Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions uk theme parks

uk theme parks

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post March 5th, 2006, 12:55 pm

Points on hand: 2,053.00 Points

Post March 5th, 2006, 12:57 pm

Points on hand: 380.00 Points

Post March 5th, 2006, 1:05 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,753.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Thorpe Park? as if [lol]

Alton Towers, obviously, how could anyone possibly say any different? BPB not being a theme park and is shite anyway. Thorpe Park having only the 2 (3 when it opens again) decent coasters. All the others being tiny and insignificant [lol].

To be fair quite a few of the parks are decent, but for me, I don't see how any of the parks compare with AT, it is just the best in the UK, simple as.

And, why the hell is this in the site related section AND how many times have we seen this thread before? [lol]

Post March 5th, 2006, 1:12 pm

Points on hand: 985.00 Points
I like AT better than Thorpe Park but i would rather go TP because AT is a 4hour drive and TP is only 45mins.

Post March 5th, 2006, 1:14 pm

Points on hand: 3,318.00 Points
Location: Kettering, England / Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

Alton Towers obviously, is there even any competition?

Post March 5th, 2006, 1:29 pm

Post March 5th, 2006, 1:59 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

^ you guys have a couple of smaller parks that look like they would be more fun than thorpe park. To be honest TP just looks like a UK version of knotts, and you can compare all thier rides to knotts (except for Collossus) Don't get me wrong its definately one of UK's better parks, but I don't think its #2.

Post March 5th, 2006, 2:20 pm

Points on hand: 5,761.00 Points

alton towers rules over all.
nemesis just on its own would make it the best park in the country.
its well themed, clean, well maintained and has a good mix of rides.

at all the way man
Making screams come true

Post March 5th, 2006, 2:42 pm

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
I would prefer TP over AT.

Reasons:
Air = lame. Ive been on the larger, badder ones and after the Pretzel its just kind of boring. Ive seen multiple onrides of Air and while it may be a cool flying sensation, its still a bore fest.

Oblivion: Ive got TTD for my vertical drops and Ive got drop towers. If I really wanted to fall vertically, Id ride an Intamin Drop Tower. Oblivion is really a one hit wonder. Its a shame you guys only have the smaller Intamin freefalls and not the monster 300+ foot ones here that rule.

Nemesis is the only reason I would go there.

TP has:
NI: While it may lack the overall appeal of its namesake, it is still a small and intense invert with what looks to be alot of re-ridability.

Colossus: Its not the most intense ride in the world but I do love the themeing and the constant switching of motion and rotation. Not always does intensity win over.

Stealth: Come on? A mini Ka thats all but guaranteed to be what Ka should have been? Please. No contest. Instant winner.

Post March 5th, 2006, 3:09 pm

Points on hand: 3,318.00 Points
Location: Kettering, England / Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

Have you been to either park Real? In my opinion, it's not always the rides that makes the park, it's the location and theming. Alton Towers seems to be in the middle of a forest, situated on the both sides of a Valley and just makes for breathtaking views. TP is in London. Although the lakes are quite nice, the general pollution and smog isn't. Also you cant really judge rides like Oblivion and Air, due to restrictions faced and not only that, it's the appeal of the rides to the public. The rides were not designed with us coaster enthuisasts in mind, more 'what would bring in the crowds and make the money' You also seem to be missing RITA off of your list

Post March 5th, 2006, 3:16 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

^ I agree, atmosphere sells to me better than rides. I like it when your walking around at a park (like IOA for example - according to people I've talked to anyways..) and it feels like the ride's line had just as much thought put into as the ride itself.

Post March 5th, 2006, 3:20 pm

I disagree that the rides were built just for GP.

Wardley purposefully chose to get the initial prototypes of those rides for the enthusiasts. I have seen both interviews online and in video where he states that he, as a coaster lover, knows what he wants in his designs. He masterminded most of what is there - NOT B&M.

The only reason I would REALLY enjoy AT is the environment. However, I have found that environment is only half of it. My favourite enviro. to date (and probably similar to AT) is Holiday Worlds. Its nestled amongst a ridge in the southern Indiana foothills and its simply beautiful. However, if it didnt have 2 AMAZING coasters and a world rated water park (plus Voyage) I would not be returning again.

