Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Should We Create Own Roller Coaster Poll?

Should We Create Own Roller Coaster Poll?

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Yes
86%
No
14%

Total votes : 42

Post September 16th, 2010, 8:35 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,572.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post September 16th, 2010, 8:48 pm

Points on hand: 1,085.00 Points
Another great idea by me[:p]
This is not my signature.

Post September 16th, 2010, 8:49 pm

Points on hand: 4,765.00 Points

Post September 16th, 2010, 8:52 pm
Jer User avatar

Points on hand: 1,089.00 Points

Why not?
Phoenix|Maverick|Skyrush|RFII|Leviathan|Bizzaro[SFNE]|Bdash|Griffon|El Toro|Verbolten
RIP Chiller: 1997-2008

Post September 16th, 2010, 9:18 pm

Points on hand: 1,385.00 Points
Wait, is this supposed to be "Should we create our own poll" or "Should we create our own coaster"?
Originally posted by dcs221
\n"they see me trollin', they hatin'..." -Omnigeek6

Chamillionaire you are not...but white and nerdy, yes.

Post September 16th, 2010, 9:25 pm

Points on hand: 1,112.00 Points

Post September 16th, 2010, 9:25 pm
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 44.00 Points
Bank: 4,333.00 Points
No. Unless we get other people from other sites involved. If not, its not gonna change.

Post September 16th, 2010, 9:39 pm

Points on hand: 5,657.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
Oscar, you should start your own coaster club lol. Call it AOCE - American Oscar and Coaster Enthusiasts [lol]
[19:34:14] RideWarriorNation: jim
[19:34:27] RideWarriorNation: can you pls change sig
[19:35:22] Jcoasters: ok
[19:35:39] RideWarriorNation: ty

Post September 16th, 2010, 9:40 pm
slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,728.00 Points
How about "MACE"? The Mexican-American coaster enthusiasts.
Boulder Dash was the only good roller coaster.

"or if you're when the hydraulic fluid was dumped out of the motor is goes 200ft up the tower and is like "LOL nope"" - CKMWM 2016

Post September 16th, 2010, 9:41 pm

Points on hand: 72.00 Points
Bank: 12,611.00 Points
We should use a coaster rating system like we have for NL tracks. People rate a real coaster in 3 categories: T, A, O. T would also include factors like car comfort, roughness, etc. For example, Maverick could loose a few T points for having absolutely shitty OTSR's. (But have hell of an A and O score.)

Perhaps it's a stupid idea but I'd bet that it'd turn out better than the Golden Ticket Awards.

Post September 16th, 2010, 9:44 pm

Originally posted by slosprint

How about "MACE"? The Mexican-American coaster enthusiasts.

yes

Post September 16th, 2010, 9:47 pm
slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,728.00 Points
I don't think T is applicable IRL lol. Also, Maverick's OTSRs didn't really bother me at all. You just have to lean into the transitions and they don't hurt. Perhaps we could have a total of 100 points and award 10 points for each category, such as the following:

Pacing
Airtime
Positive Gs
Laterals
Comfort
Scenery
Interaction with surroundings
Layout
Capacity (or queue time)
Sudden, unexpected elements

The above are just possibilities, Better categories could be substituted in.
Boulder Dash was the only good roller coaster.

"or if you're when the hydraulic fluid was dumped out of the motor is goes 200ft up the tower and is like "LOL nope"" - CKMWM 2016

Post September 16th, 2010, 9:51 pm

Points on hand: 1,601.00 Points
Well, we could just start off with an incredibly simple one like "list your top 3; the roller coaster with the most points at the end will win (3 for a #1 rank, 2 for #2, and 1 for #3)" or something like that. It may turn out horribly skewed, or it may be so crazy that it just....might....work.

Post September 16th, 2010, 10:04 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,572.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

Originally posted by Freddie

Hawker poll.

With your train of thought we would only have 1 roller coaster manufacturer.
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post September 16th, 2010, 11:17 pm

Points on hand: 2,597.00 Points
Originally posted by boneplaya

Well, we could just start off with an incredibly simple one like "list your top 3; the roller coaster with the most points at the end will win (3 for a #1 rank, 2 for #2, and 1 for #3)" or something like that. It may turn out horribly skewed, or it may be so crazy that it just....might....work.

