Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park Meets SFMM 2013 Trip Report [Pics, Video, POV's]

SFMM 2013 Trip Report [Pics, Video, POV's]

Planning a theme park visit? Post it here to organize a theme park meet with other members of the site. You can't go wrong with taking another enthusiast with you!

Post December 16th, 2013, 5:46 pm
Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

Sup guys, I'll be at Six Flags Magic Mountain every day between December 26-29, if you guys want to come out and say hi and hang out for a while that'd be fun. Anyone interested?
Last edited by Turbo on December 31st, 2013, 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post December 16th, 2013, 7:06 pm
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Points on hand: 6,049.50 Points

Post December 16th, 2013, 7:10 pm
Turbo User avatar

trust me with my lifestyle i need to be up to date with it anyway haha
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post December 17th, 2013, 12:48 pm
Metazoanhaddock User avatar

Points on hand: 3,322.00 Points
Bank: 52,337.00 Points
i may go, ill be in LA from the 24th through the 27th
Head Moderator
Director, Structural Engineer - PEAK Amusements
Site Contest Judge (Supporting)
Chatroom Admin

Post December 26th, 2013, 2:15 pm
Turbo User avatar

I've decided on making this a ptr kind of thing. Come hang out with us!

Coasterkidmwm wrote:

Post December 26th, 2013, 7:13 pm
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post December 26th, 2013, 10:08 pm

Points on hand: 5,657.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
Originally posted by Mikey

Did you make it out of the park alive?

Exactly what maintenance regulations are there Mikey?
[19:34:14] RideWarriorNation: jim
[19:34:27] RideWarriorNation: can you pls change sig
[19:35:22] Jcoasters: ok
[19:35:39] RideWarriorNation: ty

Post December 26th, 2013, 10:28 pm
Turbo User avatar

Mikey, it was a true battle for my life. Pics and review of day 1 coming when I get to my hotel room (an hour or two)

Coasterkidmwm wrote:

Post December 26th, 2013, 11:40 pm
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Maintenance? Whats that? Does it cost money? Will it impact the bottom line? The shared holders come first you know!

Post December 27th, 2013, 1:04 am
Turbo User avatar

Okay, here it is, the 24 picture review of:

DAY 1

Okay, lets start with my flight, I'll make this quick. From Seattle to Los Angeles is normally 2hr 5min, however with the guido duo it was a 3.5 hour adventure full of ladies trying to stab me with a purse and being forced to have even less room than my coach seat had provided. yay.

We landed at 10 and got to the park at 11, we didn't bother with the hotel because we were an hour late anyway. We got to the parking lot and immediately realized that we needed to just relax today. Normally with us we wouldn't care about lines and just get on as many rides as possible. This was not the case today, we just relaxed and took things slow. The first ride we came across was Full Throttle, they really slap you in the face with it as you walk in, so we couldn't resist. I already have an issue with the layout and ride capacity, and I didn't think that I could get more irritated with the ride. Boy was I wrong.

~Full Throttle~

The queue and station I didn't like from seeing it online, but I actually liked it in person MUCH more. The queue was moving at a ridiculously slow speed as expected so I was just being patient. Because what else could I do.

To my surprise the launch made absolutely no sound whatsoever. It was AWESOME and mysterious, it added a bit of wonder to the ride for those who have no idea how roller coasters operate. It was also pretty powerful, but I'll get to that later.

So we finally get to the station run by Nazi's.Say goodbye to preferred seating. I kid you not they told us where to sit, took us step by step what we had to do FOR them, then they would kick off people who pulled down their lap bars. The staff was "required" to do that for us, I think they might get off on watching us suffer. NOT TO MENTION that they were so bad at their jobs they would just start loading the next train as the first one just stopped on the transfer track. They loaded the trains in approx. 2.5 min each time and took another minute doing random un-needed checks before launching us, then the other train would move to the station after sitting on the transfer track for about 2 minutes. I was thoroughly disappointed staff wise even for six flags.