Ive been to both sides. Those which have tons of rides but not a great location and vice versa as well as parks that have both and have neither. I tend to go with a park that has more thrill than enviro because I can forgive that - to an extent.

As for RITA - I have no opinion. When compared to Stealth I see no comparison really. So I just left it off as a matter of indifference.

But of course Ive never been there but I have a fairly good ideal from the tons of reports I read and videos Ive seen. I think what I may like MORE than the coaster side to Alton is the gardens side. I do love a great botanical garden and conservatory and I feel like I could spend days sitting around, listening to music or drawing in some of those settings instead of being in the park. That is has going for it.

Plus I like playing the devils advocate here and I knew Id stir up the Euros since AT is such "holy ground".

Post March 5th, 2006, 3:25 pm

if you havent been there you cannot have a very important opinion. its like me slaging off cp even tought i have never been there, it wouldent count whatsoever
Making screams come true

Post March 5th, 2006, 3:30 pm

I just hope Stealth will be more reliable that TTD and KK.

Post March 5th, 2006, 4:25 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

I disagree with Real, very very strongly. It's not surprising that the only person saying that TP is better than AT, hasn't ever been to either of the parks. Whereas everyone else (apart from canadmos lol) has been to both parks.

I disagree with what Real is saying about Air and Oblivion also. My mom, who is not a "thrill seeker", says that her favourite ride is Air. You see, what makes AT so much better for me, is the variety of the rides, there really is something for everyone there. TP doesn't really have a "half way house" ride as I would call it. Air is one of the those rides where, it's a nicely sized B&M and considering the height of the other rides in the park, it is quite tall, but at the same time, it's not intimidating or particularly scary. It is a good ride as it does what it was designed to do, which is give the feeling of smooth, graceful flight. It is a really great feeling, it just doesn't provide a thrill, but that's not always what everyone wants.

As for Oblivion, that does exactly what it was designed to do as well. You're right in saying it is a one trick pony, but what exactly can you do with a coaster that drops from 60ft and has such a small car? It is a very well designed ride. It is designed enitrely for the intimidation factor and although it is a crap ride, it is still the scariest thing I have ever ridden, and I'm sure people who have ridden it will agree to that sentiment. You can't exactly explain why, it just is, all the different things just combine to just make you feel extremely intimidated, a lot more so than even on Nemesis and other rides.

Basically, all the rides at AT were designed for a specific purpose and they have all been designed extremely well to accompany that purpose (apart from Corkscrew, which was just thrown in there to attract attention to the park). The atmosphere in the park is like no other park here, it is just a huge forest and you cannot see the rides, you are just walking, then all of a sudden, there's Nemesis, right in front of you, roaring away etc... There is no competition to Alton Towers in the UK, it is by far the best theme park and fully deserves it's tag as such.

Post March 5th, 2006, 4:35 pm

Points on hand: 2,931.00 Points
never been to either of course im in USA but from stuff i hear alton is better not that thorpe is bad just alton has more coasters and more well known ones. But the thing i hate about alton is "I" think it tries to be like the next busch gardens but it doesnt pull it off as well. The try to be clean and stuff but the parks themes make it look scabby. Jus my thoughts though

Post March 5th, 2006, 4:39 pm

Gouldy, you must have not read anything I said.

I know why the rides were designed. Ive read almost everything I could find on John Wardley. John did most of the designing of all of those rides. B&M said "hey, we have this concept" and he said "Ok, This is what I want". John so much as had the entire layouts configured or in the very least a very rough sketch but a definitive idea with what he wanted.

JW isnt a slouch either. Thats why Nemesis is so intense - not because of B&M. Its the nature of a ride that small with so much crammed in.

But I already stated that I knew what each ride was designed for. If you think I dont, you are very mistaken. However, with that being said, I dont get much from flying coasters in general so theres nothing that can be said for Air that would make me go "OMG! I gotta ride it!" Other than for the credit. Sure its more "graceful" in movement than the SUF clones but really, they are equally smooth Im sure. Only difference obviously is height and intensity. But even still Ill go ride an Arrow Cork over a B&M flyer (well...Tatsu upsets that theory)

So what were you telling me? You say Air provides not much thrill. Isnt that what I said? :

As for Oblivion - again you just said what I said. Its essentially a drop ride made coaster. Frankly, I would feel less intimidated being able to see that I was heading into a hole. Plus just being on a coaster makes me feel safe. When you go up 300ft on an Intamin Gyro Drop you see nothing below you - just straight out. Plus, and Im not sure why, but theres something far more uneasy to being hauled up a huge pole into the air only to be released from it - OH but what a rush.

