Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Alton Towers - SW7 - "The Smiler"

Alton Towers - SW7 - "The Smiler"

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post April 1st, 2011, 5:26 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,753.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

SW7 is scheduled to open for either the 2013 or 2014 season depending on what happens during it's development. Is it too early to begin discussing it?

After the major fail that was Th13teen; Alton Towers, it seems, are keen to get back to providing thrill rides, rather than family rides. SW7 will be another "World first", hence the "Secret Weapon" tag, only unlike Th13teen, SW7 is set to be directed squarely at thrillseekers (which is pretty exciting news).

Design and development has supposedly gotten underway today, so let's start pointlessly pondering what we could be looking at [lol]

Here are some news sources:

http://www.themeparktourist.com/news/20 ... ject-kicks

http://www.ukparknews.co.uk/entry/cms/?p=4260

The usual rumours have already begun. It's been "4D coaster" this, and "dropping into the valley" that. But, what do you think?
Last edited by gouldy on January 21st, 2013, 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post April 1st, 2011, 2:40 pm

Points on hand: 5,761.00 Points

th13teen was not a fail, its a fantastically themed coaster that had some way over the top advertising. the experience of the ride and what it was designed to do is excelent and excells.
it was not a fail, just a fail of advertising

SW7 i think will be a B&M. either a classic sit down or a wingrider. heavyly themed and either in coaster corner or over at the back of air on the carpark. (unlike the americans we will get rid of the carpark not just build ontop of it)
im shue there will be alot of rumers and other things going around though
Making screams come true

Post April 1st, 2011, 2:59 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

^How would either of those things make it a "world first", though?

Post April 1st, 2011, 3:34 pm

it depends on what they do with it dosent it? if it wasent for the drop would th13teen of been a world first?
Making screams come true

Post April 1st, 2011, 3:41 pm

Points on hand: 7,125.00 Points

Originally posted by gazag

it depends on what they do with it dosent it? if it wasent for the drop would th13teen of been a world first?

key.

Post April 1st, 2011, 4:32 pm

Points on hand: 2,652.00 Points
Bank: 2,739.00 Points

I smell a 150 MPH launched wing-rider, actually, that would be cool if it weren't for the engineering and maintenance nightmare it would be.
"if you found your laughin' place, how come you ain't laughin'."https://www.facebook.com/calicoaster1/

Post April 1st, 2011, 5:14 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

I doubt very much that it will be a classic B&M sitdown though, Gaz.

There's only one thing that we can say categorically that it will not be, though, and that is a woody. Alton Towers have now underlined the fact that for the foreseeable future, there will not be a wooden coaster at Alton Towers. Their surveys have shown them that the retarded British general public views wooden coasters as "unsafe"... thanks a lot, general public.

Post April 1st, 2011, 5:17 pm

i would like to see a wing rider at alton, a woodie would be even better but a woodie for the towers isnt going to happen for a long time IMO.
Making screams come true

Post April 1st, 2011, 5:36 pm

Points on hand: 2,652.00 Points
Bank: 2,739.00 Points

^or ever, according to the article about SW7.
"if you found your laughin' place, how come you ain't laughin'."https://www.facebook.com/calicoaster1/

Post April 1st, 2011, 6:05 pm

Points on hand: 636.00 Points
It could be first of its kind by being the B&M 4D with spinning seats! BUt I also guess that there are rides out there with spinning seats. IDK

Post August 23rd, 2011, 3:47 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

*ahem* Attention gentlemen, we have the first rumblings.

http://www.ukparknews.co.uk/entry/cms/?p=6097

Let the wholly outlandish claims and speculation begin!

Pirate themed B&M?

"Blacks Marauders, many of whom have seen the weapon in action first hand are echoing Blacks claims as to its awesome might."

It almost seems like they've used the name "Black Marauders", as if to hint B&M

Post August 23rd, 2011, 5:09 pm

theres alot of hits of a B&M in there but it may be to throw the enthusiasts off the scent of what it will be. as i said on facebook. mack engineers have been seen on site however B&M engineers havent.

like th13teen at this point it will be there job to throw the enthusiast comnmunity as much off track as possable. we will know whats going on way befor the genral pubic will anyway but they dont want us finding out too early now do they
Making screams come true

Post August 23rd, 2011, 5:27 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Who has seen Mack engineers on site? A Mack would be cool as well, but I'd like to see images of Mack vehicles at Alton Towers to believe that that had actually happened.

Given AT's proven relationship with B&M (other than their recent failed ventures with Intamin), coupled with the hints they're giving, I think we can be pretty sure that it'll be B&M. But none of us "know" and we'll have to see in time I guess.

Post August 23rd, 2011, 5:40 pm
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,053.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
The worlds first racist rollercoaster. Heard it here first.
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post August 24th, 2011, 7:50 am

Points on hand: 85.00 Points
Bank: 2,503.00 Points
$90 says it's another wing-rider from B&M (if it's B&M).

Post August 24th, 2011, 8:18 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

My suspicion leads me to think it will probably be another Wing-Rider as well, if it is indeed a B&M. However, that in itself wouldn't make it a "Secret Weapon", as there would be no "world first" unless there was some particular new element or something. But considering they've already done DropTrack on Th13teen, it can't be that.

We can't forget that Intamin is also from Switzerland, so that particular hint could mean either company. The thing that sparked that it may probably B&M is the "Black Marauders" bit, which certainly seems to be too much of a hint to be written off as just coincidental.

