Board index Public Relations Contests 2011 CC NL Tournament Finals - Puma Pursuit

2011 CC NL Tournament Finals - Puma Pursuit

Only official CoasterCrazy.com Contests are posted here.

Post July 15th, 2011, 3:50 am
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

Post July 15th, 2011, 10:40 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Now you can blog without delaying the contest another month from your extreme lack of empathy.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post July 15th, 2011, 11:46 am
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,527.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

cjd:
Coaster 1: 8.25
Coaster 2: 8.42
Coaster 3: 7.33
Coaster 4: 8.33

hyyyper:
Summary
Track 1: 7.00
Track 2: 8.67
Track 3: 7.67
Track 4: 6.67
hyyyper?????????s ratings
Track 1
Tech: Aside from the pump just after the MCBR the ride is very smooth. The supports are excellent, the style and design are spot on. E-stop test failed. If the E-stop is pressed on the 2nd launch, the train will not make the first inversion, and roll back into the station, crashing into the next train. Tunneltest passed.
Adren: Great ride, the pacing is very good. It's a shame though that the inversions appear so early. IMO they would be better suited to surprise guests halfway down the ride and kick up the momentum or perhaps at the ending to make for a kick-ass finale. The rest of the ride is very good, the average speed is kept high by excellent placement of the 3rd launch. The track has a lot of twisting and a great balance between sections where you soar above the trees and section where you can almost touch the ground. I'm glad the MCBR is taken very fast, so no momentum is lost there. Then the G?????????s, while the laterals are in check, the positives strong and there is plenty of airtime. However, the deceleration of the 3rd launch segment is -2.5 G. Are you trying to kill your guests?
Orig: Pretty sweet layout. The track uses the terrain very well and the ride almost feels like a few large continuous elements. The placement of the inversions is a missed chance, but overall the layout is very good with some nice and fresh element, like the trick track hill and Stengel-dive-ish element.
7 ????????? 6 ????????? 8

Track 2
Tech: Good track, the ride is very smooth. Supports are also good, very realistic, but slightly oversupported in some areas. E-stop test passed and tunneltest passed.
Adren: The start is fun, but the tower element is really slow and takes a while to get through. The rest of the first half is good. The speed of the ride is not high, but the fast transitions and excellent use of terrain makes the ride seem a lot faster. The MCBR then slows the train down again to prepare it for the next launch, but placing the MCBR better would?????????ve removed the need to slow the train down and that would?????????ve made the MCBR-launch combination seamless. The 2nd part then is fairly short but the inversion in the end is a cool way the wrap of the ride. The forces are good, the vertical G?????????s are strong and laterals quite low. Also plenty of floater airtime, and one (a little high) ejector air.
Orig: The layout is super, the ride uses the terrain a lot, which makes the ride very good. The elements are very twisty and aside from the misses with the tower element and 2nd launch, the ride is pretty fast as well. The elements are very nice, especially the 90 degree hill and tophat-ish thing over the waterfall.
10 ????????? 8 ????????? 8

Track 3
Tech: Smooth track, but some of the transitions are so fast, they are almost too ?????????snappy?????????, as seen in the part before the corkscrew. Supports are pretty simple, but they hold up the track. E-stop test failed, if the e-stop is pressed during the 2nd launch, the train will valley after the small hill. Tunneltest also failed, support hit on the 2nd to last hill.
Adren: The first part if alright, it has good speed and twisty elements, the only thing missing is the flow between the elements from one element to another. All the elements are independent and it is almost as if you go back to level without banking before continuing to the next element. Trackwork improves in the 2nd half, higher speeds and better twists with more forces. The finale is just as great, and uses the terrain perfectly. The airtime is great, the ride is filled with it. The positives are also OK, but the laterals are high in some fast transitions.
Orig: The ride is pretty long, yet you succeeded in making the entire thing great. There are lots of airtime spots, while other areas have terrain hugging track with powerful forces. The balance between all these elements is very good. Also there are some nice elements, but not all of them worked out great. The last banked hill specifically, it is probably one of them newton2 constructs.
5 ????????? 9 ????????? 9

