logo and I hate that, because it does make it look more like the sports team. It definitely could have been something better if the intention was to tie it into the local myth, which may or may not have been what they were trying to do after all. At least it's not Marvel.
Last edited by zacattack1104 on August 28th, 2019, 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
1-Millennium Force | 2-Intimidator 305 | 3-Fury 325
4-Skyrush | 5-Iron Rattler | 6-X2 | 7-Kingda Ka
8-Voyage | 9-Maverick | 10-Monster

Next

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!