Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! the "Tsunami" roller coaster at M&D's theme park DERAILS!

the "Tsunami" roller coaster at M&D's theme park DERAILS!

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Points on hand: 0.00 Points
Bank: 15,248.00 Points

mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,053.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Maybe they're dumber than the Canadians that ran Mindbender without translating the instructions or inspecting it for months.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Points on hand: 0.00 Points
Bank: 15,248.00 Points

True Addicts
True Addicts

Yah I'm gonna bet on Mt. Olympus 2.0. Hope everyone is okay.

slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,728.00 Points
Isn't this the same model Pinfari that had the exact same thing happen a few years ago? Guess they never actually fixed the issue.

Edit: I might have been thinking of the Sartori model, my bad.
Boulder Dash was the only good roller coaster.

"or if you're when the hydraulic fluid was dumped out of the motor is goes 200ft up the tower and is like "LOL nope"" - CKMWM 2016

Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

For Pinfari (A company that makes sketch looking rides to me) I'm kinda shocked this doesn't happen more often... That said it sucks, probably a massive lack of maintenance issue.
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Points on hand: 3,436.00 Points
Bank: 1,275.00 Points
This park is known for being pretty damn ghetto so it probably is down to poor maintenance as you're all suggesting

XLR8R User avatar
CoasterCrazy Media
CoasterCrazy Media

Points on hand: 3,273.01 Points
Storm Chaser | Intimidator 305 | Lightning Run | Twisted Colossus | Maverick | El Toro | Millennium Force | Xcelerator | El Loco | Magnum XL-200
Coaster Count: 154 - Last Credit: Ragin' Cajun (Six Flags America)

True Addicts
True Addicts

XLR8R wrote:
a stupid video I won't link to was here

You know you really have a knack for posting the most painfully unfunny things you can get your hands on. It starts with your avatar and the bad jokes just keep rolling in.

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
The removal of that "Ouch!" corkscrew tells how the park is awful. :sad:
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points

I am more surprised that the entire train flew off... If that only set of wheels flew off, it would cause to have one car hanging loose and not derailing a full train. Having 5 sets of wheels flying off simultaneously is a bit of an odd gamble.
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Chances are that once the first wheels came off the weight of whatever car it was combined with the forces it was under overloaded the capacity of the wheels on the other cars.

"or if you're when the hydraulic fluid was dumped out of the motor is goes 200ft up the tower and is like "LOL nope"" - CKMWM 2016

XLR8R User avatar
CoasterCrazy Media
CoasterCrazy Media

Points on hand: 3,273.01 Points
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
You know you really have a knack for posting the most painfully unfunny things you can get your hands on. It starts with your avatar and the bad jokes just keep rolling in.

I apologize for not being blessed with sophistication. I understand that my content and many of the things may be seen as very cancerous, and it may very well be cancerous. You know, I agree with you, the things I create, the channel I have, and the things I post are not funny at all, yet some people find some enjoyment in it. I have no idea, perhaps they find cancer to be appealing. Well, I'd rather be a cancer than be someone who is outwardly friendly, but is actually a pedophile, a stalker, and/or a sociopath, a type of individual that makes up a sizable portion of the coaster community. Trust me, I've dealt with way too many people of the likeness in this community.

I'm here as a person who has nothing better to do, as with most of the people on the online coaster community, and I am in a group of individuals who also have nothing better to do as we scour the coaster community finding cancer, making fun of such cancer, meddle with such cancer, and occasionally contract some of that cancer. Some of our jokes may be seen by others as a cancer, but we find it to be hilarious for some odd reason, either because we find humor of the lowest denominator to be hilarious, or because we are poking fun at it.

Also, do not criticize the almighty Jim Reid the Dank Engine. While, you may not understand the powerful meaning behind it, I do not understand the meaning of your avatar... So, I guess that's a two way street in that regard.
Storm Chaser | Intimidator 305 | Lightning Run | Twisted Colossus | Maverick | El Toro | Millennium Force | Xcelerator | El Loco | Magnum XL-200
Coaster Count: 154 - Last Credit: Ragin' Cajun (Six Flags America)

True Addicts
True Addicts

slosprint wrote:
Chances are that once the first wheels came off the weight of whatever car it was combined with the forces it was under overloaded the capacity of the wheels on the other cars.

What's the fancy word for that. I know there is one for when part of a bridge fails all of it fails, and another for where part of it can fail and the rest will be fine.

Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

slosprint wrote:

That would sound more like a really bad design flaw. (Kinda could explain why the company went bankrupt.) Usually stuff can withstand forces of at least like 5-10x than the force it's producing. I even recall this even being checked by TUV.

Good think there aren't any reported deaths. Still terrible none the less.

True Addicts
True Addicts

It looks like it dinged one of the supports on the right on the way down. It's clearly bent, and all of the paint fell off the side opposite the track where the metal expanded so I doubt that was a slow bend.

slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Dirk_Ermen wrote:
slosprint wrote:

That would sound more like a really bad design flaw. (Kinda could explain why the company went bankrupt.) Usually stuff can withstand forces of at least like 5-10x than the force it's producing. I even recall this even being checked by TUV.

Good think there aren't any reported deaths. Still terrible none the less.

I mean you're dealing with an invert so as soon as one goes you've got the next one experiencing not only the load of double the cars but double the people, MULTIPLIED by the forces of what looked like the bottom of the first drop. Not to mention the first car would be accelerating downwards off the track while the rest continues forwards so you have the force of the 1 car yanking against the momentum of the rest of the train. That would EASILY exceed a 10x factor of safety, and IMO would probably be closer to around 20-30x; and that's just with the 2nd wheel. With each wheel that comes off it's less likely the next will stay on, so once you get past the first two good luck with the rest.

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
This is way worse than "The Smiler" in a technical point... :sad:
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Points on hand: 227.00 Points
Bank: 11,457.10 Points
^^keep in mind ninja was perfectly fine supporting the first car
All hail your great Arrow Dynamics overlords.

Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

MagnumFreak25 wrote:
^^keep in mind ninja was perfectly fine supporting the first car

Same goes for Cobra @ Tivoli Friheden.

slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Agreed, which is why the first detachment was probably due to either maintenance negligence or an uncaught manufacturing flaw. My point was it's not really a design fault that once one car goes; the rest goes with it. It's like questioning why a building collapses when you take out an essential support beam, because all calculations were made assuming that beam was in-place. The first wheel going may have been a design issue though, no arguing that. The only real fail-safe you can have for something like this is to make the cars connected by a hitch which is far weaker than the wheel assemblies to act as a break point. Doing that raises its own issues though; it's much better to just ensure no cars fall off in the first place.

Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Points on hand: 6,049.50 Points

Surely the park has records of when the last NDT ultra sound was which would show their weren't any fatigue defects. Just looking at the pictures I can't tell if this thing failed at the connecting point as a result of a fastener failure or if it broke in some place more catastrophic like the car frame. The entire train should not have derailed if just one boogie came off the rails. I would wager to bet that what happened was something rolling failed causing it to jam into the rails, and the force of the train hitting that piece broke the rest of the units off the rails as a sheering force. Not good at all.

gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,833.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Mikey wrote:
Surely the park has records of when the last NDT ultra sound was which would show their weren't any fatigue defects.

:lol:

They wouldn't have any records if the last time they had an ultra sound was never.

Points on hand: 3,436.00 Points
Bank: 1,275.00 Points
^Hahaha, M&D's is honestly run like a roaming funfair. It shouldn't even be called a theme park unless they've actually cleverly themed the entire park as a depressing old gypsy fair (in which case better theming than Phantasialand)

Next

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!