Track 4
Tech: Very smooth track, excellent ride. The support are good too, though some are a little odd. The E-stop test failed, when the e-stop is pressed during the 2nd launch, the train will roll back through the entire first half and valley, only to have the next train collide into it. Tunneltest passed.
Adren: The first half of the ride is OK. The first drop is nice, and the tall corkscrew is cool too, but the rest of the first half doesn't go very fast, and isn't very thrilling either. The 2nd half starts out pretty boring too, with the first element being too slow and too high. Thankfully, after that, the ride picks up the pace and goes into a series of insane twists and turns. Then there is the finale, which is stupendously short. I think the launch lasted longer than the track that followed. I was hoping to expect another section with wild turns and twisted airtime thingies, but instead it just goes into the brakes. The forces are OK, and in control for the post part, as there are some spots where the positives or laterals are a bit high, but nothing serious. Airtime is limited to the last part, but the airtime that is there, is very powerful.
Orig: The originality scores is pretty much parallel with the adrenaline. The first half is OK, but not spectacular, the first element of the 2nd half leaves much to be desired. Then the ride is suddenly incredible good with some of the best twisting elements I've seen this ride. And finally there is the airtime filled, but incredibly short, finale.
7 ????????? 7 ????????? 6

Coasterkidmwm:
For Everyone:
Judging was accomplished by running the track in the sim, noting any blaring errors, and then looking at the ride in the editor to look at the finer details, and then once again in the sim to check G's, Estop, and the like. The second run through in the sim will go over the ride element by element with what I like and don't like. Similar to before, if I get tired of saying something such as ?????????GCI's do not have -1.5 G's????????? I'll just say that the G's are bad and move on. If you feel your rate is lacking a ?????????because????????? in a criticism and you're one of the later numbers, the ?????????because????????? you're seeking may be written in track #1 or #2's rating.

