Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions uk theme parks

uk theme parks

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post March 5th, 2006, 7:12 pm

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

I agree with Coolbeans and JPE. Flamingo Land looks to be up and coming, especially if they get that woodie next year.

Post March 5th, 2006, 7:27 pm

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Whos the dumbass? Do you even know me? Obviously not.

Heres a few quotes for you - right from here or from other posts on this site:

From the Cedar Point thread:
Originally posted by Real
Hence why no matter what they get, unless its small, tight and intense itll be a complete let down. How can you go bigger than what they have and still be original and fun? They have height, they have speed.

Yet I find it odd that two of their rides that CONSISTANTLY come up as a #1 favourite among people I know, Raptor and Mantis, are under 150ft.

Was I praising a large coaster or condemning it? What coasters did I praise? Exactly.

Im amazed that you guys get so, so upset that I make some speculations. Is there some law in the UK that one cannot speculate on a subject or entity? You guys sure make it seem as such.

But I will take it as a personal attack because you obviously arent mature enough to respect another persons opinion. Have you ever made an opinion of a ride youve never ridden? Im sure you have - so you are in the same boat as me there cheif.

Before you go sounding off on something why not read the context.

I dont need to ride a ride to know what and how its going to do what its doing. Every ride I rode last year rode just how everyone said and how I expected with a few being far better and some being far worse. But on the average I was very close with my assumptions.

Also, let me remind you that you know nothing about American rides. Heres a few facts:

1. Very few parks are located in areas hilly enough to compare to the UK.
2. The parks that do feature amazing rides:
---Hershey Park - Storm Runner, Great Bear, etc.
---Dollywood - Thunderhead
---Holiday World - All the rides
---SFMM - Tatsu and others but excluding the rides on the flatter portion
---Dorney Park - Hydra, Talon, Steel Force
---Silver Dollar City - Wild Fire, Powder Keg
---Busch Gardens Williamsburg - All the rides
---Busch Gardens Tampa - All the rides (Themed but on flat Florida soil)
---Lake Compounce - Boulderdash

I could keep going. You must mistake the United States for Antartica or something because there are plenty of awesome parks with awesome rides that are themed, terrained or both. Thats just a sampling.

But of course, its cheaper to build a ride on flat ground so is building in general so most park owners choose flatter plots of land. Plus its easier on guests to walk on flat planes rather than up and down hills. With all the land in the US its no wonder most parks sit on flat peices of land.

Every time I re-read your post Im more inclined to even ask you if you know what www.rcdb.com is but I think you do. Its useful. Open it. Use it. Search all the rides I just listed.

And see how Ive been so much more civilized. Even after you completely stereotyped me without knowing I prefer smaller, most intense rides over large ones. Which could easily have been read multiple times over the past couple weeks in many threads.

Post March 5th, 2006, 8:20 pm

And just as a side note: I actually really want to go to Pleasureland for the crazy little rides they have there. The wooden spinning disc looks like a riot. Ever since I saw the Alveys video from there I was hooked.

And one last thing to note: I find joy in everything. Ive always looked forward to Alton Towers as it and Thorpe have always headed up my list. Ive just always wanted to ride more of the rides at TP than AT.

Post March 5th, 2006, 8:28 pm

I hope that comment wasn't towards me up there.

But I agree with you. BPPB looks crazy with all those rides intertwining. Since when has there been headchopeers on coaster lifts?

Post March 5th, 2006, 8:32 pm

Pleasureland - not Pleasure Beach ;)
http://www.themeparkreview.com/eco/sp/sp1.htm

But again, though most people from UK call BPPB a crap hole, they have the only steeplechase coaster in the world and lots of other very unique rides all in one place.

Post March 5th, 2006, 9:33 pm

Points on hand: 2,931.00 Points
2. The parks that do feature amazing rides:
---Hershey Park - Storm Runner, Great Bear, etc.
---Dollywood - Thunderhead
---Holiday World - All the rides
---SFMM - Tatsu and others but excluding the rides on the flatter portion
---Dorney Park - Hydra, Talon, Steel Force
---Silver Dollar City - Wild Fire, Powder Keg
---Busch Gardens Williamsburg - All the rides
---Busch Gardens Tampa - All the rides (Themed but on flat Florida soil)
---Lake Compounce - Boulderdash

YAY he said busch gardens williamsburg all the rides!! yea there great be jealous everyone [xx(]

Post March 5th, 2006, 9:49 pm

Pleasureland - not Pleasure Beach ;)
http://www.themeparkreview.com/eco/sp/sp1.htm

Thanks for pointing that out, I must have quickly read over that and not notice the "land" at the end.

