Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Boomerang at Knott's Berry Farm to Close April 23rd!

Boomerang at Knott's Berry Farm to Close April 23rd!

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Points on hand: 6,049.50 Points

Splash Battle?

Knotts already has a log flume and rapids ride, would not make sense for them to go down the route of yet another large water ride in the collection.

stevecoaster User avatar
CoasterCrazy Media
CoasterCrazy Media

Points on hand: 3,031.00 Points

I would be annoyed at CF if this isn't replaced with a large coaster. Knott's makes a TON of money for Cedar Fair. I still think a Dive Coaster is totally possible (would have to be very compact although) with Boomerang, riptide, the blank spec of land next to pony express(good place for a dive loop). A splashdown like on SheiKra does get people wet spectating if they choose. I just think Knott's is terribly overdue for a traditional hyper coaster.

Manic Monte wrote:
Heard from a good source that the new ride would not launch, and would interact folks walking the Boardwalk.

When I heard that I immediately thought "Splashdown".
Last edited by stevecoaster on March 31st, 2017, 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vasco XTR

Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Knotts has some odd rides in their collection that the others don't have (Sierra Sidewinder, Pony Express), so it'll interesting to see what they'll do in that spot. Could be something totally off the wall.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
It might be good to see the Hyper or 200 foot-tall Polar Coaster (defined as a custom model) coming as it doesn't take up much space, compared to typical large airtimers. I personally would love to see a next gen Toboggan-like track with the latest "loopy loop" elements.
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Points on hand: 4,033.00 Points
Mikey wrote:
Splash Battle?

Knotts already has a log flume and rapids ride, would not make sense for them to go down the route of yet another large water ride in the collection.

Not a Splash Battle, a Splashdown, as in hyper or dive splashdown element.
Intamin: The Force Awakens.

Points on hand: 5,955.00 Points
I really think a dive coaster would work here, but we shall see.
Ok but how desperate you have to be to voluntarily fly from another country to go to Thorpe?

Points on hand: 5,701.00 Points
If not a LSM launch coaster, a dive coaster is the option I see as most likely. Either would be a great fit for the park, and neither would be dominating in the way that Silver Bullet is (which is probably the biggest reason I'm skeptical of a hyper).
Coaster Count: 535 (114 wood, 444 steel); Park Count: 110
Top 5 Wood: El Toro, Voyage, Thunderhead, Outlaw Run, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel: Superman the Ride, Fury 325, Millennium Force, X2, Intimidator 305

Well, it closes tomorrow guys. There's light at the end of the tunnel!
Ok but how desperate you have to be to voluntarily fly from another country to go to Thorpe?

VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Points on hand: 10,818.00 Points
AttractionSpot posted this video of the final ride on Boomerang, and in the description, he says that it is rumored to be replaced by a Gerstlauer ride, and that it will be a high thrill coaster. Sounds like it might be something like a Eurofighter or an Infinity coaster, which would be a good fit for Knott's in my opinion.

He also said that Boomerang will be scrapped and will not be relocated, which is good news if your home park is Valleyfair, Dorney Park, or Michigan's Adventure. ;)
Last edited by VF15 on April 26th, 2017, 12:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
Happiness to both rides - Boomerang and a "rumored" Gerstlauer, I hope! :)
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
If it's a Gerstlauer I hope it doesn't go laughably slow like Monster.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

stevecoaster User avatar
CoasterCrazy Media
CoasterCrazy Media

Points on hand: 3,031.00 Points

Still don't know how to feel about this. Scrapped for a company in China?? Some steel company in SoCal didn't take it off their hands? I guess it all comes down to how the track is removed. There are still many boomerang models in operation and sending it to MIA would be a good idea in my opinion and of course supply new mk1212 trains. The Carowinds comment also does not make sense, flying cobras has mk1212 trains and they just repainted them. If anything the train will be used on the Carolina Cyclone. Then again it would not match the existing trains, the existing ones or those old 1 gen arrow trains, not the gen 2 like those on Vortex at KI.
Last edited by stevecoaster on April 26th, 2017, 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vasco XTR

Paradox wrote:
If it's a Gerstlauer I hope it doesn't go laughably slow like Monster.

THIS.

Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

Smiler clone. named Grinner. Do it.
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Points on hand: 5,701.00 Points
While I could see a Gerstlauer Infinity fitting in that spot, I am highly skeptical of AttractionSpot's claims. Not only do the rumors go against what most others are reporting, but they don't line up with what we're seeing (careful disassembly). There was also a response saying that since Cedar Fair purchased Knott's they haven't installed a custom ride, which is a very inaccurate statement. I could be wrong, but I don't believe anything claimed in that video.

At the moment, I am looking at two manufacturers: Mack and B&M. I could see either one being selected for the new coaster, but I would be very surprised if they get something by a different manufacturer. Could it happen? Yes, but I would bet against it until evidence proves otherwise. If nothing else, this will not be a small coaster or a stock model...Knott's wouldn't close Boomerang this early if they weren't getting something so big they need 40+ weeks to build it.
Coaster Count: 535 (114 wood, 444 steel); Park Count: 110
Top 5 Wood: El Toro, Voyage, Thunderhead, Outlaw Run, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel: Superman the Ride, Fury 325, Millennium Force, X2, Intimidator 305

Well it certainly doesn't look like it's going to be scrapped. I'm calling MA since Valleyfair just got North Star.

VF15 wrote:
AttractionSpot posted this video of the final ride on Boomerang, and in the description, he says that it is rumored to be replaced by a Gerstlauer ride, and that it will be a high thrill coaster. Sounds like it might be something like a Eurofighter or an Infinity coaster, which would be a good fit for Knott's in my opinion.

He also said that Boomerang will be scrapped and will not be relocated, which is good news if your home park is Valleyfair, Dorney Park, or Michigan's Adventure. ;)

This made me oddly emotional. Boomerang was my first ride on a "big" steel coaster as a kid.

rcdude wrote:
While I could see a Gerstlauer Infinity fitting in that spot, I am highly skeptical of AttractionSpot's claims. Not only do the rumors go against what most others are reporting, but they don't line up with what we're seeing (careful disassembly). There was also a response saying that since Cedar Fair purchased Knott's they haven't installed a custom ride, which is a very inaccurate statement. I could be wrong, but I don't believe anything claimed in that video.

At the moment, I am looking at two manufacturers: Mack and B&M. I could see either one being selected for the new coaster, but I would be very surprised if they get something by a different manufacturer. Could it happen? Yes, but I would bet against it until evidence proves otherwise. If nothing else, this will not be a small coaster or a stock model...Knott's wouldn't close Boomerang this early if they weren't getting something so big they need 40+ weeks to build it.

Agree completely. Even he GM of the park hinted at another B&M coming to the park. Guess we'll have to see.

Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
I hope it gets sent to Dorney and built near Stinger so that it can compete with SFNE's boomerang collection. I'll laugh my ass off.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Previous

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!