What I'm looking for is a fun and realistic track similar to the coaster that inspired this round. Stupid shaping, bad supports, adrenaline that depends on bad G's, etc, will get you docked, along with anything else I feel is generally stupid. Very complex template 3ds objects like the ?????????rides????????? were deleted to improve framerates because my computer is a laptop with an integrated graphics card and those work about as well as abstinence only education. I'm sorry that was unfair to the integrated laptop graphics card. At least the integrated laptop graphics card existing is statistically significant. Anyways, Metazoan's quasi-intellectual ?????????it doesn't have to be realistic????????? bullshit that ignores the fact that the entire contest is based on rides being built this year (not my fault he can't read) was ignored because it is a pretty banner that provides no substance or validity. Myself and Hyyyper judge differently (like polar opposites). Hyyyper is more artistic than me and recognizes things that I don't and vice versa. I quite frankly I can never hope to ever make as neat a template as he does, and I'm more of a technical asshole than he is so I believe it creates a happy medium. If Hyyyper ignores his original intent in the template (the ride he is basing it off of) and you create a Maverick instead of a Cheetah Hunt when the point was to create a Cheetah Hunt, I WILL notice your cop out and get you for making a Maverick. Maverick didn't open this year, so deal with it like an adult.
Track #1:
For starters, if you set the start point with ?????????Set First????????? in the edit menu to the station closest to the launch you can start the ride in the first train. I understand not doing this could have been on purpose since it's neat to see other trains whizzing by on a multi-train layout, but yeah I just thought I'd let you know. No points docked for this.
For starters I like the first turn, launch sequence, and the roll. I really like that you bothered to include a G killing section. Most people would set Newton to 4.5 G's because the No Limits has arbitrarily decided that 4.5 G's is the accept ?????????valley G????????? number. Both inversions paced nicely, however I feel like you heartlined more around the the ?????????default????????? right seat than the left seat since the left seat has significantly different and more extreme lateral G's than the right. The laterals almost double in the other seat, so I'm not really sure what is up with your heartline aside from that it's probably from lateral offset. This is an observation, not a severe point dock. Immelman paced well and turn after it was nice. Your elevated double dip thing that ends in a sideways hill pissed me off because it shows general lazyness and a pile of tooled up poop. You made the sideways hill because it was easy and what the tool spat out at you, not because you wanted a sideways hill and quite frankly I hate that. Brakes, hill, etc was nice after that, and I liked that you bothered to switch to the two-rail spine with lots of supports like Intamin randomly seems to like doing. Second launch and overbank was fine. Again, I really don't like the pointless 50ft in the air double dips and stuff since they quite frankly don't exist on Intamin rides but whatever. The post-stupid double dip poop S curves after it were nice and well placed. Supports and track all over the place visually enhance changes in direction, so you picked a good place to do that. Very Cheetah Hunt like, which was the point of this round. I didn't like the series of hills that peaked in a turn a Morgan hyper does (and we all know how those are SUPER fun with two exceptions) after the S curves but I guess they work. Supports are mostly decent. I appreciate the vertical connectors for vertical poles. I'm usually too lazy to make those, so good job. The S-curve section should have had more supports, otherwise they're adequate and you did fine on supports.
Overall I really like the layout aside from the shitty newtonized double dip in the air for absolutely no reason sideways hill, and I like that you bothered to switch around the spine well and did a pretty good job on the supports. Ride paced well, G's were in check, and overall it was a very solid entry.
BT: 8
A: 9
O: 9
Track #2
I think you got the point of this contest more than others. First launch leads into a little turn with laterals, a meander, and then heads straight up into the park ?????????LOOK AT ME????????? park of the ride. I like how you made this since I'm fairly certain making it exactly like in real life would be too much and appear boring, so this was an excellent compromise and I think it worked very well. Twisty hills afterwards with the always appreciated and like G killing section were good also. I feel the S hill over the path could have used another support, even if it's just a simple vertical column, or you could have switched to box spine at the minimum for this portion. The two overbanks after this I didn't really like, especially the first one (it looks stupid), but you did what you could with the terrain so that is good at least. Brakes before the second launch are nice, however the air hill feels very rigid after the launch, like you had straight segments connected there or something. Not anything major, but it's definitely very noticeable in the sim. Remaining trackwork is pretty good on the ride, the rollover is just a bit wobbly when riding in the sim. Trackwork was pretty good on the ride overall, I just noticed the final roll and the above mentioned air hill are a bit wonky, but otherwise it's pretty solidly put together. You have a couple pumps, like the entrance to the elevated turny thing, but nothing major. I think the problem with your air hill is that it has tiny straight segments and they create false bumps. The banking in the final roll was a bit off as well. As far as pacing and general presentation goes you absolutely nailed it. I like the effort put into the station and the creation of the fake LSM's. Supports were great aside from the one small thing mentioned above, and you also did a good job in general of switching track spines properly. G's were also in check and it rode pretty smoothly. Nice job!
BT: 8.5
A: 9
O: 9.5
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why did you two build Maverick? The point of this round was to build a Cheetah Hunt inspired ride, NOT to build something exactly like Maverick.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Track #3
I would have preferred a horizontal launch to this lift hill thing you made, (and it would have worked fine) so it was more like Cheetah Hunt, but it works I guess. It transitions to the non-horizontal part pretty fast though. I would have made that slower. Supports on this lifthill also really needed some diagonal beams for lateral support. Next couple turns are fine, I just don't like how everything feels so incredibly rigid. Airhill after the turns is fine, but I feel like it's too steep for its own good and kind of slams you down after the air. The double dip thing you made is a good use of the terrain, but it's too violent in terms of rapid direction changes. Corkscrew didn't have the triangular snap at the top, but that is probably because it was too small for it to show up if it existed. Next launch is good and I like the air into the valley, however I do NOT like the sideways hill entry (was that needed at all?). Drop into the valley is good and so is the next turn even though it again suffers from the rigidity issue. The S-hill afterwards seems to do it's banking transition on a straight section like a wooden ride and then slams into the turn, which I really don't like. Next launch is decent and so are the turns after it, however, you twice made turns are the peaks of hills that are pretty much a crime against roller coasters. I've been unable to source where the idea that it's cool to make a normal hill where the top is a peaked turn that has a MASSIVE heartline swingout that immedately swings back it. It looks stupid, and stupid poop like this really detracts from the ride experience because it shows a total lack of care and general lazyness. The hill before the final air hill (the one banked like 90 degrees at the top) should not exist. I know the trackwork section of this rate is incredibly negative, I just don't see where people come up with the logic that all hills need to have -1 G's that then slam into a 3.5 G valley (very abruptly). The whole ride suffers from a serious rigidity issue compounded by the fact that you've made a very violent layout to begin with. Your weakest section of airtime is around -0.7, and that section slams into your strongest area of positive G's. Not every hill needs to be 70 degrees with ridiculous G slams. I'm not quite sure what the deal is with your supports either. All of your air hills need lateral support, and there is a section where the track spine goes straight through the support. It's like you think turns are the only thing that need lateral support. Anyways aside from the incredible violence you had a nice long layout, I just really would have preferred a more realistic layout. You seriously need to work on your trackwork though. There are plenty of areas where making a hill 10 degree less steep wouldn't affect G's much and would make the ride way smoother, and I really don't know what to blame your banking on except on a tool (this is newtonized isn't it?). Work on that stuff and study up on supports. I have a rough time scoring this since most excitement depended on bad G's, but you did use the terrain the best out of anyone.
BT: 4
A: 7
O: 10
Track #4
Drop is good, as were the turns afterwards. I feel like your corkscrew should have peaked more at the top with a good snap (see Fahrenheit). A couple sections in here I feel weren't heartlined enough, but at least you have smooth banking and the ride isn't overly violent in those sections. Second launch, hills, and turns after that were pretty good also. Your third launch is kind of hilarious because you get up to 70mph, do one hill, and then the ride slams into the brakes. As far as supports go, they were mostly good but I feel a few were a bit thin. I know I have problems when I'm making rides sometimes because I feel like a 3.5 sized support should exist for B&M's and it doesn't. I'd imagine a 2.5 would come in very handy as well in places like the turn after your corkscrew. I would swear you had a collision on the first turn after the MCBR, but I checked it and you don't so good work with ?????????visualness????????? there. Second launch is good and I like your use of the terrain. Your dive out of the high turn reminds of the drop on Colossus (Thorpe), and I really liked how it kind of squiggles down in an S. Third launch is neat (great use of trenches), but I don't like how it abruptly ended. I know Cheetah Hunt does the same thing, but I feel like the 1 extra turn it has really makes a difference. Ride was pretty realistic overal, but I feel like it focused a bit too much on overbanked turns and helices. You could have added a couple S hills to places without modifying the layout much in places (exit of the big helix before the third launch), and I also don't feel like Intamin makes that many full helices on a ride but I won't dock you for it since I know random rides do do that. I like the little LIMs on the launches and your use of terrain on the ride, but I feel like it needed something a tiny bit more in terms of layout. It was still fun but I was left wanting more. Your trackwork overall was a bit pumpy in places, but you did surprisingly well for the few vertices you used. There are definitely some pumps, bumps, and ?????????special areas????????? but it isn't anything super noticeable in the sim. For what the trackwork is it's quite impressive (I go out of my way to avoid radius changing helices because I know how much they suck to make and you didn't). Supports have thickness issues like I mentioned, but overall good job on making a fun ride.
BT: 7
A: 7
O: 8
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post July 15th, 2011, 11:52 am
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,527.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