And to CK, please stop saying things about BGW in every single post! It gets annoying.

For me it has to be Alton Towers because of the great variety, but it could be unseeded within the next 2 or 3 years easily.

Post March 6th, 2006, 11:32 am

Points on hand: 2,235.00 Points

I say 1st Alton Towers 2nd Thorpe Park and 3rd Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Post March 6th, 2006, 1:20 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,838.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Im amazed that you guys get so, so upset that I make some speculations. Is there some law in the UK that one cannot speculate on a subject or entity? You guys sure make it seem as such.

No, you speculated and we subsequently put down your theory, was that not the point of your speculation? It is perfectly fine to speculate, as long as you are ok with the fact that your speculation was wrong and you will get told so, by people who have actually been to these places.

Here's my speculation: Every single ride in America sucks ass and is properly wank [lol]. I know full well that's wrong, but I can say it under the bracket of a "speculation" and expect you not to say somehting in defence back to me? I think you might have something to say if I did say that [;)]

Post March 6th, 2006, 2:26 pm

Points on hand: 89.00 Points

Hmm I see people really go for Alton towers. I used to really like it coz they have good rides there and its a nice park, but it just doesnt work for me any more. I saw a program a year or 2 ago that rated it Britains number 1 WORST tourist attraction!!!! They had a family visit the park in summer and get 2 or 3 rides into a day. I would say I could work with a stratey to have a much more enjoyable day there and its good in the colder times of year, but still the summer queues are stupid and thats why although I live like 2-3 hours away I haven't been since air opened. Oblivion is fantastic though and I did an ERS on it once, and 7 goes in one hour didn't tire me. Most would disagree with me though due to the shortness.
I have 2 say I like Drayton Manor, for a nice day out, G-Force is a laugh if short and Apocolypse rocks with the floorless standing side.
I used to love Flamingo Land for the Schwarzkopfs and having that on my doorstep was great, shame bout that loss.
I like Thorpe Park. And I love Oakwood, coz of Megaphobia which is airtimetastic and I like their freindly, well kept, country feel. It has great potential.
But top for me is of course BPB where I go most often, and although im not big on the PMBO (besides its first drop), they have great, well maintained woodies, other novel rides, and a unparalelled 'sensory overload' atmosphere. the queues are always short and I always find it a more satisfying and enjoyable experience.
But then again Im probably wierd coz nobody's understood why I dislike AT to the point of avoiding it.

Post March 6th, 2006, 2:53 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

What do we learn from this? Don't go to Alton Towers in the summer the stupid gays, what did they think would happen? [lol]

How could you possibly list BPB as your favourite UK park as well? Even with the woodies there, that park is awful, there is more chavs there than there is at Alton Yowers for christs sake! and THAT is some achievement ... if achievement is the right word.

How can you possibly want to avoid AT as a coaster enthusiast as well? Wherever Nemesis is, enthusiasts should flock, surely? Even if the park was bad, which it isn't. By all means avoid AT during the summer, like all the rest of us "unidiotic" people, but to avoid it altogether? Alton Towers is undoubtedly the UK's best theme park, which is the reason for the problems that occur during the summer. Is it really up to the park if everyone decides they're going to go in summer and cram the park absoultely to the point of overflowing? Agreed it is annoying, which is why no one with any sense, goes during the summer. I honestly don't see how anyone could possibly hold the opinion you hold, but obviously you do so perhaps that's a misjudgement on my part but still! In terms of variety of rides, cleanliness (spelling heh), atmosphere, beauty, location, you name it, Alton Towers has it all... I honestly can't see how an enthusiast especially, could possibly have your opinion [confused].

That program you saw btw, was a government scheme to get more people to visit british heritage sites [;)] Even I have been in summer (hey, it was free, I wasn't going to say no) and I managed to get on 7 rides, so what they would have done to only get on 2 rides is well, beyond me. You would have to be trying to get on the least rides you possibly could for that to happen.

