Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Thunder Road Leaving Carowinds in 2015!

Thunder Road Leaving Carowinds in 2015!

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post May 23rd, 2015, 12:18 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points
Well this was just posted........ Interesting huh????

Points on hand: 15,383.90 Points

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

If Kings Island ever removes the Racer I would be thinking "they changed it now it sucks" and maybe go as far as to wish permanent closure upon the park or whichever park the Racer gets relocated to, if it did get relocated.
The Beast isn't guaranteed to stay either. Crybabies complaining that it's "too rough" will be the death of it yet. The fact that it is an impressive, popular, record breaking ride doesn't mean crap in the business world. I wholeheartedly believe that no ride, no matter how popular it is or how much of an impact it left, is ever immune to being removed, not even The Beast. Any ride you ride, just perpetually pretend like it's the last time you'll ever get to ride it before it gets dismantled.
It's official, traditional wooden coasters going extinct.

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

I still think the Beast isn't going anywhere. It gives a nighttime ride like no other, I don't really think it's that rough, and it still holds its record it opened with.

Blase Rhine User avatar

Points on hand: 30,499.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

I wonder if it will receive the RMC treatment or for a Waterpark extension. As much as I love Thunder Road and it was one of my firsts, It was becoming quite dated. I am excited to see what Carowinds has in store for the upcoming years!
Sometimes I dream of unicorns and oreos

Points on hand: 227.00 Points
Bank: 11,457.10 Points
SkyArrow wrote:
If Kings Island ever removes the Racer I would be thinking "they changed it now it sucks" and maybe go as far as to wish permanent closure upon the park or whichever park the Racer gets relocated to, if it did get relocated.
The Beast isn't guaranteed to stay either. Crybabies complaining that it's "too rough" will be the death of it yet. The fact that it is an impressive, popular, record breaking ride doesn't mean crap in the business world. I wholeheartedly believe that no ride, no matter how popular it is or how much of an impact it left, is ever immune to being removed, not even The Beast. Any ride you ride, just perpetually pretend like it's the last time you'll ever get to ride it before it gets dismantled.
It's official, traditional wooden coasters going extinct.

The beast is still a legendary ride among the GP even. It's too popular to be taken out, its not thought of as rough, its drawing in people, and its not costing a fortune in maintenance. There's just no advantage to taking it out so it will stay. Simple logic.
All hail your great Arrow Dynamics overlords.

Points on hand: 89.00 Points
Blase Rhine wrote:
, It was becoming quite dated.

Tell that to all the parks with coasters waaaaay older than that....like Kennywood/Hershey/and the countless others with rides well over 50 years old.
Welcome to Wal Mart, Get your SH*T! and get out!!!

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Blase Rhine wrote:
I wonder if it will receive the RMC treatment or for a Waterpark extension. As much as I love Thunder Road and it was one of my firsts, It was becoming quite dated. I am excited to see what Carowinds has in store for the upcoming years!

I think RMC would be dumb, that coaster was fine as it is. Colossus needed it.

VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Points on hand: 10,818.00 Points
Blase Rhine wrote:

It's probably being removed for a waterpark expansion because, as you can see below, removing Thunder Road is really the only way they could do that.
thumb_screen_shot_2015-05-12_at_6.png

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

VF15 wrote:
Blase Rhine wrote:

It's probably being removed for a waterpark expansion because, as you can see below, removing Thunder Road is really the only way they could do that.
thumb_screen_shot_2015-05-12_at_6.png

Only problem there is that besides the turnaround there's not any other place for a tower. Seems like it would have been much smarter to build the expansion in that unused parking lot and just build a path under the ride.

Points on hand: 6,539.00 Points
Wasn't expecting any truth to these rumors. I could see something crazy like an RMC conversion *and* expansion of the waterpark into the adjacent lot, given how much Cedar Fair has talked up investment in Carowinds. Still highly unlikely with the freshness of Fury.

I will be sad if Thunder Road is replaced by waterslides, which hold less than zero relevance for me.
Last edited by aj74205 on May 23rd, 2015, 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

I doubt that Thunder Road will be RMC'd because the park just spent $30 million on Fury 325, and they'll probably need to wait until that ride pays off before they receive a new coaster.

^Under normal circumstances, yes. How much of the $50 million expansion package is left now?

Points on hand: 7,295.00 Points

aj74205 wrote:
^Under normal circumstances, yes. How much of the $50 million expansion package is left now?

Probably 20 mil. Plus the normal money they'd spend. Enough for a conversion and a slide tower.

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points
I rode it last week. It was horrible. It probably won't be a huge waterpark expansion but definitely a nice landmark slide deck at least.

VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

CoasterGuy2000 wrote:
aj74205 wrote:

Probably 20 mil. Plus the normal money they'd spend. Enough for a conversion and a slide tower.

I would assume that the waterpark expansion Carowinds had in 2014 was a part of the $50 million. Plus, the park also received Slingshot and a new entrance plaza this year. Not so sure that leaves them with enough capital for an RMC hybrid and new waterslides.

TheArchitect User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 501,147.00 Points
Bank: 498,048.00 Points
It most likely wasn't. Remember, this is extra money given to them not the only money they have. The other additions were things they could get normally. RMC isn't possible either way, they've stated several times they haven't been planning rides from them. GG doing something like Hades might be possible.

Points on hand: 7,295.00 Points

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
Yes, slay the future! Delay growth! A park getting rid of an unpleasant coaster for what is likely an exciting future expansion is ratshit. I signed the petition.
1-Millennium Force | 2-Intimidator 305 | 3-Fury 325
4-Skyrush | 5-Iron Rattler | 6-X2 | 7-Kingda Ka
8-Voyage | 9-Maverick | 10-Monster

I do not feel particularly passionate about saving wooden coasters that aren't of historical merit, but I'd rather have a subpar wooden coaster over any water park attraction (or an entire water park idgaf). Cedar Fair's a business after all, really it's too bad I'm not their target customer.

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Yea, I think its really terrible that they are trying to expand capital, by removing it. That coaster is the only one that splits between two different states (that I am aware of) and I really wanted to ride it in August because of it.

Next

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!