Ratings Averages out
1 - 7.97
2 - 8.66
3 - 7.33
4 - 7.44

Tracks Identified:
1 - Metazoanhaddock
2 - Jakizle
3 - gazag
4 - gouldy

Therefore, in fourth place we have gazag!
Third place by just an eye brow, gouldy!
Second place by a fart, Metazoanhaddock!
First place, by taking the win again, Jakizle!

Congrats Jakizle, you are the winner of this tournament!
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post July 15th, 2011, 12:13 pm

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

Sweet! I really liked how the ride turned out this round. Thanks for the rates Oscar.

Post July 15th, 2011, 12:34 pm

Points on hand: 5,761.00 Points

i knew i would come 4th but thats fine with me, all jedges made some valid point about my tracks and thanks for taking the time guys. overall i dont think i did to bad for 10 days work where everyone else got 3-4 weeks so yes my support work was bad and i was rushing it but i got it finnished and im pretty happy with the result.

again thanks guys and looking forward to next year
Making screams come true

Post July 15th, 2011, 12:37 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

Gazag I apologize for the negative rate

And yes that was fairly good for 10 days work, and I'd imagine you are fairly new at the tools

Post July 15th, 2011, 12:45 pm
Metazoanhaddock User avatar

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points
Bank: 52,337.00 Points
I finished mine in about 14 days...
Head Moderator
Director, Structural Engineer - PEAK Amusements
Site Contest Judge (Supporting)
Chatroom Admin

Post July 15th, 2011, 12:49 pm

dont apologize mate, you learn from constructive critasism like that, i can take that and make better coasters so thank you
and yes tools are very new to me, but they make it very quick to build great layouts so that was how it was done
Making screams come true

Post July 15th, 2011, 12:59 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

Originally posted by Metazoanhaddock

You don't have a job. Gazag has a job and things going on in his life.

