Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park Employment Why Should/Shouldn't I Work At......

Why Should/Shouldn't I Work At......

This category is for all theme park employees, past, present, and future.

Post January 28th, 2014, 8:07 pm
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 44.00 Points
Bank: 4,333.00 Points
*sweeps away forum dust* *coughs because of so much dust*

So, with the 2014 season fast approaching, and the fast that this forums is otherwise dead. I figures why not do a "Should I or Shouldn't I" kind of topic only about working at the parks. Hopefully we have members working for Six Flags, Cedar Fair, and the others on here who can answer questions but not go out of their way to damage a certain chains image since they are doing it to themselves enough all ready....

So go ahead and ask. Those of us who work or have worked will hopefully try to answer based on their experiences.

Post January 28th, 2014, 8:32 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points
Should I apply at Dorney next year knowing that all I want to do is be a ride op for one of the major coasters?

Post January 28th, 2014, 8:58 pm

Points on hand: 6,575.00 Points

Assuming that all Cedar Fair parks are similar, you don't get to choose your ride location (you may ask but may not be granted). Also, I've worked every scale of rides at Cedar Point, and I can honestly say you'll enjoy yourself at any location, as long as you have a great crew.

My Credentials at Cedar Point:
--2008--
-Wildcat (contracted)
-Demon Drop
-Gemini
-Giant Wheel Triangle (Giant Wheel, Troika and Space Spiral)
-Matterhorn Triangle (Matterhorn, Dodgems and Scrambler)
-Millennium Force
-Wicked Twister

--2009--
-Assistant Team Leader of maXair

--2010--
-Team Leader of Blue Streak

--2011--
-Team Leader of Kiddy Kingdom
-Sky Ride (Break Help)

--2012--
-Team Leader of Corkscrew and Super Himalaya

--2013--
-Gatekeeper
-Live Entertainment: Beach Band Show Captain
-Live Entertainment Halloweekends: Gypsy, Parade and Barker at CarnEVIL

--2014--
-Marketing (February to early June)
-Live Entertainment: Beach Band Show Captain (June to August)
Cedar Point
2008-2015
--2015--
Beach Band- June-August
https://www.facebook.com/TrumpetDMR

Post January 28th, 2014, 9:20 pm
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

Originally posted by TTD03

Should I apply at Dorney next year knowing that all I want to do is be a ride op for one of the major coasters?

From experience at Dorney. You cant be granted a certain ride. however as coasterdave said you can ask for one.

My history with Dorney Park

Talon (Main Ride)
Steel Force
White Water Landing
Wild Mouse
Thunder Canyon
Hang Time
Scremin Swing
Waveswinger
Antique Carousel
Possessed

Asst Team Lead for Meteor Group (Meteor, Ballon Race-defunct)
Hydra
Music Group (Mucik Express, Tilt-A-Wirl, Enterprise)
Thunder Creek Mtn.
Camp Snoopy
Some minor Park Services stuff

Team Lead for the Ferris Wheel Group (Ferris Wheel, Chance Carousel, Enterprise, Sea Dragon, Antique Carousel)
Planet Snoopy

Team Lead for the Ferris Wheel Group (Ferris Wheel, Antique Carousel, Chance Carousel)
Talon
Planet Snoopy
Hang Time Group (Hang Time, Scremig Swing, Waveswinger)
Wild Mouse

Park Services Team Lead

2014 Park Services Area Supervisor

As you can see, rides change groups from season to season. You will have a lot of fun no matter what ride you get so long as you work with the crew and keep our (Cedar Fair) cornerstones in forethought.

Be ready to be "flexed" if you sign up for it and if not be prepared to be asked to be flexed. Also keep in mind that you might be transferred to other rides and/or Park Services at any point in the day to help out. As one of the Areas in Park Services you will run into me eventually at some point during the season.

Also, if you want to give it a shot you should apply right now. Keep in mind that the staff for the main rides tends to get chosen first so if you want a coaster or other major ride, get your application in and impress your interviewer.

Good luck TTD03 and have a fun season.

PS: If you want PM me about what to expect working at Dorney.

Post January 28th, 2014, 9:35 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Thanks for the detailed replies.
What exactly happens when you are "flexed"?
I know I can't work at Dorney this year, because of summer plans, but next year I should be able too.
When does hiring begin? I know at CP its around January, assuming its probably the same for Dorney?

