Board index Roller Coaster Games Hard Hat Area High Heat Coasters - Lazarus

High Heat Coasters - Lazarus

The Hard Hat Area is the place to post construction news about your ride, so this is the place to hype your future upload!

Post March 24th, 2012, 7:19 pm

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
Hey guys. I've realized that I haven't shown any of my work in a long time, so I wanted to let everyone know that I'm still designing in the shadows. What better way than a thread with some sweet new screenshots to hold you over until I actually finish and release a new ride?

First up is a coaster I've been building on and off while completing larger projects. Since it's one of the few B&Ms I've done, I've really been focusing on nailing the trackwork and layout. The goal is to create something Stengel and the old-school B&M designers might have done around 1994-1995, so while you won't see crazy unique elements, but you should notice plenty trackwork details to pull off that feel. I'm done trackwork on maybe 3/5 of the track, with the rest in place and being tweaked.

Before anyone asks, no I don't know if or when any of the tracks I'll be presenting will be finalized and uploaded. Also, I will be showing various tracks, but rest assured there's still some even more interesting stuff going on behind the scenes that I don't want to spoil. But anyways, it's screenshot time:

[image]http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3231/bmstandup26120323015743k.jpg[/image]

[image]http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/2121/bmstandup26120323014457.jpg[/image]
Last edited by dcs221 on May 22nd, 2015, 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post March 24th, 2012, 7:40 pm

Points on hand: 287.00 Points

Post March 24th, 2012, 7:45 pm

Points on hand: 1,015.00 Points
Whoo, finally a construction thread! :) Looks great and I can't wait to see more.
YES!

Post March 24th, 2012, 7:49 pm

Points on hand: 1,130.00 Points
Looking great as always, I almost want to question the shaping on that Immelmann, but I definitely need to see a different angle because knowing you I'm probably wrong thinking it's off. Also, I remember the teaser you sent out after you released cypher III for Aurora, just wondering if that is still in the works because I was always interested in what happened since it looked close to completion in the screen.

Post March 24th, 2012, 9:08 pm

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points
I'm still interested in the Talon recreation. Do you plan on showing your progress, or is that one of the behind the scenes things?
What are these for?

Post March 24th, 2012, 10:31 pm

Thanks for the comments guys. SupraSix, I'm not easily satisfied with my own work, and I'm 100% good with the design of the immelman. So before looking at it too hard lol I'll ask, what is it that looks off to you?

To your other point, that ride was very far along at that point. I've had a lot of issues with fps, which is weird because the number of polygons is not over the top. I think it might have something to do with the number of textures I used, not sure. Seeing as it's not as much fun to fight something like that as it is to keep building, I've done a lot of work on other projects in the meantime. I did try some solutions, and most of them helped but didn't solve the problem. Despite that, I'm building a significant scene object that really adds to the atmosphere, and once that's done (it's almost there) I'll revisit the fps at some point. I have a couple pictures of that project I'll upload in this thread sometime soon.

CKidd, that was Real and someone else. I wasn't involved in the Talon project.

Post March 24th, 2012, 11:22 pm

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points
oh its been so long since I've seen anything about it I forgot who was doing it. but I do like this ride.
What are these for?

Post March 25th, 2012, 7:38 am

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
I was just about to PM you telling you to post something from your end or I'd start stealing points from you.

So far, I am really liking the looks of the turn after the loop in the picture. EDIT Woah woah woah I just put the first and second picture together and that turn goes into a small hammerhead thing! That's cool.

I think the Immelman looks damn perfect.

Loooove the flat transition [which I deduce follows the Immelman?]. It reminds me of Kumba's little toss before the cobra roll.

Post March 25th, 2012, 5:21 pm

Yes that flat transition does follow the immelman. It has more in common with the transition after the first cork on Riddler's Revenge than it does the one on Kumba before the cobra roll, but I do like that transition on Kumba too... :)

Post March 25th, 2012, 5:28 pm
TheArchitect User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 501,147.00 Points
Bank: 498,048.00 Points

Post March 25th, 2012, 6:21 pm

Post March 25th, 2012, 9:54 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points

Nice ride BTW. I thought you'd never do a standup.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post March 25th, 2012, 10:45 pm
RideWarriorNation User avatar
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Points on hand: 1,533.40 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
You didn't get the memo? Standups' are the new Intamin blitz coaster.

Post March 26th, 2012, 12:57 am

I tell you what, that girl is gorgeous but most of that song and video was like a caricature of rap. Who is that anyways? lol

And yeah no 'top down' views...I've already given away a lot of the layout, since by design it won't be particularly innovative and therefore the layout is more important.

Don't think standups are quiiite the new Intamin blitz lol...pretty sure the ratio is still about 100 to 1 on No Limits sites in favor of the blitz.

Post March 26th, 2012, 2:19 am

Didn't even notice it was a Stand-up. That's even cooler now too. Show us other rides too.

Originally posted by Coasterkidmwm

Nice ride BTW. I thought you'd never do a standup.