"I AM A TEENAGER WITH CONSIDERABLY MORE FREE TIME AND USED 40% MORE TIME BECAUSE I 'HAD' TO GO ON ANOTHER SUMMER VACATION AFTERWARDS WAAAAAHHHHHHH."

Not like I respect you to begin with anyways.

Every time you delete this post Meta I'll repost it FYI.

Post July 15th, 2011, 2:41 pm

Originally posted by Coasterkidmwm

life????
Making screams come true

Post July 15th, 2011, 3:21 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,798.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Congrats Jakizle!

Although it has seemed to drag on at times, this contest has been pretty awesome, thanks guys!

And thanks to the judges for taking the time out to rate the coasters. Been there, done that, know how soul destroying it is [lol]

Post July 15th, 2011, 3:30 pm

Points on hand: 5,394.00 Points
Bank: 1,660.00 Points
Meta, just leave it. He has to use alcohol to make his life worth living for. Sometimes, he just doesn't know how to act responsibly.
Oh, were you expecting something here?

Post July 15th, 2011, 3:38 pm
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

CJD's RATINGS:

I think the biggest challenge in this round of the contest was in the pacing department... making each of the three launches feel like they were in there for a reason, and feel like they actually mattered. A lot of these coasters just didn't get this right. In many cases there was still too much speed left when another launch occurred, or there wasn't enough of a change in the pacing and thus the whole ride blended together, or various other things that just made the extra launches feel either weird or unnecessary. Most of the coasters had good technical and good adrenaline, so it really came down to pacing and sequencing.

Coaster "1" (Metazoanhaddock)

Overall Impression:
Good solid ride. It was butter-smooth, with only a couple of odd moments, the adrenaline was generally fast and intense through the whole ride, and the sequencing only had a few hiccups.

Technical:
Beautifully smooth track, and there were only one or two places where I felt the banking transitions were a little bit awkward. The double-humped-outside-banked thing was the most obvious of these. It just felt really weird, and un-intamin-like. The drop off the MCBR was also a bit un-Intamin, feeling like a standard force-based curved drop rather than the generally-more-sweeping Intamin drop-curves. Plus I've now officially joined the club that is just downright annoyed by the overuse of outside banking on Intamin coasters. They have never done it, and in this case it added absolutely nothing to the ride. The many times that you used it only served to showcase that you did what the force-based design program let you do rather than taking full charge and dictating the shaping to make it more Intamin-like. Still, those are my only three complaints, and they are relatively minor. G's were well in-range, and I didn't see any e-stop issues or a single tunnel test intrusion. 8.5/10 in shaping with no deductions.

Adrenaline:
One of the things I love about this coaster is the airtime. You threw in a ton of airtime sprinkled throughout the track's length, and yet every single instance of it was different... differing intensities, different ways it was executed, and different elements it came from. That's a fantastic thing. IMO, though, there wasn't quite enough of the sensation of speed and scope. The coaster was always doing ?????????stuff,????????? and had a ton of elements, so the rider never really had a chance to catch their bearings and get a true sense of speed like they do on Cheetah Hunt. The actual intensity of this coaster was in the ?????????very good????????? category. As mentioned, the airtime was great. The turns were about right intensity-wise, but the problem was that you just had too many turns and hills at your highest g amounts... lots of turns in the 3.5-4 range, and most of the ejector air was right near -.8. Plus these high-intensity moments were too evenly-spaced throughout the coaster, so there wasn't really a good chance for any of those ?????????wow, that was intense!????????? moments. This relates to both intensity and pacing. While the elements themselves were well spread-out and distinguishable, their intensity wasn't. As I have mentioned many times, the key to good pacing is contrast, kind of like a great epic movie. Take some time to set up the scope, tease the rider with some hints of high-g moments, and then when you finally do have the highest-intensity moments, they will stand out much more, and leave people saying ?????????wow!????????? This coaster, while fast and intense, just had too much stuff going on, and not enough g-contrast, so it missed out on the wow factor. But overall, a very exciting coaster.

