Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Whats wrong with Silver Star?

Whats wrong with Silver Star?

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post August 19th, 2012, 10:17 am

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points
I have heard nothing but terrible things about this coaster and it doesn't make sense to me. After disregarding it for so long because of all the bad reviews I finally watched a POV and it seems like a really cool ride! Somebody please enlighten me..

Post August 19th, 2012, 11:30 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
It's probably weak. I haven't been on it so I don't know. Perhaps it's trim brake happy? I wouldn't be surprised if it's weak given Raging Bull is also accused of that and it's in my home park. There are days where that ride is totally worthless unless you ride it in the back seat down the first drop.

Then again GCI's are weak as hell and people love them so I don't really understand the logic behind it either.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post August 19th, 2012, 11:42 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,833.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

I've often heard bad things, too, but have never ridden it either so couldn't really comment myself. But I have always found myself slightly confused when people have said that it's not very good. Although when you watch a POV, like CK said, it does look as if it could be a little trim happy...

Post August 19th, 2012, 12:23 pm

Points on hand: 5,394.00 Points
Bank: 1,660.00 Points
I agree it's trimmed a tad excessively, but you still get that nice floater air B&M Megas/Hypers are known for...
Oh, were you expecting something here?

Post August 19th, 2012, 3:06 pm

Points on hand: 542.00 Points
I was on the ride a few years ago, so I don't remember a lot. I do remember thinking it was an standard B&M coaster. I wouldn't say it's bad; it's just like any other B&M coaster.
Progressive Rock Band "Castles"
http://castlesnj.bandcamp.com/

Post August 19th, 2012, 4:19 pm
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

It looks weak compared to other B&M hypers. The drop isn't as steep, the turns aren't as sharp, and I can tell that there's a serious lack of positive g's compared to, say, "Nitro." Plus the layout really isn't very interesting. And I'm not much of a fan of B&M hypers as it is, so I can see where people are coming from.

Post August 19th, 2012, 4:32 pm
A.S.C. User avatar
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Points on hand: 59.00 Points
Bank: 1,276.00 Points
It does look weak, but I wouldn't say it's necessarily bad.

Post August 19th, 2012, 4:57 pm

Points on hand: 5,394.00 Points
Bank: 1,660.00 Points
Among in its class, Silver Star is probably among the weakest performers... I would imagine that Nitro and Apollo would be among the top.
Oh, were you expecting something here?

Post August 19th, 2012, 5:40 pm

Points on hand: 201.00 Points
So here I am...

First of all: Silverstar is my favourite rollercoaster so my review on it will be pretty much positive.

I've rode Silverstar now 71 times^^ because the Europa Park is my homepark (1 hour drive with my car)

Silverstar actually gives pretty decent airtime. The 3 big airtimehills give a nice floater in the middle of the train and the front and back rows give you something around -0.2g at most. There actually is a lack of postive g's like cjd said...the drop has about 4g at the bottom and the other valleys just have about 2.5 to 3.5g maximum. If you ride it in the back you get some really nice airtime on the 1st drop and on the drop from the mcbr (I'd say about -0.5g). So it's not really an intense ride (but not much less intense than other B&M's)...I guess Silverstar is designed to be a little less intense so it fits in the family orientated EP. Another point why Silverstar is designed differently from other B&M's is because it was designed by Mack collaborating with B&M. It's not an extreme thrillride in my eyes...it's more like a familycoaster (see Mack's Blue Fire)

Another point why it looks slow and less intense is because of the spinesize. The spine is much thicker than on any other B&M-Hyper which makes the coaster look smaller and slower than it actually is. (I guess the point here was: thicker spine = less supports)

reference picture:

You have to keep in mind that it's the 3rd highes B&M ever build for now (only Shambhala and Leviathan are higher)

I also have to say that in all those years Silverstar has operated it got pretty rough for a b&m (I think it's fun to ride it now with all those small bumps) I first rode it one week after the opening in 2002 and it was really, really smooth back then but now it got many small bumps on the transitions and in the valleys but I's still rideable^^

The trims actually are funkillers because they are NOW really taking out much of the speed. Some years ago before the soundproofing wall was added to the drop the trims didn't do anything (I think they were turned off). Some riders complained about the intensity and the trims were turned on. But then again some complained that the trims (originally normal brake clamps) would hurt so EP took them off and replaced them with magnetic brakes which brake down softer. With those magnetic trims Silverstar got really slow just crawling over the hills giving floater airtime...so = no more nice airtime on every hill [:(]

But I have to say it's still fun to ride it after 71 times. Silverstar is a nice coaster...not really intense but still worth riding for everyone. It was an awesome ride some years ago and it's still a pretty good one right now [:D]

The Mercedes theming is also done pretty well and it's a cool looking ride with this black and silver. It also fits pretty well to EP's skyline (Eurosat in silver, the mirrors of Euromir and the huge parabolic antenna in Silverstars background are looking really cool

PS: to see how it looked on opening day:

- Ibanez [:D]

Post August 19th, 2012, 5:45 pm
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
For me having ridden a nice collection of B&M Mega Coasters around the world. (8 to be exact.) I can say that Silver Star is the least B&M Hyper that I've ridden up to date. But it's in my opinion far from bad or terrible. It still provides the typical B&M floater as sensation over all the hills. Also there are some nice G's in the helix and the final twisty bit.

