Board index Public Relations Site Related "You must buy a Premium Account to download"

"You must buy a Premium Account to download"

Posts that are directly related to the site.

Post March 9th, 2011, 8:26 pm

Points on hand: 1,433.00 Points

Post March 9th, 2011, 8:34 pm
SauronHimself User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 1,641.00 Points
Originally posted by jayman

the tracks are boring compared to 5 years ago. even some of the ones that look interesting in the screenshots are just too "bland" with the exception of very few, and even then people cry when they dont get the rate they want. . there's like 1 track every couple of months that interests me. alot of whats gone wrong was when we got flooded with refugees from coastersims.

When you're dealing with a simulator that has its own limitations and hasn't been updated in a long time, and you also account for the fact that you can only have so many "unique ideas", it's no surprise that good tracks today are few and far between. I think we'll see a new growth spurt once NL2 finally makes its debut.

Post March 9th, 2011, 8:38 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,115.00 Points

actually i think that it'll get worse.
instead of rides getting better ther'll be even more mediocre ones.

Post March 9th, 2011, 9:12 pm

Points on hand: 88.00 Points
Originally posted by Oscar

I'm not going to run through all the posts so I am just going to reply with this. I've been providing a FREE service since 2002. You've been only here since 2009. I've received feedback like yours for the past 9 years and it's always the same, "GIVE IT ALL TO ME FREE!!! SCREW YOU OSCAR!!! KEEP ON PAYING $5,000 + A YEAR OUT OF YOUR OWN POCKET FOR COLOCATION, HARDWARE, SOFTWARE, CUSTOM WEBWARE, YOUR HUNDREDS OF HOURS OF WORKING THE BACKEND, SERVICING THE SERVER, CALLING TECH SUPPORT, PAYING PROGRAMMERS TO FIX CRAP, DRIVING INTO LOS ANGELES TO STAND ON YOUR FEET FOR HOURS WAITING FOR THE SERVER TO GET FIXED WHEN IT BREAKS DOWN. GIVE IT TO ME FREE, YOU PAY OSCAR PAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Caplock intended as that's the way it comes across to me. I do receive donations but they are not enough to cover the full expenses of this website. I am very thankful for the donations received as without them the site would not be around. Frankly, I was going to pull the cord in February due to an ongoing incident. If it wasn't for Mikey for paying a $500+ bill out of his pocket, the site would have been gone and you wouldn't had the chance post your post today. In December I received a VERY nice donation as well but those who are VIP's are well aware where that money went to.

Anyway, bac on topic. You are complaining about something that has been a part of the site for the past year. It took you long enough to find out that this was so. It is obvious that you JUST getting that message is indicative that you really are not that involved in the site or involved in the exchange if you just noticed that being in place. It's been there for the past year. Why not complain about it from the start? Did you have a bad day? If so, me too, I've had a very bad day today.

I am aware that my site is not the only one on the planet. You are free to come to mine, enjoy the free features available to you. You are just as free as to go to another site that you feel more comfortable at. That is your choice and I'd rather you leave than to whine here. The waaahhhmbulance isn't welcomed here by the members.

I am not cocky, well, actually I am cocky, I'll admit that. It is simple as this, you either like what I do here because I HAVE to do it, or just go elsewhere. I am fed up being stressed about pleasing people like you who are ungrateful of the 9 years of work and $40,000+ spent on this site. Yes, that is forty thousand. I know thousands of people appreciate what I do here. I know thousands as well hate that I charge a fee. Of course, those thousands that do not appreciate simply don't know me, don't know what it costs to run the site and don't know the crap I have to deal with in public like in this post and in emails, private message and letters.

You either like my site the way it is or GTFO!

I totally understand what it takes to keep a site up. Its not cheap.The site I mod on (a flight sim site )is expensive. I made a suggestion on another thread about how to help fund it. I have been around here since the coastercrazy days (most likely a different user name ). We ask for donations at the begin of every year.Usually around the %5000 to %6000 range.Members give what they can afford, usually $15 $20 bucks.We also have devs that donate funds more now than before.This reason is because we didn't let them advertise there product on the site.A good member base will keep the site running.

Post March 9th, 2011, 9:14 pm

Points on hand: 2,063.00 Points

I miss the showmanship of rides being posted. I feel like people knew better how to get others excited and want to download and rate rides. You dont really see that anymore. Its all just ego with no excitement.

Post March 9th, 2011, 9:23 pm

Originally posted by Mikey

This post brings to light one of the many problems that CoasterCrazy has as a operating site, and as a theme park enthusiast community as a whole. While we are held together by a common bond for all things theme park related, and more appropriately our coaster designs and desire to share them amongst each other. We are crippled by our user base, which is formed primary of users aged 13-19. An age range which makes it incredibly difficult to build a community upon because they do not yet have a firm understanding of what a community is or the financial and communal resources that ultimately are needed to make them thrive.