Originality:
Here is where I have to say it. I HATE your launch out of the station. If you're going to bother to launch the riders right off the bat, at least do something. You did nothing with that speed, just taking a mid-g ground turn and then going straight into the ?????????real????????? first launch. There was nothing redeeming about that first section, and the coaster would have been just as good if it coasted out of the station and just rolled into the first launch. If it were something like Volcano: the Blast Coaster, where the first launch is the launch and then the second launch is like the overdrive, then I could have forgiven it, but this first launch was just too weak to generate that kind of feeling. So considering that this contest's biggest challenge was finding a good way to use all three launches, I have to dock you some big points here. Anyway, moving on, in general the sequencing was pretty good. There was a good variety of elements, mixing up the inversion with the diving turns and the left-right jaunt section in a way that was not the least bit repetitive or predictable, and the airtime placement was also quite good. The double-humped outside-banking hill may have been bad technically, but it did get you some originality points. So, yeah, I really don't have much to say here aside from the fact that I hate the first launch, and add in the thing I said about too much ?????????stuff????????? from the Pacing section. Oh, yeah, and the supports were fantastic as well.

Technical: 8.5 Adrenaline: 8.00 Originality: 8.25
Final Rating: 8.25

Coaster "2" (Jakizle)

Overall Impression:
This coaster is like Cheetah Hunt on steroids! The pacing and sequencing were absolutely fantastic, but the technical needed some work.

Technical:
The actual shaping of the elements, in terms of steepness and size, was very accurate. But their execution left something to be desired. There were a lot of small pumps, one or two awkward banking moments, and almost all of the turns were under-banked. And in extremely uncharactaristic fashion for me, I really don't have much else to say here. This is the finals, so you know exactly what I'm talking about. 8/10 in shaping. Beyond that, you lose another .25 for an overhead tunnel-test infraction just before the third launch, and that's it.

Adrenaline:
In many ways, especially in the intensity department, this coaster trounces Cheetah Hunt. The numerous pops of airtime are spectacular, as is that amazingly-perfect -1.3 airtime hill. I could not have asked for a better airtime hill than that. Fantastic execution there! The beginning was much better than Cheetah Hunt's, with a pop of air and an intense ground turn, the twisty entrance to the tower was much more interesting, plus had great intense positive g's and airtime on it, the pause at the top was a great little anticipatory teaser for the insanity to come, then the long run out to the third launch was just spectacular in terms of cranking up the sensation of speed, the out-of-control feeling, and the airtime in the hill-transitions. I loved it! Then came the third launch and that absolutely-perfect ejector-airtime hill. Up to this point, I have had basically no complaints whatsoever. But then the ending is unfortunately a let-down. It's not that the elements are bad or anything, it's just that it's over too quickly. With the pacing set-up that you had, with the long middle run between the second and third launches, I was expecting one hell of a grand finale to cap off all of the fantastic intensity that I had experienced to that point. But then it was abruptly over, and I was bummed. Still, this was fantastic stuff. It had the slow sections for scope, it had the intense runs of elements, it had the teasers and the surprises, and the only problem whatsoever was that pacing error in the last section. Big points here! With a grander finale, I would easily have given this coaster a score in the mid-9's.

Originality:
Fantastic sequencing! One of the recurring problems with low-to-the-ground launched coasters is that they just keep doing hill after turn after hill after turn, and the whole thing just becomes an indistinguishable jumbled mess where nothing stands out. This was not one of those coasters. The selection and the spacing of your elements was a clear and definite sequence, with perfectly-placed pauses that subdivided the coaster into manageable sections and made it really easy to tell where you were in the ride just so that it could surprise you all over again. In general, I have few complaints if any at all. I loved your original element, and this is one of the most realistically-sequenced coasters in this whole contest in terms of element placement and making each of those elements count. Great job!

Technical: 7.75 Adrenaline: 8.75 Originality: 8.75
Final Rating: 8.42

Coaster "3" (gazag)

Overall Impression:
This was easily my least-favorite coaster in this round. The shaping was honestly just downright terrible, and unlike coaster #2 which really felt like it had a definite plan, this one just felt like it was aimlessly wandering around all over the place.

Technical:
This is just absolutely terrible. There was no flow whatsoever. This coaster almost entirely consisted of sustained banking quickly jerking to another sustained banking value. Please, watch a POV of any Intamin coaster. They NEVER do this. The only time they have done such a thing was on the beginning of Maverick, and even then the majority of the coaster was still the smooth, flowing, gradual Intamin-standard transitions. Cheetah Hunt especially is made entirely of these gradual swooping banking transitions. This coaster didn't have a single one of these. Every single transition was abrupt, hard-edged, and very jerky. Plus I noticed that there was almost no inter-turn g-force variation. This is a clear symtom of letting the easiest form of turn-creation software in Newton/FVD dictate the shaping of the coaster, with no attempt at all to ebb and flow it like a real coaster. I've said this more times already in this contest than I would like to. Just please, don't hold the g-forces like that. Look at the g-force graph for Superman: ROS at SFNE. There are almost NO continuous sustained g-forces. They increase, they decrease, they make the ride both smooth and unpredictable. Not only are they innacurate, but continuous g-forces are boring and predictable. You get the idea. Terrible shaping. 7/10. In addition to that, the g's on the first drop were too extreme at -1.6 in the back, and there was a major undercarriage support collision near the end of the ride, costing you another .25 each.

