Board index Roller Coaster Games NoLimits Coaster 2 X: Reborn - Released

X: Reborn - Released

All discussion relation to NoLimits Coaster 2 should be posted here. Purchase NoLimits Coaster from this page: nolimits-coaster-2-purchase-and-upgrade-links-t32524.html

Post July 11th, 2015, 3:49 pm

Points on hand: 1,451.00 Points
Hey guys, I've been working on this coaster for a while now, and I felt it was time to bring it to CoasterCrazy!

Here's the "what's what" on Project M.

The Beginning

So, we can see that the turnaround after the station is typical for all 4D coasters, except you'll notice that this one is a solid 180* turn, as apposed to the higher angles of the existing 4D coasters. This was done in order to create room for the launch "runway", allowing it to be sufficiently long without colliding with the brake run. Following our initial turn, we have a pre-launch staging brake, This staging brake serves no mechanical purpose on the ride, seeing as there is no catch car to wait for. The brake is purely to build tension.

The Launch

The launch is a standard LIM launch, which may or may not be mechanically accurate or feasible. Personally, I have a very limited knowledge of how systems like this work. As TheCodeMaster pointed out, the weight of the trains may very well be a significant factor in whether or not a launch like this is possible. However, because I don't know for sure, let's just say this is possible. This project is more about the concept than execution.

The M

So, why is this Project "M"? Hopefully this illustration of the coaster's apex can help me explain. Replacing the traditional lift, you'll find a steep, almost vertical ascent to the ride's peak. Again, mimicking the style of existing coasters, you can see that the ascent to the highest point is very similar to the drop, but with some minor changes. Luckily, I've managed to keep all of the g-forces in check, and everything works relatively smoothly (it is a 4D, though). When the right reaches the apex, it slows down to a tolerable speed, only a few mph faster than the top of X2's lift. From here, we experience a drop sequence identical to that of X2, seat rotations and all. It's a formula too perfect to be tampered with.

The Raven Turns

Once again, we see a striking resemblance to X2. However, you'll notice a major difference in the shaping of the Inside Raven Turn. You'll notice that rather than a half-loop shape like X2, it has a shape closer to that of Eejanaika. This is just because after some messing around, I've found that the forces appear to be much more enjoyable (but also safe) with this shape. The exit and subsequent drop returns to X2 styling. The supports are also reminiscent of X2. Now you may be asking, why are the supports of the turn the same, if the shaping is different? This is because although changes have been made, they are relatively minor in appearance, and I've made changes to the supports appropriately.

The Inside Raven turn looks much more like what we see on X2, with similar support structures and shaping. It rides as you'd guess it would. The tunnel may have the top shaved off of it, but that's a theming choice. I'll talk about that later.

The Camelback

This section of the ride is very similar (seat rotations and all) to X2. Very few significant changes to the structure and shaping.

Swooping Turn

I'm still ironing out some shaping details here, it's a little tricky here. You'll notice immediately that this turn has a much small radius than X2's similar element. This is simply because of the space I'm working with. The trains navigate the turn with enough speed, and this turn offers a nice opportunity to catch their breath before diving back into the abyss. Support structures once again are mimicking X2, I'm no structural engineer.

Theming Options

I'm not really ready to go in-depth on theming quite yet, but yes, there will be audio.

Flanging

Today, I finished flanging the ride.

OH MY GOD. Talk about a mess. Placing the flanges for this ride was one of the most tedious things I've ever had to do in NoLimits, 2nd only to Destroid's scenery. With all of the crossbeams and bizarre connections that the support structures have, you can understand how many flanges needed to be placed. However, now that the process is done, I think it turned out pretty nicely!

Supports

Thanks to The_Architect and viking86, the supporting issue has been fixed! Thanks, guys! While I know it's not terrible if supports go through buildings, this particular support interfered with the storage track. If a train were to be fully loaded into the maintenance bay, it would have to collide with the support. Not to mention it just looks much cleaner without the collision! With that, it's safe to say the supports are 99% done! The only reason I say 99 and not 100 is because I'm sure as this project continues I'll find more issues that have to be fixed. Until then, stay tuned!

That's about it for the in-depth update, but it's worth mentioning that I've officially started developing a theme! I think you'll all get a kick out of it.

Glamour Shots

And for the part where I try and make this guy look good.