I knew you guys would get all hissy but I didnt think youd go this crazy. Its speculation from my end - not an actual analysis - duh. But I think its well deserved since Ive almost seen and read almost everything there is too read.

Plus I always tend to gravitate to opposite what everyone else does - so this shouldnt suprise you.

Post March 5th, 2006, 5:24 pm

Points on hand: 3,283.00 Points

Real i dont think you can juudge oblivion that well unless you've ridden it. I got on thinking this is going to be lame, and i was what, 9? But once the car leaves that station theres something about the way its done that you just suddenly want to poop yourself. It doesnt do it to me anymore, its a boring ride now, and i will gladly skip it for rita and nemmy. But first time, when that smokes going, and the sounds going (shame its gone, it made the ride), and when you ride it in the dark, it is one of the most intimidating rides ever! But i dont like it that much anymore.

Anyway, alton wins hands down for me, but thats because i just love it there. Nemesis is there, Ritas there, its a beautiful place, its absolutely huge, and it has spinball!!!!!! [:P]

Thorpe is definately second imo, then flamingoland. Thorpe have colossus which i could ride all day! I love the end with the 4 heartlines. They also have my favourite flat ride, slammer, the S&S sky swat! Im not a fan of nemmy inferno, its just not intense. Thorpe is the thrill park, and i love it for that. It isnt THAT great now, but with stealth this season, i think im going to like thorpe a whole lot more [:D]

Flaingoland has to be mentioned IMO. Well i used to love it, with magnum force and bullet in the same park, along with cliffhanger!!!!!!! Just awesome IMO! But now the 2 coasters have gone, so im waiting to see what i think of kumali!

Post March 5th, 2006, 5:25 pm

Points on hand: 3,564.00 Points
Every one bow down to Real, he is the theeme park god (even thoe he hasn't been to the one's that we are talking about).

Personally I prefer AT over TP and I actually prefer FL over TP as well. The problem I have with TP is it's to close to London (what do I have against London) (cockney's). Or should I say the Cockney Accent.

Post March 5th, 2006, 5:46 pm

*shakes head* What is wrong with you guys?

1. I specifically noted that it was based on speculation.
2. I said I was even trying to stir things up
3. You still take me that seriously enough to make snide comments.

You guys also forget I dont have any predjices against parts of England like many of you do. Hence why if its located near London (A place I wish to visit in my lifetime) has no bearing on if I like it or not.

JPE - Every coaster I ride for the first time, large or small, I get a bit nervous. However, the more I know a ride (like I know All the rides at Alton) the less intimidated I would be. Whats to intimidate me if I know the layout, the scene and the sounds? Only the forces. Which I still get nervous for. Its the unknown. Thats always the fun part.

But if its already lame to you now, Im sure it would only take one ride for me. So my point stands.

Just like every ride at CP is kind of boring to me now. All of you are like OMG CEDAR POINT when Im like "meh".

Remember, for an outsider looking in theres alot more to why I would prefer TP to AT than you. If you cant handle an outsiders look in, dont read anything I have to say on the subject.

However I did forget about Spinball so I call it an even trade now. I love spinning rides.

Post March 5th, 2006, 5:46 pm

Points on hand: 3,283.00 Points

Every one bow down to Real, he is the theeme park god (even thoe he hasn't been to the one's that we are talking about).

Theres no need to be like that, hes only giving his opinion. He got it pretty right aswell if all hes looking for is thrills and nothing else. This season thorpe WILL be the thrill park of the UK. No doubt about it.

Post March 5th, 2006, 6:05 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Originally posted by owen jay

The problem I have with TP is it's to close to London (what do I have against London) (cockney's). Or should I say the Cockney Accent.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA, awesome. At least it's not actually within the city itself and the accent isn't as thick over Staines way.

