Board index Roller Coaster Games NoLimits Coaster 2 NoLimits Coaster 2 Scripting Strata-coaster scripts

Strata-coaster scripts

Post your Nolimits 2 scripts here! Also any discussion regarding scription for NoLimits Coaster 2 should be placed in this forum

Post March 13th, 2014, 6:16 pm

Points on hand: 4,689.00 Points
Bank: 1,372.00 Points
I've recently been working on a strata-coaster similar to Kingda Ka and Top Thrill Dragster. I'm planning on also script a lot of features into this ride. I've currently got a few done as of right now, and here a small preview of them.

Random roll back & launch reset:

(The fact it rolled back every other time at the start of the video is entirely coincidental, the chance of a roll back in this video was 1 in 2, I've since changed it to make it a lot less frequent)

Launch catch car:

(I'm not quite sure why, but for some reason the catch car doesn't stop properly at the end of the launch track, It's scripted in a way that it's supposed to, but it doesn't and I can't figure out why)

When I finish the coaster, I plan on fine tuning the scripts/making them a bit more user friendly (the catch car one, in particular, since they appear on all accelerators) and releasing them properly for other people to use.

Post March 13th, 2014, 7:51 pm
Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

lol Yay! the first ride I ever made is getting built! And it doesn't look like utter crap! I approve lol

Seriously, I uploaded it for the lolz, it's so bad. so so bad. I'm glad you're doing a better job with the layout lol
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post March 13th, 2014, 8:09 pm

The layout on mine came about bytrying to find a way to merge together TTD and the overbanks on the island on Millennium Force. Strata coasters are really awkward to make in a realistic manor, since you need to find that perfect balance between a thrilling layout, but without leaving the following train waiting on the launch track for too much time. Especially since strata coaster are usually one of the main attractions at a park, so they really have to move through people.

Post March 13th, 2014, 8:30 pm

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points
First question, what other scripts are you planning to write?
Second question, based on turbo's post, and more for Oscar, and staff was the idea of the junkyard part of the exchange implemented or was that idea thrown out ?
What are these for?

Post March 13th, 2014, 8:38 pm
Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

Has not been thrown out to my knowledge
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post March 13th, 2014, 8:38 pm

I'm not quite sure at the moment, I'm trying to think of what other random failures I could script in, such as a snapped cable failure state, but I'm not quite sure how you would be able to "undo" that (like the random roll back will automatically reset the train to the launch position).

Post March 14th, 2014, 1:09 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points
Pretty sure I talked to you about this rollback script thing on another site.
Have you considered posting your catch car issue over on the other site? Ride_Op and Phyter seem to hang out over there way more than here and they or someone else might be able to help you get the catch car script to work properly.

Post March 14th, 2014, 7:17 pm

I remember. I still wish a lot of the physics/scripts weren't so based around the fps ingame, like I really wanted the rare chance of the train completely stalling, but even the catch car is is a bit iffy if I lower the fps down to far.

After reading through the script a good few times, I managed to pinpoint the problem. I also altered the script a touch to have the catch car slow down a bit more gradually (not by a lot, but it is noticeable).

Post March 14th, 2014, 7:50 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Holy crap that looks great!
If at all possible to say in just a line or two or three, what was the scripting error you made that caused the catch car to be glitchy?

Post March 14th, 2014, 8:14 pm

I'll try as best I can.

The way the script works is that once the train is triggered to launch, the catch car will get triggered to move as well (both get set into "launch mode"). Once the catch car has played it's role and come to a stop, it is supposed to change state and get ready for the return trip back to the launch position. the problem came from that the trigger to put the catch car in launch mode is in the sequence/script that plays out the launch mode for the coaster, meaning that even though the catch car was done with what it had to do, the coaster was still trying to put it back into launch mode.

The reason the catch car jumps back a bit in the original video is because the last thing the catch car does in launch mode once it comes to a stop is save it's position so that it stays there for a moment. Since the coaster is trying to change the catch car back into launch mode and nudging it along, when the coaster actually leaves launch mode, the position from before was still saved, since it only got to the end of the launch mode that one time.

Hopefully you're able to understand what I'm trying to say.

Post March 14th, 2014, 9:03 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

So basically, the catch car launch sequence trigger is set to follow the launch sequence of the coaster, since the catch car was finished and the coaster was not, the trigger kept trying to throw the catch car back into launch mode to move?, which is what caused the error?

Post March 15th, 2014, 1:56 am
Goku1910 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,514.00 Points
Bank: 2,212.00 Points
really like this.....Hopefully I can get something like this working on the track I'm working on so people don't get on my case about not passing E-Stop tests. I'm interested in the rollback reset script the most.

Post March 15th, 2014, 7:04 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Yea especially since if you try to relaunch a train the old way in NL1, it would stop the train going in reverse and then speed the train back up forwards again, now in NL2, the trains don't get stopped when going in reverse after a rollback, they just crash going backwards at high speeds.

Post March 30th, 2014, 5:56 pm

Points on hand: 457.00 Points

Post June 6th, 2014, 10:46 am

Points on hand: 4,563.00 Points
TTD03 wrote:
Yea especially since if you try to relaunch a train the old way in NL1, it would stop the train going in reverse and then speed the train back up forwards again, now in NL2, the trains don't get stopped when going in reverse after a rollback, they just crash going backwards at high speeds.

I've found that a good way to avoid that is to make the whole launch track a single brake section, rather than a brake followed by a transport track. The only drawback is that you won't be able to launch it in full manual mode.

Post June 8th, 2014, 7:36 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Yea, I have noticed that was well, think you did that with your Kingda Ka recreation?

Post June 19th, 2016, 11:39 am

Points on hand: 1,038.00 Points
Can you put a download for your top thrill dragster?
Six Flags Great Adventure is my home park.

Post August 15th, 2016, 9:48 am

Points on hand: 100.00 Points
I made Kingda Ka, could I use this or would it not work?

Return to NoLimits Coaster 2 Scripting