Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Woman dies while riding New Texas Giant

Woman dies while riding New Texas Giant

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post July 22nd, 2013, 3:18 pm
GRIM.657 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,299.00 Points

surprise surprise it was a fatty

Also iron rattler totally has seatbelt fail-safes, I wonder why ntg doesn't

Post July 22nd, 2013, 8:04 pm

Points on hand: 92.00 Points
Bank: 1,341.05 Points
The vet that was ejected from Superman was at Darien Lake. That was not only the ride operator's fault, but I'm sure the fault of the rider as well. I don't think that he was let on without a fight, which the ride op eventually gave up just to make the customer happy.
Originally posted by GerstlCrazy
Cool! The name is Fly Over Rainforest?
I was under the impression the name was Green Coaster Goes Fast Goes High Has Clockwise Loop Has Straight Upside Down Four Seats Two On Each Side Fast Coaster?

Post July 22nd, 2013, 8:31 pm

Points on hand: 1,433.00 Points
Originally posted by NightwindElf

The vet that was ejected from Superman was at Darien Lake. That was not only the ride operator's fault, but I'm sure the fault of the rider as well. I don't think that he was let on without a fight, which the ride op eventually gave up just to make the customer happy.

I think that in both of these instances, the riders shouldn't have been let on.

Post July 22nd, 2013, 11:11 pm

Points on hand: 92.00 Points
Bank: 1,341.05 Points
Exactly. It falls onto the park for apparently not training their employees enough on procedure.
Originally posted by GerstlCrazy
Cool! The name is Fly Over Rainforest?
I was under the impression the name was Green Coaster Goes Fast Goes High Has Clockwise Loop Has Straight Upside Down Four Seats Two On Each Side Fast Coaster?

Post July 22nd, 2013, 11:36 pm
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Points on hand: 6,049.50 Points

1. The Texas Department of Insurance lacks any formal jurisdiction to investigate, enforce, or insure compliance with any modern safety standard.

They instead refer to local law enforcement and the parks insurance company / engineers to insure compliance with the latest ASTM and safety standards. As long as someone is willing to insure your ride in Texas, you pay $40 to the state, they will make you a nice little sticker to place near your ride to make the guest feel safe.

Most law enforcement agencies in the state do not have sufficient resources to determine if a ride is safe or unsafe, and complaints largely go unanswered. I am not aware of any operators who have been prosecuted under the states statues since it was created.

2. Most ride operators at Six Flags do not know the difference between a seat belt that is measuring device, and a seat belt that is a supplementary restraint. They also are not trained in what BMI is, the limits of various types of physical restraints as BMI pertains to it, and how height requirements account for a certain BMI but a rider may still not qualify to ride. EG, torso to small, to tall, to big etc..

As explained in previous posts, if the seat belt connects into the lapbar and not across the riders hips like on an airplane then it's a measuring device. (Think B&M Seatbelts or Premiere Launch Coaster seat belts for examples)

The measuring device will not buckle if the distance between the ratchet in the restraint is out of spec, in this condition it will not lock correctly. Seatbelt doesn't buckle, your too fat, you can't ride. No exceptions.

NTG is not equipped with any physical measuring device for use by the operators and relies exclusively on an electronic system in the trains to determine if the restraint is locked or not. Even Titan had hand carried squares made to check the distance between the restraint and rider to check this.

3. NTG uses new infinitely adjustable fluid type Class 5 restraints.

They do not click as they do not use the old school ratchets. They are electronically set and released via a power rail in the station. You cannot dispatch a train if all the restraints do not report as locked. Outside of maintenance override key switch set enabled, this is to the best of my knowledge not able to be overridden by an operator.

4. Not sure where Bill Avery got 180 lbs per seat, but that's the AVR value for setting the physics math up for the ride. Average weight per rider in a seat plus train weight. The restraints themselves are capable of much more as they have to be able to take positive and negative G loads. The metal in the restraint would bend before the latching let go.

I am not going to speculate, but Six Flags is to blame for this in some part no matter how you slice it. I feel sorry for the victims, I feel sorry for the operator who didn't know any better and was out of his league, but I don't feel sorry for Six Flags. The media seems to think this is a wake up call for the industry, a call to arms for a nation wide inspection program our industry doesn't want. It's just another day in the office for Six Flags, one that will continue to be operated stupid ass backwards.

Post July 23rd, 2013, 12:44 am
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,502.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

Robb being a douche like usual. He posted the news video in his channel and edited out the video credit that CoasterForce had on the POV. The used CoasterForce's POV in the newscast and the douche Robb is, he went and edited out the credits. Seriously, wtf? Upvote my comment here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYKTuq2s ... 1TYhbSn6lg
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post July 23rd, 2013, 1:24 am

Points on hand: 94.00 Points
Blobb already removed it it seems. In related news...

Then, after no one payed attention to the above post, he went on to double post or something and said this just to draw attention to it.

Moar related content: Image
Everyong just go and flag his video, get it removed. He loses out on monetization plus potentially gets a strike from YouTube and certain Partner perks removed for 6 months.

Post July 23rd, 2013, 2:09 am

Points on hand: 2,849.00 Points
Originally posted by GRIM.657

Also iron rattler totally has seatbelt fail-safes, I wonder why ntg doesn't

No it doesn't

Post July 23rd, 2013, 3:26 am

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
Yeah I was reading through that thread, and I just stopped when I got to that remark by Rob. I don't care what he says and how much he blames everyone else...that's an absolutely terrible way to treat people. Ah well. Good luck with the YouTube strike and such though lol.

