Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! PTC Making Single Bench Trains for RFII

PTC Making Single Bench Trains for RFII

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post September 20th, 2007, 10:39 am

Points on hand: 1,844.00 Points
I know this may be old news to most of us, but some think that any Single Bench Wooden coaster has to be a GCI.

Below was paisted from Amusement Today:

Philadelphia Toboggan Coasters introduces new single-bench train (JUNE 20, 2007) Amusement Today has learned that Philadelphia Toboggan Coasters, the world?????????s leading supplier of wooden roller coaster trains, is introducing a revolutionary new single-bench train system to its range of rolling stock and other coaster-related products.

The rollout customer for the new train will be Pennsylvania?????????s Waldameer Park and its highly anticipated Ravine Flyer II, which is being designed and built by The Gravity Group for the 2008 season.

PTC president Tom Rebbie is quick to point out that his company?????????s new train will not be a conventional trailer-style set-up. Instead, each of the twelve cars will seat two riders and feature four weight-bearing road wheels per coach.
While Waldameer?????????s new coaster will be the first to use the new trains, PTC is actively marketing this attractive rolling stock for new wooden coaster projects as well as replacement trains for existing rides.

Due to the ultra flexible nature of these trains, they are especially suited for radical twister-style coasters, which are extremely prevalent and popular in today?????????s amusement parks.

Rebbie was inspired to create these new trains after research into PTC?????????s extensive archives revealed that the company's engineers had toyed with the idea of a single-bench train many years ago when PTC was still active in roller coaster design and construction.

http://www.amusementtoday.com/

Swampy
2009 GCII Intern

Post September 21st, 2007, 1:09 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
4 road wheels on single-benche-cars? ain't that a little too much?

Post September 21st, 2007, 1:41 pm

Points on hand: 5,473.00 Points
It has been confirmed that RF II will in fact NOT feature this new trains. Waldameer got cold feet, and went with the old standard PTC trains. Sorry to disappoint you SY-Swamp Fox [;)]

http://www.screamscape.com/html/waldameer_park.htm
Coaster count: 153
Moving to Singapore in july!

Post September 21st, 2007, 1:57 pm

Points on hand: 1,844.00 Points
Interesting article, but I can find another article to reinforce it, but Im still looking! PTC has nothing on Single Bench Style Trains, nor does it have anything about RFII.

If you find another one, please post it!

Swampy

Edit: RCDB shows PTC Clasic 4 seat bench too
http://www.rcdb.com/id3917.htm
2009 GCII Intern

Post September 21st, 2007, 3:01 pm

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
Why is RFII 6 million dollars, and Voyage was 6.5... and twice as long/tall? Someone either got jipped, or someone else needs to be playing the lottery right now and winning some money from that luck.

Post September 21st, 2007, 3:30 pm

Points on hand: 5,801.00 Points

The 6 million probably includes some of the extra work needed for the bridge.

Post September 21st, 2007, 4:25 pm

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
Is that 2-3 million dollars worth of work though? If so I might've tried to do more of a Boardwalk Bullet sized layout, because I really don't think it's worth almost doubling the cost of your ride to expand it some. I'm guessing GG just went up in price some, steel got more expensive, and/or there were other expenses that weren't reported in Voyage's cost that they released to the public.

Post September 21st, 2007, 5:18 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
The bridge and geology of the area might screw it up a bit.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post September 21st, 2007, 5:37 pm

Points on hand: 5,473.00 Points
Maybe they are counting some costs from earlier in the project into the prize? I would guess they paid quite a lot for the original CCI lay-out etc? I can imagine the costs getting pretty big on a project this long in development.
Coaster count: 153
Moving to Singapore in july!

Post September 24th, 2007, 7:19 pm

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Ill add that I also think its the geography and probably the cost of steel as well. Apart from the tunnels, theres very little steel involved with Voyage as its so low to the ground nearly all the time.

It also wouldnt suprise me if they did increase their price a bit.

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!