AT used to have a great relationship with B&M, building 3 B&M coasters in a row. But after Air was built, what with all of it's problems, it seemed as if AT had fallen out with B&M, next building a spinner followed by a succession of Intamins. But, after the problems they had with Th13teen's installation, could the same thing have happened to their relationship with Intamin? This is probably all just nonsense, though [lol]

Post August 24th, 2011, 8:41 am

Points on hand: 3,283.00 Points

If its replacing the flume though, thats leaving Alton Towers with only one major water ride being the rapids?! I know the flume site is huge, and could be a great spot for a coaster, but i'll be sad to see it go, as to me a log flume is a staple ride for any theme park. Could we maybe see some sort of water based element on this coaster, to make up for replacing a water ride? Just wild speculation there. There has always been a little talk about Alton Towers getting an Aquatrax over the years. And Intamin are from Switzerland too, like Gouldy said. First inverting Aquatrax? Haha, i like how i have just totally plucked this out of the air.

To be honest, i do hope it is a B&M rather than an Intamin or Mack etc. And a Wing rider does seem like a sensible guess, but with Thorpe getting one, i just don't know whether Alton would install one too. Whatever it is, i really hope it's intense. I feel Alton Towers hasn't really had a ride that scares customers shitless since Oblivion. Air's a great ride, but its gentle, Rita just relies on its launch, its a rush, but it just doesn't live up to Nemesis or Oblivion in my opinion for intimidation factor, and lets not even mention Thirteen - massive fail on the advertising front.

Post August 24th, 2011, 11:01 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

They literally haven't built a thrilling roller coaster since Oblivion, and Nemesis before that. Oblivion was, what... 13 and a bit years ago now? It really is time we had another genuine white-knuckle ride. Their ride collection is really beginning to look a little drab, don't you think? I mean, were it not for Nemesis, I'm not sure whether I'd ever really go...

Post August 24th, 2011, 12:35 pm

Points on hand: 1,843.00 Points

Here's my wild speculation:

Most Likely: B&M Wingrider.
Less likely: B&M Floorless.
Completely ridiculous (but awesome): 4D B&M.

Post August 24th, 2011, 12:51 pm

lol i cannot ever see B&M doing a 4D. i still think its going to be more to do with the layout and an element that what train its going to have

ohh and on a side note, alton towers have submited a planning aplication for an indoor atraction next year

http://publicaccess.staffsmoorlands.gov ... TY&module=
Making screams come true

Post August 24th, 2011, 12:52 pm
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,053.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
Originally posted by gouldy

They literally haven't built a thrilling roller coaster since Oblivion, and Nemesis before that. Oblivion was, what... 13 and a bit years ago now? It really is time we had another genuine white-knuckle ride. Their ride collection is really beginning to look a little drab, don't you think? I mean, were it not for Nemesis, I'm not sure whether I'd ever really go...

Fully agreed. I'd take corkscrew being back over 13 and Rita :)
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post August 24th, 2011, 1:06 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Originally posted by Wing-Over

It's probably not as ridiculous as you probably first think. For all we know, the Wing-Riders may have been simply B&M testing the stability of their outboard seats for "their new 4D coaster type".

I doubt it, but it's not like it's beyond the realms of possiblity.

What you have to remember though, is that a B&M 4D couldn't be advertised by Merlin as a "world first", could it? There are already 4D coasters, so they'd have to advertise it as "the worlds first B&M 4D coaster". Most people would just think:... the hell is a B&M? Then again, I suppose that hasn't stopped them before, there were already flying coasters when they debuted "The first Flying roller coaster in the world" and "The World's first vertical drop" isn't even vertical... so I'm sure they could be creative enough to claim that a B&M 4d was a world first.

Still though, all that said and done, I'm pretty sure B&M won't ever do a 4D

Post August 24th, 2011, 2:02 pm

Points on hand: 1,843.00 Points

Originally posted by gouldy

Originally posted by Wing-Over

It's probably not as ridiculous as you probably first think. For all we know, the Wing-Riders may have been simply B&M testing the stability of their outboard seats for "their new 4D coaster type".

I doubt it, but it's not like it's beyond the realms of possiblity.

Thinking about it, I think controlled rotation like X2 will never happen because it would require completely different track including extra rails to control the rotation, and when have we ever seen B&M change their track shape? (Except for maybe tweaking the size of the spine or shape of the ties?)

Free rotation, now maybe that's possible, but definitely unlikely for SW7.

Post August 24th, 2011, 2:42 pm
GavG Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 973.00 Points
Bank: 950.00 Points
Originally posted by gazag

lol i cannot ever see B&M doing a 4D. i still think its going to be more to do with the layout and an element that what train its going to have

ohh and on a side note, alton towers have submited a planning aplication for an indoor atraction next year

http://publicaccess.staffsmoorlands.gov ... TY&module=

Links not working for me :/

I will be nice to see something in the black hole tent finally.

With the new ride I am hoping like Gouldy that it will be a white knuckle ride and not the familly friendly style they have been going for. I think a wing rider that wasn't 4d would be poor at Towers with the height restriction's that are in place. I am looking forward to see what transpires from this and wish it will be something to be proud of.

Post August 24th, 2011, 4:00 pm

Points on hand: 85.00 Points
Bank: 2,503.00 Points
What I'm guessing will happen: B&M wing-rider
What I want to happen: kick-ass GCI terrain flyer

Next

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!