Board index Roller Coaster Games Hard Hat Area Kings Island NL2 (Vortex video uploaded on You Tube)

Kings Island NL2 (Vortex video uploaded on You Tube)

The Hard Hat Area is the place to post construction news about your ride, so this is the place to hype your future upload!

Points on hand: 1,635.00 Points
I decided to embark on a long term project. The complete recreation of Kings Island with all it's coasters.
Phase 1 is in the making. My intention is to release the park in consecutive phases. (instead of waiting forever for the completion of the park)
Phase 1 consists of: The Beast, Vortex and KI train.
Phase 2: Diamondback and Mystic Timber.
Phase 3: Backlot Stunt Coaster and Racer.
Phase 4: Banshee and The Bat.
Phase 5: We???ll see what that new coaster looks like???

Here are some pictures of the current state of the park

The Beast station and other 3d models will come later

Everything you see here was done using NoLimits custom supports

A lot of hand made supports done and a lot more yet to do

Vortex's layout is not right yet. I will need to make some readjustments

Quiz for those familiar with Vortex. Spot the major error in the next picture.

A nice view of The Beast from Wind Seeker

More later.
Last edited by Spez on October 31st, 2019, 10:12 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Post July 15th, 2019, 1:23 am

I am still working on several aspects of the Beast. This will most likely be the most intricately detailed coaster of the park. One challenge I made for myself was to do as much as possible with NL2 supports system. The Beast is perfect for this as it is pretty much all wood (station, catwalks, queue line, sheds). It certainly is challenging! When I reach a point where this is not possible anymore, then I'll start with the 3D model software. For the moment I rely on available props and accessories made by others. The station is particularly tricky. I'm halfway through with it, maybe 60% done. There are a few more buildings to do (chain engine sheds on both lifts)

Here are some updated pictures:

Some POV shots showing the track work

The station currently under construction

Wide supports are in also in progress. I insist in making those supports right, hence the long time it takes to do this. (I think I'll be also like that for Timber, being biased for woodies)

More updates later...

Post July 15th, 2019, 8:47 pm

Points on hand: 6,689.00 Points
being as this is my homepark, i am speechless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cannot wait to see the updates from here on out!
Drummer, Guitarist, Coaster Enthusiast and a metal head??
126 Credits and counting!
Creator of MK Media on all social media platforms!

Post July 17th, 2019, 11:07 am

Points on hand: 2,395.00 Points
This looks amazing so far! I really love the little details you're putting in. The individual planks having different lengths (for the station, walls, support railings) really adds a nice human touch.

As for the error, the Vortex loops both go to the right. XD It's hard to say without seeing a better angle of your loops, but the bottoms of the loops are pretty stretched out on the real thing as well. They are both designed more towards the tear drop shape, with the first being a bit taller. The first picture on this page shows the loops well.
The turn into the corkscrews looks just a little off too; needs a flatter section of turn as the entrance to the corkscrew. There are pretty significant lateral forces there.

Other than some minor problems (and one major problem) this is looking wonderful. I like the idea of splitting it into phases as well, so the project doesn't get daunting and dropped. I've been planning a similar thing for a fictional park of mine as well. :)

Post July 17th, 2019, 3:35 pm

matthew6969 wrote:
being as this is my homepark, i am speechless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cannot wait to see the updates from here on out!

Thank you! I'll try to update at least once a week (or more if possible).

FrankLeeMadere wrote:
As for the error, the Vortex loops both go to the right. XD It's hard to say without seeing a better angle of your loops, but the bottoms of the loops are pretty stretched out on the real thing as well

Exactly. I was too confident when I (quickly) laid out the track for Vortex. I was wondering why I had so much trouble fitting my corkscrew between the loops, finally did it and still didn't realize the blunder until the whole track was done! I did wake up when I was testing how to put supports on those loops. The supports were bumping into one another. Only then did I bother have a closer look at detailed pics of those loops. Oh well...
This will be corrected later when I finish with The Beast.
Thanks for the picture tip. Didn't have that one.

FrankLeeMadere wrote:
The individual planks having different lengths (for the station, walls, support railings) really adds a nice human touch

Thanks. I'm glad (now that the station is almost finished) that I decided to do it with NL2 supports only (except the gates). It could be done in 3ds but I'm not sure it would have looked as spontaneous or natural. I'm actually considering using this method for the other wooden coasters of the park.
Overall, I think this is going to be closer to an impressionist painting of Kings Island than a photograph.

Post July 22nd, 2019, 7:29 am

The station is almost finished. I'm just struggling a bit with the contraption at the front which used to be a fountain. Regardless, I'm quite happy with it.

First, the skeleton

Then, the result

Inside. Note the ceiling, made with an in-game fence, scaled, colored and rotated.

Some queue line shots

Meanwhile I also added more track details

And some birds eye views

More later

Post July 23rd, 2019, 6:31 am

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points
I might think that the beast is the most overhyped/boring coaster in existence, but you have done a great job recreating it it looks like
What are these for?

Post July 24th, 2019, 4:34 am
afro85 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 81.00 Points
Bank: 26,937.70 Points
Incredible Job with that station!! How long did it took to make it?

Post July 29th, 2019, 6:25 am

afro85 wrote:
Incredible Job with that station!! How long did it took to make it?