Let's talk about the ride. VERY fun, I rode it twice today. It was surprisingly forceful and worth a few rides. Even though the staff could all be fired and replaced with dyslexic monkeys it was awesome. The launch was very forceful and like i said before almost dead silent. The loop had crazy amounts of hang-time and the open-seating + lap bars only added to the experience. The quick turns up the mountain were simple and effective, followed by the roll type dive loop into the tunnel where the ride stopped, and launched backwards. After the train re-enters the tunnel again there was yet another launch. All 3 launches on the ride were amazingly forceful and fun. The Final drop was astounding in the front seat and even the front had lots of negative g's. The brakes were nice and comfortable to end the ride part of the experience.

After Full throttle we kept going right in the park and passed Goliath. We love that ride but the like was almost at the beginning of the queue so we decided against it for today.

~SCREAM!~

Next we hit up SCREAM!, it was just as expected: forceful and the exact opposite of Medu... I'm sorry, "Bizarro".

Not much to say other than it's a very fun ride and overlooked a bit too much.

Sadly Batman and Green Lantern suffered the same fate as Goliath, so those will be done ASAP.

~Riddler's Revenge~

After hanging out in the back of the park for quite some time we hit up Riddler's Revenge, which is one of my favorites in the park. Long, Standing, Good Layout, everything for a good ride. The wait said 2 hours but it was more like 40 minutes, not too bad considering the park had a good amount of visitors today.

Next we were planning on Ninja but it was closed today along with X2. Bummer, but I know that Ninja will be open tomorrow so I'm pretty happy :)

~Apocalypse~

My personal favorite GCI, it's theme is still an apocalypse theme but there are still remnants of the Skynet theming which makes me smile. This ride is an AWESOME in every way: fast, good g's, lots of headchoppers, and is always a raging woodie. Also fire.

Tatsu's line was just a bit too long when we got to it, but that will be ridden tomorrow fur sure. Anyway I snagged a few good pics of it

At this point it was getting late and we rode Full Throttle one more time. It was way better at night. Here are some of the pics I took before we left the park

Well that's the report of the day, come hang out with us tomorrow, I'll be hanging out near the back of the park for most of the day and I will be there before the gates open, look for these two fools:

Me

My Grandpa

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed and there will be an update tomorrow.

Coasterkidmwm wrote:

Post December 27th, 2013, 1:40 am
A.S.C. User avatar
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Points on hand: 59.00 Points
Bank: 1,276.00 Points
Full Throttle looks nice at night, thanks for sharing.

Edit- Wish I could make it out, your grandpa looks like a cool dude. But sadly I'm in Ohio!

Post December 27th, 2013, 1:52 am
Turbo User avatar

I'm making a trip to Cedar Point over the summer with him, I'll keep you posted :)

Coasterkidmwm wrote:

Post December 27th, 2013, 2:05 am
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

Full Throttle just really pisses me off. Such a waste in terms of what Premier AND SFMM are capable of. X, Tatsu, Apocalypse, and Riddlers are probably my favorite. Green Lantern is also a waste but it doesn't take up much real estate so I dont concern myself with it as much. Though with that said, I preferred Superman Ultimate Flight at SFDK to Full Throttle and that could theoretically fit in the foot print of Green Lantern, so think about that.

But enough of my ranting. Looks like you got a lot accomplished for the most part. There are days where you will get there at opening, leave at closing and only get on 6 rides in 10 hours.

Post December 27th, 2013, 2:58 am

Points on hand: 2,652.00 Points
Bank: 2,739.00 Points

don't be deterred by the wait time for tatsu or x2, the wait is totally worth it.
"if you found your laughin' place, how come you ain't laughin'."https://www.facebook.com/calicoaster1/

Post December 27th, 2013, 3:20 am
Turbo User avatar

Ive been going to this park for years, I love it haha. Anyway anyone in for coming out and being part of day 2?

Coasterkidmwm wrote:

Post December 27th, 2013, 4:41 pm

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points
I'd pull a sharp dagger on the staff if they tried to tell me where to sit or attempted to kick me off for pulling down my own restraint.