I can also understand where it would come from. This is the only B&M Mega coaster in a pretty big area. Apart from that there is a nice collection on intenser Intamin Hypers, that provide stronger G's as airtime. So I guess people don't like the ride because they would expect a lot stronger airtime on this ride, because they have only experienced the stronger type of airtime. So they are being let down by B&M's constant floaters and since that's pretty much the only thing Silver Star does, it would end up being marked as a bad ride...
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post August 20th, 2012, 4:55 am
Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

I rode it a week ago. Trim happy when I went...
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post August 20th, 2012, 8:19 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Also we need to keep in mind that if it makes the park guests happy and is reliable, it is a huge success generally. Nowadays if you're a park and you want a people sucker, you buy a B+M, but not the flying design obviously lol.

I mean there is no way in hell any of the Morgan hypers besides Phantom are better than this, and it's probably more entertaining than Raging Bull.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post August 20th, 2012, 9:37 am

Points on hand: 686.00 Points
This may be a bit off- topic, but I think its the same idea.
I feel like I remember people saying a lot of negative things about Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit. I rode it earlier this month and it is one of my favorite roller coasters now. Great positive G's, unique layout and overall fun ride. So why don't some people like it as much as I did?

Post August 20th, 2012, 11:05 am

Points on hand: 1,464.00 Points
As said IbanezCoaster, it's actually a big family coaster. Impressive from the outside, gentle from the inside :)

Post August 20th, 2012, 1:22 pm

Points on hand: 136.00 Points

Coaster enthusiasts expect an intense mega coaster and instead get a great family ride. Some leave disappointed, I myself was still pleasantly surprised.

8/10 would reride over and over again.

Post August 20th, 2012, 4:12 pm
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
Originally posted by Coasterkidmwm

and it's probably more entertaining than Raging Bull.

Raging Bull just won over Silver Star to me. But it could be that RB's operations have become rubbish over time...
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post August 20th, 2012, 7:06 pm

Points on hand: 2,232.00 Points
I rode it and honestly that's a nice aerial journey.. =)
Quite impressing outside, quite impressing on the lift, but not too many forces once on the layout. For me at least, that's not a bad thing! How can people can find a coaster "boring"?! (beside kiddies and jet-coasters as well...)

I didn't feel the trim's to be that bad, I enjoyed my rides.

Ok, since I rode Shambhala, the drop of Sista looks flat. ;p

So nothing wrong from it, only people expecting too much.

Post August 21st, 2012, 10:05 am
thrillsentertainment Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Points on hand: 1,028.00 Points
I remember not liking Diamondback the first time I rode it with A.S.C., on a hot sluggish day in the sun, mid-summer. It was alright but I wasn't impressed. After, Alex and everybody had told me it was incredible I was a bit let down and I didn't know why exactly. A couple months later I went down for Haunt, however, and Alex and I skipped DB during the day, and hopped on late at night, with all the lights and fog surrounding the coaster, and it was very chilly too with a light drizzle. We crested the lift, and from that point it was absolutely incredible and a major what the hell moment. It was like we were diving through clouds at high speeds, and I was thrown so far from my seat on every hill that I was in shock. No ride on it since has topped that, but every ride since has been amazing. So my point is, that circumstances can come into play as well.

Post August 21st, 2012, 11:11 am

Points on hand: 235.00 Points
Originally posted by thrillsentertainment

I remember not liking Diamondback the first time I rode it with A.S.C., on a hot sluggish day in the sun, mid-summer. It was alright but I wasn't impressed. After, Alex and everybody had told me it was incredible I was a bit let down and I didn't know why exactly. A couple months later I went down for Haunt, however, and Alex and I skipped DB during the day, and hopped on late at night, with all the lights and fog surrounding the coaster, and it was very chilly too with a light drizzle. We crested the lift, and from that point it was absolutely incredible and a major what the hell moment. It was like we were diving through clouds at high speeds, and I was thrown so far from my seat on every hill that I was in shock. No ride on it since has topped that, but every ride since has been amazing. So my point is, that circumstances can come into play as well.

I had that same experience on intimidator at kings dominion, it was about 12pm. It was awesome.
You expecting something not being here?

Post August 21st, 2012, 12:01 pm
A.S.C. User avatar
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Points on hand: 59.00 Points
Bank: 1,276.00 Points
Diamondback was giving some sweet ejector in the middle cars just a few days ago, very sunny day and mild temperatures.

Post August 22nd, 2012, 5:24 pm

Points on hand: 421.00 Points
Bank: 2,954.10 Points
Originally posted by thrillsentertainment

The reason why Silver Star stinks is due to the mild temperatures in Germany. when you look at all the other hypers, they are all in varied climates. Maybe due to the lack of extreme temperatures year round is not allowing the track to be worn down usually like with other coasters
A big drop is a good drop.

Post August 22nd, 2012, 9:46 pm

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
I don't think that's the case. Most B&Ms seem to be pretty consistent in performance from when they open until years later. I haven't noticed any big difference in Nitro, and I've ridden that many times between opening day and a month ago.

Post August 23rd, 2012, 5:27 am

Points on hand: 5,657.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
I hope the ride isn't as low quality as the theme song

[19:34:14] RideWarriorNation: jim
[19:34:27] RideWarriorNation: can you pls change sig
[19:35:22] Jcoasters: ok
[19:35:39] RideWarriorNation: ty

Post August 23rd, 2012, 5:11 pm

Points on hand: 201.00 Points
dude that song was made back in 2001 so chill^^

And I also want to say that I once had a great experience on silverstar too

@ the Halloween Horror Nights @ EP in 2009...I rode Silverstar in the night (11:30 PM) with some heavy fog...you could barely see 100ft. the only things you saw were the blue lights which were mounted on the hills! I'll never forget that ride!

Return to General Theme Park Discussions