Board index Roller Coaster Games Scream Machines sm2

sm2

Discuss anything related to Scream Machines!

sm2

Post May 1st, 2006, 4:37 pm

Points on hand: 88.00 Points
I was over at sm site reading some of the fourms.I did not see any thing new on sm2. Do you think there still working on it.It would be nice to get a update on it.

Post May 1st, 2006, 4:43 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,602.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

It is still being worked on, progress is a tad slow but there's is progress. looks real good [:)]
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post May 1st, 2006, 4:47 pm

Points on hand: 88.00 Points

Post May 1st, 2006, 5:49 pm

Points on hand: 2,690.00 Points
I pretty sure I'm still working on it [:)] There's still alot of work to do though. wws has seen recent pics of the progress.

Post May 1st, 2006, 6:49 pm

Points on hand: 3,415.00 Points

Post May 1st, 2006, 7:27 pm

Points on hand: 72.00 Points
Bank: 12,611.00 Points
It comes free with SM1 if you got it, which IMO is a steal (especially if you got SM1 on the long ago $15 holiday sale), and then there will be some announced cutoff date where SM2 will no longer come with SM1. At least that's what I've got based on the all the stuff I read posted a while ago. The last shots I ever saw were of the terrain editor (with some new water effects, a bit like NL 1.6's, but different coloring, and the terrain texture system was a lot better.) There haven't been any updates on the site for a while, but just wait, we may see something.

Post May 1st, 2006, 8:25 pm

WOW is that a deal or what?! I also hear that SM2 will have peeps?

Post May 1st, 2006, 8:32 pm

Points on hand: 4,906.00 Points

who knows... we can only wait and see[;)]

and no thats not even half of what'll be in it as far as I can tell.

Post May 1st, 2006, 9:16 pm
Brtnboarder495 Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,362.00 Points
SM could have so much potential and definitely give NL a run for it's money if they had a more professional, easy-to-use, and math-centered editor IMO.

Post May 1st, 2006, 10:23 pm

Points on hand: 2,289.00 Points

Post May 1st, 2006, 10:30 pm

Yeah, if math was involved, then you could create elments like heartline rolls in the click of a button! Heartlining by hand, creating smooth corkcrews, and creating helices without a single pump are all damn near impossible in SM. I suggested to Brian that he should have a tool to create perfect circle helices. If you look at an overhead view of a coaster like Titan at SFOT, you will see that it's helix is a perfect circle. Having that is a way to ensure that there is no pumping. All a circle is, is the set of all points of equal distance from a certain midpoint. This guarantees that there is no sudden change in the radius of the curve, and keeping a steady or gradual radius is what eliminates pumps.
So maybe there could be like a compass type of tool or something where you select a midpoint, select a radius, and it creates a perfect circle of track.

Post May 1st, 2006, 10:48 pm

Points on hand: 2,289.00 Points

Originally posted by Bowserjoe

Yeah, if math was involved, then you could create elments like heartline rolls in the click of a button! Heartlining by hand, creating smooth corkcrews, and creating helices without a single pump are all damn near impossible in SM. I suggested to Brian that he should have a tool to create perfect circle helices. If you look at an overhead view of a coaster like Titan at SFOT, you will see that it's helix is a perfect circle. Having that is a way to ensure that there is no pumping. All a circle is, is the set of all points of equal distance from a certain midpoint. This guarantees that there is no sudden change in the radius of the curve, and keeping a steady or gradual radius is what eliminates pumps.
So maybe there could be like a compass type of tool or something where you select a midpoint, select a radius, and it creates a perfect circle of track.

whats the point of having a tool that makes a perfect circle? the sucks out all the fun of making rollercoasters.... well thats what i think....

Post May 2nd, 2006, 12:33 am

Peeps aren't planned. The last thing I want to do is require that users need to know math in order to make smooth rides. That being said, there will most likely be a way to generate elements using math or other methods. Coasteragent - you have it backwards.. NL1.6's water looks somewhat SM2's, although the current water looks better than the pics I posted [:)]

Right now I'm working on the supports system. I tossed SM1's system because it was impossible to add the new features and editing options I wanted.

Post May 2nd, 2006, 12:47 am
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,602.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

what he said. sm's 2 progress is the shizzle, sadly I am barred from posting pics or giving info. it is out of this planet [:)]
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post May 2nd, 2006, 12:53 am

Points on hand: 3,780.00 Points
For those of you who didn't realize how close WWS is to the SM2 process and SM in general, that's why he has the Wounded Heart link at the bottom of the page.

