Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! So yeah... Cedar Point 2015

So yeah... Cedar Point 2015

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post August 26th, 2014, 2:12 am

Points on hand: 204.00 Points
Bank: 3,034.00 Points
Anyone else realize the only ride they have that goes upside down is an enterprise from the 70s?

Totally off topic but throwing that out there. Really though I hope to coaster Jesus they get a flipping Dive coaster! Probably going to get a BM giga -_-. Also every time I've gone this month workers are walking the Gemini. How hilarious if they Iron Horse it! Lately that first drop feels like riding a shopping cart down concrete stairs. I don't think I'd be upset if they did.

Post August 26th, 2014, 2:23 am

Points on hand: 6,539.00 Points
What are you even on? Lol. Cedar Point's peninsula plays host to 21 inversions, are we talking flat rides?

As for 2015, a new coaster seems unlikely unless it's in the vein of Wonder Mountain's Guardian at Canada's Wonderland. I secretly wish Gatekeeper were an ENORMOUS dive coaster...

Post August 26th, 2014, 2:58 am

I thought that was obvious when I said rides not coasters and upside down instead of inversions... We're coaster fans you know better!

I like Gatekeeper, at first I wished it was more intense but then it would just be another Raptor. It took a while to grow on me but I think they made the right choice there. And the new entrance is soooo epic! Also a dive would fit better along that boring frontier walkway past MF. There's literally nothing between MF and Thunder canyon to ride, they can easily fit one in that space and have it wind through the force. It would also fit in with a repainting of Mantis if they choose to connect that dead end area with the rest of the park. I think that would help boost ridership even if they don't repurpose Mantis as a floorless (please don't CP. bad move). Speaking of which, I doubt they would do that with Raptor and just adding Gatekeeper. I think they'll keep that novelty. Cedar Point already stated that they are building for thrill seekers next year so I doubt it will be a Gaurdian style ride, plus they don't really have a tie-in for it and haven't really been interested in multimedia high tech attractions in the past.

Post August 26th, 2014, 3:48 am

LOL fair enough!

I like Gatekeeper too, it is definitely more forceful in the back and I like the variety of rolls it offers. The location on the beach is ideal and its color scheme playing beautifully against the water and sky make it about the prettiest coaster around. You're right in that Cedar Point should have diversity in its collection, not all rides have to bring face melting intensity.

I actually kind of like strolling through the Frontier walkway as it's a change of pace from the rest of the park, but you're right - it is bereft of rides. I think a dive coaster that built upon the layouts we've already seen and took back the record for highest inversion would be a great fit. Why would you be against Mantis going floorless? I really don't think the heartline thing would be an issue but I do think CP may have to request at least a slight revision of the existing floorless trains to make it work well. I really don't care for stand-up coasters in general...it's not the 90s anymore and there's no novelty or benefit to ride experience whatsoever - there's just added testicle and leg pain.

Post August 26th, 2014, 8:09 am

I'd be against Mantis going floorless because they already have two better coasters offering a floorless experience. Not to mention if they do get a dive, Mantis would be the fourth coaster in the park with that style seating and wouldn't really add anything that the others would have covered much better. Also there isn't much room to lower the the heartline line of floorless cars on the Mantis course given how tight the figure-eight is without grinding ankles to dust over the cross ties as well as possible clearance issues along the sides. I have absolutely no stats to base this on but I think floorless trains are a good deal wider than standup trains. at least they seem to be.

The other thing for me is that I really do like stand-up coasters and mantis is my favorite! I'd hate to see it lose its originality in the park to be another Gatekeeper/Raptor/hopeful dive experience. It is certainly more popular than other coasters in the park that could be updated or replaced if it comes to that. And I feel it doesn't get the exposure and traffic flow it deserves tucked away on the bad side of the tracks in that back alley by itself like that. Adding another coaster starting point back there on Tyrannosaur Island and building a pathway to connect that area into frontierland from Mantis would create more than enough room to add a whole new generic minimal themed midway to the park and boost ridership without having to make such drastic changes to Mantis.