Post December 27th, 2013, 5:13 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
I would leash myself to a tree and call myself the Throttle Dog and spend the night at the park and ask women if their children would ride Full Throttle with me and then I would get arrested but leave Six Flags with more terrible pedophile stigma...

Post December 28th, 2013, 1:08 am
Turbo User avatar

It is truly annoying to have both line AND seat nazi's. I have compiled a few lists of what rides have which (Tatsu and Revolution have yet to be ridden, so they are not on the lists yet):

None:
Ninja
Apocalypse
Colossus
Scream
Riddler's Revenge
Roadrunner Express

Line Nazi's:
Batman The Ride
Green Lantern: First Flight
Viper
Superman: Escape From Krypton

Seat Nazi's:
Gold Rusher

Line and Seat Nazi's:
Full Throttle
Goliath

DAY 2

Today was a lot different from yesterday, we got around a lot more of the park and rode many more rides for which I am very thankful. After breakfast we headed to the park to find the new place of the parking lot.

Apparently they begin letting cars in at 9:30am or so. Anyway we got through the crowd of cars, parked near the entrance of the pathway to the entrance, then walked the walk towards the gates. We sat at the gates for a while then they let us in at 10:30. We skipped going to Full Throttle and headed straight for Goliath.

~Goliath~

Walking up, we saw this beautiful sight and had to take a pic

We got to the queue to find some people having a party or something while they weren't allowed to start heading for the station. Once they let us through we were happy to see Goliath peeking through the trees at us.

Luckily we were able to get in line before the line nazi got to her post. When we boarded the train we quickly learned that we were also dealing with seat nazi's, we were once again not able to pull our own restraints down because of fear. Yay for guest abuse! Another thing that irked me was that it seems that the staff is trained to wait for dispatch until train 2 is on the very last brake run and fully stopped.

~Green Lantern~

We wasted no time heading for our next target: Green Lantern. I love this ride and ZacSpins in general, they're always cool.

I had a great view of Batman through the entrance of Green Lantern, so I had to snag this pic haha

Just the look of the cars is cool and I love getting into them, even if my left arm has no mobility.

Always a good ride, great forces, lots of inversions and great for abuse! A few years ago my sister, grandpa, and I tried something I was curious about. My grandpa and I were on one side and my sister on the other. We displaced the weight so much that we got the most spins on a full circuit than I've ever seen on a ZacSpin... BY FAR! If you ever get a chance to try, I'd recommend it.

After we got off Green Lantern we went straight for Batman, all 100 yards away haha

~Batman: The Ride~

I love this ride, the theming, forces, and just general feel of the ride just feel right for me haha, I'm just going to leave a few pics here because I don't want to type why I love this ride atm haha

I still think the original color scheme was better.

Next up is Superman, this ride was awesome but too short. luckily that means tat load times are relatively close together.

~Superman: Escape From Krypton~

As long as the ride was, it was (as always) a fun ride. even though it's about 20-30 seconds long, it is a pretty sweet 20-30 seconds. Backwards launch and just hanging out weightless for 6ish seconds.

Because I love you all, I gave the no-arm-movement-restraints the finger and got a pretty good pic looking down vertically :)

Our next venture was for Ninja, but a full queue and the ride only 1 train didn't mix so we headed off towards Apocalypse. Before getting there though we got a few good pics of Ninja

~Human Slingshot~

After walking around for quite a bit, we came to the slingshot ride again, this time we have pics!

We are very familiar with this ride, we have one at the Puyallup Fair in Washington. When riding one, DO NOT extend your legs at all, you'll flip much more :D

In the gift shop of Apocalypse I happened upon this little gem

It makes me happy to see a relic of a time long gone :)

After Apocalypse we headed for Viper.

~Viper~

Not only did I manage to get a great view of the skyline from the station

I also managed to get a pic of a line nazi. He's on the far right.

After riding, I realize just mow much I hate those particular backrests on older arrow trains so I may not ride Viper again this time around, but we'll see.

