Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Worlds Of Fun "Prowler" For 2009

Worlds Of Fun "Prowler" For 2009

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post September 1st, 2008, 12:59 pm

Points on hand: 2,664.00 Points

WORLDS OF FUN ANNOUNCES A NEW KING OF THE JUNGLE FOR 2009
KANSAS CITY, MO ?????? Deep in the woods of Worlds of Fun a dangerous predator lurks, ready to shred those fighting to escape the claws of the new PROWLER roller coaster. Beginning in spring 2009, guests at Worlds of Fun amusement park in Kansas City, Missouri, become prey to PROWLER, a beast of a wooden coaster tangled within the park??????s forested terrain.

The two-and-a-half minute high speed chase begins with the ride??????s only feature above the trees?????? cover, a swooping 85 foot plummet into a ravine. After the spiral plunge, the train rips through a seemingly endless amount of high speed hills and sharply banked turns that hug the wooded land below. With a top speed of 51 MPH, riders grasped in the clutches of PROWLER carve a path with powerful but smooth changes of direction, speed, and elevation.

Prowler is an $8 million investment and is located in the Africa section of the park near the Zulu thrill ride. The classic wood structure blends through a forest of unique terrain, creating a total elevation change of 102 feet throughout the course of the 3,074 foot ride.

??????PROWLER reinforces our dedication to being the region??????s leading thrill park and family entertainment destination,?????? said Frank Wilburn, Vice President and General Manager at Worlds of Fun. ??????This wild roller coaster will attract both families and thrill-seekers when it opens this spring.??????

PROWLER is custom designed and built for the topography of Worlds of Fun by Great Coasters International, Inc. (GCI) of Sunbury, Pennsylvania. The adventure begins when riders board one of two custom 12 row, 24 passenger GCI Millennium Flyer trains. These extremely comfortable trains feature a metallic blue, green, and copper color scheme with black seats and accommodate approximately 850 riders per hour.

PROWLER is the seventh roller coaster at Worlds of Fun and is scheduled to open spring 2009. Construction is currently underway, but those who cannot wait until spring may take a virtual ride on PROWLER at worldsoffun.com. Visitors to worldsoffun.com may also access exclusive PROWLER updates and features, like a live construction Web cam, virtual renderings, ride statistics, construction photos, blog, and online fun.

Investment: $8 Million
Track Length: 3,074 feet
First Drop: 85 feet
Speed: Approximately 51 mph
Ride Time Approx. 2 minutes 30 seconds
Structure Materia:l Wood
Features: Spiraling First Drop, Terrain hugging at high speed, 102 foot total elevation change, Banked bunny hills, Banked S-curve
Ride Manufacturer: Great Coasters International, Inc., Sunbury, PA
Trains: 2 Millennium Flyer trains, 24 riders per train
Train Color: Train 1 metallic green, metallic blue, black trim and seating, Train 2 metallic copper, metallic blue, black trim and seating
Ride Capacity Approx. 850 Riders Per Hour
Opening: Spring 2009

Source: http://prowler.worldsoffun.com/
Last edited by Austin on January 21st, 2009, 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post September 1st, 2008, 1:53 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,502.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

Post September 1st, 2008, 2:11 pm

Points on hand: 483.00 Points
Bank: 19,590.00 Points
That thing has many pumps in the track in the animation.

Post September 1st, 2008, 2:34 pm

Points on hand: 1,603.00 Points
All GCI's are like that. Extremely fast twists and turns.

Post September 1st, 2008, 2:36 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
^^Not really, that's how GCIs run. Their transitions are actually really fun.

Post September 1st, 2008, 2:51 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
looks more airy than other GCI's.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post September 1st, 2008, 2:58 pm

Points on hand: 4,765.00 Points

Not really, it's all turns. No where near as many hills as Kentucky Rumbler or Renegade. Maybe more air than the older ones, but this definetely doesn't look like it has as much air as the 2003-2007 ones.

My thoughts on the ride that I posted on CS:

I can't help thinking 'Beast without the straightaways' when I see the layout. It does look decent, but it doesn't seem like there is any flow to it. Maybe that will help the out of control factor of the ride, but i just keep coming back to a seemingly illogical set of zig-zag turns out, a 3/4 helix turnaround, and zig-zag turns back. It does seem to get a little bit of flow toward the end (although I'm not a fan of the 180 into the brakes) but still, seems more like something someone would do in NL when they're first starting out.