The other thing is, and this is really the big thing for me... It's still too soon! My wounds have have not yet healed from losing Geagua Lake and Dominator to have Mantis converted to a floorless! Especially when they need to get their coaster count back on top and can just build a floorless in addition! They already lost two coasters for one in a year, they don't need to cut corners, they need to replace and get our crown back

Post August 26th, 2014, 8:47 am

I would be 100% behind you if I found Mantis rideable in its current state. Sit down trains would work too. Also wouldn't the heartline need to come up, not down? That is if it really has that much impact at all because stand up coasters already have to be designed to accommodate varying rider heights.

Post August 26th, 2014, 9:31 am

Yeah... If they are looking to repaint it like they did on that one swath, I would hope they rehab the trains and rest of the track as well. They did an amazing job taming Mean Streak without having to Iron Horse it (thumbs up CP) I think they can calm Mantis too. If they do have to take the standing trains out I'd rather have sitdown trains than floorless. And I say they would need to lower it because floorless trains already sit really high on the track and that S snap into the MCBR is already pretty strong. You raise that higher and you are going to really slam riders into OSTR's hard and with floorless trains there is nothing you can do to brace yourself. People think it's neck-breaking already, try raising that another foot X_____X

Post August 26th, 2014, 9:35 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points
Damn, lots of talk going on in 1 day. Keep it up.
I still think Mantis is going to be the center of attention next year.
But Tony just tweeted, 'Here, you should ride this" with a link to a Mean Streak POV, so I don't know really :P

Post August 26th, 2014, 10:04 am

If they iron Horse it I'm done with Cedar Fair lol. Hopefully he's saying "We made it smoother I swear!" Because it is soooo much better this year than it was even on opening day lol. i just... don't want that one iron Horsed. Especially after how much work they put into getting it to run so good this season. Why go through all that retracking if they are going to tear it out or IH it

They have needed another wooden coaster for the last forever. Don't take out one of the two we already have!

Post August 26th, 2014, 10:26 am

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
If they RMC Mean Streak...... you're done..... with Cedar Fair.

Are you serious?

Post August 26th, 2014, 10:32 am

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points
I would pay them every dollar I have to my name to have RMC redo Mean Steak. You're SO wrong.

Post August 26th, 2014, 11:01 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Yea, Mean Streak is better, but my friends and I use it as a coaster to see who can get the biggest headache :P
Yea, RMC needs to happen, now.

Post August 26th, 2014, 3:36 pm

yes. im done, Cedar Fair doesn't need to do everything that Six Flags does. Every roller coaster does need to be ruined just because it doesn't go upside-down. Mean Streak is now one of a kind. I rather have history over a fad. We lost too many classics as it is. Let's RMC Coney Island's Cyclone too while we're at it! There are so many coasters that are less entertaining and rough than Mean Streak was at it's worst, Gemini included now. RMC-ing these rides is a total cop-out instead of putting in the work to restore them. It's just a lazy fad patch. It was cool for the Texas Giant when it was new and innovative, but now its not and we are just losing classic after classic. I'd rather not see another record breaker fall to lazy modernization because they don't want to be bothered keeping up with it. Besides, The New Texas Giant, Iron Rattler and even Iron Cyclone are are filling niches that Cedar Point already has covered with Millenium Force and Maverick. What they need is another tried and true wooden coaster and not to lose one of the two that they already have.

Mean Streak is an awesome coaster that they have neglected because Cedar Point and Cedar Fair for some reason doesn't have time to take care of their coasters properly and instead, they trim and nerf them and take away from them so they have to deal with them less. They need to stop this trend and pick up the ball

Post August 26th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Points on hand: 35.00 Points
Bank: 4,336.00 Points
As much as I hate the RMC conversions, Mean Diarrhea streak needs it.

Post August 26th, 2014, 5:08 pm

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points
^^ While I agree that the RMC thing is becoming a bit too much, I remember my ride on Hercules being rough and unbearable. From what I've read Mean Streak is worse and Texas Giant was just as bad. Theres obviously a reason only half the rides Dinn built are still standing. Mean Streak would work great for RMC, but thats about it. A new RMC in other parks would be awesome though, Dorney certainly needs a new coaster, its been teased the next "new" one will be a wooden coaster for years now....
What are these for?