Walking across the park to check out Lex Luthor's Drop of Doom, I got a cool pic of Full Throttle, and I'll just go ahead and leave a few pics of neat angles I got of Full Throttle today. Also 1 nice pic of Revolution and a few of Tatsu because I haven't ridden them on this trip yet.

So we passed Full Throttle and stopped in front of Goliath and under Superman for some seriously orgasmic corn dogs

When we walked by Lex Luthor's Drop of Doom, it was just opening and we were able to get in with a short line.

~Lex Luthor's Drop of Doom~

This ride was absolutely amazing and MUCH better than expected. I managed to get a few pics of the Lex Corp themed queue, really cool

After we got past the main queue, we were led outside next to the tower and were told what side to go on. we did so and in the process I got these 2 pics

So the restraints were EXTREMELY open and I loved that, it was pretty much a lap bar and the shoulder parts were kind of just there as car theming. The ascent was extremely smooth and we were brought a tiny bit higher than the brakes at the end of superman's track. After a few short seconds of listening to Lex Luthor telling us that he was just killing us off for fun (not really, he wanted to eradicate the vermin [anyone not lex] from the world) the car stops, and for a few short seconds we sit, waiting, wondering when the catch car will drop us (I think the time varies per ride). The drop actually caught me by surprise and I felt my gut pretend to be a basketball player shooting a hoop. The drop was maybe 8 seconds of absolute awesomeness and then the brakes caught us smoothly and brought us safely to the ground. Very fun ride and I will go on it a few more times before I leave.

After walking away we went to Colossus and rode that. Not much to say but classic woodie :)

Watching a guy almost win a tv was pretty cool

~Gold Rusher~

Eventually we got to Gold Rusher. As usual there was no line for it so we hopped on. It was just a simple yet satisfying mine train coaster and lots of cool views on it.

Walking up the mountain again we got to see a cool view of Ninja

~Ninja~

Ninja is always awesome and extremely fun to ride at night. The suspended cars are really put to use on this ride as there never seems to be a brake section. Sadly, the wait for the ride was about an hour because they were only running one train. I think they were playing with the amount that the cars can swing because the one train they had running seemed to swing a bit more than I remember in all my years of going to the park.

After ninja we were pretty much done for the day and headed out. Luckily I was able to grab 2 more pics on the way out

So here I am, on the end of Day 2 typing in my hotel room with sore feet and the ambition for tomorrow. I cant wait and anyone is welcome to join us on Days 3 and 4. I do not know how big those days updates are going to be but probably shorter than this one.

I hope you enjoyed todays update, thanks for reading!

Coasterkidmwm wrote:

Post December 28th, 2013, 2:41 am
A.S.C. User avatar
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Points on hand: 59.00 Points
Bank: 1,276.00 Points
Thanks a bunch for posting pictures (descriptions are great too). It's things like Ninjas station, pictures from the tree filled paths and other things showing the atmosphere that I really don't think TPR or many other people have captured with their TR.

Post December 28th, 2013, 3:31 am
Turbo User avatar

There is a reason its my favorite park :)

If there is a pic or video you'd like to request, something you'd like to see or see me do or whatever I can try my best to make it happen, however video may need to wait until I get back to upload.

Coasterkidmwm wrote:

Post December 28th, 2013, 5:05 am

Points on hand: 2,736.00 Points
Did you really try to go for the front on every ride? You are missing out on a lot of gem ride experiences.
Originally posted by dcs221
\nMack Daddy A113. That'll be your rap name.

Post December 28th, 2013, 6:08 am
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,053.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

Post December 28th, 2013, 11:05 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Thanks for the pictures and descriptions. Also as a side note, I'd bet lots of money the line nazi's don't like having their workload doubled for no pay increase because that obese lady in Texas ruined everything.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post December 28th, 2013, 12:04 pm
Turbo User avatar

We didn't try, we were told to go to different seats, but somehow we got the front a lot

Coasterkidmwm wrote:

Post December 28th, 2013, 1:05 pm

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points
I'm personally a fan of the haphazard, probably-stapled-on rope lights on the steel ring of Full Throttle.

Next

Return to Theme Park Meets