Post July 23rd, 2013, 5:13 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,723.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

I really can't stand Robb's attitude towards other, it's as if he's on a constant power trip. I know I'm usually a d!ck, but even I can see how ridiculous that behaviour is.

Post July 23rd, 2013, 7:37 am
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Points on hand: 6,049.50 Points

It seems to me that Robb is already self imploding and loosing his credibility and pull within the industry. Has been for a while now. It's likely why he is moving to mainstream media and broadcast, there is likely more money and publicity in it for him. Most people in the industry only put up with him for the sake of the people that follow him are often the most loyal of the fan base and there are very large numbers of them. They are often needed to sway the public opinion from time to time.

It is widely accepted that through public opinion that he is on some level an asshat. He doesn't need our assistance in his desperate ploy to stay relevant. The more you mess with him, the more views he gets to his youtube channel, the more revenue he makes off it. Everytime you mention his name he becomes easier to find on the search engines through keyword polls. All of this he uses to further make himself a persona in the American media culture.

The best thing you can do is to pretend Robb does not exist. Also guys, in some states it's illegal to interfere with a business's operations and purposely cause to loose money. So unless you can afford counsel to defend yourself in the event Robb decides to sue you for it (altho given his reputation he would certainly have a hard time proving specific damages), or your outside the jurisdictional of US Courts I wouldn't recommend it.

Your welcome to voice your opinion on Robb, but you can't mess with his livelihood. Your efforts would be better spent contacting the media and sharing your displeasure over who they chose for commentary on this matter. The media feeds off public opinion, if enough people complain they won't make him a talent again for fear of public backlash or hurting advertising revenue by association. Remember opinions are protected under the 1st amendment, interfering with someones money is not.

Robb is an internet celebrity, I don't think he will ever be more then that until he learns to stop arguing with people who have different opinions and points of view than him. I heard he recently banned a ride manufactures employee because he corrected him on certain operations and components of the ride. You think that is going to help his cause?

Post July 23rd, 2013, 2:03 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,502.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

Anyway, Robb is a credit stealing person, that's already proven. Moving back on to the real topic, if the lady felt unsecure about riding the roller coaster and she had voiced it to the ride ops, shouldn't they just let her off the ride instead of reassuring her that everything is fine?
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post July 23rd, 2013, 2:29 pm

Points on hand: 3,578.00 Points
On average, I would assume that every train dispatched per operating day has at least 1-2 people who have the same mindset as this lady did and voice the concern about not being safe/wanting an extra "click" (or whatever it might be)....told they will be okay and and come back to the station just fine.

Who knows how many other coasters this woman rode prior to NTG? Did she express the same concerns on other attractions throughout the day, was reassured, and came back just fine?

Perhaps that is something that will be considered; annoying as it sounds that anyone who claims they are unsecured and expresses the concern are automatically taken off the ride vehicle.

Post July 23rd, 2013, 3:44 pm

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
Oscar, the only place I've heard that description is from the lady who's been lying about everything. It's possible she felt fine until the ride started. It's possible a ride op pushed it down more, but it still wasn't enough. Or, they did ignore requests to push it down further. Can't really know yet. I just wouldn't believe that's the case because of what some crazy lady said in her fabricated statement.

Post July 23rd, 2013, 5:31 pm

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points
I go to TPR because they have up to date construction, and trip reports. We don't seem to do that anymore except for maybe a coaster or 2 a year. If it wasnt for the detailed reports, I probably wouldn't even give the site more traffic.

Back on topic, I really doubt the operator would've ignored the lady if she felt unsafe.
What are these for?

Post July 23rd, 2013, 8:26 pm

Points on hand: 421.00 Points
Bank: 2,954.10 Points
Since CNN said the son spoke in Espanol, maybe it was the language barrier to blame?
A big drop is a good drop.

Post July 23rd, 2013, 9:38 pm

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

New reports say she DID not complain about not feeling secure and that her sons weren't even riding with her. There is so much misinformation out there.

Post July 24th, 2013, 9:32 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
^This is why I generally don't watch the news anymore.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post July 24th, 2013, 12:18 pm

Points on hand: 421.00 Points
Bank: 2,954.10 Points
Wasn't this ride the focal point of a discrimination lawsuit?
A big drop is a good drop.

Post July 24th, 2013, 1:21 pm
TheArchitect User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 501,147.00 Points
Bank: 498,048.00 Points
she was fat and fat people deserve to die. God is mad cause gays can get married and he took it out on her for being fat.

Post July 24th, 2013, 2:08 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
That's a good point I'm surprised the WBC isn't all up in this
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post July 24th, 2013, 8:33 pm

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points
I say we lat fat people ride all the rides they want regardless of restraint limitation. You know.. filter them out...

Survival of the fittest right?

Post July 24th, 2013, 8:41 pm
A.S.C. User avatar
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Points on hand: 59.00 Points
Bank: 1,276.00 Points

Post July 24th, 2013, 10:09 pm

Points on hand: 1,286.00 Points
Originally posted by minicoopertx

...and how about that "witness" who says she saw the bar release and the woman tumble... and right after that she says she was NEXT IN LINE (and therefore in the station) so there's no way she could've seen the woman fall.
She also says the other bars went "click click click" but the victim's only went "click" - more false info. Those bars don't click at all.

That part puzzled me too.

Post July 24th, 2013, 10:34 pm

Points on hand: 15,350.90 Points
If we're going to make disgusting remarks about how she deserved to die, I think this topic needs to be locked. If her son ever reads this topic I think he would hate CoasterCrazy because the incompetent mods are not paying enough attention. I'm not sure if he's ever likely to come across this specific topic, but still.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!