Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! SFA 2019 - Firebird: Floorless Conversion of Apocalypse

SFA 2019 - Firebird: Floorless Conversion of Apocalypse

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Traintastic26 News Writer
News Writer

Points on hand: 7,584.00 Points

The Apocalypse Ends at Six Flags America!

Roller Coaster Closing Forever September 8.

Well this didn't last long....

Source: https://twitter.com/SixFlagsDC
Last edited by Traintastic26 on August 30th, 2018, 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post August 16th, 2018, 9:36 am

Points on hand: 1,433.00 Points
Stop scrapping the B&M's it's becoming a new thing ever since Dragon Challenge. Make it a floorless

Post August 16th, 2018, 12:35 pm
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
Dang... There goes one of the more insane B&M stand ups. With ejector airtime and such... I would have loved to get at least one more ride on it, but I don't see that happening.

If they get rid of the B&M I really hope it's just selling instead of scrapping.
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post August 16th, 2018, 1:13 pm

Points on hand: 15,350.90 Points

Post August 16th, 2018, 2:27 pm
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,048.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
Sad to see another stand up coaster bite the dust.
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post August 16th, 2018, 9:54 pm

Points on hand: 662.00 Points

Post August 17th, 2018, 2:01 am
News Writer

Screamscape have posted these about Apocalypse over the past week:

2019 - New Construction? - (8/16/18) Looks like the rumors and speculation about Six Flags America was right on the money. More tombstones were added daily as the days went on, as you can see in pictures the park posted to Twitter, then in a post yesterday showing off a collection of coaster photos, you???ll notice The Grim Reaper can be seen riding Apocalypse in the second row. Finally this morning the park confirmed the news??? Apocalypse will close FOREVER on Sept. 8th.
Now??? we just have to wait until August 30th to see if the last part comes true??? that Apocalypse will be reborn under a new name as a Floorless coaster. Like the man said... don???t fear the reaper.
(8/11/18) Something interesting is going on at SFA that seems to follow up that teaser from last week. First up, a new sign has been added to the black fence around Apocalypse that says "TERMINUS -81618-". Now before all The Walking Dead fans get too excited... I really don't think this is a tie into the show at all, despite the use of the word Terminus. The numbers match up to the same August 16th, 2018 date we saw circled on the calendar. The font style and use of larger letters for the first and last letter in Terminus was also used for some versions of the Apocalypse coaster logo. Let us also look at the primary definition of the word Terminus, outside of the railroad industry. "A final point in space or time; an end or extremity." So is this THE END of Apocalypse?
Secondly another set of clues to back this up are also being set up across the pathway from Apocalypse. Day by day an retired ride graveyard is being set up... which is normally the kind of thing you often see at theme parks as they prepare for their Halloween events, but in this case I'm told that a new tombstone seems to be getting set every day, and all of them are facing Apocalypse. As of Friday, I'm told there were at least three on site: Iron Eagle, Python and Krypton Comet. If a related rumor is true, we could see a new grave marker added each day between now and August 16th... and there is always the possibility that Apocalypse may join them the next day.
But add in the Firebird emblem from the calendar shot last week... a Firebird, also known as a Phoenix, rises from it's own ashes after it dies, reborn again. Given that this is a B&M Stand-Up Coaster... as well as having the honor of being the very first B&M coaster ever built (when it was Iron Wolf at the Chicago area park), the trend lately has been to transform B&M's old stand-up coasters into new Floorless coasters by adding new trains and modifying the station. With all this in mind... perhaps this is indeed Apocalypse's "last stand".

Source: http://www.screamscape.com/

Post August 17th, 2018, 10:05 pm
Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
Glad I got the credit this year. Sad to see it go as it was really fun and not that rough at all.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Post August 19th, 2018, 8:49 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
I don't see why they would bother making this a floorless coaster but Patriot happened so I guess anything is possible. Guess that throws the ever-comedic "send even more rides from Great America to America" involving V2 rumor out the window.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post August 19th, 2018, 3:33 pm

Points on hand: 1,187.00 Points
Good riddance to this ride, worst coaster I've been on. Only redeeming thing I'd the fact it's B&M's first and it has a great theme. Beyond that, I wouldn't mind this thing getting scrapped, the layout is boring and filled with headbanging that floorless trains can't fix

