Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park Reviews Six Flags Great Adventure Review

Six Flags Great Adventure Review

Staff approved theme park reviews are posted here. Read the sticky topic for details in posting your reviews.

Post October 16th, 2016, 2:30 pm
Xenon User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 375.00 Points
Bank: 431.00 Points
Since I have been here many times (It's my home park), I have quite an edge when it comes to reviewing this. This is my completely honest and unbiased review.

The food here at SFGAd... Well, it's nothing special. Just your typical amusement park food. But it is tasty, though. 7/10.

Most of the roller coasters here are unique. You have El Toro, which is fantastic, Kingda Ka, which is the world's tallest roller coaster, a good hyper and floorless, and two B&M clones. However, Green Lantern, which is a standup coaster, isn't all that great except in the front row. When I rode this, my family jewels got obliterated. 8/10.

The operations aren't all that great. Not really SFAm bad, but not Cedar Point or Europa Park good either. Somewhere in between. I think it took about three minutes to dispatch Bizzaro when I rode it, and stacking did occur while I was on the ride. 6/10.

There are plenty of family rides here, as long as many thrill rides as well, making it a great family park. The locations of all of the rides are good, except for Bizzaro, where you have to walk through Bugs Bunny National Park to get to it. 9/10.

The prices are sort of highway robbery, though. It is $67.99 each for tickets, season passes are $79.99 each, gold passes are $194.99 each, and flash passes are $44.99 each. 5/10. (As pointed out by dcs221, tickets and season passes are cheaper at the beginning of the season as opposed to the middle or the end of it)

Overall score: 35/50. To be honest, SFGAd is a huge park, the largest in the world actually, and in my opinion, it was quite disappointing to come back and see it really wasn't as fun as I remember, and that was in 2006. (I was seven years old at the time) Nevertheless, it's still a very fun park to go to, and that is why it's considered the best Six Flags park in the chain.
Last edited by Xenon on October 17th, 2016, 8:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
hyyyper wrote:
Turbo wrote:
WCD-Ltd wrote:
Some of the complaining people lived up to 200 Km away
That's a joke right? What complaint could they have possibly given?

They should only be allowed to complain about the coaster being built too far away from them.

Post October 16th, 2016, 3:32 pm
Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
SFGADV is overall a fun park. I'll be going back this summer and I'm really looking forward to ride a Justice League in it's first season because knowing Six Flags it should deteriorate before year 2 begins.

El Toro is an amazing ride, but will never be able to top Boulder Dash for me. Fite me.

Kingda Ka is absolute trash. The first time I rode it I loved it but now I couldn't care less about it. The launch is trash compared to Xcelerator's.

I must have caught Nitro on an off day since it wasn't as great as everyone says it is. I think it's very overhyped but still a great ride. I like Apollo's Chariot better though.

SFGADV has one of the better Batman's I've been on.

I really couldn't care less about Superman.

Green Lantern makes me mad because they removed GASM for that garbage.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Post October 16th, 2016, 6:42 pm

Points on hand: 662.00 Points
^^ Glad to know I am not the only one who thinks that removing GASM for green Chang was the parks worst decisions. I miss that ride so much it was my favorite arrow.

Post October 16th, 2016, 6:54 pm
Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
I was unfortunately never able to ride GASM, but Viper was amazing. I always did like GASM's layout a bit more.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Post October 16th, 2016, 8:22 pm

Points on hand: 662.00 Points
I have been able to ride both. Viper was a great ride and it saddens me to hear that it might be removed as well, but GASM was better in my opinion. It's layout is more spread out and it was amazing coming into the park seeing the 3 loops. Definitely was a chain riding kind of coaster!

Post October 17th, 2016, 2:15 am

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
We had wanted to see GASM (all-American so good ol') and Green Lantern (exactly in the world of modern cartoons) coexist! Just my two cents.
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Post October 17th, 2016, 5:13 pm
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
Xenon wrote:
The prices are acceptable. It is $83.99 each for tickets

I do not agree. 84$ is A LOT for a themepark on just entry fee.

If I calculate this to our local themeparks, Same price gives you:
- A Season Pass to Walibi Holland. Which returns money in about 2,5 visits.
- You have entrance to Efteling for 2 people and still some spare change.
- You can get entry to Phantasialand and still have plenty money left to buy a big souvenir or 2 quick passes to skip the queues.
- You have a 2 days entry ticket to Europa Park.
- You have 2 days entry ticket to Alton Towers and money left to buy a meal in the park.

And heck, it's frickin' Six Flags anyway. If you travel a little: Travel to a small Six Flags park (Like Six Flags America) and buy their Season Pass, which is usually around the same price as the entrance fee. (50$) Permits you to free entry to any of the other Six Flags parks.
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post October 17th, 2016, 7:13 pm
Xenon User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

84$ is A LOT for a themepark on just entry fee

Now that you mention it, I forgot to say that I reccomend buying the season pass as well, just to save money if one visits SFGAd multiple times throughout the year. (If you're visiting just once, however, then you have no choice but to hand over $84) So, if you're someone who lives off ramen noodles in a college dorm room, then SFGAd is definitely not for you.

Then again, this is my home park, so I'm pretty used to the prices. But after some research, yes, $84 per person is absolutely ridiculous compared to a park like Cedar Point, where it is nearly $20 cheaper for tickets at the gate. ($47.58 plus tax if you want to buy online)

European parks also tend to charge visitors tremendously less than US parks.
hyyyper wrote:
Turbo wrote:
WCD-Ltd wrote:

They should only be allowed to complain about the coaster being built too far away from them.

Post October 17th, 2016, 7:26 pm

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
If you're paying almost $200 for a GAdv season pass, you're doing it wrong. Even if you can't go to a smaller park, try to get GAdv's early. I got mine fairly cheap, way less than half of that number.

Post October 17th, 2016, 7:35 pm
Xenon User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Even if you can't go to a smaller park, try to get GAdv's early.

Just wrote that down on the review. Kind of surprised I didn't even know that.

Also gave you credit for the fact.
Last edited by Xenon on October 17th, 2016, 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hyyyper wrote:
Turbo wrote:
WCD-Ltd wrote:

Post October 17th, 2016, 7:47 pm

Points on hand: 6,539.00 Points
I just paid $38 for a SFOT Gold season pass, so def doing it wrong (to be fair, I already had a 2016 pass and got my friend in for $9.99, then upgraded...but still dirt cheap).

Post October 17th, 2016, 8:00 pm
Xenon User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

aj74205 wrote:
I just paid $38 for a SFOT Gold season pass, so def doing it wrong (to be fair, I already had a 2016 pass and got my friend in for $9.99, then upgraded...but still dirt cheap).

The $200 pass I was talking about was the gold pass. The regular season pass is $80, while one-day tickets are $68. God, I'm stupid.
hyyyper wrote:
Turbo wrote:
WCD-Ltd wrote:

Post October 17th, 2016, 8:43 pm
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
aj74205 wrote:

As Europeans we even managed to get one of those e-mail deals Six Flags had. 2 Gold passes for the price of 1 at SFFT. It was about 65$ for the pair (or something around that price range).
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Return to Theme Park Reviews