Tha doesn't take into account who has been on what rides though.

Post September 16th, 2010, 11:24 pm
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

Originally posted by slosprint

I don't think T is applicable IRL lol. Also, Maverick's OTSRs didn't really bother me at all. You just have to lean into the transitions and they don't hurt. Perhaps we could have a total of 100 points and award 10 points for each category, such as the following:

Pacing
Airtime
Positive Gs
Laterals
Comfort
Scenery
Interaction with surroundings
Layout
Capacity (or queue time)
Sudden, unexpected elements

The above are just possibilities, Better categories could be substituted in.

I'd hate having so many categories. Not all coasters have airtime, not all have a lot of positive g's, not all have scenery, interaction, etc. Rating real coasters is very subjective. There are many different reasons to like a coaster, and most of the best aren't good because they have everything, but more because they do one or two things really well. I don't think the traditional T/A/O would work either, though, because most often a coaster doesn't have to be smooth or original to be good. Again, these things are often a factor in why a coaster is good, but they don't have to be.

I do think some sort of Coastercrazy poll would be great, though. I've been looking for a site that has a good database of park/coaster reviews ever since rollercoaster.com shut down in 2003.

Post September 16th, 2010, 11:34 pm

Points on hand: 72.00 Points
Bank: 12,611.00 Points
Come to think of it, making a list of "best coasters in the world" is not much different than "best guitarist/drummer/violinist/any other specific instrument player in the world". At some point it all goes down to personal preference, and you can tell the MF fanboys prefer nothing but length, speed, height, and overbanks. Some riders may prefer old-fashioned hypers (such as Arrow's) over B&M's for the jolt of negative G's on their "badly" designed airtime hills, while others prefer 1st gen B&M hypers for the smoothness and floater. Lots of members here also prefer wooden rides to steel. I haven't been on any good wooden coasters so I wouldn't know.

Thus there's not really much to a top list/poll, but you'd make one for some of the same reasons you'd have a "top uploads of the week" list on the exchange. Mostly for reference to see what's most popular.

Post September 17th, 2010, 1:12 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
I don't think we should make our own poll. Sure, it's fun to do but the result won't be reliable because
-We don't have that many participating members
-We don't have a high (international) coastercount
-Which means that a regular poll will give the most ridden coaster the advantage over a better, less ridden coaster.

I think the best course of action is to encourage everybody to fill in the Hawker Poll. The more people that send in their lists, the more 'reliable' the poll will get.

Post September 17th, 2010, 1:15 am
Jer User avatar

Points on hand: 1,089.00 Points

^If we need international I'm an avid poster on a British coaster site i could maybe get them to participate.
Phoenix|Maverick|Skyrush|RFII|Leviathan|Bizzaro[SFNE]|Bdash|Griffon|El Toro|Verbolten
RIP Chiller: 1997-2008

Post September 17th, 2010, 2:09 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
Originally posted by Jer

^If we need international I'm an avid poster on a British coaster site i could maybe get them to participate.

The problem isn't that there aren't enough nations represented on the forum, it's the fact that very few of us have ridden a lot of coasters around the world.

For example, if we would poll which would be better, Bizzaro or Expedetion GeForce. Bizzaro would win because there are far more people on this site that have ridden Bizzaro but might not even know Expedition GeForce exists.
A regular poll would only work if all the people would have ridden 250+ coasters or something.

But perhaps Oscar could ask Mitch Hawker to run his algorithm again, but then on our lists and only our lists. That way we would get our own Best Coaster lists.

Post September 17th, 2010, 9:02 am

Points on hand: 2,597.00 Points
^ That would sound like the best way to do it if we did do a poll.

Post September 17th, 2010, 10:05 am

Points on hand: 7,125.00 Points

We've tried this before, with a good enough format it would be great though- if we got other sites involved.

Post September 20th, 2010, 3:56 pm

Points on hand: 6,869.00 Points
Well, we all know MF is the best ride in the world and we'll leave it at... oh wait...

Post September 20th, 2010, 5:17 pm

hey, I have an Idea!! Lets have all the members of this sight get together and form a roller coaster company, using a $30 Software!!! No, but seriosly we should, and NL is pretty realistic, but wouldn't cut it lol.

Return to General Theme Park Discussions