Board index Roller Coaster Games Scream Machines Scream Machines Vs. No Limits

Scream Machines Vs. No Limits

Discuss anything related to Scream Machines!

Scream Machines Vs. No Limits

NoLimits
82%
Scream Machines
18%

Total votes : 267

Post August 31st, 2003, 6:35 pm
Kev True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 3,347.00 Points

Post October 2nd, 2003, 10:39 am

Points on hand: 4,163.00 Points

Post November 2nd, 2003, 2:19 am

Points on hand: 2,367.00 Points
my dream sim- No Limits ride simulator- Scream Machines Editor.

Post December 2nd, 2003, 9:53 pm

Points on hand: 4,530.00 Points
Sorta an old topic but I'm also wondering which one to pick. Im 14 and have a new computer. I downloaded the NoLimits demo and i loved the riding and was getting used to the editor. I for the most part understood the editor except the support's and it got sorta confusing on banking the turns. I havent tried SM demo (manily because of my slow internet) and SM is cheaper but im not concerned about that. Also i have alot of RCT2 tracks but i havent heard to much good about riding the RCT2 on NoLimits and i know that you cant ride RCT2 rides on SM(i dont really care ether) So im wondering which one should i get???

Post December 3rd, 2003, 2:57 am
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,572.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

you can't ride rct2 tracks in NL either. I like both, use more SM, honestly, just the supports drive me wild at times and never finish a ride, same with NL, supports drive me wild, but I like that it can play in window mode fine and receive IM's and no info is lost, where SM takes the whole window, well, can place it in a window, but it is too small for my resolution so when I go to full mode, I have the auto save to every 5 minutes, yet I get a pm every little while that what I should get done in 5 minutes, get's done in 20 since it does not autosave because I get IM'ed before the 5 minutes. Then again, that's just me who is getting IM'ed all day long. If you're not to worried about getting IM's and stuff. I would recommend SM over NL because it has a more detailed editor and more track styles to chose from. The terrain editor is easier to use in SM as well. I also love the fact that you can add a vasy variety of trees and not be limited to only 3 like NL, in both you can import objects and in both you can do skyboxes. Both go hand in hand but SM wins in editor detail, realistic look detail ( with the proper skybox) and in track/train style variety.

Post December 21st, 2003, 8:09 pm

Points on hand: 2,690.00 Points
SM should be able to handle switching back and forth if you get an IM or something. I've heard of a couple of textures missing when coming back in rare occasions, but you should still be able to save your track if it happens. Luckily SM2 won't have any of these problems [:)]

There are a couple of enhancements to the woodies that we either have already done, or are planning to do for v1.46. So far we've made new textures for every aspect of the track/structure, new cross ties that actually look like wood, and new brakes. I am going to add a super-low structure mode that will not add the cross bracing ala NL, which will significantly boost performance. That mode also shouldn't need to have the beams pop in and out like the more detailed structures do.

Post January 5th, 2004, 4:06 pm

Points on hand: 1,332.00 Points
I own NoLimits and I am happy with it.
I've tried the Scream Machines demo and I must say, I was impressed by the huge number of track (and train!) styles available. The editor works almost the same as NL, so i felt right at home. The problem is, the demo crashes almost every minute if I am going into the edit mode! The Ride mode runs perfectly, but when I try to edit it the editor crashes within i few minutes. Is this a demo issue or is SM really this buggy?

I'm not going to buy the full version if it crashes so often. I won't be able to use it seriously. I'll stay using NoLimits instead.

Post January 24th, 2006, 10:41 pm

Points on hand: 2,019.00 Points

I own both of the games, but I prefer No Limits over Scream Machines.

Post January 24th, 2006, 10:59 pm

Points on hand: 2,897.00 Points

i own both as well and heres what i think, scream machines is good if you want to make a quick coaster and theres unlimited space but the graphics kinda suck. nolimits: good graphics, more realastic as far as detail and you can set the amount of acceleration that you want and its in windows mode and theres much more but if your only buying one i would probably go with nolimits...

Post January 25th, 2006, 4:52 am

Points on hand: 4,334.00 Points

I prefer SM over NL also. Better enhanced graghics there is so much feel within the game and so much you can do with SM as far as creating anything you want to enhance your coaster creations. I think SM2 will be something to talk about a little later on down the road.