Post March 6th, 2006, 3:22 pm

Points on hand: 3,318.00 Points
Location: Kettering, England / Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

Something i learned about Alton Towers aswell and Nemesis in particular. No video or report can ever fully justify the ride/park. Before the first time i ever went to Alton Towers, i watched every video on Nemesis i could find on the internet (i honestly mean it) so I thought I knew what the ride would generaly be like. However, when I did get there, it was completly different. Everything was just different from any video, it just doesnt do the ride justice. You have to be physicaly standing there to truely appriecate the ride. From my point of view, and i've been to both parks at least 50 times, there isnt even any points for argument, Alton Towers is far better. Thorpe Park is just nowhere close to Alton, you really cant compare the two.

As for Blackpool...yeah...it's a shithole, don't get me wrong, i like the park alot. Just everything is falling down to be honest. They need to really tidy up the place. It's a mess

Post March 6th, 2006, 4:59 pm

Points on hand: 2,053.00 Points

Post March 6th, 2006, 4:59 pm

Points on hand: 2,053.00 Points

Post March 6th, 2006, 5:15 pm

Points on hand: 3,283.00 Points

Originally posted by Edge

Something i learned about Alton Towers aswell and Nemesis in particular. No video or report can ever fully justify the ride/park. Before the first time i ever went to Alton Towers, i watched every video on Nemesis i could find on the internet (i honestly mean it) so I thought I knew what the ride would generaly be like. However, when I did get there, it was completly different. Everything was just different from any video, it just doesnt do the ride justice. You have to be physicaly standing there to truely appriecate the ride. From my point of view, and i've been to both parks at least 50 times, there isnt even any points for argument, Alton Towers is far better. Thorpe Park is just nowhere close to Alton, you really cant compare the two.

As for Blackpool...yeah...it's a shithole, don't get me wrong, i like the park alot. Just everything is falling down to be honest. They need to really tidy up the place. It's a mess

Thats altons atmosphere for ya. I must admit they have the best atmosphere in any park ive visted before, far better than thorpes. Its because all the themed lands are tucked away, and you cant ee whats coming until you round the corner and see a ride in front ofyou. Like oblivion. Its hid away so well, you can hear it far before you can hear it, and the sudden visual impact where the train just disappears through the ground in front of you, is amazing! Then nemesis aswell, wih the continuous roaring of the train against the solid rock walls just makes the ride, along with the great music, and the screams with the train weaving in and out of eye sight and below ground level, no one seems to know where the train goes apart from a few of us enthusiasts who know the layout off by heart. And even then, when riding, you still manage to get a bit disorientated. At alton its all about the atmosphere for me. It cant be beaten by any UK park

Post March 6th, 2006, 6:20 pm

Originally posted by gouldy

No, you speculated and we subsequently put down your theory, was that not the point of your speculation? It is perfectly fine to speculate, as long as you are ok with the fact that your speculation was wrong and you will get told so, by people who have actually been to these places.

Here's my speculation: Every single ride in America sucks ass and is properly wank [lol]. I know full well that's wrong, but I can say it under the bracket of a "speculation" and expect you not to say somehting in defence back to me? I think you might have something to say if I did say that [;)]

Actually, you can think that. But what you say isnt fact - its opinion. Everything is opinion when it comes to what we think. What you like I may not. I know what I like and I dont have to actually ride a ride to know what its about or what its like.

I wouldnt expect you to believe anything I say about American rides or parks because - wait, oh my, maybe our likes and dislikes are different?

Im restraining from being entirely too sarcastic and cutting because really, all I did was say what I thought based the 100 rides ive ridden over here and you guys were extremely arrogent and rude. Not exactly the best way to have a conversation to convince me that AT is better than TP.

Post March 7th, 2006, 1:36 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

[lol] I wasn't rude was I? Or maybe I was, I dunno, I can't be arsed to go back and read what I said, others might have been rude however. I merely stated how the opinions of the majority of people over here, who have been to these parks, were different to your opinions, you being someone who hasn't been to these parks. I know you say "I know what I like and I dont have to actually ride a ride to know what its about or what its like.", but honestly, you don't. If you read Edge's post about Nemesis a little further up the page, you'll see what I'm talking about. The whole park is like that, it isn't like you imagine it to be from looking at videos, pictures, written word etc...

Basically, you stated your opinion and I stated that the majority of people here would disagree with your opinion. I wasn't getting rude or up tight or anything (others might have been though), you however are begining to take that tone IMO [lol].