Post May 2nd, 2006, 5:48 am

Points on hand: 3,285.00 Points

Scream Machines 1 has some real issues, so I hope you fix them. I sure you already know them all then I'll probably buy it.

Post May 2nd, 2006, 3:16 pm

Originally posted by Matt

Scream Machines 1 has some real issues, so I hope you fix them. I sure you already know them all then I'll probably buy it.

SM 2 is being rebuilt from the ground up, SM 1 is really just too outdated to be worth working on any further. (not just the glitches, the engine and stuff is pretty old and it doesn't even support stereo sound) It would probably be better to just get SM 1 and wait for SM 2.

Post May 2nd, 2006, 4:00 pm

Originally posted by coasteragent99
SM 2 is being rebuilt from the ground up, SM 1 is really just too outdated to be worth working on any further. (not just the glitches, the engine and stuff is pretty old and it doesn't even support stereo sound) It would probably be better to just get SM 1 and wait for SM 2.

Actually, SM1 supports not only stereo sound (only for certain things that make sense), but 3D sound as well. But I agree with the rest [:)]

Post May 2nd, 2006, 4:14 pm

Originally posted by DragonsIOA

Originally posted by coasteragent99

Actually, SM1 supports not only stereo sound (only for certain things that make sense), but 3D sound as well. But I agree with the rest [:)]

Then something must be wrong. I reorientated the camera so the coaster trains was to the left of the display and were on a lift, and the lift sounds were still coming clearly to both speakers, even after moving fairly far away. The ones I'm using right now are crap and don't support stereo (since my bro stole my good speakers with a small subwoofer and took them to a retreat for his alarm clock or something) but I remember when I was wandering around and noticed that before he took my speakers. Maybe it's a setting I overlooked.

Post May 2nd, 2006, 5:31 pm

Points on hand: 4,906.00 Points

Originally posted by Brtnboarder495

SM could have so much potential and definitely give NL a run for it's money if they had a more professional, easy-to-use, and math-centered editor IMO.

What kind of editor isn't math-centered? Any kind of roller coaster editor is professional if it isn't RCT[:p]

I know what you're sayin though. If it had more powerful editing tools and felt a little more natural, it'd definately give NL a run for its money. However, both editors could use a bit more to em than just the bezier system and whatever tools they have now. Editor updates and new tools are bound to come for both programs in the 2.0 releases.

Post May 2nd, 2006, 6:56 pm

It is entirely possible that it's a bug or something (the sound). All of the systems I have access to have a minimum of 4 speakers w/ sub.

SM2 can use other methods besides bezier curves. I must admit that I'm puzzled when people say that SM1's editor isn't as powerful as NL's. Not counting the 3rd party tools, the only thing I can think of that NL has that SM1 doesn't is the seperate load/unload stations. Conversely, SM1 has quite a few features that no other sim has.

Post May 2nd, 2006, 7:21 pm

Points on hand: 5,058.00 Points
I find that SM's editor is MUCHHH simpler to use, and can still result in technically fabulous tracks. What is lacks are some of the popular tools NL has like AHG and elementary. Yet still, making your own elements is an adventure. For example, fabricating a perfect corkscrew still hasn't een done, and I'm working on a Zero G Roll and finding it impossible to get perfect.

Post May 2nd, 2006, 7:55 pm

I personally have trouble smoothing in SM, probably because I can't set snap to anything lower than 1. But the 3D editing is pretty good, way better than NL's.

Post May 2nd, 2006, 8:31 pm

I still think peeps would be cool. I would love to see how they react to some of my crazy rides! :lol:

Post May 2nd, 2006, 8:49 pm

Originally posted by Hyper_Goliath

I find that SM's editor is MUCHHH simpler to use, and can still result in technically fabulous tracks. What is lacks are some of the popular tools NL has like AHG and elementary. Yet still, making your own elements is an adventure. For example, fabricating a perfect corkscrew still hasn't een done, and I'm working on a Zero G Roll and finding it impossible to get perfect.

Yeah, some things like corks and zero-g rolls are very hard to do without external help. The reason for this is the limitations of bezier curves. You can come close by using a bunch of small curve segments, but it still isn't perfect. There are very good reasons that real companies use equation-based design software instead of bezier-based [:)]

Next

Return to Scream Machines