Post January 25th, 2006, 1:10 pm

Points on hand: 5,761.00 Points

i own both sm and nl and i favor nl more, screammachines is great but the many options make it slightlby confusing and the graphics aren't good, the editor has to many tools around the window and it dosent give you enough space to build in. nl is simple, realistic and easy to use. also have you ever seen sm used by ride manufacturers to show off here ride designs?

nl is way better

Post January 26th, 2006, 4:41 am

Points on hand: 2,690.00 Points
Originally posted by gazag

... also have you ever seen sm used by ride manufacturers to show off here ride designs?

Actually, I've turned down quite a few manufacturers, as well as a couple of park chains. There are many reasons for this, but the main ones are that I don't want to be tied down by deadlines, nor forced to add things I don't want in there.

As far as the other comments about confusing UI, the graphics being off, etc, I couldn't agree more. The UI became a mess because we kept adding features and just fit them in where we could. For the sequel, everything has been planned out in advance so the UI is much cleaner. As far as the graphics goes, there are two main problems. The first is the measurement system used internally. This is what causes everything to look small and weak so to speak. It is the "I can't put my finger on it, but it looks off" basically. The second is the quality of some of the train models, and pretty much all of the stations. What can I say... I'd never done a single model before I started on the SM1 models, and Kobain was in pretty much the same position [:)]

Post January 26th, 2006, 10:42 am

Points on hand: 2,685.00 Points

I like both SM and NL. NL has the realism wrapped up visually, but SM's editor is a little bit easier to grasp. Graphics-wise SM is a cross between NL and UR in my opinion. I have all three (well 5 counting URCD and URDC) and Hyper Rails. I think the support you get for NL and SM totally beats the other two, and both have more realistic tracks to use however the UR series has the most tracks of all the sims/games (almost 50 - modded and unmodded).

Post January 28th, 2006, 11:16 pm

Points on hand: 3,189.00 Points

Post January 29th, 2006, 12:41 am

Points on hand: 2,289.00 Points

Post January 29th, 2006, 12:44 am

Points on hand: 2,897.00 Points

i like the details and graphics on nolimits but scream machines is much much easier for me but supports arent so great on it

Post May 29th, 2006, 8:10 pm

Points on hand: 2,556.00 Points
Personally I like nolimits. its easier to use. In SM I have trouble making a coaster becare i dont understand how everything works but in no limits its a lot simpilar. thats my oppinion.

Post May 29th, 2006, 9:24 pm

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

Originally posted by weasle

Personally I like nolimits. its easier to use. In SM I have trouble making a coaster becare i dont understand how everything works but in no limits its a lot simpilar. thats my oppinion.

It's the attack of the old threads with a full frontal assault on grammar, spelling, and punctuation! [lol]
Sometimes the best thing to say is nothing at all.

Post May 29th, 2006, 11:44 pm

Points on hand: 5,058.00 Points
I think SM isn't as "professional" but has an easy-to-use and quicker-design sense to it. I think it's more for the non-super-uber designer guy. NL it seems takes longer to design in and is additionally more difficult.

Post May 30th, 2006, 6:55 am
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
01/05/2004

Wow, who bumped the old classic thread up? [lol]

The regulair answer still is: NoLimits beats Scream Machines. No doubt, The only reason when SM would beat NL is the amounth of tracktypes [:)]
But i'd rather go for quality then quantity.
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post May 30th, 2006, 7:50 am

Points on hand: 829.00 Points

stick to NL
i've tryed SM but i didnt like it
i dont know why but NL seems more fun to use...

Post July 23rd, 2006, 10:57 pm

Points on hand: 175.00 Points

I have a Mac, but i tried sm on my bros pc and it wasn't that great. Its not very realistic, but is has more train styles. Especially since 1.6 is coming out soon, NL will be and is a lot better, in my opinion.

Post September 20th, 2006, 1:01 pm

Points on hand: 1,758.00 Points

i think nl&sm are both good but i prefer sm
its easier for me and has more track styles[devilish][:D]

Post September 20th, 2006, 2:00 pm

Points on hand: -1,299.00 Points
Bank: 1,430.56 Points
nop, the no limits has now lots more track style, they dont have 4D coaster now... but my guess are in the 1.7 update there will, and nl limits is way more easy then scream machine... and in nl its more realistic now, with all the water and the flanges, and plus the new trains are hot!!!!!!!!

Post September 20th, 2006, 2:06 pm
ish User avatar

Points on hand: 1,239.00 Points

^You sure?
They said a few times that there won't be another update.

PreviousNext

Return to Scream Machines