I'm not enitrely sure what jpe is on about to be honest, I have ridden Oblivion many times and it still shits me up when you're on that chainlift, why I don't know, but it just does.

Real, if you genuinely do wish to visit London in your lifetime, I honestly do, from the bottom of my heart, believe that you will be gravely dissapointed, as you may as well just visit any other european city, London sucks cock, that's all there is to say. It has a lot more to do with the people that live there than anything else. You'd be far better off visiting England... I don't completely wish to class London as Part of England see, apart from the football, it is almost completely detatched from the rest of the countries culture ... and it's too close to France. [lol]

Post March 5th, 2006, 6:07 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

lets continue bagging on Real![:P]
[lol]
Anyways, I personally think (based on looks and rides) that Flamingo Land will be better than Thorpe Park mainly for my whole reason stating how its like the Knotts/Dorney of the UK. Not to mention I'm a sucker for smaller chain/family own parks! [:)]

Post March 5th, 2006, 6:10 pm

Who said I had to interact all day with the people ;)

All I need is my girl, my camera and thats it. I dont have to worry about a language barrier so all I really need to do is enjoy the sights and sounds and take lots of pictures of cool things.

Plus London is very old and I love old cities. Its got alot of history behind it.

But I expect alot of cynisism from people who live there because its the same with me when people come over here and wish to flock to certain places I have been and Im scratching my head wondering why. Why? If youve never been there you havent been tainted yet.

Post March 5th, 2006, 7:07 pm

Originally posted by Real

Gouldy, you must have not read anything I said.

I know why the rides were designed. Ive read almost everything I could find on John Wardley. John did most of the designing of all of those rides. B&M said "hey, we have this concept" and he said "Ok, This is what I want". John so much as had the entire layouts configured or in the very least a very rough sketch but a definitive idea with what he wanted.

JW isnt a slouch either. Thats why Nemesis is so intense - not because of B&M. Its the nature of a ride that small with so much crammed in.

But I already stated that I knew what each ride was designed for. If you think I dont, you are very mistaken. However, with that being said, I dont get much from flying coasters in general so theres nothing that can be said for Air that would make me go "OMG! I gotta ride it!" Other than for the credit. Sure its more "graceful" in movement than the SUF clones but really, they are equally smooth Im sure. Only difference obviously is height and intensity. But even still Ill go ride an Arrow Cork over a B&M flyer (well...Tatsu upsets that theory)

So what were you telling me? You say Air provides not much thrill. Isnt that what I said? :

As for Oblivion - again you just said what I said. Its essentially a drop ride made coaster. Frankly, I would feel less intimidated being able to see that I was heading into a hole. Plus just being on a coaster makes me feel safe. When you go up 300ft on an Intamin Gyro Drop you see nothing below you - just straight out. Plus, and Im not sure why, but theres something far more uneasy to being hauled up a huge pole into the air only to be released from it - OH but what a rush.

I knew you guys would get all hissy but I didnt think youd go this crazy. Its speculation from my end - not an actual analysis - duh. But I think its well deserved since Ive almost seen and read almost everything there is too read.

Plus I always tend to gravitate to opposite what everyone else does - so this shouldnt suprise you.

are you an imbosiel, you have not a clue about the alton rides. they are not just coasters like the crappy american ones. (no themeing built over a carpark shite) alton has many things to contend with such as the very stict noise order and the fact they cannot build over the tree hight, they cannot remove any of the gardens in the vally and there is a restriction order on parts of the park, such as where oblivion is must have a much lower noise than where air is.
also they put alot of thourgt into the rides themselves such as nemesis, where else can you find a coaster built 60 ft into solid rock. air i think is a very thrilling ride its not intence but that is not needed to create a thrilling ride so stop talking out of your ass and dont slag off rides you have never been on for gods sake.
plus gouldy oviesly read everthing you said and pointed out how much of a dumb ass you are because he is saying its not the build or the thill of the coaster but its the feeling. you bloody americans shurely dont understand this yet as you have not built anything like nemesis or oblivion. all it is with you lot is records, speed, height, distance never putting any thought into your rides.

dont be a dumb ass and agree with him when he dosent know what hes on about.

(btw this isnt ment to insult you, uits genral which means it includes you)

rant over
Making screams come true

Next

Return to General Theme Park Discussions