Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Alton Towers 2018 - Wicker Man: GCI Wooden [mild spoilers]

Alton Towers 2018 - Wicker Man: GCI Wooden [mild spoilers]

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Points on hand: 0.00 Points
Bank: 15,203.00 Points
Dirk_Ermen wrote:
As expected, it looks like a genuinely fun ride as all the GCI's are. Nothing over the top thrilling, but definitely fun!

Anyone who was planning to go this weekend? As I heard it's currently closed due the cold temperatures. :lol:

The park was open, but with very limited rides.

herman116 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 7,471.00 Points
So I think many people still have a negative opinion about Alton Towers after the Smiler crash and then they build a new wooden coaster with fire and a pre-show in which they say out loud that their objective is to kill the people riding this coaster... :lol:

Points on hand: 4,433.00 Points
skyscraper wrote:
Wickerman soft-opened this afternoon! :D

120 Min. wait... No thank you. I'll ride Smiler or Nemesis instead with no wait
*Likes Taron, Untamed, Troy and Colorado Adventure a lot*

mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,053.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
RCT3andNL2stuff wrote:
skyscraper wrote:
Wickerman soft-opened this afternoon! :D

120 Min. wait... No thank you. I'll ride Smiler or Nemesis instead with no wait

Well yeah after you've ridden wickerman though right? Makes no sense to go and not bother with the new thing they built.
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Remeber that the queue for the Smiler got to over 3 hours long when it first opened. :o

gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,798.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

I had my fears about Alton Towers building a woodie confirmed to me today by a co-worker.

I said about going to Alton Towers this weekend to ride the new coaster, and his reaction was:
"Oh yeah, I saw about that. It's wooden isn't it? Like old roller coasters? To be honest, I can't believe that after all their problems they'd build an old fashioned roller coaster. They can't build their modern ones safe, so I definitely wouldn't trust going on that one!!"

Everything that I fear about the British general public's opinion on wooden roller coasters, packed into one horrible word vomit. These are the people that Merlin build for.

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
^ It baffles me they can't even accept the "wooden" structures! The shock itself! :roll:
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
gouldy wrote:
I had my fears about Alton Towers building a woodie confirmed to me today by a co-worker.

I said about going to Alton Towers this weekend to ride the new coaster, and his reaction was:
"Oh yeah, I saw about that. It's wooden isn't it? Like old roller coasters? To be honest, I can't believe that after all their problems they'd build an old fashioned roller coaster. They can't build their modern ones safe, so I definitely wouldn't trust going on that one!!"

Everything that I fear about the British general public's opinion on wooden roller coasters, packed into one horrible word vomit. These are the people that Merlin build for.

"Let's add a monstrous spectacle of fire effects to this pile of wood too! That'll really settle the public down." :lol:
1-Millennium Force | 2-Intimidator 305 | 3-Fury 325
4-Skyrush | 5-Iron Rattler | 6-X2 | 7-Kingda Ka
8-Voyage | 9-Maverick | 10-Monster

Points on hand: 5,761.00 Points

First post in a while so here it goes,
I was one of the lucky few to be at the media night on Friday and I told the designer and the park my honest opinion that its a solid ride but im not blown away by it. got some good forces in it and the wicker man is impressive however the story and theme seem to be abit lacking and standard. merlin has put a lot of theming in place for a pretty mediocre story line which could of been so much more entertaining than "you are going to be sacrificed to a god" Smiler's story was so much more involved and much more interesting.

The Public UK vision of a ride is so diverse which is really putting off some theme parks on building new roller coasters of any type especially wooden or hybrid coasters (for the love of god someone build a RMC in the UK). Icon will be the most popular this year due to it being a "technically advanced modern roller coaster" and if all runs smooth as with Mack rides it will can potentially see the death of building more woodies in the Uk.

I will be at transworld from tomorrow till Sunday so if anyone is in St. Louis or at the show look me up. I will be around wearing my immersive events hoodie
Making screams come true

Alright, so a wooden roller coaster, which most Alton Towers GP frequenters are already uneasy about, with a giant fiery display, and the theme is "sacrificing riders to a god." I'm dying :lol: Not exactly catering to the public's sensitivity after Smiler.

Innovtech Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,281.00 Points
Wicker Man was running all day today. A lot of stopping and starting throughout the day but we still got a good 6 rides in.

It is truly, truly gorgeous. Alton Towers has a way of making the basic look remarkable.

mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,053.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
Visually it is a fantastic coaster and theme. The Wickerman is surprisingly imposing in real life.
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Innovtech Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,281.00 Points
It does look great, the theming is fantastic & I think overall it's good solid ride with decent pacing..........but was a little bit of decent airtime too much to ask for?

I think Joris en de Draak at Efteling is very comparable and thats got a couple of good bits of airtime, so why couldn't Wicker Man have some?

Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
I wouldn't be surprised when the ride properly breaks in, that it will have some small pops of floater airtime. Probably at some of the transitions. Give it about half a year. Was the same for Wodan, went from: "Meh..." at the start of the season to: "OMG, What happened to this ride in those few months?!"
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Sorry for the double post, but I rode Wicker Man yesterday!
What an incredible coaster! :D

Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Glad you had fun. Nice to finally see a POV that isn't interrupted by people giving the camera a thumbs up
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Points on hand: 7,125.00 Points

Will look even better in a couple of years when the trees they planted fill up the area. Should make it feel faster too

Previous

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!