Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Six Flags Discovery Kingdom 2016- The Joker

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom 2016- The Joker

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post September 3rd, 2015, 5:50 am
VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Points on hand: 10,818.00 Points
Thrilling New Hybrid Coaster, The Joker, Coming to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in 2016

Wood Meets Steel Creating Unique Experience

In Spring 2016, Six Flags Discovery Kingdom will open the most-anticipated new roller coaster in northern California in over 10 years, The Joker. This state-of-the-art extreme coaster will be the ???must ride??? coaster of the season, adding to the park???s status as Northern California???s most thrilling theme park.

???The Joker will be the most talked about new coaster in 2016,??? said Don McCoy, park president. We are excited to introduce this innovative technology that marries the best of both classic and modern coaster designs to offer our guests an unparalleled and unique experience.???

The Joker ride is the second DC Comics-themed attraction at the park after SUPERMAN??? Ultimate Flight opened in 2012 and the villainous character???s personality is evident in the coaster???s chaotic twists and turns including a first ever ???step-up-under-flip inverted roll??? that takes riders horizontal. The Joker ride also features the ultimate ???fake-out??? with a unique breaking wave turn, the only one of its kind on the West Coast.

Additional highlights of The Joker include:
???3,200 feet of dual-colored purple and green track;
???A wild Zero G barrel roll;
???3 inversions;
???15 extreme airtime moments; and
???Maximum speeds of 53 mph.

The Joker ride is being transformed from what was the park???s iconic and traditional wooden coaster Roar which closed on August 16, 2015. The Joker ride is scheduled to open in Spring 2016. For more information about upcoming 2016 Six Flags rides and attractions, including a video highlighting the new rides, visit http://www.sixflags.com/2016news.

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom is also announcing the start of 2016 Season Pass sales with its special Flash Sale through Labor Day weekend featuring the best deal of the year - savings up to 65% off on 2016 Passes! September 3 through 7, guests will receive a free upgrade to a Gold Season Pass with every Pass purchased. Gold Season Passes include admission to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom and any other Six Flags theme park, as well as free parking and special admission offers for friends. 2016 Season Passes provide unlimited visits any operating day for the rest of 2015, including park admission to Fright Fest, Holiday in the Park and all of 2016.

Follow Six Flags Discovery Kingdom on Facebook and on Twitter @sixflagsdk.
- See more at: https://www.sixflags.com/discoverykingd ... zJicU.dpuf

1172804.jpg

Post September 3rd, 2015, 5:59 am

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
This point of view looks a bit bumpy at most quick transitions or wobbly yet in the final roll section. Hope this "Joker" will turn out right! He no longer is joking!

:)
Last edited by lol240 on September 3rd, 2015, 6:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Post September 3rd, 2015, 6:12 am

Points on hand: 4,033.00 Points
Despite the stupid F-ing name they gave they first inversion, the first twisted drop and first inversion combo trumps anything on any of the other SF/RMC conversions, insane!

After that, it's VERY Wicked Cyclone, which isn't a bad thing at all. :D

Can't wait to ride this thing next June!
Intamin: The Force Awakens.

Post September 3rd, 2015, 7:41 am
VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Points on hand: 10,818.00 Points
I'm a little surprised that they went the "Storm Chaser" route and named it something completely unrelated to the original ride, but nevertheless, RMC has hit another home run with the Joker. Definitely the best new addition for Six Flags in 2016.

Post September 3rd, 2015, 10:11 am
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
This conversion is going to be a joke. :lol: They pretty much got rid of the best part of the ride. The high speed tunnel.
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post September 3rd, 2015, 10:43 am

This is jokey-dokey. ;) + :lol:

Post September 3rd, 2015, 11:18 am

Points on hand: 1,343.00 Points
Bank: 826.00 Points
Solid RMC coaster as always. I was interested to see what Alan Schilke did with the first turnaround and I like it. It looks like they're keeping more of the original Roar structure than they did with WC.

