Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Tokyo DisneySea/Disneyland Closed Due to Quake

Tokyo DisneySea/Disneyland Closed Due to Quake

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 44.00 Points
Bank: 4,333.00 Points
Tokyo-Chiba Prefecture-Japan

Tokyo DisneySea and Disneyland have been damaged by the tsunami caused by the 8.9 magnitude earthquake which struck off shore of Japan around 3:00 PM (14:46) local time. Current details are still arriving, damage reported at this time is major flooding.

Story to be updated when information is released.

Bing Maps picture of the area:

UPDATED: Below is a photo of the flooding with-in the Disney property.

Guests awaiting assistance after the earthquake.

Those last two photos of the news are from Twitter. All guests and employees are reported to be un-injured.
Last edited by Tetsu on March 11th, 2011, 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post March 13th, 2011, 6:10 pm
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea will be closed for at least 10 days fallwing last week's major earthquake.

Story: http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/03/77214.html

Post March 17th, 2011, 12:08 pm

Points on hand: 3,999.00 Points
It's strange that the local news organizations here in Cincinnati have not mentioned this in their news.
Trackwalker

Post March 17th, 2011, 12:14 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
They don't mention it because it's the love japanese disneyland and people are a bit more concerned about things like the death toll, nuclear meltdown, etc. What else do you expect from them? News about Walygator Parc?
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post March 17th, 2011, 12:22 pm

Points on hand: 3,999.00 Points
Thank goodness for the Internet where we can get ALL the news.
Trackwalker

Post March 17th, 2011, 1:03 pm

Points on hand: 209.00 Points
Bank: 311.00 Points
BTW,does anyone know if Thunder Dolphin is still standing?

Post March 17th, 2011, 1:12 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

God damn it

/me gives up

Post March 17th, 2011, 1:25 pm

Points on hand: 2,652.00 Points
Bank: 2,739.00 Points

I find it kind of funny that everyone in the 3rd pic is just sitting around, looking calm and collected. When we had the big quake last easter, everyone here was panicky and nervous, even during the hundreds of aftershocks we got. If that quake had struck any of the big cities in CA, there would be looting, rioting, and people running around screaming "Armageddon."
"if you found your laughin' place, how come you ain't laughin'."https://www.facebook.com/calicoaster1/

Post March 17th, 2011, 2:53 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

The water on the ground is from liquidation. Essentialy, the ground becomes a little more like pudding and softer as water seeps up from underneath it. Disney did a remarkable job engineering the resort.

Post March 17th, 2011, 3:29 pm
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

^ Agreed. I didnt get my fast corect when I first reported the story. The tsumani never struck Tokyo proper.

Originally posted by spacemountainfan619

I find it kind of funny that everyone in the 3rd pic is just sitting around, looking calm and collected. When we had the big quake last Easter, everyone here was panicky and nervous, even during the hundreds of aftershocks we got. If that quake had struck any of the big cities in CA, there would be looting, rioting, and people running around screaming "Armageddon."

The people in Japan know how to cope with earthquakes from a very early age and they also know that the country is bigger then each of its people. By that I mean, they know that helping is more important then gluttony. This is one of the many ways how Japan is better then the United States.

LOEA, I know that Japan has much stronger building codes then the rest of the world so I would assume that it is fine.

Post March 17th, 2011, 3:58 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

Yeah they have an earthquake 100 times as strong as the one in Haiti and they have a fraction less collapsed buildings.

Goes to show what an actual building code does compared to Haiti's "Jesus will protect it" strategy.

Post March 17th, 2011, 5:09 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,115.00 Points

Originally posted by spacemountainfan619

I find it kind of funny that everyone in the 3rd pic is just sitting around, looking calm and collected. When we had the big quake last easter, everyone here was panicky and nervous, even during the hundreds of aftershocks we got. If that quake had struck any of the big cities in CA, there would be looting, rioting, and people running around screaming "Armageddon."
that was a crazy day i was up here mixing an album for deadbolt and i swear at first i thought i had somethng too loud. that was indeed a big one for around here.

Post March 25th, 2011, 3:58 am

Points on hand: 809.00 Points
OH MY! I'm a Disneyland fan. And it breaks my heart to know this bad news about Disneyland. Finding out about the earthquake already gave me goosebumps. But finding out about the damage it has done to Disneyland made me disappointed and sad at a certain point. My family was planning a Tokyo trip recently. Good thing my dad said NO to our Japan trip this year. Or else, we would've booked already. who knows, it could've been the time Japan experienced earthquake and tsunami.

Post March 25th, 2011, 5:09 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,833.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

^ Guys, there's a female in my internet, wat do? I have never seen one before!

Post March 25th, 2011, 9:39 am

Points on hand: 1,303.00 Points
Originally posted by Erika Ayala

OH MY! I'm a Disneyland fan. And it breaks my heart to know this bad news about Disneyland. Finding out about the earthquake already gave me goosebumps. But finding out about the damage it has done to Disneyland made me disappointed and sad at a certain point. My family was planning a Tokyo trip recently. Good thing my dad said NO to our Japan trip this year. Or else, we would've booked already. who knows, it could've been the time Japan experienced earthquake and tsunami.

So basically... the earthquake makes you a little sad, but the minor damage to Disneyland has made you REALLY sad... wow.

Post March 25th, 2011, 3:24 pm

^See, that's why no one here knows what a woman is, people tend to scare them off. I read her post a couple times and it seems that she is sad for multiple reasons, not just one, so I don't really see the problem. tragedies affect different people for different reasons. The main thing is that she was moved. Some people who weren't directly impacted couldn't give 2 shits that these tragedies have occurred, in a me first generation it is definitely nice to see that someone was moved in one way or another by something that happened in a different part of the world.
"if you found your laughin' place, how come you ain't laughin'."https://www.facebook.com/calicoaster1/

Post March 25th, 2011, 4:20 pm

My apartment building burned down... everyone died... that gave me goosebumps... then I found out my TV got minor smoke damage in the fire and I was REALLY upset.

I don't see much of a difference here. I agree that when people express their true feelings it's a good thing. You find out how retarded they really are.

Post March 25th, 2011, 4:35 pm

That is different, those are people that you probably saw regularly and knew on one level or another.

Post March 28th, 2011, 8:21 am

That just proves my point that most people can't feel sympathy for anyone unless they are directly impacted. Selfish nature is the new trend.

Post March 28th, 2011, 1:35 pm
GavG Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 973.00 Points
Bank: 950.00 Points

Post May 6th, 2011, 4:58 pm

Points on hand: 3,805.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
Originally posted by coolbeans326

The water on the ground is from liquidation. Essentialy, the ground becomes a little more like pudding and softer as water seeps up from underneath it. Disney did a remarkable job engineering the resort.

It's actually liquifaction, Liquidation is a business term, on a basic level, for businesses filing bankruptcy (It's not as simple as that but... I'm Ill. So shuttup.)
Still, I hope not many Jet coasters were damaged/destroyed.
Cradled by two loving arms that I'd die for,
One little kiss and Felina goodbye.

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!