Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park Trip Reports Six Flags: Great Adventure trip report

Six Flags: Great Adventure trip report

Visited a theme park and have a wild time?!? Post your trip report here and tell us all about it!

Post August 5th, 2005, 1:02 am

Points on hand: 3,800.00 Points

I got to the park around 10:30, where the parking lot was very empty. It was a scorcher today. Comming up to the ticket booth we were greeted with a sad sign. It read "The Kingda Ka will be closed today".

First ride up was the Superman: Ultimate Flight. We waited on line for about an hour,including a delay when they added the second train to the track. I sat in the front row and it was my first time on this ride. I had a blast, only when i got off I found that my cell phone had vanished. No chance of getting it until after the park closes at 10pm. I was sad because when I called it i would ring thus meaning it was working and on wherever it was.

Next up was the Great American Scream Machine. The line moved fairly quickly only for us to get up to the very front, and it to close due to technical difficulties. Everyone on line left as they had brought out the cherry-picker to do some brake work. Now it was already almost 1:30 and time for lunch.

After lunch we went right for the Batman and Robin: Chiller. Only the Robin side was working as usual. There was about an hour and 0 min wait but it was nice to escape the heat. Also the friends who were with me had never been on a launch style coaster so it was a big deal for them. Right after Chiller we headed for Nitro.

A quck breeze through the line on Nitro got us 3 or 4 rides from the front seats when the ride was stopped due to incliment weather. And boy what weather it was. There was heavey down-pours, lots of thunder and lightening, and it even hailed for a good 10 minutes. The worst part was that the power to the entire park went out for a good minute or so. This caused all sorts of problems for the coasters which, despite being stopped were still running(as in the lift hill chains were still going and such). So when the rains stopped and the Batman ride next to us started testing everyone cheered just to hear a nice announcement. "The nitro is temporarily closed due to a minor technical difficulty..." in short, the thing wouldn't turn on. It took a good hour to fix that but the Nitro as always was well worth the 3 and a half hour wait.

After the Nitro it was about 6:30PM and my dad called with some amazing news. The Kingda Ka was open and a line was forming fast. We raced over to the Golden Kingdom to get in line just inside the enterance to the golden kingdom with a 45 min wait. The line moved very quickly as they carefully regulated how many people got on as this was just a test run for tomorrow, when the Kingda Ka officially re-opens.

After tossing all of our pockets contents into a computer controlled $2 locker we were off to the station platform. My father and I waited for the front row while my friends took rows 2 and 3 on the first train. Unfortunately they stopped the traffic to the coaster almost right behind us, so we were forced to fill in the rest of the train as they said they would not dispatch unless every seat was filled.

There was one open seat and no one was taking it so I went for it. It was in the 6th row but didn't matter. All I can say is wow. Such an amazing coaster. The launch is extremely fast(0 to 124 in 3.5 seconds) and the top hat was incredible. Once I got back to the station there was only about 7 or 8 people waiting for the next ride. And since every seat had to be filled you know what that means? SECOND RIDE. This time I moved up one row and switched sides and I was with my dad. Again, it was an extreme rush, the 90 degree drop with the 270 degree spin is crazy. I may not have gotten the front seat, but I got to ride it twice back to back, when 99% of the other people at the park today only watched a few test runs from a safe distance from the station.

I was praying I'd get to ride the KK as I knew they'd open it for the season pass holders on friday and I got that wish, I may have only gotten on 4 rides all day long, and got decently wet even under the cover waiting for Nitro, and lost my cell phone(which by the way was working wherever it was until the rains came, so i didn't bother alearting the staff about it since I knew it was toast) but that Kingda Ka made it all worth it. Especially since I got 2 rides back to back with a 45 min wait when tomorrow people will be getting 1 ride with a 4 hour + wait.

Return to Theme Park Trip Reports