Post August 20th, 2018, 3:41 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
I rode it as Iron Wolf in 2009 and I went on it like 6 times. It was very comfortable and sufficiently fun. But a dismantle/reconstruct and a full decade later probably left it in a different state lol. I'm sure they'll give it the floorless treatment. It's damn cheap and Six Flags will have a field day coming up with ways to market it as a new experience and blow it way out of proportion.
1-Millennium Force | 2-Intimidator 305 | 3-Fury 325
4-Skyrush | 5-Iron Rattler | 6-X2 | 7-Kingda Ka
8-Voyage | 9-Maverick | 10-Monster

Post August 20th, 2018, 10:17 pm

Points on hand: 5,701.00 Points
Based on my rides on Apocalypse in April, no loss here. Truthfully, I found the park's SLC to be a superior ride. My hope is that it will get completely demolished and replaced with a RMC Raptor (which would be an excellent fit at SFA), but the rumored floorless conversion wouldn't surprise me either (though it makes little sense with three larger floorless coasters at parks that draw in part from the same market).
Coaster Count: 535 (114 wood, 444 steel); Park Count: 110
Top 5 Wood: El Toro, Voyage, Thunderhead, Outlaw Run, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel: Superman the Ride, Fury 325, Millennium Force, X2, Intimidator 305

Post August 25th, 2018, 5:28 am
News Writer

Looks like Apocalypse will be getting a Floorless conversion themed to.....

...Fortnite????

https://www.reddit.com/r/rollercoasters ... next_year/

Post August 25th, 2018, 7:43 am

Points on hand: 0.00 Points
Bank: 15,043.00 Points
Traintastic26 wrote:
Looks like Apocalypse will be getting a Floorless conversion themed to.....

...Fortnite????

https://www.reddit.com/r/rollercoasters ... next_year/

Thankfully it says "for a limited time", but it is still ridiculous! :x

Post August 25th, 2018, 7:50 am

Points on hand: 4,433.00 Points
NO. NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. PLEASE NO. DON'T DO THIS SIX FLAGS. ALTHOUGH IT'S LIMITED STILL NO.
(Oh well typical Six Flags to do this I guess)
*Likes Taron, Untamed, Troy and Colorado Adventure a lot*

Post August 30th, 2018, 9:54 am

Points on hand: 0.00 Points
Bank: 15,043.00 Points

Post August 30th, 2018, 9:57 am

Points on hand: 4,433.00 Points
I guess they will just let all the Apocalypse theme there, only a few changes to fit in with the Firebird "theme"
*Likes Taron, Untamed, Troy and Colorado Adventure a lot*

News Writer

Full details:

FIREBIRD Coaster Takes Flight in 2019

Rising from the ashes of the Apocalypse is FIREBIRD! This all-new coaster experience will take thrill-seekers through incredible twists, drops and inversions, all while seated in state-of-the-art floorless trains.

Maryland???s Only Floorless Roller Coaster

Get the sensation of being airborne as you soar along the track with nothing beneath your feet but the wind.

State-of-the-art Floorless Trains

Brand new Swiss-engineered trains feature open seats and no floors, putting riders??? feet dangling above the twisted rails.

Thrilling Twists, Turns, Inversions

A nine-story drop leads to thrilling loop and corkscrew inversions, plus a figure-eight finale, on more than half a mile of track.

Smoother & Faster

FIREBIRD will deliver a faster and smoother ride, making it a thrill that riders will enjoy again and again.

Opening Spring 2019

FIREBIRD begins its thrilling reign at Six Flags America in Spring 2019.

Source: https://www.sixflags.com/america/attractions/newfor2019

Points on hand: 15,350.90 Points

Points on hand: 1,187.00 Points
If it weren't for the fact this was B&M's first coaster, it would have been torn down. Apocalypse was an awful ride, but at least it had a cool theme. Now they put floorless trains on a boring stand-up layout and gave it an average name. Well, at least it's gonna be a better ride experience than Apocalypse but everything about this screams mediocre.

News Writer

News Writer

Firebird has recently opened. Here's a POV and some off ride shots:

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!