Closing

I'd say that just about wraps it up for this update! I hope I was able to show you guys some of the thoughts behind my actions, and I can't wait to hear what you guys have to say! All criticism will be taken into consideration, of course.
Last edited by TheBeatles on September 19th, 2015, 6:34 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Post July 11th, 2015, 3:51 pm
Blase Rhine User avatar

Points on hand: 30,499.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

Definitely looks promising! I love the launch idea as well! Great work as always!
Sometimes I dream of unicorns and oreos

Post July 11th, 2015, 4:14 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,572.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

This is looking really sweet man :D Can't wait to take a spin on it.
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post July 11th, 2015, 6:37 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Supports and everything looks fantastic so far. Don't stress out too much about making a ride too similar to an existing one. We have to start out somewhere.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post July 11th, 2015, 9:53 pm

Points on hand: 4,800.70 Points

Interesting concept, and well executed. Looks great right now, good luck with theming!
It's been a long time
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCErEzTkqrD55UEiIiiKsKmg

Post July 12th, 2015, 8:17 am

The Story

It's 2115, and the amusement industry has hit an all time low. Creativity has vanished, and amusement parks are empty. Today, in the darkest hour, a light shines at the end of the tunnel. After unearthing digital blueprints of a creation from his grandfather, Jason Schilke has announced the development of a scream machine like no other. Using the remnants of the discovered blueprints, Schilke is confident he can create an experience similar to that of X2, a beloved family creation from many years ago. However, Schilke has told us that we can find one VERY big change from the retired X2, but hasn't divulged any further details.

Until then, prepare for X: Reborn!

Updates

Thank you all for your input on flanges, the issues brought up have been fixed. While I understand the reasoning behind flanges, they get very difficult to keep track of as you add more to a ride. Thank you for catching my mistakes! I've started working on the theming for the ride, and I'll show that in a future update.

I know the story doesn't make a TON of sense quite yet, but as scenery unfolds and the story develops further I hope things will become clear.

Let me know what you all think!

Post July 26th, 2015, 12:41 pm

Scenery Update

I've been getting started on the scenery. Obviously, this is a very early mock up with minimal textures, but I think you can see the direction I'm heading in. Little by little, I'm realizing that setting the ride 100 years in the future may be a bit much, as it's nearly impossible to imagine life a century from now. For now, I'm simply making the ride "futuristic" with no specific date. I hope you can understand why.

As you can see in the image above, I've added a couple of NL2MATs, the first of many. The room you see if a preshow room. After you exit the station (seen in the direct center of the image), you will enter this room, facing the three screens. Each row is angled separately towards the screens, making the screens visible by all passengers. A video introduction to the ride will play, and then the train will continue backwards out of the preshow room and towards the launch. I hope to add some special effects to this room (maybe some colored electric lightning in the tubes), but I think it'll be a while before we see those implemented.

What do you guys think? Let me know!

Post July 26th, 2015, 12:47 pm

Points on hand: 4,800.70 Points

Wow. This looks fantastic already! Can't wait to see the progress on this monster.
It's been a long time
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCErEzTkqrD55UEiIiiKsKmg

Post July 26th, 2015, 8:09 pm

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
This neat station can also be used for a launched coaster! Those flashing gates will start attracting us! :D
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Post August 5th, 2015, 1:27 am

Scenery Update

Here's an aerial view of the ride in the current state, with work started on the queue for both sides. You can also see the general footprint for the ride building. An exit ramp has yet to be made for both sides.

Another angle of the queue path so far.

The interior of the pre-show room. I'm still working on trying to make the lights actually work, but you can see that the room is slowly but surely coming together. I'm also planning on adding sliding doors as you enter and exit this room.

I also made concrete trenches for the bottom of both raven turns. The one in the foreground is just a rectangle, whereas the one in the background is more of a football shape.

Wrap-Up

I guess that's about it for this update, be sure to let me know what you guys think! Hopefully soon I'll be able to show you work on the trains and more scenery.

Post August 5th, 2015, 7:56 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Took me awhile to notice one o fyour images was a GIF image lol. Ride looks great and pretty realistic so far, especially the supports. What are the circle things in the station? Extra scenery?
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post August 5th, 2015, 1:36 pm

Scenery Update

I'm making a ton of progress on the scenery, as you guys can see below. I've created a lot of LED signs, something that I really think add to the overall tone of the ride. You'll also notice the queue is just about finished, but the exit pathways are still receiving some TLC. I have yet to start production on the preshow and audio track, but I have a ton of ideas for them that I can't wait to implement. You'll also notice the cliche yet gorgeous environment, made by Bjorn Hilding. Also, I apologize in advance for the white trains. I'm working with another forum member to create some awesome cartextures.

The station building, with exit paths visible. You'll also notice the LED X: Reborn sign. This logo can be seen in a number of places around the ride area.

Inside the station, we see a strong resemblance to the X/X2 station, but with my own flair here and there. This choice is one of many callbacks to X/X2, which is what this futuristic ride is all about.

Some deactivated LED arrows along the storage building. Hoping to get these guys animated pretty soon!

The entrance to the ride, and an overview. The X: Reborn sign is once again LED lit. You'll also be able to catch a glimpse of the queue, but I did't want to show the whole thing in this update. All of the queue railings are complete, but I feel as though there are still more details I want to add before I show it to you guys.