Post September 3rd, 2015, 1:23 pm

Points on hand: 4,800.70 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

This looks unreal, and the first turnaround inversion looks insane. The pacing is great, and the airtime looks fantastic. The animation POV is a bit wierd though; As lol240 said it looks a bit jarring in the quick transitions, and I think either 3DVIP was rushed with this animation and didn't have time to make a perfect bezier path, or the coaster is just too damn insane to animate properly :lol:
It's been a long time
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCErEzTkqrD55UEiIiiKsKmg

Post September 3rd, 2015, 5:59 pm
Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
Really Step-Up Under Flip?????

Are they that desperate?
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Post September 3rd, 2015, 7:21 pm

^:Stupid element name. But I hear that it was RMC that named it that as a joke, and SF kept it. lol

Post September 3rd, 2015, 7:24 pm
Metazoanhaddock User avatar

Points on hand: 3,282.00 Points
Bank: 52,337.00 Points
I could see that...If i owned a design/manufacturing company, I'd make up ridiculous element names purely for the sake of f#cking with the park...
Head Moderator
Director, Structural Engineer - PEAK Amusements
Site Contest Judge (Supporting)
Chatroom Admin

Post September 4th, 2015, 6:41 am

Points on hand: 9,972.00 Points
Yessss! Another awesome coaster that I'll (hopefully) be able to ride in about 3 to 5 years' time. :D

The drop looks really neat! I like how it has this really steep drop, and then decides to do this (hopefully snappy) turn instead of pulling out normally. I'm also digging that 0G stall - outside banked air hill - overbank combo because that part just flows so well! And I know this might be an unpopular opinion, but I wouldn't mind the lack of banking on that one part too much (as long as the Gs are okay); strong lateral Gs on a steel coaster would probably feel amazing, plus it would be a nice departure from today's designs that are afraid of going past 0.0357 lateral Gs cause that would cause the ride to lose its reridability factor for 140% of the population. (Okay, that might have been a slight exaggeration. :P)
Last edited by AmatsuNL on September 4th, 2015, 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mkingy wrote:
Yoda was famously quoted as saying:

Yoda wrote:
Free the Orcas, you must
Sith will prevail, otherwise

Fluorometholone

Post September 4th, 2015, 8:19 am

The question is... where did you get that value "0.0357" from? The minimum lateral g's for an uber-smooth and extreme coaster in NL2?

:lol:

Post September 4th, 2015, 1:02 pm

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points
RMC on a GCI structure actually looks kinda good
What are these for?

Post September 4th, 2015, 1:38 pm

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
Yeah overall I like the layout and I think it looks pretty good. I do think, like with Wicked Cyclone, it struggles a bit with not much starting height, and also RMC is still trying way too hard (can I get a flat turn at some point please?) but despite that it will be an excellent ride.

Post September 5th, 2015, 9:26 am

With this addition, I have to say SFDK now has my favorite coaster line up of all of the Six Flags "mid range" parks.

Post September 5th, 2015, 10:37 am

Points on hand: 227.00 Points
Bank: 11,457.10 Points
Looks like it'll be a solid ride. I think the RMC craze is definitely fading with me at least, but should be really fun to ride.
All hail your great Arrow Dynamics overlords.

Post September 6th, 2015, 3:19 am
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,048.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
AmatsuNL wrote:
And I know this might be an unpopular opinion, but I wouldn't mind the lack of banking on that one part too much (as long as the Gs are okay)

Honestly to me that looks like the most fun part of the ride. I mean, that first inversion is pretty inventive but nothing beats lateral airtime.
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points

Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
It's even more awful looking together than I anticipated.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Looks like the "Hotwheel" track pieces lol! :lol:

Mr. Freeze User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 32.00 Points
Bank: 4,860.00 Points
Never thought of that, but it actually does look like the old hotwheel tracks

Points on hand: 6,689.00 Points
Couple Pics from the parks instagram:

The topping of the lift (yesterday)

and

Lift progress (5 Days ago)
Attachments
IMG_1937.PNG.jpg
Lift Topping
IMG_1938.PNG.jpg
Lift working
Drummer, Guitarist, Coaster Enthusiast and a metal head??
126 Credits and counting!
Creator of MK Media on all social media platforms!

Post December 16th, 2015, 11:17 am

Points on hand: 1,428.00 Points

This dose look like a fun coaster. though I get a bit less and less excited every time RMC hacks up a wood coaster for a steel conversion. I really wish they would build more coasters, both wood and steel, from the ground up.

Next

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!