Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Texas Giant POV from Six Flags Over Texas

Texas Giant POV from Six Flags Over Texas

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post August 8th, 2009, 12:21 am
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,552.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

Thanks to SixFlagsFiesta we have obtained a nice onride video of Texas Giant from Six Flags Over Texas. Check out the video on the videos page, onrides page [;)] Place your comments here! Thank you!
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post August 8th, 2009, 12:57 am
Kev True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 3,347.00 Points
ouch! lol cool video SFF. here's a question that maybe you know the answer. why does six flags bring most (all?) of their coasters to a near stop at the top of the lifts? I don't remember them doing this until just a few years ago. or have they always done that?

Post August 8th, 2009, 1:21 am
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,552.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

Creates anticipation and anxiety in the majority of people thus making it more thrilling for most.
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post August 8th, 2009, 1:38 am

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
Six Flags does not bring most or all of their coasters to a near stop at the top of the lift. SFoT does with two major rides which is probably more than most Six Flags parks, and that's not even the majority there. El Toro is the only of Great Adventure's rides that slows near the apex of the lift, and that's for purposes other than anticipation. Also consider that Texas Giant is just a huge old woodie...a Dinn which is trimmed like the similarly sized Hercules and Mean Streak, both Cedar Fair coasters.

Other than the two Giovanolas, Hercules, American Eagle, and to a lesser extent El Toro, I can't think of any major Six Flags coaster that slows at the top of the lift. There may be more, but as you can tell, that feature is in the vast minority, and generally seems to be for upkeep reasons rather than to increase anticipation.

Post August 8th, 2009, 2:06 am
Kev True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 3,347.00 Points
Cool deal. Thanks for the answers. I've been curious about that ever since the last time I was there. My bad for assuming that most six flags coasters do this. I only rode three of them last time (Tx Giant, Titan, and SW), and they all came to a near stop at the top. So, I guess assuming has made me an ass yet again. I'm sure it won't be the last time. LOL

Will be cool to come back to this video for comparison in a couple of years, after they do whatever it is they are planning to do.

Post August 8th, 2009, 3:00 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Viper slows down at the apex of the lift WAAAAAAAY more than American Eagle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwW3vByaMQU

At 29 seconds: "Why are we stopping?"
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post August 8th, 2009, 3:21 am

Points on hand: 58.00 Points

I always assumed that was normal. Even my K'nex coaster does it.

Post August 8th, 2009, 10:27 pm

Points on hand: 117.00 Points
Dosent it also create tension on the chain? Thats why B&M puts dem lil pre-drops on most of dey lifts to give a lil boost so tha chain dosent have to waste tourque pulling it over the bend apex babyyyyy.
The Best Ball Of Optimism and Neglect You Will Find For Miles!

Post August 8th, 2009, 10:42 pm

Points on hand: 4,765.00 Points

Comet at Great Escape actually speeds up...It's almost like it launches over it's lift top. It's pretty cool actually, never seen any other ride do that.

Post August 11th, 2009, 10:57 am

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points
And pandemonium at sfne. Griffon at BGE also has a bit of a speed up at the top.

Post August 11th, 2009, 12:16 pm
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
Why is there a staff member sitting at the MCBR? [lol]
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post August 14th, 2009, 1:45 pm

Points on hand: 5,889.00 Points
Originally posted by dcs221

Six Flags does not bring most or all of their coasters to a near stop at the top of the lift. SFoT does with two major rides which is probably more than most Six Flags parks, and that's not even the majority there. El Toro is the only of Great Adventure's rides that slows near the apex of the lift, and that's for purposes other than anticipation. Also consider that Texas Giant is just a huge old woodie...a Dinn which is trimmed like the similarly sized Hercules and Mean Streak, both Cedar Fair coasters.

Other than the two Giovanolas, Hercules, American Eagle, and to a lesser extent El Toro, I can't think of any major Six Flags coaster that slows at the top of the lift. There may be more, but as you can tell, that feature is in the vast minority, and generally seems to be for upkeep reasons rather than to increase anticipation.

American Eagle does NOT slow down at the top of the lift. The blue side has only done this a few times recently because of lift problems, not done intentionaly. Last night one of the blue trains even got stuck on top of the lift hill.

I would know, I ride it almost every night :)
American Eagle Lover

Post August 17th, 2009, 4:57 pm

Points on hand: 50.00 Points
this ride looks reeallly rough, like ouch rough. still looks a bit fun :)
[19:47:28] rcking04: /smoke bong through wrong end

Post August 25th, 2009, 12:31 am

Points on hand: 750.00 Points
Originally posted by HazBruv

this ride looks reeallly rough, like ouch rough. still looks a bit fun :)

Have never rode it myself, but Texas Giant does have a reputation for being a VERY rough wooden coaster.

As far as being loved goes, it did win a few awards back in the 1990s, but most people laugh at them and some HATE the coaster. But there are still a few who enjoy it...

Post September 23rd, 2009, 2:24 pm

Points on hand: 115.00 Points

Post September 23rd, 2009, 5:05 pm

Points on hand: 1,066.00 Points
Cool video, reminds me of Mean Streak, but looks better. Mean Streak is like the worst wooden coaster I've ever ridden.

Return to General Theme Park Discussions