The Forellenhof ride and Morey's 2010 ride (and Great America's postponed ride) look better than this to me.

Post September 1st, 2008, 3:07 pm

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points

Post September 1st, 2008, 3:21 pm

Points on hand: 1,171.00 Points

This looks awesome, there are little pops of air everywhere. I bet there's at least as much airtime as Renegade or Rumbler.

Post September 1st, 2008, 3:23 pm
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 44.00 Points
Bank: 4,333.00 Points
I have to agree with Freddie. This thing just looks like one turn after another with some small hill thrown in. Nothing like I expected it to look like considering this is a GCI.

Post September 1st, 2008, 3:26 pm

Points on hand: 2,219.00 Points

I really like how it hugs the ground, the speed is nice all the way through. Airtime is everywhere, looks sweet to me!

Post September 1st, 2008, 3:38 pm

Get's a Huge Thumbs up from Me! I love how it twists through the woods with tons of little air pops thrown in!

Post September 1st, 2008, 3:57 pm

Points on hand: 2,931.00 Points

Post September 1st, 2008, 4:30 pm

Points on hand: 196.00 Points

So, you guys are saying that GCIs are this rough in reality?
Lol, that looks rougher than Sierra Tonante!

Anyway, I really like the layout, nice pops of air and twists...

Post September 1st, 2008, 4:32 pm

Points on hand: 1,469.00 Points
Looks like a wannabevoyage with very little air. But I like it, I can't wait to see how it turns out. Should be one of GCIs best.

Post September 1st, 2008, 4:40 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
Originally posted by Vid_w

So, you guys are saying that GCIs are this rough in reality?

They aren't rough, just...sudden. They run pretty smooth, but I do admit this one looks a little more abrupt than most of the recent ones.

I agree with Freddie and Tetsu. I love the out and back effect but when it comes to air, it looks like it just has many many moments of very mediocre airtime.

Post September 1st, 2008, 4:57 pm

Points on hand: 3,189.00 Points

Ah, looks completely airless to me...Hills are too wide and it goes too slow over them to get any at all by the looks of it, but maybe I'm wrong. Should be fun anyways, pretty twisty layout.

Post September 1st, 2008, 5:08 pm

Points on hand: 5,394.00 Points
Bank: 1,660.00 Points
Ehh...the ride looks like it will fling you side to side, but the ride does not look like it will deliver that famous GCI thrill that others have (Ravine Flyer II and Thunderhead).

Post September 1st, 2008, 5:12 pm
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 44.00 Points
Bank: 4,333.00 Points

Post September 2nd, 2008, 2:35 am

Points on hand: 3,780.00 Points
I agree with those who say that this is not like a traditional GCI. It lacks the high number of crossovers that other GCI's are known for. It will probably be a nice ride, but not something really special.

Post September 2nd, 2008, 3:39 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
This looks like a really cool design. I think it's the first woodie without any sort of hill after the drop. I'm curious how the sensation will be, but high speed and GCI turns usually work well.
Too bad there's so little track interaction, which make the ride look short.

Post September 2nd, 2008, 7:08 am

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

I think it will surprise you airtime wise...Lightning Racer looked like it wasn't going to have any air, but there were great pops all over the place. I hope to get on this bad boy some day...actually night [;)].

Post September 2nd, 2008, 4:40 pm

Points on hand: 4,906.00 Points

I didn't know Badnitrus was still making videos.

Looks pretty cool. It's nice to see GCI doing something other than building a random twister on a flat piece of land.

Post September 2nd, 2008, 4:47 pm

Originally posted by coasterguy77

Ah, looks completely airless to me...Hills are too wide and it goes too slow over them to get any at all by the looks of it, but maybe I'm wrong. Should be fun anyways, pretty twisty layout.

All sims do that, the trick is to imagine yourself riding it while going over the hills. It'll have just as much air as all GCI's.

Post September 2nd, 2008, 5:16 pm

Points on hand: 1,435.00 Points

Next

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!