I did not count the hours... fortunately

This last week, I have been mainly reworking Vortex, correcting mistakes, tweaking the track and a lot of support job. It is about 75% done. When done, I'll jump in the 3d modeling for the station, and other coaster accessories for both Vortex and the beast.
Here's some screenshots of the progress:

I will pay particular attention to details like emergency/maintenance stairs. This takes some time, but I think it makes a difference.

The support structure underneath the double loop is still to be done as well as for the bat element. I'm still looking for decent quality pictures of the latter. Anybody out there have them? If not, I'll rely on videos.

Post August 12th, 2019, 8:51 am

After a short break, I resumed work on Kings Island NL2.
I finished the supports for Vortex and started on 3d models.

First, a glimpse of what will become the train. It may not look like much, but this will be the front wheels of the locomotive. I had to make sure first that it fits the rails. However, I will release phase 1 without the train, as this will be too long to build.

Several shots of Vortex's supports

Concrete as been poured around the switch table and the station platform is in place

The station building is currently under construction

A few a accessories for the Beast:
Some horizontal friction wheels
Window glass and AC for the comfort of our ride operator
Cameras to capture screaming faces
And some lights for night rides

To do next: Vortex station, Beast entrance and chain motor sheds, additional structures and pathways to place between the 2 rides
More news later

Post August 18th, 2019, 7:52 pm

I have been working mainly on Vortex station as the pictures will tell. I also performed some scenery and script tests for the train and White River Canyon. Those are not pictured yet. Not all the tests were conclusive. I just want to make sure that I'm ready and know what I'm doing when I start phase 2.

The central tower is done except a few details.

The octagonal tower with stairs is yet to be made.

The interior is almost finished. I will add queue gates and accessories later.

The operator cabin. This area will also have a motor shed, lockers, etc...

Some distant views

Post August 19th, 2019, 3:03 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,723.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

So awesome! A new ride to add to this soon, as well!

Post August 28th, 2019, 7:14 pm

I added some buildings to The Beast. Chain lift sheds

Also, the entrance

The octagonal tower for Vortex as well as staircases and catwalks

Finally, things like lockers and other small structures

I think the next update should be the last one, consisting of park accessories, pathway, more lights, etc...
It should coincide with the release of phase 1. I'm kind of in a hurry to start phase 2.

Post August 29th, 2019, 7:58 pm

Points on hand: 2,395.00 Points
I am genuinely in awe with how lovingly you've been putting this together. The Vortex station looks brilliant, as does The Beast's station. The extra details like lockers and soda machines will add up to kill my GPU, but are totally worth it. I know you're excited to start the next phase, as am I, but try not to rush too much. Don't want to see such a well put together recreation suffer from rushing the last minute. I think we can be patient if you can. :)
Will you be releasing phase II as an entirely separate park, with just those rides in it, or will it include these as well?
Either way, my computer will likely struggle, but it's gonna be cooling down here soon so an extra heat source next to me might be nice. :)

Post August 30th, 2019, 10:32 am

^ The idea is to keep adding to the park. It would be more interesting this way.
But we'll see what people say after the first or second release. If the majority of people experience lag on their PC, then maybe I'll switch to separate parks.
I have also to consider the increasing package size file. There is a limit to how big a file can be uploaded to this site. The park folder is already 250mb (uncompressed) with only 2 coasters in it.
But separate parks would not be my favourite option.

Post September 14th, 2019, 1:11 am

Still progressing.
I decided for a more thoroughly detailed approach to the pathways and park accessories. This will result in a great contrast between what's built on one side of the path and emptiness on the other side. But that's part of releasing in phases rather than in one shot. Because of this approach however, it's not finished yet. Il will for instance include that art deco snack bar facing Shake Rattle & Roll, because of it's proximity (not built yet). I still have to work also on the Vortex vicinity.
Here are screenshots of the progress. Most of the effort went in the Rivertown part. I'm particularly happy with the pizzeria. Guess I like pizza...

I finally completed Phase 1 of Kings Island NL2.
I'm glad I went to the trouble of adding tiny details to Vortex. Now that the ride will removed at the end of the season, such a recreation will be the only way someone could ride Vortex.

Here are screenshots of the latest additions, starting with a bird's view of Phase 1
Wind Seeker accessories
Pathway details
Juke Box snack
The Beast comes out of the forest during the night, apparently
And I guess one last look at Vortex

Download it and do not hesitate to give feedback in this tread. Ex: How's the framerate on your PC ?

Post October 30th, 2019, 4:45 am

I started to work on the train. It will be my most detailed models yet. I'm still working on the locomotives. Both Engine 12 and 19 are currently being built.
Engine 12 will be animated and roll on the rails while Engine 19 will be additional scenery (and will most likely be parked in front of the future maintenance shed).

Those drive wheels took me some time to do.
A closer view of the type of boggie that will support the tender car and passenger cars

Next I will build the steampunk features inside the conductor's cabin, then find a way to synchronize the wheels and cranes to the train's forward movement.

I uploaded a video on YouTube about Vortex. It's the least I could do now that it's closed.
I took the opportunity to improve a few things:
The color of the cars is updated. I had used the same color as the supports before.
The Vortex logo on the front car is ok now.
And last but not least, the revolving doors of the storage shed are now... revolving!
All these improvements will be available in Phase 2.

It's a tribute and also a funny take on Vortex. Like any retired coasters, it had it's detractors. The funny part is about them.
Hope you enjoy!

Return to Hard Hat Area