And on a side note, if I had to work the Carousel, I'd shoot myself, I could not stand listening to that music for hours at a time lol.
I'd rather listen to Steel Force's Harlem Shake, which is god awful also.
If you have any say in that kind of stuff, tell them to kill it, the musical instructions are terrible and Harlem Shake is so old now.

Post January 29th, 2014, 12:35 am
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

I hear you about the spiels in the ride stations. I cant say for sure but I think they are gone. Dorney begins hiring in January for Supervisors but most seasonal employees get hired in February. Keep in mind that hiring continues throughout the season so if you want to apply for working in the final months of this year, you can.

Non-flex - You have set hours. We can ask you to stay but cant force you to.
Flex - You sell yourself to the park and need to stay if requested. You get about $.15 extra per hour being flex.

Post January 29th, 2014, 1:02 am

Cedar Point doesn't have that. On your first day with Park Operations, you sign a ton of documents. One of which say that your shift may change at any time.
Cedar Point
2008-2015
--2015--
Beach Band- June-August

Post January 29th, 2014, 2:26 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

I'm glad the station spiels will most likely be leaving. Steel Force's was terrible, Wild Mouse's was not bad, and I actually liked Stinger's Station Spiel/Music. Do you know if that station spiel/music will be staying? It's kinda been the trademark of the station since the ride opened 2 years ago [:D]!

Is the .15 cents extra per hour for all hours of your shift? Or is the extra .15 cents per hour just for the extra hours you are staying.
Does it add up over time?
I know it does add up over time but does it add up to a substancial amount over time?

Post January 29th, 2014, 11:17 pm
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

^ Remember, I cant say 100% that those spiels are staying or going. Dont know about Stinger's music either.

It may or may not be more then $.15 an hour but yes, all hours you work get the extra income. As far as adding up over time, say a non-flex employee works 35 hours for two weeks and gets about $6.50 per hour, they would earn about $455.00 before taxes. Say a non-flex employee works 35 hours for two weeks and they get $.15 less so their check is about $444.50 before taxes.

If you get about 10 checks in a full season, minus trainings:

Non-flex earns about $4445.00 a season before the bonus.
Flex earns about $4550.00 a season before the bonus.

Keep in mind that is strictly an example. Your rates will differ with experience, hours worked, and other factors.

In addition, all hours worked result in a $.50 bonus until Labor Day. Then you hourly bonus goes to $1.00 an hour. Keep in mind that you only get your bonus if you complete your contract.

Post January 30th, 2014, 1:18 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Post January 30th, 2014, 2:25 am

Points on hand: 94.00 Points
Working at a theme park can be fun, you get to learn a lot of cool things and at first it's a coaster enthusiast's wet dream. Over time though it becomes just like any other summer job, but with a lot of politics for some reason. That and everyone shacks up with everyone else, kinda odd but that's what I've seen. Hell, my girlfriend of almost 5 years now was a result of working at a theme park. Just don't brown nose, play it cool, be humble, don't be an asshole and stay out of the politics and rumor mill and you'll do fine.

My credentials at Silverwood Theme Park
--2008--
- Aftershock (Deja Vu) opening crew
- Tremors
- Timber Terror
- Corkscrew
- Tiny Toot
- Panic Plunge
- Elephants
- Bumper Boats
- Thunder Canyon (load station)
- Super Roundup
- Trabant
- Roaring Creek Log Flume (lift attendant)

--2009--
All above attractions and:
- Aftershock Senior Lead Operator (think supervisor for ride, but without the title)
- Scarywood setup and teardown, did electrical, lighting and sound wiring, prop building and placement, d?????????cor, ect.
- Scareactor for Scarywood on the Zombiewood Express train ride.

--2010--
- Silverwood Rides Department Trainer, trained to operate all rides and attractions in the park, qualified to train operators in the instruction of said rides and attractions.
- Promoted to Senior Lead Ride Operator in July, tasked with more responsibilities.
- Assisted park's maintenance department with wooden coaster rebuilding (learned how to repair joints and bents, track, ect, helped rebuild Timber Terror's helix)
- Returned for Scarywood maze and attraction setup and teardown (see above year for details)
- Assisted park's maintenance crew with plumbing setup in field across the street from the park.

