Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Voyage Timberliners

Voyage Timberliners

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post November 9th, 2009, 4:09 pm

Points on hand: 2,066.00 Points
Like I have predicted and hoped for... Holiday World has bought some new trains for the Voyage. Luckily I rode it with the current PTC trains... and I will hopefully go back and try these babies out. =p

Following is the complete article with images:
??????VOYAGE?????? ENGINEERS DESIGN NEW COASTER TRAINS

SANTA CLAUS, IN-----The #1 Wooden Roller Coaster in the World will feel faster and a lot smoother in 2010, thanks to a new set of trains, engineered by the same team who designed the record-breaking coaster.

??????When the engineers at The Gravity Group told us they designed Timberliner trains with The Voyage in mind, they definitely got our attention?????? says Holiday World & Splashin' Safari president Will Koch. "The Voyage is extreme and we want to keep it that way season after season. These new trains will help a lot."

Koch says the Timberliner??????s wheels are engineered to steer through curves as they move along the coaster track, creating a smoother ride and less wear and tear on the track. The seats are ergonomically designed for greater comfort, including an exclusive seat-suspension design. The padded seats will also accommodate wider-hipped and longer-legged riders.

"Since the trains will 'track' better, riders will experience a much smoother Voyage," says Koch. "That also means there will be less 'rolling friction,' so the ride will quite possibly be even faster when it reopens in May." The Gravity Group's engineers tested a prototype Timberliner at Holiday World last spring.

The Voyage is 1.2 miles long and provides a record 24.2 seconds of "air time." This steel-structure wooden coaster, ranked the #1 Wooden Coaster in the World by Amusement Today for three years running, includes a record five underground tunnels (some are double, creating eight "underground moments"), a series of dramatic drops (including a 66-degree angle of descent on the first drop), three 90-degree banked turns, and multiple track crossovers.

The Voyage's two new trains, which will each seat 28 riders, will be manufactured in Indianapolis. The Gravity Group is headquartered in Cincinnati.

Source: http://holidayworld.com/node/3071

Post November 9th, 2009, 5:09 pm

Points on hand: 4,765.00 Points

Post November 9th, 2009, 5:10 pm

Points on hand: 962.00 Points

Post November 9th, 2009, 5:17 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
ugly...if they'd atleast copied the millennium flyers althougether, they would like cool too. Now this looks like something that floats in a public restroom.

Post November 9th, 2009, 5:19 pm

Originally posted by guitfiddle

^ew?

They look awful and I doubt they'll track "loose" which means it's going to lose a lot of its intensity. The shuffling was the only thing keeping it from being a B&M coaster....now that will be gone.

Hopefully it will fall down in the polls a bit so Boulder Dash can overtake it like it deserves to. :)

Post November 9th, 2009, 5:19 pm

Points on hand: 5,761.00 Points

the only way to discribe those trains is FUGLY.
Making screams come true

Post November 9th, 2009, 5:27 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Yeah I agree with gazag they totally remind me of Lewis13's mother
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post November 9th, 2009, 5:37 pm

Points on hand: 50.00 Points
^ burn.

They ain't pretty, they kinda remind me of X-Cars, but more ew.
[19:47:28] rcking04: /smoke bong through wrong end

Post November 9th, 2009, 5:46 pm

Points on hand: 5,889.00 Points
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to go to Holiday World next year!!!!!!!!!!!
American Eagle Lover

Post November 9th, 2009, 6:00 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,833.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. So they took X-Car restraints (awful) and shoved them on what looks to be some child toy type thing?

Yack!

Aren't wooden coaster restraintes meant to be fairly loose? Surely that's one of the things on the list of thrilling elements of a wooden coaster. Being able to move around the car a lot is important!

Post November 9th, 2009, 6:03 pm

Points on hand: 1,075.00 Points
Ewwwwwwwww..... Those trains are DISGUSTING, but i suppose if they ride better it's for the greater good.

Post November 9th, 2009, 6:04 pm

Aren't wooden coaster restraintes meant to be fairly loose? Surely that's one of the things on the list of thrilling elements of a wooden coaster. Being able to move around the car a lot is important!

At every park but Holiday World, yeah.

Post November 9th, 2009, 6:16 pm

Points on hand: 155.00 Points
1 Awesome, been wondering when these timberliners would appear

2 I dunno what is with that cowling at the front.

3 What is keeping the front from hitting the middle of the track?

4 I wonder who's gonna make the first launched coaster :p

Post November 9th, 2009, 6:27 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,115.00 Points

Post November 9th, 2009, 6:27 pm

Points on hand: 2,219.00 Points

Originally posted by Coasterkidmwm

Yeah I agree with gazag they totally remind me of Lewis13's mother

I knew you were my father.

Post November 9th, 2009, 6:29 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
Pretty soon a wooden roller coaster will be a steel roller coaster with wooden supports.

A mine train.

Post November 9th, 2009, 6:47 pm
AyTrane Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,132.00 Points
Originally posted by blythy

What is keeping the front from hitting the middle of the track?

Most likely, there is a set of wheels that attach to the front of the train, and are not displayed in the rendering.

Post November 9th, 2009, 6:50 pm

Points on hand: 155.00 Points
Originally posted by GerstlCrazy

Pretty soon a wooden roller coaster will be a steel roller coaster with wooden supports.

A mine train.

Better wooden trains means better wooden coasters - faster, longer etc. Also means that the track will be able to take more, so greater forces etc. And these trains can do stuff like be launched. And that is gonna be something damn cool to see.

Post November 9th, 2009, 7:05 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

^ no it means an era of generic CRAP full of "-er" and "-est" rides that'll be complete sh!t aside from the initial novelty .

Post November 9th, 2009, 7:06 pm

No, it isn't. Wood coasters are fun because they're primitive, not because they're technologically advanced. Trains shuffling and fighting their way through the tracks is fun in itself - don't need gimmicks like launches and higher forces.

Post November 9th, 2009, 7:28 pm

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
Wood coasters don't have to be fun because they're primitive...Check any poll to see that.

Post November 9th, 2009, 7:31 pm

Points on hand: 664.00 Points
Are you supposed to hold onto those loops on the sides of the seat?

Post November 9th, 2009, 7:36 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Post November 9th, 2009, 7:38 pm

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
I read that Lake Compounce was considering installing Timberliners on Boulder Dash for the 2010 season, but decided against it and instead will be purchasing wooden trains from Gerstlauer.

Post November 9th, 2009, 8:08 pm

Points on hand: 1,505.00 Points
omg what is up with this. isnt a wooden coaster supposed to be a ROUGH ride? thats what makes them fun. STOP DESTROYING WOODEN COASTERS! they are better off the way they are,especially texas giant.

"the only way to discribe those trains is FUGLY." well said gazag!

Next

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!