Post March 7th, 2006, 2:06 pm

I wasnt rude [:)] I even told someone off FOR being rude [:P] I was just stating my opinion, but i accept yours aswell. Even if i didnt accept it, its your opinion, theres nothing we can do about it, so why get uptight? Was just having a debate [:)] [:p]

Gouldy you still havent visited FL yet have you? (i cant remember if it was you or someone else) I cant believe you missed those 2 beautiful schwarzkopfs!! Im sure once you go, you will rate it higher than you expected on your list. Well, thats judging with bullet and Magnum! Im not sure how i will rate it now with Kumali instead. Cant wait for that woody though, bring on 2007/2008 whenever they decide to build it, dueler or not..... [;)]

Post March 7th, 2006, 5:28 pm

Points on hand: 5,761.00 Points

im sorry but after reading some of my posts on here i guess i was kinda rude
sorry if i insulted you.

but in all fairness when real said "I dont have to actually ride a ride to know what its about or what its like."

yeah you can know what its all about befor hand but what it feels like? i dont think so. nemesis is comleatly diffrent to any other coaster out there, i dont know why but it just has a strange affect on everybody. oblivion as we all know is a crap layout and it looks crap but again when your heading up the lift hill it scares everybody. on the other end of the scale you've got Gforse at drayton manor which looks very forse ful but there is nothing in it whatsoever. so dont come with i know what its like when youve never been on it. thats total bull!!
Making screams come true

Post March 8th, 2006, 3:58 pm

Points on hand: 2,221.00 Points

Post March 9th, 2006, 7:50 am

Points on hand: 3,318.00 Points
Location: Kettering, England / Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

I'm going to change my vote and say Wicksteed Park is without doubt, the best park in the Uk!

Post March 9th, 2006, 8:50 am

Points on hand: 829.00 Points

Post March 9th, 2006, 12:32 pm

Points on hand: 2,593.00 Points
Real,
About Pleasureland Southport.
Ive been to that park definitely over 100 times and never seen a wooden spinning disc in the parks, unless your talking about the Spinning disk in the fun house in which 3 year olds sit on and it spin around until they slide off, < if thats the case, that is nothing to do with theme-parks at all and is just a case of peaodophilia[lol].

Yes they have crazy rides but dude, so dull.

Undisputedly Alton Towers is the best UK park in the history of.... erm.... EVER.
Ive been to TP and the pollution is just so heavy.
Flamingo Land was great when i went although The Bullet wasnt opperational but Magnum Force kicked ass. And now with velocity and Kumali it eats TP's ass for a long shot.
Fantasy Island was great apart from the cost, 2 great coasters and awesome flats its great.

I could go on with how good some UK parks are but it will take me weeks.
Ive been to every park in the UK (discluding wickstead + drayton manor) and i have to say AT is by far the best.
The first time i was entering the park via the mono-rail and looking at Nemesis blew me away. And riding it..... Dont get me started!!!
Without a doubtOblivion is the scariest ride Ever created. John Wardley is a genius, after the 48th time(my count) it still shits me up so bad its unbelievable.
Riding Corkscrew is an Honor to ride, its up there with the first few inverting coasters in the world and imo thats specail.

The theming is absolutely outstanding, so outstandind it cannot be captured on camera, walking through the towers with fires blazing to and fro, amazing.

I could go on and on and on and on with all the highs about alton towers.
Rita
Nemmy
Air
Spinball
Oblivion
Theming
Even Mcdonalds on cred street tastes so good.

It is just cannot be captured through video. Honestly!!!!!

If you ever get the oppertunity to go to to a UK park, pick AT please pick AT.
Too good to be missed!!!!
Ecg [:D]

Post March 9th, 2006, 12:53 pm

a doubtOblivion is the scariest ride Ever created. John Wardley is a genius, after the 48th time(my count) it still shits me up so bad its unbelievable.

Really? Im only on like my 25th time on Oblivion and it doesnt do anything for me anymore. I will glady skip it for rita and nemesis now. Nemesis on the other hand im on my 40 somethingth ride and i still find it great. Rita im on my 4th ride, and its been great every time so far. Corkscrew, blah, i hate it. Runaway mine train, YAY, the drop into the tunnel is awesome [:D] Am i the only one who thinks this about RMT? lol.

Post March 9th, 2006, 1:26 pm
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,053.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
RMT is great for the ride interaction between you and the rapids.

Shouting various things at other people whilst in the tunnel seems to have a satisfying effect!

I have to go on oblivion, just because i have every time i've been and i find it very appealing. Also i enjoy having arguments about wether it stops or not at the top with my mates :p

Rita was better than expected, I'm glad i destroyed my hopes before riding it, made it alot better!
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

PreviousNext

Return to General Theme Park Discussions