Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Son of beast to be removed

Son of beast to be removed

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post July 28th, 2012, 4:46 pm
yoshifreak Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 241.00 Points
^I disagree. Having been on it with the loop, I'd say that was the only decent part. The rest of the ride was brutally painful. It got a bad rep because of the safety incidents + its roughness.

Post July 28th, 2012, 10:50 pm

Points on hand: 1,601.00 Points
Truth. The safety incidents certainly made people weary to ride it, plus they probably just amplified the claims of how rough it was.

Post July 29th, 2012, 7:32 pm

Points on hand: 3,999.00 Points
I think Son of Beast passed the limits of what a wooden structure is able to handle. You'll never see another wood coaster as high as Son of Beast.
Trackwalker

Post July 29th, 2012, 9:32 pm
thrillsentertainment Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Points on hand: 1,028.00 Points

Post July 29th, 2012, 10:15 pm

Points on hand: 399.00 Points

Post July 29th, 2012, 11:34 pm
A.S.C. User avatar
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Points on hand: 59.00 Points
Bank: 1,276.00 Points
The problem was the loop, with the heavier trains made to clear the loop it was too much for the wood. The lighter trains etc. were fine, it was just really rough because it wasn't upkept well.

Post July 30th, 2012, 9:23 am

In the "OLD DAYS" wooden tracks were made with rough cut lumber, that is, the boards were not sent through a planer and reduced to 1 5/8 inches thick. Track boards were used just as they were cut from the log, (2) two inches thick. So the old tracks, being thicker, were much stronger than today's tracks. Son of Beast's track was only eight layers of planed lumber which was not enough to produce a smooth ride. And as the wood ages and gets more use, it becomes weaker, creating an even more bumpy ride. That bumpiness sends shock waves through the structure which eventually weakens the supporting structure. And finally you have a structure which needs to be replaced. A structure that sways back and forth will eventually break bolts and nails holding it together. It's that simple. I've heard it said that if the structure doesn't move, it will break. Nonsense! Show me a structure and track that doesn't move and I'll show you a smooth riding coaster. The Shooting Star at "Old" Coney Island in Cincinnati, Ohio was such a coaster.
Trackwalker

Post July 30th, 2012, 9:52 am

Points on hand: 5,394.00 Points
Bank: 1,660.00 Points
[quote]Originally posted by Trackwalker

I've heard it said that if the structure doesn't move, it will break. Nonsense! Show me a structure and track that doesn't move and I'll show you a smooth riding coaster.

Ooh boy...
Oh, were you expecting something here?

Post July 30th, 2012, 1:25 pm
A.S.C. User avatar
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Points on hand: 59.00 Points
Bank: 1,276.00 Points

Post July 30th, 2012, 5:53 pm

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points
even sky scrappers account for wind movement and allow for for a slight sway
What are these for?

Post July 30th, 2012, 8:41 pm

Points on hand: 6,539.00 Points
Rides need to be engineered capable of movement in both wood and steel structures...else they'd fracture under the stress of the train passing through the track at high speed (not to be captain obvious, clearly most are aware). I've always found this video of Diamondback to be a striking demonstration of this:

Watch @ 2:30 for track sway, HD looks great.

Post July 31st, 2012, 1:18 am

Points on hand: 2,978.00 Points

Post July 31st, 2012, 7:28 am

Points on hand: 92.00 Points
Bank: 1,341.05 Points
That's actually really cool to see how the track can hold up to around 12-18 inches of sway every few minutes or so.

Post August 1st, 2012, 1:13 am

I think they are going to add another support to take out that sway in Diamondback. Sure, things are going to bend and sway a little but things finally reach a point where there is too much bend or sway and that's when they have to be corrected.
Trackwalker

Post August 1st, 2012, 1:17 am

Points on hand: 85.00 Points
Bank: 2,503.00 Points
Where would the new support go? It's already fairly crowded compared to other B&M drops.

Post August 1st, 2012, 7:38 am

Edit: All I'm saying is a little flexing is not bad at all. It's when it gets to the point where it starts ripping out bolts is when something has to be done about it.
Trackwalker

Post August 1st, 2012, 3:49 pm

Points on hand: 1,601.00 Points
Originally posted by Trackwalker

I think they are going to add another support to take out that sway in Diamondback. Sure, things are going to bend and sway a little but things finally reach a point where there is too much bend or sway and that's when they have to be corrected.

Have you ever watched Top Thrill Dragster? The pullouts literally shake up to 3 feet back and forth. And guess what? It was designed to do that! Every roller coaster that you will ever come across bends a bit. Obviously, the lower to the ground the track is and the denser the supports are, the less it will bend, but roller coasters, like every other well-engineered structure on earth, are designed to sway, bend, and wobble with the forces acting on it. It's just a fact of engineering. And I can guarantee you that any rides that appeared not to move at all appeared as such because you weren't looking close enough or in the right way. They move. The Beast sways, DB sways, Flight Deck sways, Invertigo sways, Vortex sways, The Racer sways, Drop Zone sways, The Eiffel Tower sways. Hell, even that donut shop at the front of the park sways just a teensy bit.

I challenge you to show me an entirely rigid ride, with video.

Post August 1st, 2012, 4:14 pm
yoshifreak Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 241.00 Points

Post August 1st, 2012, 4:23 pm

I'm aware that all those rides you mentioned shake and sway a little boneplaya. I'm not an engineer but I'm sure the engineers designed the rides strong enough so they can withstand a little sway and shake. I'm just saying it should be minimized if possible either by extra supports or a stronger wood or steel track. When I worked on the Space Rocket at LeSourdsville, a.k.a. Screechin' Eagle at Americana, we had a track with eight layers of wood: six 2x6's and two 2x8's. We got tired of trying to maintain such a weak track so when we replaced the track going through the first dip we installed six 2x8's and two 2x10's. That took out 90% of the shake, rattle and roll and produced a smooth ride which required less maintenance dollars.
Trackwalker

Post August 1st, 2012, 5:05 pm

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points
I'm being bad for continuing the off-topic discussion, but I saw something interesting the other day.

I was at Cedar Point and everyone knows the towers of Intamin Impulse coasters sway when the trains traverse it, but on my last trip, I noticed for the first time that the whole structure actually moves. The entire giant triangular support structure supporting each tower sways left to right on an axis perpendicular to the track. Thought it was pretty cool.

Previous

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!