Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! POV of Viper, the new Largest Wooden Coaster in China!

POV of Viper, the new Largest Wooden Coaster in China!

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,728.00 Points
Boulder Dash was the only good roller coaster.

"or if you're when the hydraulic fluid was dumped out of the motor is goes 200ft up the tower and is like "LOL nope"" - CKMWM 2016

Points on hand: 6,337.00 Points
Looks pretty good, but dear god GCI, learn how to build a first drop.

VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Points on hand: 10,818.00 Points
I have to admit, this doesn't look like GCI's best work to me (the layout/elements look a little too drawn out), but I guess it's probably still a fun ride.

Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
It does a very good job maintaining it's speed.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Points on hand: 9,972.00 Points
Same; I like how the ride keeps going pretty fast, especially towards the end, despite it being quite long.
mkingy wrote:
Yoda was famously quoted as saying:

Yoda wrote:
Free the Orcas, you must
Sith will prevail, otherwise

Fluorometholone

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
The first turnaround at 0:30 should have had an outside banking moment! Could be really unique! :)
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
VF15 wrote:
I have to admit, this doesn't look like GCI's best work to me (the layout/elements look a little too drawn out), but I guess it's probably still a fun ride.

^This
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points

^ Yeah, looks a tad snappy. ;-)

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
This ride looks really dull gentle. Thinking about Renegade in comparison to this is alarming.
Last edited by GerstlCrazy on November 27th, 2015, 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1-Millennium Force | 2-Intimidator 305 | 3-Fury 325
4-Skyrush | 5-Iron Rattler | 6-X2 | 7-Kingda Ka
8-Voyage | 9-Maverick | 10-Monster

Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
GCI please don't become B&M
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points
This is the most unGCI looking GCI coaster out there. It looks like they were trying to copy TGG&MVR and failed.
What are these for?

Points on hand: 6,337.00 Points
Am I the only one who sees a lot of Boulderdash in this ride?

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
You're not TylerE. I think it's traveling fast enough that it doesn't need crazy transitions to be exciting...just like Boulder Dash. I also just watched a Renegade POV and don't really see it being much different than this ride, though Viper does look better to me in many ways. Renegade seems to have more direction changes, but I don't really think that's a positive or a negative in this case.

For what it's worth, one of the gentlemen from GCI said he's ridden 100+ wooden coasters and he considers Viper to be the best. He said it's like combining Thunderhead, Gold Striker, and White Lightning into one coaster.

I think, especially given the almost complete lack of surroundings, it just doesn't look as awesome as it is in real life. It's hard to feel that sensation of speed without a lot of reference.

Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
There's definitely gonna be more trees and grass planted around. You can see the grids in the hillside that suggest this.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

lol240 wrote:
The first turnaround at 0:30 should have had an outside banking moment! Could be really unique! :)

Dear god no. The worst thing they could possibly do in this scenario is just put some wacky nonsense like that in to make it all appear like it's what they intended. What GCI does best is give riders the experience that the train is traveling FAR faster than intended at any given point, thus under-banking is the extent of what they should be doing. For instance when they came in and redid Boulder Dash, the triple up feels as if it should be taken at around half the speed at which it is, and it legitimately feels like the train will just be battered off the track. This appears to be what they were going for here, and it looks excellent in that regard, through I'll have to wait to see what surroundings they put in to think much more of the layout, etc.

"or if you're when the hydraulic fluid was dumped out of the motor is goes 200ft up the tower and is like "LOL nope"" - CKMWM 2016

mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,048.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
Agreed that it looks like it's carrying some serious pace throughout the ride. Those airtime hills should be some fairly sustained (if not extreme) negatives and underbanked corners are, in my opinion, a staple of a woodies.

I would agree that given the height perhaps the drop could have been better but I don't think taints the rest of the ride.
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
Yeah the drop on this ride looks to be more functional than built for excitement (at least in relation to the rest of the ride). Boulder Dash again is similar, there's no actual airtime on the first drop, but it gets you moving seriously fast around that nearly flat corner.

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
There's much more to Renegade than you'll ever get from a POV. And I wouldn't press that comment about many roller coasters. The excess speed that Renegade typically operates at makes many of the elements even hard to handle at times. Renegade has a lot of moments that are really tight and small.

*That being said, I agree with the comments about how the speed on this ride is probably going to make it. The speed is obviously great but the elements are sooo big.
1-Millennium Force | 2-Intimidator 305 | 3-Fury 325
4-Skyrush | 5-Iron Rattler | 6-X2 | 7-Kingda Ka
8-Voyage | 9-Maverick | 10-Monster

Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Paradox wrote:

Don't insult B&M like that. B&M knows what G's are.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
Paradox wrote:

Don't insult B&M like that. B&M knows what G's are.

Unfortunately they also know what trims are.

^ What do you think is the best trim coaster? Trims exist for the pacing the ride has or braking so the train doesn't go too fast.

:)

Points on hand: 483.00 Points
Bank: 19,590.00 Points
My Long Session Of Brakes on the exchange is the best trim coaster.

slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

lol240 wrote:
^ What do you think is the best trim coaster? Trims exist for the pacing the ride has or braking so the train doesn't go too fast.

:)

From what I've ridden probably the trims off Maverick's tunnel-launch. They do their job of allowing the launch to be more intense while still allowing the train to keep incredible pace throughout the 2nd half of the ride. Also I think Kumba does a good job in that the MCBR is usually off, making people freak out thinking it's broken or something.

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!