--2011--
- Senior Ride Trainer / Supervisor (pretty much one step below being an official supervisor), see above year for prior responsibilities and duties, did scheduling, sat in on hiring and helped assess potential new hires. Lead morning department meetings.
- Continued park maintenance work, assisting with coaster repair on rides such as Timber Terror, Tremors, Corkscrew and Aftershock.
- Scarywood setup.
- Assisted park's maintenance crew with plumbing setup in field across the street from the park.

Post January 30th, 2014, 11:14 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

It seems like all of you have gotten promoted at some time or another, how long did it take you before you got promoted?

Post January 30th, 2014, 2:09 pm
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

If you work hard, are reliable, and don't cause any drama it can happen in your first season or your second. Although a Team Lead is a promotion for an operator/attendant the real supervisor jobs are Area jobs at Dorney at least.

Basically, work hard, fallow the rules, and tough it out knowing it will be a grind at times and you'll be good for a promotion when it comes available.

Post January 30th, 2014, 7:49 pm

I was made a 3rd in charge of Millennium my first year partway into the season. AT Cedar Point (in rides) it's rare to be promoted your first year; but it does happen. I was promoted in 2009 to an Assistant and Lead in 2010. I also stopped working with Park Op full time in 2012. At Cedar Point, Area supervisors are difficult to get. I started applying for supervisor in 2010 but was put on a imaginary waiting list because the same 6 supervisors kept coming back lol Still had a great time!

Exactly like Tetsu said. And live by the Cornerstones; Safety, Service, Cleanliness, Courtesy and Integrity.

Just got news! I'm working with Cedar Point's Marketing dept starting in February and working until June when I start Beach Band! :)
Cedar Point
2008-2015
--2015--
Beach Band- June-August

Post January 31st, 2014, 2:00 am
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

Originally posted by coasterdave

...AT Cedar Point (in rides) it's rare to be promoted your first year; but it does happen. ...

This is the same at Dorney and thus I would guess all Cedar Fair parks. Not just for rides but any operations sub-department rides, services, and other areas. Although, in services it is a bit more common.

Services is sort of like the janitors of the park. Cleaning vomit, which you'll do in rides to, clean restrooms, clear trash and/or debris, (leaves, sticks, ect.) and taking out the trash. Dont look down on it though, if you get sent from rides to services because cross-overs will help your chances of getting promoted beyond Area to Ops, which as you can guess is a Department Supervisor.

Post January 31st, 2014, 5:20 am

Now, thats one thing different. At CP, we can't cross train depts like Rides to services; however we may for extra hours. Only things like sweeps.

ANYONE applying to rides and expecting to show up and run a ride and go home is wrong! Note that Ride Operations is about 40% running rides and 60% cleaning. One of my biggest pet-peeves is someone who showed up and expected to not clean because thats not in the job description! LIES! lol
Cedar Point
2008-2015
--2015--
Beach Band- June-August

Post January 31st, 2014, 12:01 pm
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

Another thing that is very important is not to be afraid of the weather. The park will almost always open on every day unless something major prevents it such as a hurricane or a freak snow storm. You'll work in temps ranging from 100+F to about 30F during the season. Weather will mostly be rain/hail but the parks dont close unless its not worth staying open, IE all the guests leave. Know that you will get wet and have the right equipment ready for cold and rain. The park sells sweaters, fleece tops, hats (only during Haunt though), and rain gear via pay roll deduction. You can claim it on your taxes though as it is a work related expanse.

Should your ride close due to rain/cold/heat/whatever be ready to clean it. Just as coasterdave said, you'll have supplies to clean the train, sweep the station, clean the hand-rails that people use as seats (my biggest pet-peeve), and maybe scrape gum off the station floor. Remember, no matter what location the Operations Supervisor you interview with tells you your going to, cleaning IS a part of your job, at least the main area around your ride and the ride itself.

Even on select days, mostly Saturdays, you'll help services sweep the major midways in your rides area (Alpha, Baker, Charlie, Delta, Echo). <--You'll learn where those are after you apply but know they are the ride areas. Services groups into Foxtrot, Gamma, and Halo for areas.

Return to Theme Park Employment