Board index Roller Coaster Games Hard Hat Area Valley View

Valley View

The Hard Hat Area is the place to post construction news about your ride, so this is the place to hype your future upload!

Post May 10th, 2005, 7:35 am

Points on hand: 2,685.00 Points

Well, here it is. The first screenshot from my first serious NL coaster project. I know it's not much to look at right now but for me this is a big step. I am so accustomed to Ultimate Ride Disney Coaster's builder you know. There will be more pics coming soon, and they will be posted here as well as at Mods To The Max where we now have a NL forum too.
My plan is to layout the track first and then tweak it with the banking/smoothing/etc. Then once the track is done I will add the support structure and refine that. I think that will be the hardest part for me. I've tinkered around with terraforming in the game before and I think that would be best left for the last part as well as the theming.
Last edited by Princess_G on May 10th, 2005, 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post May 10th, 2005, 9:58 am
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

Actually, smoothing is probably the hardest part of building a NL track. Terraforming takes a while with the new v1.5 setup, but constantly tweaking all of those control points in the editor for hours on end is really what eats you up.

BTW, good to see you finally taking the step up to NL... it was a shame seeing your UR coasters downloaded by like 5 people and completely unrated. NL is a tough community, though, so don't expect big things on your first upload.

Post May 10th, 2005, 10:35 am
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
prinsess G, contact me, I'd might can help you with some NL stuff. Or PM me when ur coming online on msn so we can talk over there. I've got some good usefull hints that starters sometimes really need to get a nice start in NL [:)]

Post May 10th, 2005, 7:18 pm

Originally posted by cjd

Actually, smoothing is probably the hardest part of building a NL track. Terraforming takes a while with the new v1.5 setup, but constantly tweaking all of those control points in the editor for hours on end is really what eats you up.

BTW, good to see you finally taking the step up to NL... it was a shame seeing your UR coasters downloaded by like 5 people and completely unrated. NL is a tough community, though, so don't expect big things on your first upload.

It's ok, I know UR is not big here at WWS. And I definitely don't expect high scores on this ride the first time out. I've seen how tough the NL crowd is. But I'm up for the challenge, after all, I've had this game for almost three years now and I've only made like one othe NL coaster which was mega-crap, lol. It's past time for me to get into this game and make some rides.

Oh and Dirk, I might not be on much tonight but perhaps we can chat tomorrow or this weekend? I work during the day and when I get home I'm usually dead on my feet though I do try to get online sometimes.[:)]

Post May 14th, 2005, 7:15 am

This is coming along but at a slow and steady pace. I've added a little more to it and it is starting to take shape. I love this new version of NL, I didn't even realize that you could terraform on the builder like this. Very cool! [;)]

Post May 14th, 2005, 7:27 am

Points on hand: 3,283.00 Points

Looks pretty nice so far. Good luck on your first major project for nolimits! [:D] I hope it goes well and we see more coasters from you.

Post May 14th, 2005, 7:34 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
i can see from here that that the top of the lift is to spaced, the train is on his slowest there so the top can easily be steeper
looks nice, hope u make a nice one out of it

Post May 14th, 2005, 8:39 am

Thanks guys. [:)] So I should make the top of that hill a bit steeper?

Post May 14th, 2005, 9:00 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

wel, not steeper, forgive me if explain it very badly
but it souldnt be that spaced...so the angle between the lift and drop can be very high a short, if you look at MF, its a 45deg lift with an 80deg drop. So the track makes a angle of 125deg on a very short piece of track, if you get what i mean....

Post May 14th, 2005, 9:11 am

Points on hand: 3,503.00 Points

Post May 14th, 2005, 9:13 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Post May 14th, 2005, 10:14 am

Ah, I see what you mean. It's too far apart at the base so bringing that in some would be better.

Post May 14th, 2005, 10:19 am

Oops, not the base, I meant the top.

EDIT: Here is the changed hill:

Post May 14th, 2005, 10:54 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

looks better, i don't know i its your intention but your drop should be steeper, this is like 50deg

Post May 14th, 2005, 12:42 pm

I try to stay around a 45-50 degre drop for my hills, any more would generate too much speed because I build with eight car trains.

Post May 14th, 2005, 1:26 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

k, doesn't matter that much, but hey, its your coaster...

Post May 14th, 2005, 1:47 pm
Kev True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 3,347.00 Points
Hey PG, good luck on your first NL coaster. You'll no doubt find it frustrating at first (we all did...some of us still do [:P]), but it gets easier with practice. One thing I notice from the screenshots is that your lift hill isn't straight. Many people will dock you for that, so you may want to fix it. PM me if you need assistance with making it straight.

Post May 22nd, 2005, 10:18 pm

Thanks Kev. I've changed the beginning of the ride because I didn't like how it started out. Here's a newer screenshot of it.

Post May 23rd, 2005, 2:37 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

eh, that lift doesn't seem straight, if it is straight then its the angle of the pic, but if it isn't: your lift should at least contain 3 segment: the lead in, a straight section, and the lead-out. only one segment is reely wrong and only a lead-in and lead-out is also bad.
btw, the lift seems very steep, what the angle?

Post May 23rd, 2005, 4:59 am

It's about 45 degrees I think. Must be the angle because I do have three pieces for my hill. Can a lift hill not be that steep or something?

Post May 23rd, 2005, 5:29 am

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

The steepness is fine, don't worry about that. [;)]

The problem with your lift is that even though it may have 3 segments, the middle section isn't a straight piece. To solve this, all you need to do is highlight the segment, and press "i". You'll see how it goes from the shape it is now into a perfectly straight segment.

Post May 23rd, 2005, 5:58 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Originally posted by Princess_G

It's about 45 degrees I think. Must be the angle because I do have three pieces for my hill. Can a lift hill not be that steep or something?

steepness is ok, but its close to the max, most realistic is between 30 and 25

Post May 23rd, 2005, 6:09 am

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

Max? How do you know what the max possible is?

BTW, Thunder Dolphin, same style coaster as this, has a 45 degree lift hill. I think MF has something like 40-42 but I'm not sure.

Post May 23rd, 2005, 8:09 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

is said realsitic, the max is 180deg, but the max.angle of a lift hill is about 45 deg

Post May 23rd, 2005, 8:54 am

Originally posted by IntaminFan397

The steepness is fine, don't worry about that. [;)]

The problem with your lift is that even though it may have 3 segments, the middle section isn't a straight piece. To solve this, all you need to do is highlight the segment, and press "i". You'll see how it goes from the shape it is now into a perfectly straight segment.

Thank you IntaminFan, I tried that and it really helped.[8D] Are there any other hotkeys that will be useful to know when building a coaster?

Next

Return to Hard Hat Area