Wrap-Up

That's it for today, guys! Please let me know your thoughts and criticism!

Post August 6th, 2015, 5:53 am
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,053.00 Points
Sweet logo - your 3DS work in general was already really good and it looks like you're producing some real quality design work here - the station building looks really good.

Some pretty nice screenshots too :D
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post August 6th, 2015, 10:59 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points

Post August 16th, 2015, 9:01 am

Scenery Update

While work continues on the cartextures, I thought I'd show you guys how I spent my evening!

So here's where the current state of the scenery stands. You'll notice the I've begun to texture the second first preshow building, and I personally think it's looking pretty cool so far! It's not finished yet, of course. Fans of Transformers: The Ride at Universal Studios Florida will definitely be able to see a resemblance between the building for TF:TR and this one. Hopefully they aren't TOO similar, though!

I've also been gradually been working on foliage. It's still in the very early stages, I'm just trying to get a feel for the environment of the ride. I've started work on a cute little planter outside the entrance, and I hope to create a much larger, more inviting plaza for the ride.

Wrap-Up
All of the scenery is still a work in progress, so let me know your thoughts, please!

Post August 16th, 2015, 9:08 am

Points on hand: 0.00 Points
Bank: 15,263.00 Points
the station and pre-show building, both inside and outside, looks awesome!

Post August 17th, 2015, 8:27 pm

Scenery Update

As you can see in the picture below, the main buildings are just about done! I've textured the third and final main building.

Trains Update

Thanks to Chuckensky and TheCodeMaster, I was able to take some awesome screenshots of the mangled X trains in action! Just a quick note though, the cartexture is not final.

I like this picture just because you can see the beautiful details Brandon has put into the cartexture to make it look like X (the "vents" on the front, and the blue streaks on the X pieces)

Environment

It think now is also a good time to mention that I'll be working with nSeven to make this ride look like it actually has a place in the world. He's bringing wonderful ideas to the table, and I can't wait to show you guys some results!

Wrap-Up

Th-th-th-that's all, folks! I start college this week, I move into my dorm on Thursday. Unfortunately, that means that this project will probably slow down a bit. I'll be sure to keep you guys posted, though! Thank you all very much for your kind words on the last update, and be sure to let me know your thoughts on this one!
Last edited by TheBeatles on August 17th, 2015, 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post August 17th, 2015, 8:56 pm
Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
hot
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Post August 19th, 2015, 8:05 am
Mr. Freeze User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 32.00 Points
Bank: 4,860.00 Points
Where are you going to college at? If you don't mind me asking.

Post August 19th, 2015, 8:39 am

Post August 19th, 2015, 9:35 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points
Holy amazing! This is legit one of the best coasters with attention to detail I have ever seen in NL2! Great job!

Post August 20th, 2015, 9:21 am
Mr. Freeze User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 32.00 Points
Bank: 4,860.00 Points
Nice. The ride is coming along really well, and I, among others as well, wish you the best of luck in school and on the ride. Hope to see more updates and a possible release from you in the feature.

Post September 8th, 2015, 5:12 pm

Terrain Update
Unfortunately, nSeven wasn't able to help me out with the terrain, but he has generously given me some ideas. I have just about finished shaping the terrain, and I have now given the track to JAKool to paint the terrain and add additional foliage.

I mainly just wanted to let you all know that this project is still being worked on, even though things have slowed down since school has started.

Post September 9th, 2015, 12:08 pm

Terrain Update
Well, I've seen now that I have to bite the bullet, and stop trying to hand off the hard parts to other people. So, I've taken on the challenge of doing the terrain myself. I'm really trying to draw inspiration from not only X2 at Magic Mountain, but also many other different areas around California, such as Lake Elsinore. The terrain still isn't finished, as there is a gap between the mountains and the ride itself that I think could be filled in better. Also, I think it's worth nothing that the mountains you see in the background aren't part of a skybox, they're modeled with the in-game terrain, with a custom texture over them. Here's where I'm at so far.

Release Date
I have gotten multiple questions regarding a release date for the ride, and to be honest, I still don't know when that'll be. It's becoming increasingly clear that the ride is approaching a finished state, but there are still tweaks I need to make to the ride as a whole, more scenery to add, the whole 9yds. I'll continue to keep you guys posted, but I'd say you can plan on the ride being released relatively soon.

Wrap-Up
So, what do you guys think? I'd love to hear any and all comments/criticism.

P.S. Thank you all for sticking with this project! I know it's taking a while, but hopefully it'll pay off!

Post September 9th, 2015, 12:52 pm
Blase Rhine User avatar

Points on hand: 30,499.00 Points

I must say, those mountains in the back are quite stunning. Great work overall!
Sometimes I dream of unicorns and oreos

Next

Return to NoLimits Coaster 2