Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Vekoma

Vekoma

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Vekoma

Yes, i like them
66%
No, i hate them
7%
A rollercoaster is a rollercoaster
21%
what the heck is vekoma?
7%

Total votes : 29

Post April 6th, 2004, 7:47 pm

Points on hand: 3,604.00 Points

My park is Sixflags over Georgia, and i just came back after riding the Ninja, a steel vekoma coaster with 5 inversions. Everyone has warned me that it was an extremely rough ride and you would come off with a headache. Well, i rode it and i LOVED it, maybe its because i am tall, but my friends rode it with me and they said despite the head bumping its awesome. I admit, its a tad rough, but nothing like i imagined. We rode it 3 times, once when we got there and 2 times before we left. Anyway, do you guys like vekoma coasters, or are they too rough?

Post April 6th, 2004, 8:22 pm

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

I love Vekoma coasters, they're intense and exciting...anybody who complains that they're too rough simply cannot handle the intensity of them.

Post April 6th, 2004, 8:39 pm

Points on hand: 4,847.00 Points
Yep, I like them,too. They are a bit rough, but they don't bother me. And that new track style they have will sure just make them better.

Post April 6th, 2004, 8:50 pm

Points on hand: 2,083.00 Points

there O.K. but i hate there boomarang coasters, but most of them are good

P.S. i voted for 'what the heck is vekoma' just for laughs[lol]

Post April 6th, 2004, 8:54 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,833.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

I think they are fine, nothing wrong with them, a coaster is a coaster. No matter who its made by, how rough it is, or which way round you ride it, lol. I like all coasters (except crap boring ones).

Post April 6th, 2004, 9:09 pm

and i bet drachen fire wasnt all that rough either

Post April 6th, 2004, 10:44 pm

Points on hand: 1,434.00 Points

LOL rctycoon. I like them, they are thrilling, intense, and all that other good stuff, but some of them are so rough. If they weren't rough, they would be soo cool.

Post April 6th, 2004, 11:03 pm

has anyone here ridden drachen fire, if so, was it really that bad, or did they tear it down for nothing?

Post April 6th, 2004, 11:06 pm

Originally posted by 38801xlr8

LOL rctycoon. I like them, they are thrilling, intense, and all that other good stuff, but some of them are so rough. If they weren't rough, they would be soo cool.

sorry about the double post, but its off topic so it doenst matter really, but the Ninja, at my park, to image the way it looks when you ride it, take a video camera or digital camera, look into the view finder and shake it up and down really fast. Thats what things look like when you ride it, sooooooooo awesome!

Post April 7th, 2004, 1:29 am

Points on hand: 3,816.00 Points

They're fun...though overly cloned. The only one that was actualy smooth was Invertigo @ PGA. They do kinda give head aches while giving good rides.

Post April 7th, 2004, 5:24 pm

Hey rcttycoon, I also rode on the on Ninja at SFOG. It is pretty awesome.

Post April 7th, 2004, 5:25 pm

Originally posted by Angry_Gumball

They're fun...though overly cloned. The only one that was actualy smooth was Invertigo @ PGA. They do kinda give head aches while giving good rides.

Isn't rock 'n' roller coaster smooth? (sorry for double post)

Post April 7th, 2004, 7:48 pm

yeah, i was going to say that too, but i think he means for vekoma SLC's or bommerrangs, which ever

Post April 7th, 2004, 10:33 pm

Oh. Rock 'n' roller coaster is a clone also. It's a LSM bowl isn't it? When I heard that rock 'n' roller coaster was smooth, I wanted to ride on it. I bet it's awesome.

Post April 7th, 2004, 11:52 pm

Points on hand: 5,840.00 Points
Originally posted by 38801xlr8

Oh. Rock 'n' roller coaster is a clone also. It's a LSM bowl isn't it? When I heard that rock 'n' roller coaster was smooth, I wanted to ride on it. I bet it's awesome.

Well Rock n' Rollercoaster isn't that smooth but it's still really good. I love Vekoma though, they make some great coasters. The Sea Serpent and the Great Nor' Easter at Morey's Piers in Wildwood, NJ are two really good Vekomas...despite being a Boomerang and an SLC. Sea Serpent is really smooth though and Great Nor' Easter is the only SLC I've seen that has other rides (log flume, waterslides, etc) going through the inversions and turns.

Post April 8th, 2004, 12:11 am

Points on hand: 4,230.00 Points
vekoma certainly has a lot of great rides, like rockin' roller coaster [:)] but i hate their slc's some are great, but most are painful. i also hate their boomerangs.. they hurt too. i however, i think that if they had better restraints, NOT ots, then they'd be great.

also, drachen fire was an arrow ride, not vekoma. it wasnt that rough, but it did have its rough spots. busch gardens retracked and re-modeled that ride a bunch of times and it was closed so much that it wasnt making any profit, so they got rid of it.

Post April 8th, 2004, 1:15 am

I've always wondered...what makes them rough to begin with?

Post April 8th, 2004, 12:50 pm

Originally posted by Angry_Gumball

I've always wondered...what makes them rough to begin with?

I've read so much on that, one says its because of the way the track is designed and the way the wheels have to be arragned for it, the side friction wheels are on the inside, unlike B&M, which is said to allow for the train for slight side to side movement. Others just say that doesnt matter, they are just poorly designed. Also, to some, the restraint system may add to the roughness.

Post April 8th, 2004, 5:45 pm

the restraint system does add a lot to the roughness. well, not really, they have the same amount of bumps, but without the ots restrains, you feel it less. its like the outer limits ride with the ots restraints, then it got soo much smoother when they added lap bars. also, track style and support style adds to it too because certain designs absorb the loads better, making for a smoother ride. and probably the biggest factor is the engineering. they could just send a vekoma track to a b&m designer and it would probably be just as smooth as any other b&m ride. oh, and also, b&m has wider trains, making the transitions smoother because they are just naturally bigger, and less intense for the inner seats.

the wheel position does have some stuff to do with it too, but nt too much. if all the wheels are locked on the track, then it will be smoother. but on most vekoma rides, there is about 1/2 an inch between upstop wheels and track, making for the ride to be just slightly bumpier.

Post April 8th, 2004, 6:10 pm

Yea, as an example, on Mr. Freeze, before they let lap bars it sucked. The headbanging was soo bad. Now it is so smooth and you get hangtime going backwards in the top hat.

Post April 9th, 2004, 1:32 am

Why wouldn't they start designing their loopers with lap bars...the roughness would make it more fun. My complaint is hitting heads on the harnesses.

Post April 9th, 2004, 1:37 am

i think that the shoulder restraints should just be eliminated all together on costers. except for rides like stealth. now a floorless coaster with a lap-bar... that'll really feel like flying! [:)]

Post April 9th, 2004, 2:06 am

Post April 9th, 2004, 9:39 am

FYI...were talking about lapbars on steel roller coasters. Not woodies that already have them. Anyway, I bet that really would be cool to have most steelies with lapbars. Also, you couldn't have them on standup coaster could you?

Post April 9th, 2004, 2:37 pm

I wasn't talking about a woodie with lapbars, I was saying something in reply to coaster992001's post. BTW Phoenix has buzzbars not lapbars.

Next

Return to General Theme Park Discussions