Board index Roller Coaster Games NoLimits Coaster 2 Suspended coasters- Banked/unbanked?

Suspended coasters- Banked/unbanked?

All discussion relation to NoLimits Coaster 2 should be posted here. Purchase NoLimits Coaster from this page: nolimits-coaster-2-purchase-and-upgrade-links-t32524.html

Post January 12th, 2014, 9:41 pm

Points on hand: 204.00 Points
Bank: 3,034.00 Points
So apparently it's the g-forces applied to the fixed bogie that dictates the swing off the cars. In order for that to happen correctly, the g-forces registered would be insane XD Not at all the forces the riders would actually feel since the car swing negates lats.

My question is, try to make it LOOK more realistic or RIDE more realistic?

Post January 12th, 2014, 10:39 pm

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points

Post January 12th, 2014, 11:36 pm

Points on hand: 90.00 Points
Bank: 2,503.00 Points
Banking is more determined by whether or not the swing will hit the sidewalls of the cars. If you encounter lots of heavy swing on a turn or you see it visibly bump up and down, you really need to bank it, otherwise it'd be The Bat V2.

Post January 13th, 2014, 12:11 am

Points on hand: 6,337.00 Points
It's actually a lot more complicated that that. The cars are NOT free swinging... the more the car swings off neutral the more the shocks compress, and the harder it'll swing back the other way.

Post January 13th, 2014, 2:18 am

Points on hand: 1,589.00 Points
Bank: 1,000.00 Points
Real suspended coasters are banked to relieve some of the stress put on the cars' springs by the swinging. Unbanked track would lead to more maintenance being required due to this stress (Evidence being the performance of "The Bat" at King's Island in 1981-1983).

Post January 14th, 2014, 1:51 pm

real ones are banked very much like standard fixed-bogied inverted coasters. You really notice the swing on direction changes. Where inverted coasters snap into the banking, suspended coasters sort of delay and lazily drift into the turn, or sort of fishtail about if the forces are high enough. And my personal favorite, swinging side to side after a hard turn unto the brake run <3 Other than that they pretty much ride like Vekoma Family inverted coasters.

Because swinging objects bank themselves, suspended coaster lateral forces should almost always be near zero or relative to the degree of tightening on the suspension. No matter what the banking of the track itself is. I'm not sure there is a way for NL2 to calculate what the actual forces applied to the riders would be. I would guess NL is looking at the bogie alone for the calculations to position the body as more of a marionette. if this is the case it would be setting the banking of the track as a zero position and using the lateral forces applied there to swing the cars instead of the actual momentum and weight of the cars as they are pulled into turns. You can see this if you bank brakes and E-stop.

I'm thinking that the overcompensation of swing force TylerE noticed would be an attempt to simulate car sway during otherwise mostly static turns. They really do sort of fishtail and I can see that being very tricky to replicate. Having a screen to personally tweak that would be fantastic.

Post January 14th, 2014, 3:55 pm

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points
If it is unbanked it will ride ssimilarly in NL to the banked arrows in real life. If there is banking it just looks weird and swings unnaturally. I hope it is fixed.

Post January 14th, 2014, 8:36 pm

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

Yeah, I made a simple turn that goes from 0 degrees to 40 degrees in one smooth motion yet in the middle of that transition it just randomly swings violently at like 20 degrees.

Post January 14th, 2014, 8:45 pm

Points on hand: 483.00 Points
Bank: 19,590.00 Points
I took one of my inverting B&M layouts and made it a free swinging arrow suspended inverting coaster.

Post January 15th, 2014, 8:13 pm

Post January 15th, 2014, 8:56 pm

Points on hand: 483.00 Points
Bank: 19,590.00 Points

Return to NoLimits Coaster 2