Board index Public Relations Feedback And Suggestions Standardize the Rating System?

Standardize the Rating System?

This forum is now open since we're at that point for lively discussion so go ahead, post and discuss, it will be closely monitored by Oscar and Mike

Post December 1st, 2013, 11:57 am

Points on hand: 79.00 Points
Mini-rant:

It's a bit more common recently, but since when did it start being ok to give 8.xx and 9.xx ratings out like candy on Halloween? Those are really high ratings that would place the track up near the most famous coasters on the exchange. If the coaster isn't that special, don't rate it like it is the greatest thing you've ever seen.

I'm not saying the ratings are bad, because most of them describe the creation accurately. But make the numbers match the words. This is a bit of an exaggerated example, but a comment like: "No problems, on a whole. Lots of pumps in the turns, and I died once from hitting my head on a prefab support." does not deserve a technical rating of 8.5.

So here's my idea for making the ratings a bit less varied from person to person. (because I have seen this on the low end, too)

Treat it like grading a college exam in engineering. This isn't you're grade-boosting microeconomics course that- as long as you show up and try you'll get a B. Call it what it is. A C (6.0-7.0) is average. A decent coaster will get that. But it takes something a little more impressive to get a lot more. Is the scenery is immaculate? Bring up the grade a bit. Maybe the supports are flawless... you get the point.

With the increasingly common usage of tools like Newton, the coasters will always be smooth. Unless it's a hand-made track that feels like this, don't rate like it is the only smooth coaster you've ever seen.

Make the technical rating more about how you used the program. Is the track all wibbly-wobbly, never quite banking to zero, or do hills have random radius changes? Things like this show that the program is controlling the track shape, not the creator. Tools are a way to make building easier, but they still require a bit of finesse. The same way that having an SLT doesn't make you a photographer, having newton doesn't make you the greatest NoLimits coaster designer to ever walk the earth.

The adrenaline rating can be kept pretty much the same as it is now, because excitement is a subjective matter. Still, think twice before rating it above 8.5, because it better be something special.

Originality/Accuracy should also be self-explanatory. Is the coaster pretty much the same as all of the other thousands of tracks uploaded to the exchange? Was that was their point? How did they present their creation? Was the picture they used to promote their coaster the reason you downloaded it? Maybe it was the words they used in the description.

All I'm saying is gain a bit of objectivity. I know it's a bit petty of me to rant about such things, but if all the tracks start getting 8 and above, the ones that truly deserve it will get lost.
Last edited by Pockets on December 1st, 2013, 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I used to be in a barbershop quartet in Skokie, Illinois...

Post December 1st, 2013, 1:07 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
While that would be a better rating system, it's just hard to implement and impossible to enforce. It remains a rating system, not a scoring system.

Post December 1st, 2013, 1:28 pm

Points on hand: 15,383.90 Points
I have a feeling this is likely to get worse when No Limits 2 comes out. Since creating smooth, heartlined tracks will allegedly be easier, many of the less strict raters will be handing out 8's, 9's, and 10's to any track with a reasonably well executed layout, while the more experienced raters will be pointing out the tiniest flaws. I wonder if smoothness should even be considered anymore when people start uploading NL2 tracks.

Post December 1st, 2013, 2:12 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,527.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

I like your train of thought, but sadly, ratings are opinions and its very difficult to get everyone to think the same. I know I wouldn't give 8.5 for something that hit me in the head but others take it for what it is, a game, and rate it as such [:p] Reporting such ratings though can help in us addressing the problem.
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post December 1st, 2013, 2:38 pm
SauronHimself User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 1,641.00 Points
I wonder if combining the Adrenaline and Originality sections would help. I've found that the layout and scenery can often improve a ride's adrenaline factor.

Post December 1st, 2013, 3:17 pm
Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

As much as I agree with you and I've been thinking the same the past few days, People are still entitled to opinions, and as said above we can't enforce a rating system like that unfortunately.
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post December 1st, 2013, 5:42 pm
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Points on hand: 6,049.50 Points

I am open to a new rating system, but the only way to really address the concern you have brought up is to go to a structured rating system. Meaning the points value will be assigned based on your response to different types of questions posed by the ratings system.

This means that instead of three drop drowns and a text field there would be several choice responses to select from in each category. I suspect that this would cause people to not rate since people are lazy..

Post December 1st, 2013, 6:46 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,798.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Originally posted by Mikey

This means that instead of three drop drowns and a text field there would be several choice responses to select from in each category. I suspect that this would cause people to not rate since people are lazy..

I think rides would get many more ratings if the rating system was like this. Along with a "comments" section, so you could explain your ratings further if you felt you needed to. I know, for my own mind, I would definitely leave more ratings if it was a case of clicking and picking from drop down menus... as lazy as that sounds.

As long as the drop down options were thorough and well thought out, this could be a good idea to move forwards with.

Post December 1st, 2013, 7:49 pm

Points on hand: 79.00 Points
Maybe a kindly worded PSA would do the trick? Or a modified "how to rate" tutorial.
I used to be in a barbershop quartet in Skokie, Illinois...

Post December 1st, 2013, 10:48 pm

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

I wasn't aware people rated anymore.

#1 reason why I don't build or finish anything now.

Post December 2nd, 2013, 12:07 am
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

People want ratings yet those wanting them don't rate. Its a tough system to keep going if people don't put in their part.
Paradox wrote:

Post December 2nd, 2013, 6:29 am
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,053.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
I think that sometimes its new users who overrate - and this can be because they have not necessarily ridden some of the better rides - so therefore are skewed.

However with a rating system for lazy people we might get enough decent rates to balance out those overrates better.
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post January 7th, 2014, 8:16 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

The new rating system will still be drop downs but the categories are more objective. Though as mentioned, no matter how objective the categories are, people will remain subjective to the objectives so there's no getting around that without brainwashing them. So its a difficult task to accomplish but I hope with the changes I bringing forth to the rating system and the different rating categories for the different types of coasters uploaded, it should make for a better outcome on the ratings. Also with the better rating reporting system, it will be much easier to report and us take care of potato ratings.
Paradox wrote:

Post January 7th, 2014, 8:21 pm

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points
Originally posted by Jakizle

I wasn't aware people rated anymore.

#1 reason why I don't build or finish anything now.

You are building for the wrong reason then..

Post January 7th, 2014, 8:22 pm

Points on hand: 483.00 Points
Bank: 19,590.00 Points
How about rating a funhouse with the walkmode for NL2?

Post January 7th, 2014, 8:26 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Originally posted by cool5

How about rating a funhouse with the walkmode for NL2?

cool5...
Paradox wrote:

Return to Feedback And Suggestions