Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Shoot The Rapids Boat Accident

Shoot The Rapids Boat Accident

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post July 20th, 2013, 12:33 am
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 44.00 Points
Bank: 4,333.00 Points
In what seems to be a very dark day in the Theme Park indstury fallowing the news of a guest having been thrown from the "New Texas Giant" at Six Flags over Texas, rival park Cedar Point in Sandusky Ohio has had a major accident as-well.

Sources are hard to come by, (Basically the Sandusky Register deleted the story before I could read it.) but it seems as though a chain dog failed on one of the lift hills. The boat then fell down the hill backwards and overturned into the channel of water that guides the ride. Sources say about 10 guests were on the ride at the time.

As of now, no deaths have been reported but we (I) will stay on top of this story as it develops.

Here is the link to the non-existent story about the Cedar Point this. In case it comes back or something.

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/search/ ... 204308286s

EDIT:

Ok, so it seems everyone was linking to the wrong page. It did post but not to the above link. Here is the Sandusky Register's story.

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/article ... nt/4308286
Last edited by Tetsu on July 20th, 2013, 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post July 20th, 2013, 6:48 am

Points on hand: 94.00 Points

Post July 20th, 2013, 1:19 pm
Jer User avatar

Points on hand: 1,089.00 Points

Thats really scary considering I was there only a week before this incident. Still, it's good to hear that so far no one had died.
Phoenix|Maverick|Skyrush|RFII|Leviathan|Bizzaro[SFNE]|Bdash|Griffon|El Toro|Verbolten
RIP Chiller: 1997-2008

Post July 20th, 2013, 2:58 pm
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 44.00 Points
Bank: 4,333.00 Points
There is an update that now states there were 7 guests on the boat at the time. One person was taken to a local hospital and was released later that night. No major injuries were reported. As for the other six guests, they were evaluated at the Cedar Point First Aid station and released.

Cedar Point operators and first responders have been credited for quick action that turned this from a very bad accident to a relativity happy ending.

I would assume that Shoot the Rapids will be closed do to the investigation(s) and possible retrofitting.

Post July 20th, 2013, 4:21 pm

Points on hand: 421.00 Points
Bank: 2,954.10 Points
With that, it would be impossible to "overturn". It did list on its side, but did not completely flip. When going backwards, the rear edge of the boat hit the retaining wall and caused the boat to wedge itself between the bottom of the flume track and the rock wall.
A big drop is a good drop.

Post July 20th, 2013, 11:28 pm

Points on hand: 6,575.00 Points

Originally posted by Cali Coaster

What you can't see in the picture is that the boat does "connect" with the track in a center piece. "Locking" the boat to the track.

I tried to point it out below...

Image Insert:
3100.52 KB
Cedar Point
2008-2015
--2015--
Beach Band- June-August
https://www.facebook.com/TrumpetDMR

Post July 21st, 2013, 12:55 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Originally posted by Cali Coaster

Awwwww look at the pretend engineer
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!