Adrenaline:
Here's a tip when it comes to creative works in general: one or two extremely strong and well-defined ideas are much better than 20 mediocre ones. This coaster suffered from just being too long, and just not seeming to have a focus. It just kept doing element after element, long past the point of interest, until it ended. You tacked the 3-launch problem by actually doing 3 full-fledged launches, and in this case it just didn't work. By the end of the second launch, I was already asking myself ?????????does this thing ever end?????????? And after that point, there is nothing of interest left that the coaster hasn't done already. I think this ride would have been much better-served if it stuck with the Maverick-like beginning, and then just used the other 2 launches as ?????????you think it's over? Think again!????????? speed-boost moments to kick the intensity into overdrive for the finale. Intensity-wise, the actual value of the g's were good, but their execution and placement were terrible. Again, having a turn that just holds at 2 g's, or holds at 3 g's with no variation in the forces whatsoever is dreadfully boring and gets repetitive quickly. And the airtime... you just can't do sustained -.8 negative g's. I'm sorry. It's just not a fun experience when you're plastered to the top of your OTSR's over the whole hill. It's much more fun when it's gradual, and you suddenly whip over the top and are lifted forcefully out of your seat for just that brief moment. Moving back to pacing, there were a couple of good moments. I did really love that huge drop off the waterfall hill after the pause. The rest of the coaster was just a big jumbled mess, though, keeping the same speed and intensity far too long and just doing way too much to ever keep track of where you are and whether you should be surprised or not.

Originality:
There was some real potential here, but again, you needed to stick to one or two strong ideas and have a definite plan rather than just letting the coaster aimlessly wander around like you did. The Maverick section was a strong idea. The big drop was a strong idea. The rest of the coaster was just hills and turns, hills and turns, hills and turns. So the sequencing lost me. And at this point, I believe I've said enough already. Supports also needed some work, as they were way too basic.

Technical: 6.50 Adrenaline: 7.75 Originality: 7.50
Final Rating: 7.33

Coaster "4" (Gouldy)

Overall Impression:
This coaster had its moments, but let me down an awful lot as well. Technical needed a bit more heartlining work, adrenaline was good but missed a lot of potential, and sequencing was pretty good.

Technical:
This was very good for hand-built, although the banking execution was slightly inferior to coaster #2. There were some clear moments where turns needed more heartlining, and needed more banking (there were some .9-lateral-g moments.) It was pretty smooth, having only some occasional pumps, and overall was a very good job. The effort to emulate the Intamin style is clear, especially in the shaping of the first drop. Plus it definitely had good flow, a bit better than the other hand-built track, so in the end the two of you end about equal, and I'll give this coaster the same 8/10. Tunnel test was 100% clean, and no other issues at all.

Adrenaline:
There were two parts of this coaster that disappointed me. The first was the last section just before the MCBR. There was a series of 2 hill-transitions. The first one had no airtime at all, and the second one only very briefly jumped up to about -.1. That disappointed me a bit, especially since there were 2 airless elements immediately before it, and the MCBR immediately after it. I was expecting air in that place, and didn't get it, so I was disappointed. That was a more minor grievance, though. The second one was a pretty big pacing issue. I LOVED the way you used the third launch like a turbo-boost, but then the coaster was over within 5 seconds after that launch. You wasted so much speed and potential by ending the coaster so abruptly after that insane launch and ensuing ejector-air hill. It actually made me upset that it ended so quickly. Nonetheless, I really don't have many complaints overall. The intensity was near-perfect. The sustained g's on the turn after the drop were fantastically intense, and then the ejector airtime on the last run of hills was just wonderful, with near-perfect execution that would just briefly send riders forcefully shooting up out of their seats. There were times that this coaster bordered on doing too many airless turns, but the big payoff was worth the wait. I just wish that payoff was longer.