Post August 26th, 2014, 6:12 pm

Cedar Point is 20 minutes from me, and I can verify that they did a LOT of rehab work on Mean Streak the past few years and it went from the bottom of my list back to the top five in the park for me. Very similar and slightly larger than the Texas Giant I don't want to lose it to get almost the same experience I would get in Texas. It's better than ever now and as soon as people realize it and quit piggy backing on the complaints of people that haven't ridden it for years it would get the recognition it deserves. A few years ago it had a small fire and I was mad they didn't let it burn to the ground, collect insurance and build something better. Riding it this year I want to slap my old self in the face haha. MEAN STREAK DOES NOT NEED TO BE RMC'ED. Gemini on the other hand sucks this year. Like really really bad o.o. It really hurts! But either way more than I'd like to see any coaster changed, even the painful horrible ones, they need to fix what they have and get their crown back and to add something entirely new for the next few major additions.

Hercules was another example of what happened to Mean Streak. It was awesome when it opened and a nightmare when it closed. But it was definitely one of a kind and there won't be another like it. They Should have just retracked it in my opinion! What if we did that to every old coaster that needs some intense love? We'd lose what little history we have left. Why did Rolling Thunder have to go? Why redo Colossus when there was more than enough room to build a fresh RMC? And not impressed by Goliath at SFGAM by the way. If it was steel it wouldn't be anything special and it's really not now just because it's wooden. Outlaw Run was amazing, it added innovation in the spirit of wooden design. Goliath is just a generic steel coaster made of wood =\ If RMC becomes a frequent major player I really hope that style of design doesn't become the trend. I would love to see CP get an Outlaw Run styled twister WITHOUT inversions, wooden coasters never needed them to be thrilling before and they don't need to flood every park with that gimmick now.

edit:

How I'd rate Cedar Points coasters in terms of roughness this year from smoothest to worst

Gatekeeper
Wicked Twister
Woodstock Express
Millenium Force
Top Thrill Dragster
Maverick
Jr. Gemini (don't judge me)
Raptor
MEAN STREAK
Mantis
Magnum XL-200
Iron Dragon
Cedar Creek Mine Ride
Gemini (used to be much, much better! What happened!)
Corkscrew
Blue Streak

Post August 26th, 2014, 9:01 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Mantis and Raptor are the only rides in that park that make me grey out, and quite frankly Mantis in the back with no trim brake on the drop is extremely intense. The ride bounces all over the place and is ripping itself apart for a reason, just saying.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post August 26th, 2014, 9:56 pm

Points on hand: 680.00 Points
Bank: 1,513.00 Points
I thought Mantis was pretty good, especially the last turns, it felt intense (I was riding the outside seat).
When I rode Mean Streak, I just thought "Wow, this SUCKED!" When you see such a massive wooden coaster, you think wow! That looks great! but it was just a disappointing coaster.
If I knew the coaster was bad from the start, then I would of still enjoyed it. I don't think they should RMC it! They just need to make it run faster and smoother, to make it more intense. But as far as I'm concerned, it is a bad wooden coaster.

Colossus at SFMM is old, bumpy, and has not aged well. But because the coaster is alot of hills, you don't really notice the age. You get off thinking its a great wood coaster.
But Mean Streak has to be in prime condition to be a good coaster. When its not in prime condition the coaster suffers WAY more than a coaster with hills. You notice the difference.

Post August 26th, 2014, 11:29 pm

Post August 26th, 2014, 11:47 pm

Points on hand: 680.00 Points
Bank: 1,513.00 Points

Post August 27th, 2014, 12:13 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

I noticed that last summer and this summer it has been running the best ever since its opening.

Post August 27th, 2014, 12:35 am

Last summer was much better than previous years. But this year is night and day! The new supports, some of them even consisting of steel can clearly be seen following the second turn after the drop heading to the station and it no longer crawls even with the trims on. It's really a top notch ride this year even though you can definitely tell how far they have gotten in refurbishment. That being the bottom of the drop before the rise over the lift hill

Post August 28th, 2014, 10:11 am

Currently at cedar point if anyone wants pics of something

Post August 28th, 2014, 10:34 am

Points on hand: 35.00 Points
Bank: 4,336.00 Points
LuckyK wrote:
Currently at cedar point if anyone wants pics of something

Gatekeeper photos! Close up of the trains if you can. :D

Post August 28th, 2014, 11:16 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Next

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!