Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! SFNE Batman Construction Halted. (Now cancelled!)

SFNE Batman Construction Halted. (Now cancelled!)

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Points on hand: 5,801.00 Points

Batman is Dead.

Original article link - http://tinyurl.com/48psfg
AGAWAM - Citing construction delays, Six Flags New England announced today that its new $7.5 million Dark Knight Coaster will not open in 2008.

Construction was halted for a time by Agawam building officials' concerns over flood plain issues and changes in the footprint of the structure.

There were also issues with the state. Last week, Robert A. Anderson, chief of inspection for the Building Division of the state Department of Public Safety, confirmed that details of an agreement between Six Flags and the state on a fire suppression sprinkler system and on emergency exits from the roller coaster building were being finalized.

But park officials said too much time had passed to meet the planned Memorial Day weekend opening of the ride - an indoor roller coaster that would swoop through a Gotham City being battled over by Batman and The Joker.

In a press release this morning, Six Flags New England President Larry Litton said, "Given what we always knew was a challenging construction schedule, we have been proceeding along a parallel track with a contingency plan for the 2008 season and we're very excited to announce Glow in the Park - a phenomenal nighttime extravaganza that will blow our guests away."

Six Flags, Inc. is the world's largest regional theme park company with 21 parks across the United States, Mexico and Canada.

Coaster information - http://rcdb.com/id4048.htm

With the coaster being on hold for 2008, Six Flags has also announced that it will feature a 'Glow in the Park Parade' in place of the roller coaster.

More information;
http://www.sixflags.com/newEngland/info ... epark.aspx
Last edited by Canadmos on April 16th, 2008, 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post April 15th, 2008, 1:37 pm

Points on hand: 2,481.00 Points

wow, that sucks [:(]
Founder of the (Un-Official) Site Welcoming Crew --- I'M CUCKOO FOR COASTERCRAZY!!!

Post April 15th, 2008, 2:52 pm

Points on hand: 7,125.00 Points

ahh, it does suck. I was planning on going when the ride was planned as open, now it wont be, and next year i may not be able to get over to that park, or any of the parks with a dark night :\ Too bad.

Post April 15th, 2008, 9:11 pm

Points on hand: 1,541.00 Points
wow if that was the six flags by me i would be really pissed off

Post April 15th, 2008, 9:12 pm

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

Why? It's just a mouse coaster and uhh...something called SROS is right next to it. Maybe you've heard of it...

Post April 15th, 2008, 10:09 pm

Points on hand: 4,152.00 Points

Post April 15th, 2008, 11:00 pm

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points

Post April 15th, 2008, 11:10 pm

Points on hand: 62.00 Points
nothing saying that it'll be delayed until 2009, so there is still a possible chance that it would open in the 08 season.

Post April 15th, 2008, 11:24 pm

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
"Dark Knight Coaster will not open in 2008." -first sentence of the article

Um...might want to lay off the weed.

Post April 16th, 2008, 11:01 am

Points on hand: 5,801.00 Points

It is now being reported that the ride will never be finished at Six Flags New England.

I find this pretty funny. A company that was (is?) in so much debt trouble screws up a 7 million dollar project. GREAT JOB GUYS! I'm sure Shapiro is thrilled right now. [lol][lol]

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/region ... 2&srvc=rss

AGAWAM - Six Flags New England is canceling plans to build a $7 million "Dark Knight" indoor roller coaster.

Park spokeswoman Melissa Pinkerton says the Batman-themed coaster won't be built at the Agawam park as expected. Work already done will be dismantled.

Park officials cited a tight construction schedule and other "unforeseen delays" in the decision to cancel the project, which was slated to open this season.

Agawam officials ordered Six Flags to stop work on the coaster in February, saying it started construction before getting a building permit and permission to exceed the area?????????s 45-foot height limit.

The park received several key approvals from town boards since then, but still did not expect to have the ride built and open until at least late May or early June.

Post April 16th, 2008, 11:36 am
Gav User avatar

Points on hand: 2,076.00 Points

Post April 16th, 2008, 12:03 pm

Points on hand: 1,151.00 Points

Just when I thought Six Flags was starting to get back on their feet...

I would love to know the rest of this story, such as why they didn't secure permits before building.

Post April 16th, 2008, 3:17 pm

Points on hand: 2,481.00 Points

[shocked] wow, those morons... not getting a permit [xx(] [stoning]

they BETTER give batman the dark knight its original name back!!! [:(!]
Founder of the (Un-Official) Site Welcoming Crew --- I'M CUCKOO FOR COASTERCRAZY!!!

Post April 17th, 2008, 2:19 pm

Points on hand: 5,473.00 Points
Too bad. Luckily for me, I'm also going to SFGAdv this year, so I stil get to ride one of them [:P]
Coaster count: 153
Moving to Singapore in july!

Post April 18th, 2008, 1:44 am

Points on hand: 65.00 Points
well i actually work for sfne and they are tryng to get the go ahead to finish the coaster but now that the park is open for the season that would be and issue being that the coaster will be next to the most popular ride in the whole park[:(].

Post April 18th, 2008, 8:20 am

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

Well I guess they can just give it to another park in '09, it's not like it's that hard to fit it anywhere...you just need a rectangle slab of concrete.

Oh yeah, and permits [lol]

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!