CoasterCrazy was founded in 2002, and next year we will celebrate its ten year anniversary. But while we are one of the oldest sites out there, we have yet to have one community trip, park meeting, or other non-virtual event worthy of us being called anything other then an online forum. We have virtually no income to support the community, aside from a few of our dedicated members, we have as of late, received very little in way of alternative contributions (eg, trip reports, videos, articles, etc) to the site. The majority of our current 13-19 aged user base lacks the financial resources to to provide any monetary support for the community, or to pay for trips or meetings. This has ultimately crippled our chances to continue any further market growth and remain competitive with other sites out there in the market place.

As Oscar has stated previously and I will reincorporate again, we have pumped thousands of dollars into collocation, hardware, software, time, transportation, etc to keep this community alive. I too have an equal investment in this site, and even when Oscar is unable to continue to pay for the site, I have from time to time used the resources of my consulting company to pay the bills. You will find that not once have I questioned paying for this site, simply put, I did it for our loyal users, and because I believe that we do what we must because we can.

We have asked for nothing in return for the free service that we wholeheartedly provide to you, even after we have made some adjustments to lower the overall delivery and operating cost for each free user by limiting some advanced features exclusively to premium members, you still have retained a basic access right to the site. When you get older you will find that you often get what you pay for, and that nothing in life is free.

The fact that it has taken you over a year to learn of our download limit shows me that you are not a very active or constructive member here, that you would rather complain publicly about limitations on a service in which you receive for free, and on someone else's time and dime to boot. Perhaps when you get a little older and a little wiser you will learn about your fallacy, look back on this and reflect.

If you think in anyway that your post here will create some mass exodus or revolt of our user base, or in anyway lesson or take away from the site in anyway, you will likely soon find out that you are the lone ranger in a glass house. Your failures and lack of contribution has in essence also contributed to the communities failures, and now you are feeling the long term effects of that shortcoming.

Personally, I have not given up on CoasterCrazy. For me this site was the the ultimate tool in a three year fight to lead a share holder revolt and ultimately gain back control of the things that mattered most to me. While I have taken a full time position on top of my consulting duties, I still find time to come to this site, and to see what has developed over night. I did not give up on Six Flags and I will not give up on CoasterCrazy. So take this site as you will, and should you decide to not come back, you aren't going to hurt my feelings. But please, for your safety, please don't let the door hit you on the way out. I really hate filling out insurance paper work on stupid people.

- Mikey

Nicely said.

This is why Oscar has to do what he has to do. To keep up a site now days you have to put the site in the eyes of the paying. The site I mod on at start up only had 4 areas to post on. To get more folks interested we added areas like PC hardware,news and such.

Post March 9th, 2011, 9:27 pm

Originally posted by Symbiotic

I miss the showmanship of rides being posted. I feel like people knew better how to get others excited and want to download and rate rides. You dont really see that anymore. Its all just ego with no excitement.

Yeah...I remember the old days. I posted a track and got bashed ,not in a bad way but a way that made me do it better the next time. So well now that I beta test.

Post March 9th, 2011, 10:46 pm

Points on hand: 85.00 Points
Bank: 2,503.00 Points

The problem with this is that I always am afraid I'll overhype my ride. And that always garners MORE negative feedback. :/

Post March 10th, 2011, 3:31 pm

Points on hand: 2,615.00 Points

Originally posted by Jonny Richey

Originally posted by vampire

I had no idea there even was a limit. :S

Probably because I don't think I've even seen you before.... [:D]

Dude... [:(]

Post March 10th, 2011, 6:26 pm

Points on hand: 1,233.00 Points
Originally posted by allen

Yeah...I remember the old days. I posted a track and got bashed ,not in a bad way but a way that made me do it better the next time. So well now that I beta test.
Beta test what?

These days ride's are lucky if they get one rating, but they get atleast 50 downloads. Thats just crap. Thats the good thing about NL-E is that people have to rate rides to download more. Although I agree that the way they do it wouldn't work here. But I really wish that people started rating more. Like my only upload here, http://coastercrazy.com/track_exchange/ ... ?tid=17518 Heartline has 1 rating by Hatseput, and one comment by Turbo saying "I'll leave a full rating later". Whats really sad is that lots of the people that downloaded it are people I know closly, and really well known people here. I rate almost every ride I download, and so should everyone else.
Don't underestimate the power of Knex

Post March 10th, 2011, 7:51 pm

Points on hand: 483.00 Points
Bank: 19,590.00 Points

Post March 10th, 2011, 8:05 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,115.00 Points

oh , yeah , but to be honest i wouldnt thionk thats why you post them . they're more like "for display" and i never see you crying about that either

Post March 14th, 2011, 5:33 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
I downloaded 4 tracks today. Swear to god.

Does each member's day revolve around a different start and stop 24 hour interval? Or is it always midnight? =P

X_X

Previous

Return to Site Related