Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! SKYPLEX + World's Tallest Coaster Announced for Orlando!

SKYPLEX + World's Tallest Coaster Announced for Orlando!

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points
After much speculation that the world's tallest roller coaster, and the first Polercoaster from US Thrill Rides, would open in the Orlando area today the plans have become official.

A part of SKYPLEX, The Skyscraper will take riders up to a world record 570 feet above the ground. SKYPLEX is a planned $200 million entertainment complex that will span 12 acres along International Drive, and feature 495,000 square feet of food, beverage, entertainment and retail space.

The Skyscraper roller coaster will wrap around the SKYPLEX observation deck and feature "inside and outside loops, dives, spirals, and inversions like the world has never seen." Starting above the 535 foot observation level, the coaster will makes its way down after the spiral lift and eventually skim along the top of the retail buildings.
US Thrill Rides has partnered with S&S to create the roller coaster aspect of the attraction, which makes sense considering the company's existing El Loco style ride.

The developers behind SKYPLEX are currently building Mango's Tropical Cafe in Orlando, located near the site. That will open in 2015 - the same year that SKYPLEX is planned to start construction, leading to a 2016 opening.

You can read more about the project on the official SKYPLEX website.

Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,537.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

There is now an animated rendition of this. It looks amazing: http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog ... ml?ana=twt
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Points on hand: 204.00 Points
Bank: 3,034.00 Points

Points on hand: 6,337.00 Points
There will probably be a full-stop brake before each of the vertical drops, at the very least. With those 2-row trains a block brake doesn't need to be more than 15ft long or so.

Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

this thing might be riddled with brakes but I don't care. Inversions and beyond vertical drops at that height would be FREAKING AWESOME!
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

TylerE wrote:
There will probably be a full-stop brake before each of the vertical drops, at the very least. With those 2-row trains a block brake doesn't need to be more than 15ft long or so.

Obvious dude is obvious

So what that's like five blocks? that's 40 people. It's going to be an amazing ride with lines longer than Gringotts at Christmas all the time. And it's station is inside that mall, so it can only have so much space to begin with to queue

Points on hand: 3,978.00 Points
Not for the feint of heart, that's for sure. Anticipating that first out-banked turn might create a run on Depends before getting on.

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points
Is this animated rendering the official layout? An outside banked turn at 500ft n the air is crazy but not in a bad way
What are these for?

TheArchitect User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 501,147.00 Points
Bank: 498,048.00 Points
I actually like the layout, it will be a hell of an experience that I'm going to have to do before I die. I feel that it could've done with a big drop somewhere in that layout, even if it then came back up and did some more half height stuff. But looks really good. S&S had to squeeze an outside turn somewhere or another, and that is about as epic as it gets.

Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
This isn't S&S right? I thought it was USAmusments.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

No it's not S&S. It's what S&S should be doing with El Locos XD I know they are mad...

TheArchitect User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 501,147.00 Points
Bank: 498,048.00 Points
As far as I knew, US Thrill Rides have partnered with S&S to create the ride. S&S pioneered the whole "polercoaster" thing. See here.

Points on hand: 35.00 Points
Bank: 4,336.00 Points

Points on hand: 143.00 Points
Bank: 3,000.00 Points
Paradox wrote:
This isn't S&S right? I thought it was USAmusments.

I believe that US Thrill Rides has S&S do the coaster part while they take care of the observation tower and such. The coaster is effectively an evolution of the El Loco concept. That said I seem to recall Alan Schilke being mentioned as designing the layout for this, which seems perfectly true seeing this utterly brilliant if slightly messed up layout.

I think that this just won coaster finale of the decade for that drop into double-up-double-down into the mini tophat and zero-g into the brakes.
RIP
Log Jammer, SFMM
1971-2011
Originally posted by richie5126
T: all newtons on this site are smooth so this must be high.

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points

Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
Great to see the news finally getting into public and finally a glimpse of the full layout. This looks like good fun. El Loco XXXXL is on it's way. :)
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
WOW, WOW, this is so awesome I've just come up with good words to describe! In a word, beyond our imagination! If I say more, props to all those who pre-designed this attraction for this promo! This is so acrobatic that every transition seems way quicker than that of a twisted coaster! I can't stop watching it today! My feeling gauge: :D :D :D :D :D of 5 smileys (stars)!
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Points on hand: 4,800.70 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

This thing looks freaking insane and is not for the feint of heart. I mean, outside banked turn at 500+ feet? That's one hell of an experience by itself. Im just a little butthurt that our Kingda Ka will no longer be the tallest :D
It's been a long time
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCErEzTkqrD55UEiIiiKsKmg

Points on hand: 9,972.00 Points
Like everyone's said, that outside-banked turn at the beginning is going to be insane. Looks really cool!
mkingy wrote:
Yoda was famously quoted as saying:

Yoda wrote:
Free the Orcas, you must
Sith will prevail, otherwise

Fluorometholone

Points on hand: 15,383.90 Points

Mr. Freeze User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 32.00 Points
Bank: 4,860.00 Points

TheArchitect wrote:
As far as I knew, US Thrill Rides have partnered with S&S to create the ride. S&S pioneered the whole "polercoaster" thing. See here.

Ah so it is an El Loco Tower! I remember that article too! I wrote it off then as industry dreams that probably wouldn't happen lol.

Hi Hypersonic XLC! o/ I miss you!

Edit: Did you see the capacity for the towers? 960pph X_______X

Points on hand: 5,716.00 Points
Bank: 2,500.00 Points
that thing looks insane. I would sure hesitate getting on that one, not only that out-banked turn but followed by a slow inline roll, and a 110?????? drop. WTF!
Plantoris

mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,053.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
Yeah actually would have to convince myself with this! Wonder how much they're gonna charge for this though to make the money back. $20? any ideas?
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Next

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!