Originality:
Although the semi-slow section in the middle wasn't the most interesting in the world to ride, it did have one big advantage: it made that ending feel absolutely insane. After the intense beginning, the coaster stayed at the same medium intensity for quite a while. Then it sped up just a little bit, giving the rider heavy floater air instead of light floater, then ejector, and then all of a sudden, coming right the hell out of nowhere, it just went completely insane, jumping all the way up to the maximum-intensity -1.3. That is just AMAZING sequencing. I love it when a coaster gets more and more intense through the whole ride, especially when that transition is sudden and jarring and thus a big surprise. I also really have to give you props for how meticulously you managed to control the g's, making the opening ground turn just the right intensity for an Intimidator-305 feel, and the corkscrew have just the right shaping to give the rider that floating feeling like on Maverick, and then the near-perfect execution of the big ejector airtime hill at the end. I can tell you put a lot of work into this. And the only reason I am giving this coaster an 8.5 in this category is because the middle of the coaster wasn't as interesting as on coaster #2, and I gave that one an 8.75, so you have to get a slightly lower score than that. Still, fantastic work.

Technical: 8.00 Adrenaline: 8.5 Originality: 8.5
Final Rating: 8.33

Post July 15th, 2011, 4:08 pm

Points on hand: 777.00 Points
Good job Jakizle!
And also congratulations for Metazoanhaddock, gouldy and gazag!
[:D][worship]
my Last coaster: NLT2011 round2 => MaDcAt (NoLimits) MINECRAFT ADDICTED

Post July 15th, 2011, 5:41 pm
Metazoanhaddock User avatar

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points
Bank: 52,337.00 Points
Thanks! Also, thank you to the judges for taking time out of their busy schedules to rate our tracks, in addition, special thanks to hyyyper for creating some amazing templates that were both fun and challenging. I look forward to competing next year.

As of yet, I am unsure as to whether or not I'll be posting the ride just yet, there are a few issues I have yet to sort out before I can even think about release. Sorry :(

Edit:
Originally posted by Coasterkidmwm

Originally posted by Metazoanhaddock

"I AM A TEENAGER WITH CONSIDERABLY MORE FREE TIME AND USED 40% MORE TIME BECAUSE I 'HAD' TO GO ON ANOTHER SUMMER VACATION AFTERWARDS WAAAAAHHHHHHH."

Not like I respect you to begin with anyways.

Every time you delete this post Meta I'll repost it FYI.

At the beginning of the round, I had school which lasted from basicaly when I woke up, followed by studying for finals, so I really only got about an hour or two done a day, Once school was out, I had summer school which lasted from 9-5, with homework, I had maybe an hour or two per day for those three days. Then, I had to turn mine in early due to my parents giving me the wrong travel information (the trip I took, BTW, was not one I looked forward to, in fact, I didn't want to go on the trip initially, but m parents forced me to). You always seem to assume things without the proper information.

As for your petty threat, I'm not one to try to make enemies, so I'm not going to do poop about it now, but i may not be so lenient in the future.
Head Moderator
Director, Structural Engineer - PEAK Amusements
Site Contest Judge (Supporting)
Chatroom Admin

Post July 18th, 2011, 9:26 am

Points on hand: 1,464.00 Points
Congrats to Jakizle and to Meta, Gouldy and Gazag who have reached a great position in the competition! [:)]

... And, will the tracks be released?

Post July 18th, 2011, 9:56 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,798.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

I may release all of my tracks in one, or something to that effect. None of them would make the cut if it were that I was making them for the exchange. You understand, I like to spend 5,6,7 months on each ride for a reason [lol] These rides were literally thrown together, I think it will be the same story for the other guys in the competition as well.

I agree almost 100% with everything the judges said about my coaster in the this last round and if I was to pick one coaster out the competition to upload, it would be that one, but it needs a ton of work doing - some of the trackwork was terrible! [lol]

Post July 18th, 2011, 1:53 pm

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

Yeah, I think we are all in the same boat (hell I haven't released any projects in a year). I might post the Intamin though just for fun. It was just ok :P

Post July 18th, 2011, 2:10 pm

Points on hand: 2,153.00 Points
can we see the rides posted
from the 2nd round to this round :D
i would love to see them and such

Post July 18th, 2011, 3:20 pm

i shall uplad mine tonight, it would be nice if we all did it so we could see eachothers tracks and compare
Making screams come true

Previous

Return to Contests