Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! The Future Of Six Flags Magic Mountain Confirmed

The Future Of Six Flags Magic Mountain Confirmed

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,552.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

In an interview with the L.A. Times. Shapiro confirmed that the future for Six Flags Magic Mountain looks good and there are plans to continue expanding it.

Shapiro stated that Magic Mountain will be getting a new roller coaster for 2010 and Wiggles World Kiddie Land will be added by 2011.

Shapiro stated that "Magic Mountain is highly profitable" and "We intend to keep it that way."

Source: L.A. Times
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post March 17th, 2009, 9:13 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,115.00 Points

Post March 17th, 2009, 9:39 pm
Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

i think that i had posted something like this a while ago. oh well, i hope the new coaster is good. the terminator i think is an amazing addition and maybe the next one will be big :)

EDIT: I think it was like 2 or 3 months ago
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post March 17th, 2009, 10:08 pm

Points on hand: 1,944.00 Points

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post March 17th, 2009, 11:04 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
5 bucks says it's a kiddie coaster.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post March 17th, 2009, 11:22 pm

Points on hand: 2,597.00 Points
Maybe they will get a TTD or KK style coaster to bring that to the west coast.

Post March 17th, 2009, 11:25 pm

Points on hand: 1,746.00 Points
^Yeah, they need one of those. I can do without Superman The Escape, so maybee that opens up room for an accelerator coaster?

And I hope their next coaster after Terminator is an Intamin. West coast needs another good Intamin :)

And now excuse me as I jump for joy [:D]

Post March 17th, 2009, 11:29 pm
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 44.00 Points
Bank: 4,333.00 Points
Ok, you put the worlds fastest and tallest ride in an earthquake zone? Thats another mistake I would expect Shapiro to make. I but its just going to be a small family ride. Perhaps a "Dark Knight" like coaster.

Post March 17th, 2009, 11:33 pm

^Now how many times a year do we get an earthquake that would destroy a ride? Besides, Intamin would take this into account before they even start to make a structure.

Post March 17th, 2009, 11:38 pm
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 44.00 Points
Bank: 4,333.00 Points
Ok, lets say they do. here is another reason they will not do it, LAX. Oh, dont forget the word Bankruptcy.

FYI = TTD cost 25,000,000. Ka had to cost more. You think SF can afford a 25,000,000+ ride?

Post March 18th, 2009, 2:26 am
True Addicts
True Addicts

Lets all put our thinking caps on for a moment.

*Engineers understand things like earthquake proofing and adjust so that's not a biggie. That's why it's much harder to get an engineering degree than say something that's a joke like sociology or theatre. Do you think all of the other rides aren't built with this in mind?
*I recall Goliath having the largest drop or something like that when it opened because the drop was a tad larger than Fujiyama's overall profile, which also happens to be in a seismic funland called Japan. Steel Dragon 2000 is also in that same seismic funland also with a 300+ft Intamin drop tower.
*SFMM has one Intamin ride. Its opening was delayed by a year and it was rather expensive to "fix". The ride currently still is a huge power sucker.
*They can't put in an accelerator because of LAX? Seriously?
*You just got Tatsu and Terminator, both are major installations, especially Tatsu. It's time to take a break from the big stuff. I wouldn't be surprised to see a rethemed Big Spin, Dark Knight, or like SFF said, a real little coaster.

Post March 18th, 2009, 6:12 pm

Points on hand: 1,492.00 Points
LAX is no where near Velencia...but I haven't been out side of CA. for 5 years so it's possible that they change some of the routes. But ya...I agree with what you said. They haven't even fully finished Terminator....do we honestly think that they'll already planning another Big Coaster?? I say give it 4 more years...especially with the whole inflation thing going on over here...I mean gas has gone down but everything else is pretty much still expensive but it's going down a penny a year at least[:D]
Sometimes you gotta sacrifice a little bit of yourself to get the job done.

Post March 19th, 2009, 5:48 pm

Points on hand: 2,396.00 Points
it would be dumb of them to build a coaster like ttd or kingda ka. to start running coast of kingda ka alone is $1000000 a year the ride has a 24/7 crew working on the ride and when operating they need to be over seeing the mechanal parts of the ride. second if there is any slight movement that moves the launch in any way the catch car will grab the plastic lining in the catch car trough and rip its self a part as we have seen one of these rides already do. third its not worth the money or risk for six flags to build another ride of that type as well as cedar fair.

Post March 19th, 2009, 7:31 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing something like iSpeed put in at SFMM in the next 3-4 years. Plus, it would be a huge attraction to the parks already attractive rides.

Post March 19th, 2009, 7:52 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

Superman has been a nightmare for them, which is why SFMM doesn't buy intamins. There will be no rocket coaster, end of story.

Post March 19th, 2009, 8:06 pm

Points on hand: 1,944.00 Points

In California ALL coasters and rides HAVE to meet earthquake standard.

Post March 19th, 2009, 8:16 pm

Wouldn't it be cool if they reprofiled the old rides like Colossus and Gold Rush!? I can't really think of what type of coaster they're missing. Maybe they should focus on the actual appeal of the coasters they have. To me that would be a smart choice. They already have almost every type of coaster. B&M Floorless and Standup and Flying and Inverted, Arrow Looper and Suspended and 4D, GCI, Vekoma Inverted Boomerang and Mine Train , Intamin, Schwarzkopf, Giovanola, and Twin Wood and a couple of small kid coasters. I feel sorry for parks like MM and CP. It gets harder to choose the more you have. The only thing I can think of is the X-car. Sorry for the ramble [|)]

Post March 20th, 2009, 12:20 am

Originally posted by Coasterkidmwm

Superman has been a nightmare for them, which is why SFMM doesn't buy intamins. There will be no rocket coaster, end of story.

Fe fi fo fum, what beanstock did you fall from?

Superman is an incredibly old and outdated coaster. There are much more effecient magnetic systems out, not to mention a hydraulic system is even more effecient, that easily could replace STE's magnets. I personally would not mind them getting rid of it.

Post March 20th, 2009, 1:06 am

Or like I said reprofile....even though it would probably be more cheap to just get a new one huh??

Post March 20th, 2009, 1:56 am
True Addicts
True Addicts

Didn't it open like a while year late after expensive modifications or something along those lines? I may be wrong so feel free to correct me.

Post March 20th, 2009, 2:13 am

^It was the first ride to use LSM's, problems were almost too predictable in its opening. Intamin is experienced in the LSM area now, and almost all of their modern LSM rides are much more reliable, consume less energy, and not to mention don't require extensive AND expensive modifications to get the ride to perform the way it was intended.

Conceptual rides/systems are always plagued with problems. A prime example is X. $10 million later and it is finally operating in a more or less "normal" state.

Post March 20th, 2009, 2:24 am
True Addicts
True Addicts

Tower of Terror opened before Superman.

Post March 20th, 2009, 1:01 pm

^Did it not have the same problems? The Reverse Frefall Coaster was the first coaster to use LSM's. Any first is a given problem. Stop debating this. This is the future of SFMM.

Post March 20th, 2009, 1:33 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

And it doesn't include Intamin because of Superman.

Post March 20th, 2009, 6:46 pm

^Do you know this for sure? No. You simply "assume" SFMM will not ask Intamin because of one ride - A NEW TYPE OF RIDE - did not go as planned.

And why do you freaking care? You do not live anywhere near SFMM. You have zero say in this matter.

Next

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!