Ain't you know I ain't be in them suburbs no mo'? Moved out to da rural south Minnesota for schoolin' in dis b'.

Post March 26th, 2012, 9:49 am

Yep I will be showing other rides too. I have about 4 rides picked out to show for now, but I'll use this thread for updates unless a ride is close to completion and needs its own thread.

Post March 26th, 2012, 10:27 am

Points on hand: 6,539.00 Points
As a tall male, I loathe stand ups...when I rode Mantis last it just seemed such a waste of a great layout and I was legitimately in pain during and after the ride. Still, this layout looks like a promising vision of 90s B&M and I'm eager to see the others as well!

Post March 26th, 2012, 10:43 am

How tall are you? I'm about 6'3" or 6'3.5" and while I don't find them painful, I will say they're somewhat uncomfortable. I rode Mantis once, in the second row, and just found it lackluster, but I'm not sure why. It sure looks pretty cool. Been on GAdv's Green Lantern maybe five times now, and it's decently fun but nothing special. I think I like the first half of Mantis better because the banking transitions are a bit quicker, but the second half of Green Lantern better because the pacing seemed to die at points in that section of Mantis. With that said, there was a long time between my ride on Mantis and those on GL, so that could just be in my head lol.

Post March 26th, 2012, 11:16 am

Points on hand: 6,539.00 Points
I'm not exceedingly tall @ 6'2", but I have rather long legs and my ride on Mantis last season was regrettable. It was less due to the bicycle seat design than the fact that I felt all of the G-forces strongly in my legs and it was more than moderate discomfort throughout, I was relieved to get out of the train. I have fond memories of Riddler's Revenge, actually, I recall it being smooth and graceful and not painful...but my rides were over a decade ago.

Also, the Immelmann in your layout reads later than mid-90s, especially since Wildfire debuted as the first non-invert to feature one in 2001. I remember being really excited that it lead with a huge Immelmann instead of loop/dive loop/zero g.

Post March 26th, 2012, 12:02 pm

Yeah actually after my ride on Mantis, my calf was cramped up on and off literally that entire day, and that's the only time something like that has ever happened to me. I think the mistake was having the seat too low (a little over cautious there lol) so all the forces were on my legs since my weight wasn't distributed between the seat and floor. I don't really care for positive forces on Standups...they don't do a lot for me. The fun parts are the quick rotations IMO.

As far as the immelman goes, when I say mid 90's, I mean in style. They didn't do an immelman until '96 I believe, but they had done dive loops so I think immelmans are definitely fair game. They hadn't done it yet, but I can see them having done it, just the same way Montu debuted the immelman and batwing in 1996. Copying straight off the elements existing at the time wouldn't be as interesting to me. With that said, you won't see any tall corkscrew to descending heartline roll combinations from Cypher III on this ride lol. My goal is to create a ride that people will look at and say A: Hey that looks like something that might have been built around 1995, and B: But yet it still has an interesting layout with some original details that would have made it stand out at the time in the way Montu and Mantis did in 1996.

Post March 26th, 2012, 1:12 pm

I didn't like Mantis as much as I liked Iron Wolf, but that may just be its lacking in lucidity in my memory. But Iron Wolf was just more intense and came at you with more brute force.

And I agree they definitely could have done an Immelman on a stand-up. In fact I think they should have, it would have been really cool...

Post March 26th, 2012, 1:40 pm

Yeah, for whatever reason I had a lot of fun on Iron Wolf too whereas Mantis was just ok. Might be because I rode Iron Wolf in the back a couple times in a row with no waiting.

Post March 26th, 2012, 3:25 pm

Ahh I only rode in the front row once. That quick downward transition out of that first turnaround into the helix was wonderful, as well as the two quick whips in the back half.

I also loved the drop into the corkscrew/corkscrew combination a lot.

My roller coaster loving spirit might have been on overload on that ride though- it was my first Six Flags ride ever =D

*I hope you have some quick whips in this ride... but as you've just said you prefer those Stand-up maneuvers then I'm sure you do.
*Do you have gentle airtime moments on this? I find even the small airtime sensation very unsettling and thrilling on Standups...

Post March 26th, 2012, 3:33 pm

Points on hand: 85.00 Points
Bank: 2,503.00 Points
I really love stand-ups. Chang was fun, Mantis was more fun (it was running trimless when I went). Front row on stand-ups are pretty unique and awesome, and backrows are intense. My calfs never hurt, so I'm always in good shape. I actually enjoy the heavy positives...it feels really crazy alongside the banking transitions.

All-in-all, I wish there were more B&M stand-ups in the world, but understand why - they aren't best for everyone, which isn't a spectacular move by today's parks. Glad you're making one though DC.

Post March 26th, 2012, 5:29 pm
RideWarriorNation User avatar
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Points on hand: 1,533.40 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
^ I liked Chang better than Manit... I've never rode Mantis [:(].

Next

Return to Hard Hat Area