Board index Roller Coaster Games NoLimits Coaster 2 Textures missing from Sketchup .dae file, Noob

Textures missing from Sketchup .dae file, Noob

All discussion relation to NoLimits Coaster 2 should be posted here. Purchase NoLimits Coaster from this page: nolimits-coaster-2-purchase-and-upgrade-links-t32524.html

Points on hand: 2,362.00 Points
Let me start by saying I'm a total noob to this forum and to NL2. I just stumbled across it NL2 a week ago and knew I had to try it out. Please go easy on me if this is totally redundant.

I've had some modeling experience with sketchup and very little experience with NL2 and no scripting of any kind. My interest is importing .dae objects built and textured in sketchup. I followed an older video (for .3ds) explaining where to put the object file and the texture files. I assume it works the same for .dae? When I create the NL2SCO file my model appears, but without any of the textures that I've attached in sketchup. Then I get a long list of errors where each line is one of the missing texture files.
I'm using jpgs as each of the textures, and I've made sure that all the "right" sides are facing out in sketchup(the white side). Any help would be amazing!

Points on hand: 483.00 Points
Bank: 19,590.00 Points
I get the exact same error when importing objects from the sketchup warehouse!!! The texture file is there along with the dae file but tit still has missing jpg files.

Points on hand: 2,126.00 Points
Bank: 1,000.00 Points
I had the same problem, here's two things to fix. First make sure the name of your file dosen't have any spaces. For some reason if there is a space its looking for "my%20example.dae" instead of just "my example.dae". Also to fix the issue with sides facing out/in, etc. do this:
Attachments
Screenshot_1.png
Click the options button when exporting
Screenshot_2.png
Then find the check box that says "Export two-sided faces"
Screenshot_3.png
Then check that box to export models as they appear!

Thanks CoasterDude2001,

The only selection I didn't have checked was the "Export Edges." So after giving it another try I still get the same errors messages. Do I need to direct it to the texture files somehow? I feel like I'm still missing a step. You can see in my screen capture that my model loads, but with no textures. If I paint a surface in sketchup, that surface will load in NL2 with said solid color...but no bitmaps.
I did use some underscores in the texture names. Would that be a problem? I feel like I have the right "white sides" facing out in sketchup. Does NL2 somehow invert the faces? Should I face all blue sides out?
Here is my screen capture:
Attachments
error_message.jpg
the warnings after I place the newly created NL2SCO file

Points on hand: 2,442.00 Points
^Make sure to not have any spaces in your file name, that might be what's causing your problem.

Metazoanhaddock User avatar

Points on hand: 3,282.00 Points
Bank: 52,337.00 Points
any changes you make to the texture files in the folder containing them for the simulator to reference, you must also change in the folder in which the textures are contained for sketchup to reference them. for example:

if you change a texture from texture 1.jpg to texture_1.jpg in any folder in your nolimits root folder, you must also change its identical counterpart to the same name, otherwise the program is attempting to reference something that technically isn't there
Head Moderator
Director, Structural Engineer - PEAK Amusements
Site Contest Judge (Supporting)
Chatroom Admin

Still stumped. I've created a new simple box file to rule out the "no spaces" theory, and I'm still getting the same results. I made sure the file name, and texture files didn't have any spaces in the names and still coming totally blank. Maybe I'm uploading it totally wrong? Does anyone have link to a step-by-step tutorial?

Thanks everyone for your patience. I'm sure it's just something obvious I'm not doing. Sorry for the long post. Here are my steps:
phase1.JPG
built simple cube and painted 5 sides with Sketchup palette. Leaving one side for texture jpg
phase2.JPG
imported file called "boxtexture.jpg" on 6th side
phase3.JPG
texture appears in sketchup
phase4.JPG
check each box except "export hidden geometry" and "preserve credits"
phase5.JPG
export to desktop a box.dae file, and folder containing boxtexture.jpg
phase6.JPG
I pull "boxtexture.jpg" and "box.dae" into my no limits 2 park root folder
phase7.JPG
I select "NL2SCO editor" and name my object file "box.nl2sco"
phase8.JPG
I select "3D Model:" path and direct to "box.dae" save and close
phase9.JPG
I select "choose" tab then select box file I just created
phase10.JPG
the box is imported with the 5 colors with these warnings and no textures

Metazoanhaddock User avatar

Points on hand: 3,282.00 Points
Bank: 52,337.00 Points
"export to desktop a box.dae file, and folder containing boxtexture.jpg"

they may have to be in the same base reference folder, as opposed to a folder and a free file
Head Moderator
Director, Structural Engineer - PEAK Amusements
Site Contest Judge (Supporting)
Chatroom Admin

Points on hand: 5,889.00 Points
When you export to .dae in Sketchup, it saves the textures in a folder with the same name as the model. Copy that folder (not the file inside it) and place it in the park file with the model.
American Eagle Lover

Success!! Yes! Thank you Metazoanhaddock and Jonny Richey. I thought I saw the image texture files in with the .dae file in the original video I watched...so I thought that was the correct order. The folder containing the textures should be separate from the .dae file, but both in the root park folder. This makes me very happy! Now I can continue making my noobie sub-par coaster which I'm much closer to posting now. The response is much appreciated!!!! :D

Return to NoLimits Coaster 2